BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis
 
OneEighty
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-14-2007, 09:46 AM   #1
mickey knox
Enlisted Member
Canada
4
Rep
34
Posts

 
Drives: Jeep
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

BMW & Brembo

Italian auto supplier Brembo has announced today that it had started supplying braking systems and brake discs to BMW. Over the past quarter some of BMW’s high-performance models swapped to a new set of six-piston caliper brakes manufactured by Brembo and more models are expected to follow suit within the next twelve months.
From Motor Authority:

"Starting next year BMW will also start offering special Brembo braking kits as an optional accessory in its factory performance parts range.

Brembo is already one of the most widely recognized brands in braking technology, equipping affordable performance vehicles such as the Subaru WRX and Mitsubishi Evo, right up to the supercar arena with the likes of Ferrari and Porsche. The high-performance brakes are usually distinguished by its brightly painted calipers, often in red or gold, but the BMW units are designed to remain subtle, reports Automotive News Europe.

Thanks to the deal Brembo’s net profit rose 86.8% to $18.13 million in the third quarter. "

What effect do you think that will have on future M cars?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2007, 09:53 AM   #2
SS32
Major
SS32's Avatar
57
Rep
1,431
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 M3
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Raleigh, NC

iTrader: (0)

Awesome. That would be great to see M cars with some "aftermarket" brakes from the factory, if you can call them that.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2007, 10:02 AM   #3
Epacy
Reincarnated
Epacy's Avatar
88
Rep
4,227
Posts

 
Drives: 02 Maxima SE
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: IL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
I bet that option would be chosen as much as the 19in wheels.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2007, 10:04 AM   #4
Bennu
Colonel
Bennu's Avatar
United_States
33
Rep
2,253
Posts

 
Drives: BMW Coupe
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: West Palm Beach

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Now might be a good time to buy that stock.
__________________
------------------------------------------------
Lack of money is not the problem. It is merely a symptom of what's going on inside of you! - T Harv Eker

Appreciate 0
      11-14-2007, 10:24 AM   #5
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
southlight's Avatar
605
Rep
6,748
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Germany

iTrader: (0)

That's great! Also good that BMW plans to offer these as aftermarket option thru their "Performance Parts"...

Best regards, south
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2007, 10:27 AM   #6
devo
Lieutenant Colonel
28
Rep
1,942
Posts

 
Drives: .2GT3/335Cpe/991 GT3 coming
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: thinking about cars, girls and money, not necessarily in that order.

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey knox View Post
Italian auto supplier Brembo has announced today that it had started supplying braking systems and brake discs to BMW. Over the past quarter some of BMW’s high-performance models swapped to a new set of six-piston caliper brakes manufactured by Brembo and more models are expected to follow suit within the next twelve months.
From Motor Authority:

"Starting next year BMW will also start offering special Brembo braking kits as an optional accessory in its factory performance parts range.

Brembo is already one of the most widely recognized brands in braking technology, equipping affordable performance vehicles such as the Subaru WRX and Mitsubishi Evo, right up to the supercar arena with the likes of Ferrari and Porsche. The high-performance brakes are usually distinguished by its brightly painted calipers, often in red or gold, but the BMW units are designed to remain subtle, reports Automotive News Europe.

Thanks to the deal Brembo’s net profit rose 86.8% to $18.13 million in the third quarter. "

What effect do you think that will have on future M cars?
That's great. Thanks.

I've heard that BMW is going to get very aggressive with their performance parts offerings in the near furture. I don't mean to be OT, but my dealer is adamant that there will be (non-adjustable) coilovers -with a drop- and lighter lower control arms for the 335cxi. Also, a variety of other performance goodies, brakes wheels etc...

I know I'll be buying coilovers for the 335cxi and Brembos for the M!

Last edited by devo; 11-14-2007 at 10:44 AM.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2007, 11:06 AM   #7
Epacy
Reincarnated
Epacy's Avatar
88
Rep
4,227
Posts

 
Drives: 02 Maxima SE
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: IL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
That's great! Also good that BMW plans to offer these as aftermarket option thru their "Performance Parts"...

Best regards, south
Wonder if they will run the same for purchase and install as the factory option would be?
Also, I wonder if this option will be available on the 2nd year M3.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2007, 11:11 AM   #8
savage.ulm1
First Lieutenant
savage.ulm1's Avatar
Italy
25
Rep
398
Posts

 
Drives: M3 E92
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Italy

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey knox View Post
Italian auto supplier Brembo has announced today that it had started supplying braking systems and brake discs to BMW. Over the past quarter some of BMW’s high-performance models swapped to a new set of six-piston caliper brakes manufactured by Brembo and more models are expected to follow suit within the next twelve months.
From Motor Authority:

"Starting next year BMW will also start offering special Brembo braking kits as an optional accessory in its factory performance parts range.

Brembo is already one of the most widely recognized brands in braking technology, equipping affordable performance vehicles such as the Subaru WRX and Mitsubishi Evo, right up to the supercar arena with the likes of Ferrari and Porsche. The high-performance brakes are usually distinguished by its brightly painted calipers, often in red or gold, but the BMW units are designed to remain subtle, reports Automotive News Europe.

Thanks to the deal Brembo’s net profit rose 86.8% to $18.13 million in the third quarter. "

What effect do you think that will have on future M cars?
I wanted to use them since I know them very well. This is a great new.
Probably at BMW they are reading our (your....) Forum??
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2007, 11:14 AM   #9
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
consolidated's Avatar
33
Rep
1,731
Posts

 
Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
There's an article in the current Roundel about BMW's new aftermarket performance parts catalog. Lots of Z and 3 series parts...alcantara, short shifter, wheels, sways, coilovers, intake and exhaust systems, even cams...
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2007, 11:30 AM   #10
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
southlight's Avatar
605
Rep
6,748
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Germany

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epacy View Post
Wonder if they will run the same for purchase and install as the factory option would be?
Also, I wonder if this option will be available on the 2nd year M3.
My guess is that's mutually exclusive. Either it's standard (like on 135) or it's not standard but available aftermarket as performance part (hopefully M3).
Don't believe it comes as a factory option for second year M3, that would suggest the standard brakes aren't sufficient...

Best regards, south


__________________________________________________
vice president for the MT club wanted
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2007, 11:40 AM   #11
dechoong
First Lieutenant
10
Rep
359
Posts

 
Drives: E60 530 Sport
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: KL

iTrader: (0)

About time to see M cars with big ass red calipers

BMW's brake system is among the best for pedal feel, but lacks stamina for sustained abuse on track. Collaboration with Brembo should be icing on the cake .
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2007, 12:54 PM   #12
enigma
Captain
6
Rep
689
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3 and Elise
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Land of the Microchip

iTrader: (0)

This is great news. It would be nice to have breaks where changing the brake pads wasn't such a PITA.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2007, 03:37 PM   #13
Mvez
New Member
0
Rep
11
Posts

 
Drives: 2005 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Louisville, KY

iTrader: (0)

things just keep getting better.....
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2007, 04:51 PM   #14
m_bazeepaymon
Major
19
Rep
1,075
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E92 335i
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (4)

Send a message via AIM to m_bazeepaymon
watch... the brembo's will be on the "ZCP" E92 M3 in the future...
__________________


ZzZzZ'er
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2007, 07:28 PM   #15
JEllis
Brigadier General
JEllis's Avatar
84
Rep
4,780
Posts

 
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: SD CA/Yuma

iTrader: (4)

exciting stuff
__________________
http://www.m3post.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic14547_7.gif
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2007, 11:53 PM   #16
swamp2
Lieutenant General
swamp2's Avatar
United_States
214
Rep
10,201
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Diego, CA USA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epacy View Post
I bet that option would be chosen as much as the 19in wheels.
Very doubtful IMO. Wheels are about the most common "upgrade" to a car. It is so much about looks and personalization and often "bling" as well. Brakes are for the serious and for those with deep pockets as well. Serious poseurs or serious drivers and there are not all that many of these folks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechoong View Post
About time to see M cars with big ass red calipers
What part of,
Quote:
The high-performance brakes are usually distinguished by its brightly painted calipers, often in red or gold, but the BMW units are designed to remain subtle, reports Automotive News Europe
did you miss?

BMW does not want to look at all to be copying the other German maker known for the big bright red calipers (an now yellow as well). You'll likely see silver, grey, black, somthing along those lines. Gloss black would look pretty cool IMO.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2007, 11:55 PM   #17
SS32
Major
SS32's Avatar
57
Rep
1,431
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 M3
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Raleigh, NC

iTrader: (0)

CF calipers
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2007, 02:19 AM   #18
e36jakeo
Captain
United_States
12
Rep
624
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 M3 6 Speed MT!
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Northern CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechoong View Post
About time to see M cars with big ass red calipers

BMW's brake system is among the best for pedal feel, but lacks stamina for sustained abuse on track. Collaboration with Brembo should be icing on the cake .
Brakes need cooling and high temperature pads to survive real track abuse. Hopefully the M3's brakes with a good track pad should work fine.

The 1-series 135i will have 6 PISTON BREMBOS!! Yep, potentially better brakes than the M3
__________________
Driving sideways: It's not faster, but damn it's more fun!
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2007, 04:17 AM   #19
swamp2
Lieutenant General
swamp2's Avatar
United_States
214
Rep
10,201
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Diego, CA USA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by e36jakeo View Post
Brakes need cooling and high temperature pads to survive real track abuse. Hopefully the M3's brakes with a good track pad should work fine.

The 1-series 135i will have 6 PISTON BREMBOS!! Yep, potentially better brakes than the M3
A bit contradictory.

The M3 is clearly a faster and higher top speed vehicle than the 135i (weighs more as well). This REQUIRES more braking. BMW must and did design the stock brakes on the M3 for more cooling and more brake capacity than the 135i. Whether it actually out brakes the times/distances the 135i will achieve is mostly a separate question. Piston count is a minor factor in overall brake quality/performance. Rotor size and mass, rotor design (floating to prevent warping), pad material and cooling are all more important than piston count!

As we know Brembo does make some rather cheap versions of its brakes, the OEM speced systems on some of the Asian imports are clearly not the same Brembos private (or Brembo branded) labeled to other German and Italian OEMs. In this way BMW may be as much concerned about branding opposed to genuine performance from the systems. BMW may be simply keeping up with the Joneses.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2007, 10:44 AM   #20
mickey knox
Enlisted Member
Canada
4
Rep
34
Posts

 
Drives: Jeep
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_bazeepaymon View Post
watch... the brembo's will be on the "ZCP" E92 M3 in the future...
That is what I am hoping. Brembos, more direct steering and alcantara interior, plus a few more goodies, maybe even a slight power boost. The concept car looked like a ZCP with the rims and alcantara Who knows, but it could spell the perfect car imho. I am going to wait on the sidelines and see what happens over the next year.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2007, 05:06 PM   #21
dechoong
First Lieutenant
10
Rep
359
Posts

 
Drives: E60 530 Sport
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: KL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
BMW does not want to look at all to be copying the other German maker known for the big bright red calipers (an now yellow as well). You'll likely see silver, grey, black, somthing along those lines. Gloss black would look pretty cool IMO.
The big red calipers is as iconic to Brembo as a 911 is to Porsche... it will be quite ironic if BMW chooses to be different so that they can "remain subtle".
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2007, 05:35 PM   #22
Sedan_Clan
Banned
Brazil
130
Rep
10,918
Posts

 
Drives: '14 335i(prev.IB,AW M3's & X5)
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: On 2 wheels clipping an apex!

iTrader: (25)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
A bit contradictory.

The M3 is clearly a faster and higher top speed vehicle than the 135i (weighs more as well). This REQUIRES more braking. BMW must and did design the stock brakes on the M3 for more cooling and more brake capacity than the 135i. Whether it actually out brakes the times/distances the 135i will achieve is mostly a separate question. Piston count is a minor factor in overall brake quality/performance. Rotor size and mass, rotor design (floating to prevent warping), pad material and cooling are all more important than piston count!

As we know Brembo does make some rather cheap versions of its brakes, the OEM speced systems on some of the Asian imports are clearly not the same Brembos private (or Brembo branded) labeled to other German and Italian OEMs. In this way BMW may be as much concerned about branding opposed to genuine performance from the systems. BMW may be simply keeping up with the Joneses.

Good point, and it lends credence to my position on the Brembos on my '04 G35. My 330i has much better brake feel.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:48 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST