BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

08-01-2008, 08:12 PM   #1
rvacha
Captain

Drives: '08 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
10K Mile Bug Report

Actually, this is more of a 13K mile bug report but 10K sounds nicer. For vacation I usually combine three hobbies I like best – hiking, national parks, and driving – into one neat and long package. This year’s was a 5 week blitz consisting of an eastern half, a short swing home to install my Laser Interceptor and grab clean clothes, and a western half. Without boring you with all the details key stops included Cape Cod, Martha’s Vineyard, Boston, Acadia National Park (NP) in Maine, Niagara Falls and Niagara on the Lake, ON, Chicago, Minneapolis, Voyageurs NP at the Minnesota/Canada border, Glacier NP at the Montana/Canada border, Yellowstone NP & Grand Teton NP in Wyoming. I did it all in my M3. If you’ve never considered driving your ///M on vacation perhaps you should. If you are the terribly anal type and hate dirt you probably shouldn’t. I have highlighted a bunch of notes from the field below:

1. Trip Stats
Total blitz miles – 8840

Eastern
Total miles – 2360

Western
Total miles – 5480
Average speed – 59.9 MPH
21.1 MPG
99 hours of run time

Lifetime now stands at 18.9 MPG and an average speed of 50.8 MPH. Per my crude measurements the OBC fuel economy is actually about 0.5 MPG optimistic.

OBC says oil change is due on 05/2010 or in 3000 miles (essentially the 16,200 mile mark)

2. Mechanicals
Overall the M3 performed wonderfully with no major issues. There were a couple areas of concern however.
A. The M3 has a voracious appetite for air, specially at high speed. During the Voyaguers to Glacier blitz the M3 sucked bugs into every conceivable orifice and began to mildly overheat in Montana. Details in a separate message below.
B. Somewhere around the 12K mark both front tires began feathering, on both the inside and outside. At highways speeds it results in an unusual rumble that at first increases in volume and then decreases to zero volume over a 3-5 second interval. I’ve heard feathered tires before, but not like this. Details in a separate message below
C. The chrome exhaust tips aren’t bluing – yeah! My M5 ate them up.
D. Brake Dust – There was surprisingly little. Not sure how to explain this. Perhaps the high velocities? Engine braking where possible? The 18” wheel finish?
E. Speed cloth seats are wearing very well with no wrinkles, tears, fading, etc. I’m very happy with them
F. Oil level suddenly dropped by 0.5 liter at the 7200 mile mark (6000 miles after service) but hasn’t dropped since. I suspect the initial drop was due to the additives burning off but I could be wrong.
G. ///Ms are designed to straighten any road, but Maine has designed its turnpike tar & chipping for maximum road noise. Hard to believe a highway could bring a normally quite M3 to its knees. I can’t bitch however – it’s a great road for triple digits
H. The E-brake loosens a little after the car has remained parked for a while. Presumably the M3 brake disks thermally contract a lot more than is typical of BMWs. In mountains areas I got in the habit of really cranking on the lever to make sure my beauty didn’t roll away
I. The “drive-off assistant” hill braking feature is awesome in the mountains. Hard to explain but there is a certain sense of ease & serenity when putzing around Glacier and Yellowstone, both of which have can resemble San Francisco during rush hour.
J. Ah! The engine sounds absolutely glorious at 95+ MPH! Listened to it for hours without it getting boring. The powertrain rattles, clunks and grinds however are a downer. IMHO they do not add “character”, they simply detract from what is otherwise a perfect mechanical symphony. To me the engine sound is best described as a turbo charged Swiss sewing machine at this load.
K. For some reason bears and cattle do not like my idea of glorious mechanical symphony and would suddenly bolt across the road. Made the open range areas infinitely interesting and kept you on your toes. Cattle don’t like sirens either.
L. BMW upped the ante with the E9X paint process. Damn near bulletproof. No chips whatsoever but a couple of “scuffs” caused by rocks sliding by. I’m thrilled.
M. Off the track I’ve always thought 5th gear was worthless. It turns out to be a perfect fuel saving gear for national parks and their nominal 45 MPH limits. I vote we keep the gear after all.
N. The suspension can handle any crap thrown at it brilliantly. Bravo.
O. The M3 does not seem to gasp for air at high altitude as much as average cars. Even in 6th gear you can pass uphill as if all other traffic is stopped. Amazing.

3. Electricals
A. I deliberately left all maps and atlases at home – brilliant or stupid? Brilliant I would say – with caveats. The key for me was to add strategic addresses to the address book prior to the trip. The Nav Bitch doesn’t know where Yellowstone NP or “Cape Cod” is, but it does know where West Yellowstone, MT and Providence, MA are. Think strategically and it’ll reward you
B. On this trip I used the map zoom in/zoom out feature constantly (like every couple of minutes). This a great feature in unfamiliar mountain twisties where I was able to drive faster – and safer – because I knew where and how long the straight-aways were. Totally awesome if you’re a speed freak
C. As you zoom the map out features are dropped to keep the display from being cluttered. That’s understandable. But there are some oddities that could be improved. National parks, no matter how big simply disappear above the 2.5 mile range. Small towns disappear. This is no biggie on the right and left coast, but a major hassle in the West where really small towns ARE the major destinations. For example Wisdom, MT (pop. 114) is 60 miles from anywhere else but as a result it has one gas station. I filled up there. The Nav Bitch totally cloaked the town until I was within 5 miles of it and could zoom into the 1 mile range. A real drag. Likewise POIs such as gas stations totally drop off the screen above the 2.5 mile range. When you are in the middle of Wyoming and the OBC says 60 miles to empty it would be nice to see gas stations on the 10, 25, 50 mile ranges. The moral of the story – the Nav Bitch should be able to determine if the screen is cluttered – and if it isn’t add more detail automatically
D. I routinely set nav destination targets that were 100s if not 1000s of miles long. The calculated ETA was always way pessimistic, even after having driven many hours. Not sure why.
E. Nav Bitch graphics bug: When plotting a complicated or really long route iDrive determines the first 15-25 miles of your trip quickly and sends you on your way. After this, iDrive figures out the rest of the route, which could take considerable time to accomplish. When it is done, it may change its mind about the best initial route it already started you on. When this happens the map display can show more than one white route trace. Apparently it forgets to erase the older, less optimized route from the graphics. The verbal and arrow instructions are always correct and reflect the Bitch’s most current thinking.
F. TI: Not sure what to think about this. I really like having the info displayed, but I am not convinced that the dynamic re-routing feature is coded efficiently. I’ve ignored the suggested dynamic re-route and paid the price – but I’ve also taken the nav’s advice and gotten burned. I’m guessing the nav database must have fairly reasonable info about posted speed limits as well as TI data outlining the speed of slowed or stopped traffic. It seems, however, that it doesn’t know about stoplights. It assumed for example that US30 would be a reasonably fast road – and it is in many regions – but crawls during rush hour in Chicago. It sent me onto it and I paid a half hour penalty. In many cases TI is available regionally (for example I saw issues in Omaha, NE more than 300 miles to the west and Toledo/Detroit/Flint/Lansing all “simulcast” to each other. This is good. The problem is that iDrive doesn’t act on such long range TI info – and why should it? If I’m 4 hours away from Omaha who is to say the lane closure will still be there when I arrive? But the flipside is that in the West and Midwest – where the road network is sparse at best – if iDrive waits before acting on TI data, then there are no road options left and you are sent hurtling towards impending doom. Then there is the general problem of TI data being too sparse
G. LI wasn’t installed for the east leg but got pinged by laser several times (photos explaining how I managed this below). LI installed for the west leg, but never got pinged. I therefore cannot report on the LI performance. It “alarms” for sunlight blinding frequently and I found it terribly agitating. Not sure it will remain installed if I can find something better. The early reports of LIs having water/humidity failures has been fixed. I know because I blasted the things with a pressure washer - twice
H. Pressure wash manual car washes are not in iDrive’s POI database. That’s too bad because they come in handy. Asks the locals. Every little bug infested town has one hidden somewhere
I. Bluetooth works perfectly – how many times does that happen? Ditto for 6FL.
4. Fuel Economy
A. The M3 appears to hate alcohol. Avoid it like the plague – if you can. Unfortunately it is unavoidable in places like the NY Thruway and the corn states
B. I love the S65 engine, but I can’t help but wonder what changed from the S62 and S65. My S62 with 20% greater displacement and nearly identical 6th gear RPMs would routinely do 23-24 MPG while the S65 only musters 19-22 MPG in identical scenarios
C. There’s been lots of talk about M3 fuel economy and how “bad” it is. While I wonder why the S62 fairs better, I can live with 20-21 MPG. My heartburn is the RANGE, which isn’t very good. In similar cross country blitzes I could get there faster in my M5 simply because I didn’t have to stop for gas as frequently. The second related issue deals with driving in sparsely populated areas where gas stations are far and few between. Many times I stopped for gas with substantially more than a quarter tank left simply because I didn’t have the range to get to the next gas station. Higher MPG – or a bigger tank – would be welcomed
D. Fuel economy was excellent at high elevation. It should of course be better, but I was surprised at how much the range improved – like 470 vs. 360
5. Dirt
National parks, among other things preserve and protect a lot of dirt and rock (Except Voyageurs which mostly protects water and bugs). Your M3 will get dirty and you will do “off roading” in sections of road that are nothing more than “dirt” and gravel. “Dirt” is used liberally in mountain areas as it really means a mixture of dust, sand, and rocks
A. The microfilters works extremely well. There was very little dust in the cabin
B. This “dirt” permeates floor mats and seats, especially if you do hiking as I do. Sounds like bad news for Speed Cloth? Not so. It vacuums completely out.
C. On a whim I decided to try Zaino’s new spray-on no buff wax. It is advertized as non-electrostatic and this is very true. So far I am really impressed with the stuff
D. Carbon fiber trim has an affinity for dust. This takes more time to clean up
6. Rain-X
Everyone knows the product for it rain beading properties. You may not have heard that Rain-X treatments greatly eases the removal of bug splatter form the windshield. I assume that it repels water and thus the splatter cannot “bond” to the windshield. In any case it works great. Highly recommended for a long road trip
7. Misc Items
A. For inexplicable reasons the ravens (crows) in Yellowstone have developed a taste for windshield wipers. No kidding. I popped mine off several times a day. You can do it in your sleep. A very nice design.
B. Potholes are a protected species in national parks. I have now become one with my car, I know where all four wheels are all the time. I am beginning to think I could successfully navigate the Ho Chi Minh trail in an M3. Hummers are so yesterday.
C. A standard defensive practice of mine is to slow down once entering a new state for a short period as police like to send a “message” and then leave the interior more or less open. I nonetheless got pulled over on mile marker 10 in North Dakota for doing 81 in a 75. He let me go with a warning. I said “Thanks!” but thought “Bastard!” I did 95 the rest of the state.
D. Sorry this is so lengthy!

'03 X5 4.4i Blue/Tan
'06 E90 330Xi 6MT Sparkling Graphite/Terra
'08 E92 M3 6MT Jerez/Speed Cloth <-- Evil Twin
rvacha is offline   United_States
      08-01-2008, 08:19 PM   #2
lucid
Major General

Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Thanks for the detailed report rvacha. It sure didn't take you very long to rack up the miles.
      08-01-2008, 08:22 PM   #3
GT3 Tim

Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Thanks for the review! It was a good read!
1997 M3/4 -- Sold
1995 M3 -- Sold
GT3 Tim is offline   United_States
      08-01-2008, 08:31 PM   #4
FifthStreetz
O! So Sour!!

Drives: Fast e30 / Slow M3

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.75]
Great report. Those were a fast 10K miles!! Im still working on 1,500.
      08-01-2008, 08:33 PM   #5
OC ///M
Dr. Octagon

Drives: Moonstone e92 M3

rvach:

I enjoyed the read. It sounds like you had a great trip. Thanks for the write-up.

BIG +1 on 'electricals' paragraph 'C' You hear me BMW?

2013 E92 M3 Individual
Sold: 2011 E92 M3 SSII | Sold: 2008 E92 M3 SSII | Into a Wall: 2008 E92 M3 SSII | Sold: 2007 E92 335i JB
OC ///M is offline   United_States
      08-01-2008, 08:35 PM   #6
rvacha
Captain

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
The Bugs

The boundary waters area of Minnesota is famous for its prime bugs and I caught a whole bunch of them doing triple digits. The M3 likes to suck them into every orfice, specially when traveling at a high velocity By the the time I got to Shelby, MT the accumulation had gotten bad and oil temp had begun to rise above the the "normal" level I usually see. I pressure washed the front for a long time to work them out of the interior area. I am still not sure where the junk actually went to. After the trip I disassebled the air box to see just how much bug goo was in there. Not as bad as I had guessed. The round black cylinder is actually a spring loaded "pogo stick" that compression fits the filter to the duct work

Other things of note:
1. The power dome has odd areodynamics and virtually nothing hits it
2. The plates haven't been pPSed to demonstrate laser countermeasures. The plate it self is a fake plastic thingy. Unlike the standard offical issue plate this one isn't designed to be highly reflective. Covering the plate is a translucent plastic sheet that diffuses laser light. The combo is working very well. I WANT the plate (or at least some plate...) as it is a favorite target for Ohio cops and increases the odds my jammer does its job.
3. You can barely see the LI transciever modules mounted in the grill. Ideally I would liked to have mounted them upside down (bubble down) but I couldn't deal with the asthetics
Attached Images

'03 X5 4.4i Blue/Tan
      08-01-2008, 08:38 PM   #7
OC ///M
Dr. Octagon

Holy Honeycomb Hideout Batman!

2013 E92 M3 Individual
Sold: 2011 E92 M3 SSII | Sold: 2008 E92 M3 SSII | Into a Wall: 2008 E92 M3 SSII | Sold: 2007 E92 335i JB
      08-01-2008, 08:43 PM   #8
rvacha
Captain

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
The Tires

Here is a close up showing the "feathering" of the front tires. I am not very happy about this. This is not feathering per the definition as I know it http://www.procarcare.com/includes/c...dtirewear.html but is similar with the "sawtooth" is rotated 90 degrees from the normal. Does this wear patern have a name?
Attached Images

'03 X5 4.4i Blue/Tan
      08-01-2008, 08:44 PM   #9
valeram
Major

Drives: E92 M3 DCT

Nice write up. Those are nasty bugs and time to cleanup.
      08-01-2008, 08:49 PM   #10
lucid
Major General

Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Wow, I think you might end up inspiring the next M3 color: Bug Splatter Black Metalic!
      08-01-2008, 09:37 PM   #11
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief

Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe, 2012 ML350

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvacha View Post
Actually, this is more of a 13K mile bug report but 10K sounds nicer.
Excellent and entertaining writeup! You must have record miles for a US car at this point! Sounds like a great trip. Thanks.

Air filter doesn't look bad for that many miles. I assume you are a student to be able to take that much time off?

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2015 M4 Coupe - Silverstone/Sakhir/CF
2012 ML350
GregW / Oregon is offline   United_States
      08-01-2008, 11:31 PM   #12
e46e92love
Brigadier General

Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Send a message via AIM to e46e92love
Great write-up, very interesting read......

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
e46e92love is offline   United_States
      08-01-2008, 11:33 PM   #13
FifthStreetz
O! So Sour!!

Drives: Fast e30 / Slow M3

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.75]
wow...looks like your car threw up!

But now we know that the vent next to the powerdome works!! It actually sucks alot of air!!
      08-01-2008, 11:51 PM   #14
Drei Bimmers

Drives: 2008 M3

D. Sorry this is so lengthy![/quote]

Thanks for taking the time to write this up. I enjoyed reading it and pictured the bugs getting sucked in to your intakes and other various places.

Regards, Michael
2006 550i, "Hers"
2008 Jeep Wrangler X "For Dirt"
      08-02-2008, 12:08 AM   #15
ihyln
Banned

Drives: M3post sucks

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
2002 530i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to ihyln
Quote:
Originally Posted by FifthStreetz View Post
wow...looks like your car threw up!

But now we know that the vent next to the powerdome works!! It actually sucks alot of air!!
Actually, it seems to do the opposite. The bugs are trapped underneath the mesh. Wierd.

I'm actually disgusted at the amount of bugs on your car
ihyln is offline   United_States
      08-02-2008, 12:10 AM   #16
Davinhci
Colonel

Drives: 08 M3 E92 & 08 E70 X5 4.8

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
great story thanks for sharing

08 E92 AW M3 | HRE P40 19" | APE Air Filter | BMW Performance Grills | White Side Gills | CF Mirror Covers | BMW Performance Pedals | F1 Pinnacle Tint | V1 Hardwire | Dinan Performance Software | Gintani Exhaust | H&R Sports Springs | RPI Scoops | BMW CF Spoiler | Challenge Diffuser | Lux H8 V3 | LCI Tail Lights |
Davinhci is offline   United_States
      08-02-2008, 12:13 AM   #17
Big Windy
Major General

Drives: audi s4

Garage List
Great review...thanks rvacha. As the others, I'm amazed at all those bugs!
Big Windy is offline   United_States
      08-02-2008, 12:50 AM   #18
M2381
Major

Drives: E92 M3, GTI

Very very nice review!! I'm like you also, I have only had my car for about 5 days and so far I have 1800 miles on it already. Had the 1200 mile service done 3 full days after I took delivery
      08-02-2008, 12:53 AM   #19
Krueger///M3
Major

Drives: 2003 HPF 2.5, 2008 M3 (Sold)

Garage List
2002 BMW ///M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW ///M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2381 View Post
Very very nice review!! I'm like you also, I have only had my car for about 5 days and so far I have 1800 miles on it already. Had the 1200 mile service done 3 full days after I took delivery
Are you filling up twice a day? Ouch.
Krueger///M3 is offline   United_States
      08-02-2008, 12:58 AM   #20
M2381
Major

Drives: E92 M3, GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krueger///M3 View Post
Are you filling up twice a day? Ouch.
Yea something like that....Its about 55 to 60 bucks for a full tank at Shell.

My gas bill is getting kind of ridiculous though I'm not gonna lie.

Edit: Besides iDrive my only other complaint so far is I wish the car would have a better range. I'm getting around 16.2 MPG
      08-02-2008, 01:06 AM   #21
OC ///M
Dr. Octagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FifthStreetz View Post
After taking a closer look it seems they were actually forced up under the grill...

rvacha: Do you remember flying through a swarm on the trip?

2013 E92 M3 Individual
      08-02-2008, 01:17 AM   #22
TLud
Colonel

Drives: '12 Golf R

Nice double entendre for the thread title. And good writeup of your trip and the car. Fun reading!
TLud is offline   United_States