BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 Photos/Video/Media Gallery
 
European Auto Source
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-12-2008, 07:21 AM   #1
Wads
Second Lieutenant
 
Wads's Avatar
 
Drives: E93 M3 & Tuned Focus ST
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: UK

Posts: 257
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Fifth Gear tracks E93 M3 against C63 AMG

There was a good spot on the new series of Fifth Gear last night comparing the Merc C63 and M3 DCT cab on track……. The snooker celeb Ronnie O’Sullivan initially liked the C63 until driving the M3 which he said was soooo much better.



Worth watching if only for the fantastic sound of the two V8s at full chat.
__________________
E93 ///M3 M-DCT

Testing soon: Lambo LP670 SV and Ferrari 430 Scuderia
Wads is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-12-2008, 07:46 AM   #2
xsilvor
Captain
 
xsilvor's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Houston, TX

Posts: 825
iTrader: (2)

I haven't watched it yet (going to download the full episode when I get home from work), but I'm just wondering what gave them the idea to pair the E93 with the C63. Honestly, I think the winner of any comparison, between these two cars, is going to be a personal opinion for whoever handled the comparison, but I find it odd that they'd choose the vert.

Thanks for reminding me that Fifth Gear had restarted. Too bad I have to wait so long for new Top Gear
xsilvor is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-12-2008, 07:55 AM   #3
dawgdog
Colonel
 
dawgdog's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Porsche GT3RS
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Seattle, Wa.

Posts: 2,157
iTrader: (0)

Enjoyed the video. Reminds me of my first test drive in a BMW in 2000 after test driving a Lexus and an Audi. The Lexus didn't do anything for me. I liked the Audi. But the BMW reminded of my childhood driving my go-kart - t just goes where you point it and it doesn't take an accomplished driver to appreciate its abilities.
__________________
2015 f80 M3, 2010 GR3RS
dawgdog is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-12-2008, 08:04 AM   #4
Just_me
Captain
 
Drives: RWD
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sweden

Posts: 603
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsilvor View Post
Honestly, I think the winner of any comparison, between these two cars, is going to be a personal opinion for whoever handled the comparison, but I find it odd that they'd choose the vert.
the guy is buying a new car and his choices are C63, M3 Cabrio and EVO X. So he is basically deciding what to buy after the testdrives.
Just_me is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-12-2008, 08:11 AM   #5
SlammedR8
Brigadier General
 
SlammedR8's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Audi R8 V10 +2013 Audi S4
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Toronto

Posts: 4,936
iTrader: (2)

Send a message via MSN to SlammedR8
nice!!
__________________
SlammedR8 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      08-12-2008, 08:54 AM   #6
booforty
Major General
 
booforty's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: London, UK

Posts: 8,813
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Wads, I just posted this up in the UK section of e90post which is where all the UK E9x M3 owners are... Come and check us out!

http://www.e90post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22
booforty is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      08-12-2008, 10:19 AM   #7
JEllis
Brigadier General
 
JEllis's Avatar
 
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: SD CA/Yuma

Posts: 4,680
iTrader: (4)

great!
__________________
http://www.m3post.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic14547_7.gif
JEllis is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-12-2008, 01:57 PM   #8
TheBry
Captain
 
TheBry's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 740Li (F02) Loaded!
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: San Francisco, California

Posts: 760
iTrader: (0)

Naturally, I'm biased

And, just as it did me, the E93 M3 blew him away.
__________________

Past: 2004 E46 330ci Convertible
Present: 2008 E93 M3
Present: 2012 740Li (F02) M-Sport (European Delivery)
TheBry is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-12-2008, 02:53 PM   #9
GnokGnik
Captain
 
Drives: E92 335i, 997 C2S
Join Date: May 2008
Location: SoCal

Posts: 936
iTrader: (0)

LOL, that was harsh for the c63.
GnokGnik is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-12-2008, 03:01 PM   #10
BayerischeMotorenWerke
Second Lieutenant
 
BayerischeMotorenWerke's Avatar
 
Drives: slowly and carefully
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Motel 6

Posts: 259
iTrader: (0)

Like some snooker bitch knows anything about cars...LOL who gives a shit what he thinks.
BayerischeMotorenWerke is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-12-2008, 03:14 PM   #11
PaulTheHero
Driving a bmw makes you smile everyday.
 
PaulTheHero's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 545i E60
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: The Netherlands

Posts: 411
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via MSN to PaulTheHero
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgdog View Post
Enjoyed the video. Reminds me of my first test drive in a BMW in 2000 after test driving a Lexus and an Audi. The Lexus didn't do anything for me. I liked the Audi. But the BMW reminded of my childhood driving my go-kart - t just goes where you point it and it doesn't take an accomplished driver to appreciate its abilities.
+1

We had here at home some audi's vw's ford's.
Until i had the money to buy my own taste of cars a bmw. Nothing gets near to the driving pleasure it gives me over and over again!
PaulTheHero is offline   Netherlands
0
Reply With Quote
      08-12-2008, 03:16 PM   #12
positiveions
Lieutenant General
 
positiveions's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 MKV JETTA 2.5 & E90 M3 :)
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: La Verne, CA

Posts: 10,469
iTrader: (1)

Send a message via MSN to positiveions Send a message via Yahoo to positiveions
I noticed the C63 has some quiet a bit of body roll; that explains why the M3 feels faster on the turns which equate to better handling.
positiveions is offline   Lebanon
0
Reply With Quote
      08-12-2008, 03:17 PM   #13
Just_me
Captain
 
Drives: RWD
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sweden

Posts: 603
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayerischeMotorenWerke View Post
Like some snooker bitch knows anything about cars...LOL who gives a shit what he thinks.
Its fun to know what people think about the cars. Afterall its those who-dont- know-anything-about-cars who are the buyers. For carmakers its important to sell as many cars they can.
Just_me is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-12-2008, 03:49 PM   #14
Malbolge
Major General
 
Malbolge's Avatar
 
Drives: TiAg Z4 Coupe 3.0Si
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: EE

Posts: 5,234
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
interesting how much MORE he liked the M3, even saying its in different class. So perhaps BMW still knows a thing or two about making cars that are good to drive, easy to drive and yet make you feel likeyou are in control... Merc apparently just tries to bite your head off and has just too much power. Nice.

evo looks fugly so i wouldnt buy it for looks alone.
__________________
'07 TiAg BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si / Everything
Malbolge is offline   Estonia
0
Reply With Quote
      08-12-2008, 04:32 PM   #15
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
 
Drives: BMW Duh
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Santa Clara

Posts: 17,022
iTrader: (13)

Send a message via AIM to SV Concepts III
Both amazing cars but I'd take the E93, I need the raw performance!
SV Concepts III is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-12-2008, 04:45 PM   #16
Sticky
Banned
 
Drives: E92 Jerez DCT M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Anaheim Hills / Malibu

Posts: 2,244
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatrach73 View Post
I noticed the C63 has some quiet a bit of body roll; that explains why the M3 feels faster on the turns which equate to better handling.
There is much more to handling than body roll.
Sticky is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-12-2008, 05:09 PM   #17
ase2dais
//Mdicted
 
ase2dais's Avatar
 
Drives: a Cop Magnet
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: 495 Ring

Posts: 9,874
iTrader: (17)

Garage List
ase2dais is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-12-2008, 06:08 PM   #18
Ramphaus
Private First Class
 
Ramphaus's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 Melbourne Red/Beige
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: North Carolina

Posts: 167
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to Ramphaus
"M-free all day long!" I LOVE IT!
Ramphaus is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-12-2008, 06:20 PM   #19
PLAYON
Major
 
PLAYON's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 BMW 550i
Join Date: May 2008
Location: East Coast

Posts: 1,414
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW 550i  [0.00]
2003 Audi A4  [0.00]
I still wanna see the E90 M3 vs. the C63, for the love of all thats holy, I need to see this comparo. . .I've looked and looked, anyone got a link?
__________________
PLAYON is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-12-2008, 07:23 PM   #20
T2x
Private
 
Drives: e90 335i
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: California

Posts: 86
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320what View Post
interesting how much MORE he liked the M3, even saying its in different class. So perhaps BMW still knows a thing or two about making cars that are good to drive, easy to drive and yet make you feel likeyou are in control... Merc apparently just tries to bite your head off and has just too much power. Nice.

evo looks fugly so i wouldnt buy it for looks alone.
Those mercedes are NOT built to be the best race cars. They are built to be a car for the upper class or for people whose jobs require them to drive around customers and impress them with their high class. The suspension of mercedes vehicles is designed for comfort more than handling. Do you think a realtor is going to be flying into turns and flooring it every chance they get? no. And when they hit a speed bump they don't want their kids flying.

The reality of BMW's is that they are not as comfortable and luxurious as a mercedes.

Mercedes are for people that like doing straight line races like on the freeway or at a red light. BMW's are for enthusiasts who also like a good deal of luxury.

Therefore, the mercedes is for all out luxury while the bmw is the best of both worlds. If you just want performance go buy a lotus.

That being said, all of these companies are simply doing what they have been since they were established. They all have firm holds over their respective sectors and there is no reason for them to change.
T2x is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-12-2008, 08:46 PM   #21
rzm3
Moderator
 
rzm3's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 4,601
iTrader: (14)

a vert beat a sedan with a roof... bravo bmw!
__________________
E92 M3 DCT - AiM EVO4 Data Logger / AiM SmartyCam HD / KW Competition 2-Way / OMP ARS Racing Seats / Brembo GT 365 / Pagid Yellow RS-29 / Rear Seats Delete
rzm3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-12-2008, 08:46 PM   #22
rzm3
Moderator
 
rzm3's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 4,601
iTrader: (14)

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2x View Post
Those mercedes are NOT built to be the best race cars. They are built to be a car for the upper class or for people whose jobs require them to drive around customers and impress them with their high class. The suspension of mercedes vehicles is designed for comfort more than handling. Do you think a realtor is going to be flying into turns and flooring it every chance they get? no. And when they hit a speed bump they don't want their kids flying.

The reality of BMW's is that they are not as comfortable and luxurious as a mercedes.

Mercedes are for people that like doing straight line races like on the freeway or at a red light. BMW's are for enthusiasts who also like a good deal of luxury.

Therefore, the mercedes is for all out luxury while the bmw is the best of both worlds. If you just want performance go buy a lotus.

That being said, all of these companies are simply doing what they have been since they were established. They all have firm holds over their respective sectors and there is no reason for them to change.
except for audi who is lost in the middle...
__________________
E92 M3 DCT - AiM EVO4 Data Logger / AiM SmartyCam HD / KW Competition 2-Way / OMP ARS Racing Seats / Brembo GT 365 / Pagid Yellow RS-29 / Rear Seats Delete
rzm3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:51 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST