BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos
 
BPM Sport
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-09-2008, 03:43 PM   #1
T Bone
Brigadier General
 
T Bone's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The land where we kill baby seals

Posts: 4,021
iTrader: (0)

Australia vs. US cars

I came out the Sydney, Australia on a trip and being a car nut, I naturally checked out the cars here.

The general comment is why can GM North America / Ford North America NOT learn from GM / Ford Australia??!!?? There are very few Japanese cars here and the domestic Holdens and Fords are awesome. The Aussies really appreciate their V8s. In looking at the V8 Holdens (Pontiac G8) and the Ford Falcons, these cars are awesome. You can get one for the mid $30K with the V8s!

We in North America get the GM / Ford rubbish like the 500 (Taurus), Buick Lucerne. We get a multitude of stupid GM brands that don't mean anything to anyone under the age of 60. Focused product line with good products that is how GM / Ford need to fight back.

Rant off..... GM North America / Ford North America - get rid of your garbage cars and designers! Import more Holden cars like the Pontiac G8!

I only saw an E46 M3 while I was here.

BTW, the Aussies have a wierd obsession with V8 stationwagons and V8 half car / half pick up truck (think El Camino).
__________________
"Aerodynamics are for people who cannot build engines"......Enzo Ferrari
T Bone is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-09-2008, 06:12 PM   #2
vachss
Captain
 
Drives: Z4 Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ventura County, CA

Posts: 786
iTrader: (1)

My wife and I were fortunate enough to spend all last summer driving around Australia (mostly in tiny econo-rentals, with the occasional 4WD rental for the more serious bush). I have fond memories of blasting along at 110 (or whatever 180 kph is) in a little Corolla between Alice and Tennant Creek - and damn near burying our Nissan Patrol in the bright red "bull dust" between Broome and Cape Leveque.

I agree about the tons of Holdens, though honestly they mostly seemed to be pretty much the same GM blah-mobiles you get back here.

The other observation is that they'll stick a caravan (aka trailer) on ANYTHING.
vachss is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-10-2008, 05:03 AM   #3
Chris.G
Banned
 
Chris.G's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 LCI MSPORT X5 30d
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sydney, Australia

Posts: 3,122
iTrader: (0)









Bang for your BUCK performance from a BOSS V8 and I6T from the FORD Performance Vehicles group.

Now for the HSV's answer to the FPV's (Holden Special Vehicles)

LS3 V8








Yep we have it good down under
Chris.G is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      08-10-2008, 05:12 AM   #4
Chris.G
Banned
 
Chris.G's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 LCI MSPORT X5 30d
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sydney, Australia

Posts: 3,122
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
BTW, the Aussies have a wierd obsession with V8 stationwagons and V8 half car / half pick up truck (think El Camino).
hahaha the new VE SS-V wagon is currently the latest hype as its marketed towards people who want to buy sports SUV's so they can have best of both worlds. As for the pick up as you call it, we call it a ute as its a very popular alternative for cashed up builders/plumbers to put there tools in.



Chris.G is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      08-10-2008, 06:31 AM   #5
kpcoupe
Captain
 
kpcoupe's Avatar
 
Drives: 328i Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Illinois

Posts: 778
iTrader: (0)

ya i completely agree, cars in countries outside the us seem better to me for some reason. In India, there a a car company called skoda, which is owned by VW. I thought those cars looked great! They should bring that to America.
__________________
kpcoupe is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      08-10-2008, 09:55 PM   #6
T Bone
Brigadier General
 
T Bone's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The land where we kill baby seals

Posts: 4,021
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris.G View Post
hahaha the new VE SS-V wagon is currently the latest hype as its marketed towards people who want to buy sports SUV's so they can have best of both worlds. As for the pick up as you call it, we call it a ute as its a very popular alternative for cashed up builders/plumbers to put there tools in.




I don't understand the obsession but I like it!

Lovely city and country.....
__________________
"Aerodynamics are for people who cannot build engines"......Enzo Ferrari
T Bone is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-10-2008, 10:09 PM   #7
chuck92103
Major
 
chuck92103's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 535i
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Socal

Posts: 1,209
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
I came out the Sydney, Australia on a trip and being a car nut, I naturally checked out the cars here.

The general comment is why can GM North America / Ford North America NOT learn from GM / Ford Australia??!!?? There are very few Japanese cars here and the domestic Holdens and Fords are awesome. The Aussies really appreciate their V8s. In looking at the V8 Holdens (Pontiac G8) and the Ford Falcons, these cars are awesome. You can get one for the mid $30K with the V8s!

We in North America get the GM / Ford rubbish like the 500 (Taurus), Buick Lucerne. We get a multitude of stupid GM brands that don't mean anything to anyone under the age of 60. Focused product line with good products that is how GM / Ford need to fight back.

Rant off..... GM North America / Ford North America - get rid of your garbage cars and designers! Import more Holden cars like the Pontiac G8!

I only saw an E46 M3 while I was here.

BTW, the Aussies have a wierd obsession with V8 stationwagons and V8 half car / half pick up truck (think El Camino).
I think the issue is the consumers continue to buy the cars. I have no idea why. I have not considered an American car worth buying since the early 70's.

The truck market has always been their strong suit. With the economy in the tank and truck sales down, it will become clear that they won't survive on the car offering they have.
__________________
2011 535i
2008 VW GTI
chuck92103 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-10-2008, 10:45 PM   #8
quagmire
I am Gundam
 
quagmire's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Cadillac ATS 3.6 AWD
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 1,157
iTrader: (0)

They figure Americans will buy this to get their truck craving, but still get a car.

quagmire is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-10-2008, 10:57 PM   #9
Year's_End
RWD only.
 
Year's_End's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 E92 335i
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: St. Pete, FL

Posts: 12,264
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
I came out the Sydney, Australia on a trip and being a car nut, I naturally checked out the cars here.

The general comment is why can GM North America / Ford North America NOT learn from GM / Ford Australia??!!?? There are very few Japanese cars here and the domestic Holdens and Fords are awesome. The Aussies really appreciate their V8s. In looking at the V8 Holdens (Pontiac G8) and the Ford Falcons, these cars are awesome. You can get one for the mid $30K with the V8s!

We in North America get the GM / Ford rubbish like the 500 (Taurus), Buick Lucerne. We get a multitude of stupid GM brands that don't mean anything to anyone under the age of 60. Focused product line with good products that is how GM / Ford need to fight back.

Rant off..... GM North America / Ford North America - get rid of your garbage cars and designers! Import more Holden cars like the Pontiac G8!

I only saw an E46 M3 while I was here.

BTW, the Aussies have a wierd obsession with V8 stationwagons and V8 half car / half pick up truck (think El Camino).
Everything you mentioned, all of it, can be completely confirmed by me too. I noticed that last summer.
__________________
E92 335i: Space Grey|Coral Red|Aluminum Trim

Future Ride: 2015 Mustang GT Premium |Guard|401A|PP|Recaros|6MT
Year's_End is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-11-2008, 10:43 AM   #10
OBI_agent
D to the X to the B!
 
OBI_agent's Avatar
 
Drives: ABS,American bargain supercar
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Dubai

Posts: 2,094
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
The Aussies really appreciate their V8s. In looking at the V8 Holdens (Pontiac G8) and the Ford Falcons, these cars are awesome. You can get one for the mid $30K with the V8s!
I dunno about the mid 30k price bro but, I do know the taxes over there are really high. I mean really really high......I have been there so I know
__________________
11 corvette C6
OBI_agent is offline   United Arab Emirates
0
Reply With Quote
      08-11-2008, 10:48 AM   #11
T Bone
Brigadier General
 
T Bone's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The land where we kill baby seals

Posts: 4,021
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBI_agent View Post
I dunno about the mid 30k price bro but, I do know the taxes over there are really high. I mean really really high......I have been there so I know

10% Value Added Tax (GST) and it is quoted with any price.....
__________________
"Aerodynamics are for people who cannot build engines"......Enzo Ferrari
T Bone is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:22 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST