BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
Lux Angel Eyes
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-20-2008, 03:36 AM   #23
TLud
Colonel
 
TLud's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 Golf R
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Texas

Posts: 2,280
iTrader: (3)

Clearly, logic and common sense aren't your fortes, so this will be my last post on the subject. If someone wants to do 125 on a private or deserted road, or even an empty highway, so be it. I still don't agree, but I wouldn't bother saying anything. But that's not as bad as what the OP himself described: 125 mph on the freeway access road, which here in Houston, means a surface street. Generally, these access roads have perpendicular intersections, driveways to businesses fronting on the highway, etc.

Obviously, driving this way won't automatically kill someone, but there's a reason why if a cop had been around at the time, the OP would have gone straight to jail for reckless endangerment. I would pay to see him try to use the excuse to the cop that "no one was around and it seemed safe to me." If he had killed someone, he would have gotten negligent/vehicular homicide, manslaughter, or some similar charge.

I refuse to believe that "most people" would drive 125 on city surface streets or that such is a "routine" occurrence. I'm not sitting here ragging on people for speeding, going WOT, etc. The OP's driving AS HE HIMSELF DESCRIBED IT was extreme by nearly anyone's definition.

Peace.
TLud is offline   United_States
0
      08-20-2008, 03:44 AM   #24
Sticky
Banned
 
Drives: E92 Jerez DCT M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Anaheim Hills / Malibu

Posts: 2,244
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLud View Post
Clearly, logic and common sense aren't your fortes, so this will be my last post on the subject. If someone wants to do 125 on a private or deserted road, or even an empty highway, so be it. I still don't agree, but I wouldn't bother saying anything. But that's not as bad as what the OP himself described: 125 mph on the freeway access road, which here in Houston, means a surface street. Generally, these access roads have perpendicular intersections, driveways to businesses fronting on the highway, etc.

Obviously, driving this way won't automatically kill someone, but there's a reason why if a cop had been around at the time, the OP would have gone straight to jail for reckless endangerment. I would pay to see him try to use the excuse to the cop that "no one was around and it seemed safe to me." If he had killed someone, he would have gotten negligent/vehicular homicide, manslaughter, or some similar charge.

I refuse to believe that "most people" would drive 125 on city surface streets or that such is a "routine" occurrence. I'm not sitting here ragging on people for speeding, going WOT, etc. The OP's driving AS HE HIMSELF DESCRIBED IT was extreme by nearly anyone's definition.

Peace.
I took a leak on a dumpster the other day. I had to go, and I did not feel like waiting in line at Starbucks for the toilet. It seemed safe to me so I decided to do it. If a cop had been around, I would have gotten a ticket for it. It probably would be difficult to explain to him that it seemed ok to me. If a dog did the same thing, nothing. Since when do cops set the standards of what is right or wrong in society? Are you sure you should be questioning the logic of others?

I think "most people" who are performance enthusiasts get a little blood flowing when they hear the burble of a V8 next to them. I think most people start to get a little bit of adrenaline and I think it is difficult for most people not to give in to the urge to hit the gas. I would think common sense and a bit of experience would tell you that, but hey, that would compromise your argument.

The M3 is an extreme car, designed for extreme use, and it does these things extremely well.

The problem is we are in such a safety concious society that practically nothing is allowed anymore and what is left is restricted more and more. I for one, relish the thought that I can use my car how I see fit. I am in control of it. Naturally, if I decide to exceed posted limits I am taking a risk. However, who is to say that the posted limits are the safest? At the end of the day you decide how to use your vehicle and must live with the consequences.

I hate your line of thinking and I hate that people like you are eventually going to restrict all liberties in the name of safety.
Sticky is offline   United_States
0
      08-20-2008, 03:46 AM   #25
sayemthree
Brigadier General
 
sayemthree's Avatar
 
Drives: bmw
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: usa

Posts: 4,844
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3_for_the_money View Post
and dropped his hammer unexpectedly and hurried off in front only to be severed off by some ass in a truck nearly causing an accident only by his smart ass driving. :
sounds REAL safe!!!!!
sayemthree is offline  
0
      08-20-2008, 04:38 AM   #26
Sticky
Banned
 
Drives: E92 Jerez DCT M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Anaheim Hills / Malibu

Posts: 2,244
iTrader: (0)

Just wanted to add, I believe TLud is a stand up gentleman and there was/is no need for any animosity. No one has any desire to see anyone get hurt and young men behind the wheel of 400+ hp V8's have a tendency to think with their foot.
Sticky is offline   United_States
0
      08-20-2008, 04:44 AM   #27
TLud
Colonel
 
TLud's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 Golf R
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Texas

Posts: 2,280
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticky View Post
Just wanted to add, I believe TLud is a stand up gentleman and there was/is no need for any animosity. No one has any desire to see anyone get hurt and young men behind the wheel of 400+ hp V8's have a tendency to think with their foot.
Thanks and agreed.
TLud is offline   United_States
0
      08-20-2008, 08:00 AM   #28
Stunnerable
Captain
 
Stunnerable's Avatar
 
Drives: Nissan Rogue, 09 Jet Black M3
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Horsham, PA

Posts: 606
iTrader: (0)

Guys.. I am compelled to say something here. First off, I'm new to this forum so let me preface this with an introduction.. I'm 27 and from the East Coast. I am a "driver" and car nut if there ever was one. I have had the opportunity to drive many powerful cars including an insane 600HP 2nd Gen RX-7 race car. I have also autocrossed for years after attending several racing schools (I wanted to be a race car driver earlier in life but ran out of funds). It's been a few years since I had an M3 but I am about to buy a new e92 and I am so overjoyed I can't even describe it. I joined this forum a few weeks ago to learn more about the new M3 and meet some fellow enthusiasts along the way.. which I have done. However, I have noticed something over the last few weeks that I was not expecting to see. Many people on this site seem to be so caught up with being PC and projecting the image of a responsible adult to the point where they feel compelled to correct anyone who doesn't follow suite. Lets get real here.. We drive 420HP sport cars and we (well most of us hopefully) share a passion for driving. A guy comes on here and describes a little drag on the street with his new M3 he is proud of.. and may I add he said he had no cars in front of him, and he gets tared and feathered. He wasn't whipping in and out of traffic or racing through a residential zone.. it was a freaking access road! It was fun and 125mph in an M3 is no big deal. In Germany they do a lot faster than that all the time. Also, the GTO guy didn't HAVE to race him. If I roll up to a guy who is signaling me to race I will usually turn him down.. I use my discretion as anyone should. But if the situation is just right I will certainly have a little fun. After all, the reason I bought a sport car is to HAVE FUN. I'm not advocating street racing here.. but a little stop light competition is human nature. Just don't do anything stupid. Life is dangerous.. walking down the street has it's own level of danger.. Maybe some people shouldn't leave the house. I'm done.
Stunnerable is offline   United_States
0
      08-20-2008, 08:14 AM   #29
J08M3
Major General
 
J08M3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NEW YORK

Posts: 6,012
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stunnerable View Post
Guys.. I am compelled to say something here. First off, I'm new to this forum so let me preface this with an introduction.. I'm 27 and from the East Coast. I am a "driver" and car nut if there ever was one. I have had the opportunity to drive many powerful cars including an insane 600HP 2nd Gen RX-7 race car. I have also autocrossed for years after attending several racing schools (I wanted to be a race car driver earlier in life but ran out of funds). It's been a few years since I had an M3 but I am about to buy a new e92 and I am so overjoyed I can't even describe it. I joined this forum a few weeks ago to learn more about the new M3 and meet some fellow enthusiasts along the way.. which I have done. However, I have noticed something over the last few weeks that I was not expecting to see. Many people on this site seem to be so caught up with being PC and projecting the image of a responsible adult to the point where they feel compelled to correct anyone who doesn't follow suite. Lets get real here.. We drive 420HP sport cars and we (well most of us hopefully) share a passion for driving. A guy comes on here and describes a little drag on the street with his new M3 he is proud of.. and may I add he said he had no cars in front of him, and he gets tared and feathered. He wasn't whipping in and out of traffic or racing through a residential zone.. it was a freaking access road! It was fun and 125mph in an M3 is no big deal. In Germany they do a lot faster than that all the time. Also, the GTO guy didn't HAVE to race him. If I roll up to a guy who is signaling me to race I will usually turn him down.. I use my discretion as anyone should. But if the situation is just right I will certainly have a little fun. After all, the reason I bought a sport car is to HAVE FUN. I'm not advocating street racing here.. but a little stop light competition is human nature. Just don't do anything stupid. Life is dangerous.. walking down the street has it's own level of danger.. Maybe some people shouldn't leave the house. I'm done.
Agreed.
__________________
J08M3 is offline   United_States
0
      08-20-2008, 08:14 AM   #30
J08M3
Major General
 
J08M3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NEW YORK

Posts: 6,012
iTrader: (8)

and congrats on beating the GTO
__________________
J08M3 is offline   United_States
0
      08-20-2008, 08:15 AM   #31
xXsacsbimmerXx
Registered
 
Drives: 2003 330i ZHP
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: North Carolina

Posts: 3
iTrader: (0)

I'm sorry but where I'm from not only are the cops not allow to pursue a highspeed chase but when your going 125mph and have 400+ HP your not f*****g stopping. Why don't you people who are bit**ing just go join the "Mothers against street racing" or jump in front of TLud who by now is careeming down your street and end all of our misery.

Thank you kindly!
xXsacsbimmerXx is offline  
0
      08-20-2008, 08:19 AM   #32
BMWDEMON
Super modder
 
BMWDEMON's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3 & E46 M3 vert
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Annapolis, MD

Posts: 1,708
iTrader: (2)

WOW...craziness! Obviously the banter back and forth should have been taken to PM's and obviously you both have your opinions.

OP, I think being a little more careful next time would be something I would say to you but I don't blame you for wanting to put your foot down....Please be careful so that you have more opportunities to put your foot down on the track or in a much clearer open situation. Have fun with the new machine!

It is good to see a variety of opinions and strong personalities but most of the time I would ask posters (this is coming from a guy who is a HUGE BMW guy) to "throttle" it down a bit!!! I love this site! We all share the same passion for our cars, modifications and driving...perhaps a little more constructive rather than aggressive responses would "yield" a better post....just my sincere .02

M
__________________
2005 E46 M3 ZCP - I/B on black- DD modded
In the hunt for E90 M3 - AW/SG/JB on/or blk/rd less than 36K miles - Feb/March 14
mods in hand: Arkym CF bumper, Akro EVO system, Challenge diffuser, 20" Amuse BBS LM-Rs, Ohlins suspension, BBS lugs and center caps
mods coming soon: BBK, Frank Smith tune, Mode Carbon spoiler (1x1)
BMWDEMON is offline   United_States
0
      08-20-2008, 09:36 AM   #33
MrClean
Lieutenant
 
MrClean's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 EBII 428i
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Shangri LA

Posts: 431
iTrader: (1)

Stupid...
MrClean is offline  
0
      08-20-2008, 09:51 AM   #34
lucid
Major General
 
lucid's Avatar
 
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 8,034
iTrader: (0)

Folks arguing that street racing is not risky as some others claim, and that most driving related deaths are caused by drunk drivers should check stats in other parts of the world where law enforcement on this issue is lax, or close to non-existent, and you will see a very different story. In this country, if it wasn't for the cops clamping down on people who think streets are the place to race, we would see similar stats. It's one thing to have a bit of fun with your car when things are not busy on the streets, and another to drag race up to 125 mph on access roads, so I fully support TLud's position here. Take it to the track/strip...
__________________
lucid is offline   United_States
0
      08-20-2008, 10:00 AM   #35
ATS
Captain
 
ATS's Avatar
 
Drives: B8 S5
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NYC

Posts: 841
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stunnerable View Post
Guys.. I am compelled to say something here. First off, I'm new to this forum so let me preface this with an introduction.. I'm 27 and from the East Coast. I am a "driver" and car nut if there ever was one. I have had the opportunity to drive many powerful cars including an insane 600HP 2nd Gen RX-7 race car. I have also autocrossed for years after attending several racing schools (I wanted to be a race car driver earlier in life but ran out of funds). It's been a few years since I had an M3 but I am about to buy a new e92 and I am so overjoyed I can't even describe it. I joined this forum a few weeks ago to learn more about the new M3 and meet some fellow enthusiasts along the way.. which I have done. However, I have noticed something over the last few weeks that I was not expecting to see. Many people on this site seem to be so caught up with being PC and projecting the image of a responsible adult to the point where they feel compelled to correct anyone who doesn't follow suite. Lets get real here.. We drive 420HP sport cars and we (well most of us hopefully) share a passion for driving. A guy comes on here and describes a little drag on the street with his new M3 he is proud of.. and may I add he said he had no cars in front of him, and he gets tared and feathered. He wasn't whipping in and out of traffic or racing through a residential zone.. it was a freaking access road! It was fun and 125mph in an M3 is no big deal. In Germany they do a lot faster than that all the time. Also, the GTO guy didn't HAVE to race him. If I roll up to a guy who is signaling me to race I will usually turn him down.. I use my discretion as anyone should. But if the situation is just right I will certainly have a little fun. After all, the reason I bought a sport car is to HAVE FUN. I'm not advocating street racing here.. but a little stop light competition is human nature. Just don't do anything stupid. Life is dangerous.. walking down the street has it's own level of danger.. Maybe some people shouldn't leave the house. I'm done.
+10000000

Couldn't agree with you more!!!
ATS is offline   No_Country
0
      08-20-2008, 10:07 AM   #36
xsilvor
Captain
 
xsilvor's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Houston, TX

Posts: 823
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClean View Post
Stupid...
xsilvor is offline   United_States
0
      08-20-2008, 10:13 AM   #37
TLud
Colonel
 
TLud's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 Golf R
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Texas

Posts: 2,280
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWDEMON View Post
WOW...craziness! Obviously the banter back and forth should have been taken to PM's and obviously you both have your opinions.
It was taken to PMs and resolved amicably. I think that Sticky and I agree that we take calculated risks every day on the road and off, that the M3 is designed to handle much more than the posted speed limits, and that there's nothing wrong in having fun and driving aggressively in these cars as long as 3rd parties are not endangered.

That said, IMO the OP's driving, as he described it and given what I know of Houston freeway access roads (which are nothing like the autobahn), was way over the line. I plan to have fun and will definitely break a more than a few speed limits when my M3 comes in, but my point was to use good judgment, and IMO the OP did not. My general problem with street racing, as opposed to other forms of aggressive driving, is that the testosterone and adrenaline kicks in, and good judgment tends to go out the window. The OP's story got to me because of what happened to my friend and the fact that his story happened in my own city. The potential consequences become much more real when they happen to you or a loved one.

Be safe.
TLud is offline   United_States
0
      08-20-2008, 10:27 AM   #38
valeram
Major
 
Drives: E92 M3 DCT
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Dublin, OH

Posts: 1,322
iTrader: (0)

Both sides got a point. I for sure don't like to do some street illegal racing but there is this minute urge (animal instinct) in me. 90% of the time, I will (hoping I can) turn it down because there is no point and it is unsafe. As the good book says, "he that don't speed should criticise others that do". I am not in a position to say that what the OP has done is wrong even though I know that it is wrong. I have done it and it feels good initially until I realize the consequences if something bad happens. Since I was driving this car, I don't have the urge to speed up and show everyone that my car is fast. I know for the fact that it is and I don't need to prove it. Like yesterday, there was this G37 who was urging me to have a race. I didn't budge and besides my car is still in break-in period :->. The only way to prove it is through the track. Drive safely guys/gals and have some fun in a safe way.
valeram is offline  
0
      08-20-2008, 10:37 AM   #39
BMWDEMON
Super modder
 
BMWDEMON's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3 & E46 M3 vert
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Annapolis, MD

Posts: 1,708
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLud View Post
It was taken to PMs and resolved amicably. I think that Sticky and I agree that we take calculated risks every day on the road and off, that the M3 is designed to handle much more than the posted speed limits, and that there's nothing wrong in having fun and driving aggressively in these cars as long as 3rd parties are not endangered.

That said, IMO the OP's driving, as he described it and given what I know of Houston freeway access roads (which are nothing like the autobahn), was way over the line. I plan to have fun and will definitely break a more than a few speed limits when my M3 comes in, but my point was to use good judgment, and IMO the OP did not. My general problem with street racing, as opposed to other forms of aggressive driving, is that the testosterone and adrenaline kicks in, and good judgment tends to go out the window. The OP's story got to me because of what happened to my friend and the fact that his story happened in my own city. The potential consequences become much more real when they happen to you or a loved one.

Be safe.
agreed, well said! The urge to power up my car with the supercharger is constant but safety for other people always takes 1st place.

__________________
2005 E46 M3 ZCP - I/B on black- DD modded
In the hunt for E90 M3 - AW/SG/JB on/or blk/rd less than 36K miles - Feb/March 14
mods in hand: Arkym CF bumper, Akro EVO system, Challenge diffuser, 20" Amuse BBS LM-Rs, Ohlins suspension, BBS lugs and center caps
mods coming soon: BBK, Frank Smith tune, Mode Carbon spoiler (1x1)
BMWDEMON is offline   United_States
0
      08-20-2008, 10:49 AM   #40
Bikerjoy
Private
 
Drives: 2008 M3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: OK

Posts: 95
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3_for_the_money View Post
I

Before long he read between the lines on the road and dropped his hammer unexpectedly and hurried off in front only to be severed off by some ass in a truck nearly causing an accident only by his smart ass driving.
-3_for_the_money
Get this straight! If you are in traffic, "dropping the hammer", doing 125 mph on a public road or anything like that, nobody but YOU are (nearly) causing accidents.
__________________
2008 M3, Jerez Black, Premium Package, Technology Package, Moon Roof, Heated Seats, iPod adapter, SAT radio, Enhanced Premium Sound.
Bikerjoy is offline  
0
      08-20-2008, 11:53 AM   #41
Canyon Junkie
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Boulder, CO

Posts: 110
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stunnerable View Post
Guys.. I am compelled to say something here. First off, I'm new to this forum so let me preface this with an introduction.. I'm 27 and from the East Coast. I am a "driver" and car nut if there ever was one. I have had the opportunity to drive many powerful cars including an insane 600HP 2nd Gen RX-7 race car. I have also autocrossed for years after attending several racing schools (I wanted to be a race car driver earlier in life but ran out of funds). It's been a few years since I had an M3 but I am about to buy a new e92 and I am so overjoyed I can't even describe it. I joined this forum a few weeks ago to learn more about the new M3 and meet some fellow enthusiasts along the way.. which I have done. However, I have noticed something over the last few weeks that I was not expecting to see. Many people on this site seem to be so caught up with being PC and projecting the image of a responsible adult to the point where they feel compelled to correct anyone who doesn't follow suite. Lets get real here.. We drive 420HP sport cars and we (well most of us hopefully) share a passion for driving. A guy comes on here and describes a little drag on the street with his new M3 he is proud of.. and may I add he said he had no cars in front of him, and he gets tared and feathered. He wasn't whipping in and out of traffic or racing through a residential zone.. it was a freaking access road! It was fun and 125mph in an M3 is no big deal. In Germany they do a lot faster than that all the time. Also, the GTO guy didn't HAVE to race him. If I roll up to a guy who is signaling me to race I will usually turn him down.. I use my discretion as anyone should. But if the situation is just right I will certainly have a little fun. After all, the reason I bought a sport car is to HAVE FUN. I'm not advocating street racing here.. but a little stop light competition is human nature. Just don't do anything stupid. Life is dangerous.. walking down the street has it's own level of danger.. Maybe some people shouldn't leave the house. I'm done.
Agreed. Let's stop being vaginas about telling others on the forum about what they should and shouldn't do, or should and shouldn't say.
Canyon Junkie is offline   United_States
0
      08-20-2008, 12:13 PM   #42
Dascamel
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Dascamel's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 e92 M3, 2010 e91 328i
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bakersfield, CA

Posts: 1,662
iTrader: (0)

Don't forget the soccer mom running the stop sign in a 3-4 ton SUV cleaning you out. 125 mph might be a little excessive there, wasn't there, don't know the full situation, could the op pulled back sooner, sure.
__________________
2008 E92 M3 Jerez Black,DCT,Fox Red ext,Prem,Tech,19", ipod/usb, CF roof and trim
2010 E91 328i Space Gray,Black int, M sport, most options
2007 Montego Blue 335i (retired)
Dascamel is offline  
0
      08-20-2008, 12:31 PM   #43
stickypaws
Dictator
 
stickypaws's Avatar
 
Drives: people crazy
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: where you want to be

Posts: 1,817
iTrader: (0)

Exercise your "animal instincts" by taking it to the track on weekends. None of my track mates drive fast on the street or play "me faster than you, haha" at stop lights.

The sex is better on the track.

Street racing is like jerking off in public.
stickypaws is offline  
0
      08-20-2008, 12:38 PM   #44
Stunnerable
Captain
 
Stunnerable's Avatar
 
Drives: Nissan Rogue, 09 Jet Black M3
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Horsham, PA

Posts: 606
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickypaws View Post
Exercise your "animal instincts" by taking it to the track on weekends. None of my track mates drive fast on the street or play "me faster than you, haha" at stop lights.

The sex is better on the track.

Street racing is like jerking off in public.
As funny as that last part was I think your missing the point. I have a perfect driving record and all of my friends feel very safe with my driving... however, I do drive faster than anyone I know, but I never drive reckless. Tracking is obviously the place to get the full enjoyment out of a performance car but your track time represents a fraction of the time you'll spend behind the wheel of your car. I also have track friends and ALL of them drive spiritedly when off the track. Again, I am in no way advocating street racing, but I am saying enjoy your car and stop crying about people useing more than 40% throttle on public roads. Man.. this thread is insane!! We drive M3's people!!
Stunnerable is offline   United_States
0
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:23 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST