BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
GetBMWParts
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-19-2008, 10:10 PM   #1
3_for_the_money
New Member
 
Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan SSII/Ext.Bamboo
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Houston

Posts: 17
iTrader: (0)

Stop light victory #1

It seems like there's never a fair match up or a safe place and time to rev your motor...but today was different.

I was cruising next to a new GTO tonight and at safe driving speeds I cruised next to him speeding up when he did and slowing up to stay next him in a suggestive manner.

Before long he read between the lines on the road and dropped his hammer unexpectedly and hurried off in front only to be severed off by some ass in a truck nearly causing an accident only by his smart ass driving. The next light was the freeway service road so I stayed close behind him and signaled right as to offer a safe place to run our beasts.

Again we were thwarted by slow mving traffic but found our wayt to the front of the pack to find ourselves next to each other at the next light with nothing but daylight (open road) in front of us.

I initiate M Drive and rev to 4500 RPM to get his attention and insist on friendly competition, if there is such a thing.

The adjacent lights to yellow which clearly indicates a green light coming our way, and then...

I mishandled the throttle momentarily which was stabilized by DSC quickly to send me across the intersection in a flash leaving MR. GTO in a tailspin of smoke and rubber from his own tires.

3-4-5 car lengths grow as I hit 80 in about 6 seconds...100...110...125mph and he is struggling to stay in my rear view mirror.

So it was over for him and me feeling victorious after a long break in period of following the rules of 5000RPM and below.

This trial was long overdue, but certainly worht the wait.

Race safely, friends.

-3_for_the_money
3_for_the_money is offline  
0
      08-19-2008, 10:33 PM   #2
SHADY1
Hamann M3 Fan
 
SHADY1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 Jerez Black M3
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Killeen, Texas

Posts: 2,711
iTrader: (6)

Garage List
__________________

JZB,6MT, My mods 360 Forged 20inch wheels,VF650 Supercharger,SPEC Super Twin Disk Clutch,Hamann CF roof spoiler,H&R springs,CF grills,Hamann rear trunk spoiler,Hamann Side Skirts, ARKYM full CF bumper, Gintani Race exhaust, AA X-pipe catless,RPI scoops,AA SSK, Arkym CF Double Sided Vented Hood,Arkym CF rear Diffuser
SHADY1 is offline   United_States
0
      08-19-2008, 11:42 PM   #3
Kadarin
Ambassador of Crunk
 
Drives: SG/blk '08 E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: San Jose, CA

Posts: 606
iTrader: (0)

My opinion, having simultaneously owned both an '05 GTO and my M3, is that the cars are pretty much equally fast in a straight line. However, the GTO is highly prone to excessive wheelspin off the line due to the 400 lb-ft of torque that kick in at ridiculously low rpm.
Kadarin is offline   United_States
0
      08-19-2008, 11:58 PM   #4
elcarajo
Enlisted Member
 
elcarajo's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3, 6MT JzB/FR 19s no mods
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Maine

Posts: 48
iTrader: (0)

Congrats - and thanks for the detailed write-up. It improved my day
__________________
elcarajo is offline   United_States
0
      08-20-2008, 01:12 AM   #5
Davinhci
Colonel
 
Davinhci's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 M3 E92 & 08 E70 X5 4.8
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Austin, TX

Posts: 2,474
iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
nice
__________________

08 E92 AW M3 | HRE P40 19" | APE Air Filter | BMW Performance Grills | White Side Gills | CF Mirror Covers | BMW Performance Pedals | F1 Pinnacle Tint | V1 Hardwire | Dinan Performance Software | Gintani Exhaust | H&R Sports Springs | RPI Scoops | BMW CF Spoiler | Challenge Diffuser | Lux H8 V3 | LCI Tail Lights |
Davinhci is offline   United_States
0
      08-20-2008, 01:22 AM   #6
duk
///M
 
Drives: 2011 AW/FR 6MT E92
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Jose, CA

Posts: 2,929
iTrader: (0)

nice but dont race on the streets too much k
__________________
2011 AW/FR 6MT E92 | Powered by Premier | Alekshop | ESS |
Rok n Peace Clothing: www.roknpeace.com

duk is offline   United_States
0
      08-20-2008, 01:56 AM   #7
TLud
Colonel
 
TLud's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 Golf R
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Texas

Posts: 2,280
iTrader: (3)

Let me see if I've got your story straight.

First, you use suggestive driving to provoke the GTO driver into a situation where he almost gets into an accident. Arguing that the situation was only caused by the truck's driver's bad driving and not also the GTO's "dropping the hammer" is disingenuous at best.

Second, after being "thwarted" from your illegal activity by slow moving traffic (i.e., law abiding drivers), you then choose to stop light race up to 125 mph on a public freeway access road. I'm curious as to what access road you were on that didn't involve merging traffic, intersections, driveways, or a posted speed limit of only 45 mph.

Third, you have the cajones to post your story here and attempt to frame your recklessness as "safe racing"? Do you really think we're all so stupid that we'll believe that nearly tripling the speed limits on public roads in the middle of a highly populated metropolitan area is safe?

I guess your behavior doesn't sound nearly as safe or as cool when I describe it. Get this straight: there is no safe racing on public streets, certainly not at the speeds you reached.

In case you're wondering why I'm so pissed off: (1) one of my best friends was killed by jackasses street racing like you, and (2) I live in Houston.

This thread should be locked/deleted.

Last edited by TLud; 08-20-2008 at 02:39 AM.
TLud is offline   United_States
0
      08-20-2008, 02:25 AM   #8
stickypaws
Dictator
 
stickypaws's Avatar
 
Drives: people crazy
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: where you want to be

Posts: 1,817
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLud View Post
Get this straight: there is no safe racing on public streets, certainly not to the speeds you reached.
I've always wondered why peeps who spend $60K+ on a car are too cheap to go to the track.
stickypaws is offline  
0
      08-20-2008, 02:40 AM   #9
Sticky
Banned
 
Drives: E92 Jerez DCT M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Anaheim Hills / Malibu

Posts: 2,244
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLud View Post
Let me see if I've got your story straight.

First, you use suggestive driving to provoke the GTO driver into a situation where he almost gets into an accident. Arguing that the situation was only caused by the truck's driver's bad driving and not also the GTO's "dropping the hammer" is disingenuous at best.

Second, after being "thwarted" from your illegal activity by slow moving traffic (i.e., law abiding drivers), you then choose to stop light race up to 125 mph on a public freeway access road. I'm curious as to what access road you were on that didn't involve merging traffic, intersections, driveways, or a posted speed limit of only 45 mph.

Third, you have the cajones to post your story here and attempt to frame your recklessness as "safe racing"? Do you really think we're all so stupid that we'll believe that nearly tripling the speed limits on public roads in the middle of a highly populated metropolitan area is safe?

I guess your behavior doesn't sound nearly as safe or as cool when I describe it. Get this straight: there is no safe racing on public streets, certainly not to the speeds you reached.

In case you're wondering why I'm so pissed off: (1) one of my best friends was killed by jackasses street racing like you, and (2) I live in Houston.

This thread should be locked/deleted.
Kindly shove that crock of BS.

People have died tripping and falling coming out of the shower. Perhaps we should only be sprayed by a hose?

People have died changing lightbulbs falling off a ladder.

People have died doing all kinds of activities, some reckless some not, throughout the ages.

I am sorry for your loss but don't go about imposing your beliefs and taking out your aggression on others. Take a look at yourself before you start doling out advice like some saint. We are all to believe you never exceed the speed limit on the street That M3 on order is being delivered straight to the track, right?

I don't see where the guy said what he did was safe, but I got the impression that it was within reason to apply some pressure to the throttle. He mentioned safety when telling OTHERS to race safe.
Sticky is offline   United_States
0
      08-20-2008, 02:42 AM   #10
Sticky
Banned
 
Drives: E92 Jerez DCT M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Anaheim Hills / Malibu

Posts: 2,244
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickypaws View Post
I've always wondered why peeps who spend $60K+ on a car are too cheap to go to the track.
Ya, that is it. When a quick car pulls up and I decide to hit the gas off the line it will be because I am too cheap.
Sticky is offline   United_States
0
      08-20-2008, 02:48 AM   #11
stickypaws
Dictator
 
stickypaws's Avatar
 
Drives: people crazy
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: where you want to be

Posts: 1,817
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticky View Post
Ya, that is it. When a quick car pulls up and I decide to hit the gas off the line it will be because I am too cheap.
Ummm, oh, never mind, it's not worth the effort......
stickypaws is offline  
0
      08-20-2008, 02:51 AM   #12
stickypaws
Dictator
 
stickypaws's Avatar
 
Drives: people crazy
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: where you want to be

Posts: 1,817
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticky View Post

People have died tripping and falling coming out of the shower. Perhaps we should only be sprayed by a hose?

People have died changing lightbulbs falling off a ladder.

People have died doing all kinds of activities, some reckless some not, throughout the ages.
WTF? Wow, the term "pea brain" has taken on a whole new meaning.
stickypaws is offline  
0
      08-20-2008, 02:53 AM   #13
a burrito
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: '11 E90 M3, '12 958 S
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Irvine, CA

Posts: 1,878
iTrader: (1)

Send a message via AIM to a burrito
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticky View Post
Kindly shove that crock of BS.

People have died tripping and falling coming out of the shower. Perhaps we should only be sprayed by a hose?

People have died changing lightbulbs falling off a ladder.

People have died doing all kinds of activities, some reckless some not, throughout the ages.

I am sorry for your loss but don't go about imposing your beliefs and taking out your aggression on others. Take a look at yourself before you start doling out advice like some saint. We are all to believe you never exceed the speed limit on the street That M3 on order is being delivered straight to the track, right?

I don't see where the guy said what he did was safe, but I got the impression that it was within reason to apply some pressure to the throttle. He mentioned safety when telling OTHERS to race safe.
Hey Bro, no offense, but are you retarded?

Auto accidents are the 3rd leading cause of death in males under 30 years old and street racing is only going to fuel that statistic.

OP I admit I do street race too but I most certainly don't egg on other people and dodge/weave cars just for an adrenaline rush. The red flag should have been when the GTO almost got into an accident in the first place man.
__________________
Peanut Butter Chunky

AD08. Akra. Huper Optik. KW V3. Macht Schnell. RE SSK. TMS.
a burrito is offline   United_States
0
      08-20-2008, 02:54 AM   #14
Sticky
Banned
 
Drives: E92 Jerez DCT M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Anaheim Hills / Malibu

Posts: 2,244
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickypaws View Post
WTF? Wow, the term "pea brain" has taken on a whole new meaning.
Naturally, we should all drive cars with limiters set at the speed limit. We should not leave the house unless absolutely necessary. No reason to compete in motorsports, too dangerous. Don't fly, people have died in airplane crashes. Just place yourself in a bubble, now that is living.
Sticky is offline   United_States
0
      08-20-2008, 02:55 AM   #15
Sticky
Banned
 
Drives: E92 Jerez DCT M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Anaheim Hills / Malibu

Posts: 2,244
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by a burrito View Post
Hey Bro, no offense, but are you retarded?

Auto accidents are the 3rd leading cause of death in males under 30 years old and street racing is only going to fuel that statistic.

OP I admit I do street race too but I most certainly don't egg on other people and dodge/weave cars just for an adrenaline rush. The red flag should have been when the GTO almost got into an accident in the first place man.
Are you retarded? REMOVE drunk driving fatalities. Where are they now?

I love how people are so quick to jump on this guy for running his car after the break in. What is the first thing most people are going to do after break in? The exact same thing, you are a hypocrite.
Sticky is offline   United_States
0
      08-20-2008, 02:57 AM   #16
TLud
Colonel
 
TLud's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 Golf R
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Texas

Posts: 2,280
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticky View Post
Kindly shove that crock of BS.

People have died tripping and falling coming out of the shower. Perhaps we should only be sprayed by a hose?

People have died changing lightbulbs falling off a ladder.

People have died doing all kinds of activities, some reckless some not, throughout the ages.

I am sorry for your loss but don't go about imposing your beliefs on others. Take a look at yourself before you start doling out advice like some saint. We are all to believe you never exceed the speed limit on the street That M3 on order is being delivered straight to the track, right?
People die of all sorts of things, but one of the most common causes is car accidents. Applying your same logic, I should try sky diving with an anchor for a parachute and engage in similarly risky behavior because I could randomly die from a bee sting tomorrow.

Reread my post. Where did I say I was perfect or try come off as a saint? Where did I criticize the OP for minor speeding? It's completely irrelevant, but I'll say this: I've never raced another driver on public roads, and I've never gone over 20 mph over the posted speed limit, much less 125 through a highly populated city.

I'm not imposing my beliefs on anyone. The OP is imposing his risky driving and attitude on me by driving in the same city in the manner described. If he wants to risk his own life without endangering anyone else, more power to him, but I don't want me or a loved one to die because of some jackass driving like this. I see and ignore racing stories every day, but I felt compelled to respond to this one because the OP lives in my town.

What's even more unbelievable are your attempts to justify the OP's behavior.
TLud is offline   United_States
0
      08-20-2008, 03:03 AM   #17
Sticky
Banned
 
Drives: E92 Jerez DCT M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Anaheim Hills / Malibu

Posts: 2,244
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLud View Post
People die of all sorts of things, but one of the most common causes is car accidents. Applying your same logic, I should try sky diving with an anchor for a parachute and engage in similarly risky behavior because I could randomly die from a bee sting tomorrow.

Reread my post. Where did I say I was perfect or try come off as a saint? Where did I criticize the OP for minor speeding? It's completely irrelevant, but I'll say this: I've never raced another driver on public roads, and I've never gone over 20 mph over the posted speed limit, much less 125 through a highly populated city.

I'm not imposing my beliefs on anyone. The OP is imposing his risky driving and attitude on me by driving in the same city in the manner described. If he wants to risk his own life without endangering anyone else, more power to him, but I don't want me or a loved one to die because of some jackass driving like this. I see and ignore racing stories every day, but I felt compelled to respond to this one because the OP lives in my town.

What's even more unbelievable are your attempts to justify the OP's behavior.
I guess I am missing something but you basically ream the guy and use losing your friend as justification for doing so.

Human beings are frail to begin with. My point is that you don't know what is going to happen. You can drive safely your entire life and be creamed by a drunk driver one day, you never know.

Driving 100+ in traffic and weaving in and out is tempting fate. I don't think that was the case here. I think this was a case of I broke my car in and I want to see what it can do. Here comes a GTO, perfect opportunity.

I don't justify putting others in danger but I most certainly can understand being able to push your M3 for the first time. Lets not act like he did something out of the ordinary.
Sticky is offline   United_States
0
      08-20-2008, 03:05 AM   #18
TLud
Colonel
 
TLud's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 Golf R
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Texas

Posts: 2,280
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticky View Post
Naturally, we should all drive cars with limiters set at the speed limit. We should not leave the house unless absolutely necessary. No reason to compete in motorsports, too dangerous. Don't fly, people have died in airplane crashes. Just place yourself in a bubble, now that is living.


PM me your address and daily schedule, buddy. I'll make it a point to drag race up and down your street at 125 mph. Make sure to park your car on the street, and if you have kids, send them outside to play while I do it. Hell, if I run them over, I'll just be saving them from dying of something else.
TLud is offline   United_States
0
      08-20-2008, 03:06 AM   #19
Sticky
Banned
 
Drives: E92 Jerez DCT M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Anaheim Hills / Malibu

Posts: 2,244
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLud View Post


PM me your address and daily schedule, buddy. I'll make it a point to drag race up and down your street at 125 mph. Make sure to park your car on the street, and if you have kids, send them outside to play while I do it. Hell, if I run them over, I'll just be saving them from dying of something else.
Oooohhh thats dark, I like it But seriously, running over children is no laughing matter.
Sticky is offline   United_States
0
      08-20-2008, 03:08 AM   #20
TLud
Colonel
 
TLud's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 Golf R
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Texas

Posts: 2,280
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticky View Post
I guess I am missing something but you basically ream the guy and use losing your friend as justification for doing so.
No, my justification for doing so is not wanting myself, my family, or my friends, or anyone else for that matter to be hurt by this guy driving 125 mph through my city. How is this hard to understand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticky View Post
Human beings are frail to begin with. My point is that you don't know what is going to happen. You can drive safely your entire life and be creamed by a drunk driver one day, you never know.
Of course, but that doesn't justify drunk driving or any other kind of reckless driving, like the OP described.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticky View Post
Driving 100+ in traffic and weaving in and out is tempting fate. I don't think that was the case here. I think this was a case of I broke my car in and I want to see what it can do. Here comes a GTO, perfect opportunity.

I don't justify putting others in danger but I most certainly can understand being able to push your M3 for the first time. Lets not act like he did something out of the ordinary.
Maybe you defy death daily for a living, but I would consider driving 125 mph on city surface streets as more than slightly out of the ordinary. You don't get a speeding ticket for that. You get arrested for reckless endangerment.
TLud is offline   United_States
0
      08-20-2008, 03:10 AM   #21
TLud
Colonel
 
TLud's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 Golf R
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Texas

Posts: 2,280
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticky View Post
Oooohhh thats dark, I like it But seriously, running over children is no laughing matter.
Of course it isn't. You just made my point, and I rest my case.
TLud is offline   United_States
0
      08-20-2008, 03:17 AM   #22
Sticky
Banned
 
Drives: E92 Jerez DCT M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Anaheim Hills / Malibu

Posts: 2,244
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLud View Post
No, my justification for doing so is not wanting myself, my family, or my friends, or anyone else for that matter to be hurt by this guy driving 125 mph through my city. How is this hard to understand?



Of course, but that doesn't justify drunk driving or any other kind of reckless driving, like the OP described.



Maybe you defy death daily for a living, but I would consider driving 125 mph on city surface streets as more than slightly out of the ordinary. You don't get a speeding ticket for that. You get arrested for reckless endangerment.
At what point did he say he was aiming for pedestrians? What exactly are your family and friends doing in the middle of a street? Since when is it YOUR city? Your family and friends can be hurt by someone going the speed limit in a much heavier car and it could potentially be a much worse scenario. Too many variables.

I hit high speeds fairly frequently, but I live off a private road, as in, no speed limits. So if I am doing 125 that equates to automatically killing someone? Come on, these cars ROUTINELY see speeds higher than that. They are built for it. For one, I am much more comfortable in someone driving an M3 at 100+ on the freeway (conditions permitting) than in a raised F-250.

I think the guy did what most people would have done. I think it is easy to play the victim and make oneself appear as a wise sage. This guy did what most performance car drivers would have done, lets crucify him for it.

I am not trying to justify what he did, but by your reasoning there is absolutely no purpose for cars to be able to go above the speed limit anyway. I think if your line of thinking is extended it eventually leads to rights being trampled and cars being severely restricted using the supposed "safety of others" as justification.
Sticky is offline   United_States
0
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:50 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST