BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing
 
INDustry distribution
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-29-2008, 09:49 AM   #1
BimmerRob08
Major
 
BimmerRob08's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 M3, Space Gray
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: KIKR (ABQ), NM

Posts: 1,257
iTrader: (0)

manual not clear on oil change after 1200m. service

Unless I skipped it somewhere in the manual, it seams that the following oil changes occure at every 15,000 miles after the initial 1200mile service. When I turn on my M3, I get service message of 14,000 on the front instrument display momentarily as normal. My Saab Aero oil change intervals were also recommended at 15,000 miles but I changed it at every 5,000. Don't 15,000 sound a bit too long? Is it safe for the engine? What are your thoughts out there??
BimmerRob08 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-29-2008, 10:00 AM   #2
argonboy
First Lieutenant
 
argonboy's Avatar
 
Drives: M3 E92 Space Gray
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bucharest, Romania

Posts: 306
iTrader: (1)

It's called condition based servicing, I believe. Based on the driving it adjusts when you should take your car in for oil change and other maintenance.
__________________
argonboy is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-29-2008, 07:20 PM   #3
BimmerRob08
Major
 
BimmerRob08's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 M3, Space Gray
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: KIKR (ABQ), NM

Posts: 1,257
iTrader: (0)

I'm not sure I've heard of that concept but I'll have to invstigate further. It just seams like a long time for an oil change but with this type synthetic and engine, it might be fine. Thanks,
BimmerRob08 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-29-2008, 09:40 PM   #4
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
 
Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe, 2012 ML350
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lake Oswego, OR

Posts: 7,566
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerRob08 View Post
Unless I skipped it somewhere in the manual, it seams that the following oil changes occure at every 15,000 miles after the initial 1200mile service. When I turn on my M3, I get service message of 14,000 on the front instrument display momentarily as normal. My Saab Aero oil change intervals were also recommended at 15,000 miles but I changed it at every 5,000. Don't 15,000 sound a bit too long? Is it safe for the engine? What are your thoughts out there??
As argonboy says, CB service will vary the distance based on the way you drive. The last generation E46 did this, as well. I'm sure BMW is comfortable with the 15k max interval, but personally, since I keep my cars for 5 years or more, and it also helps reassure a future buyer, I change mine at about half way, 6-7k.
__________________

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2015 M4 Coupe - Silverstone/Sakhir/CF
2012 ML350
GregW / Oregon is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-30-2008, 05:02 PM   #5
BimmerRob08
Major
 
BimmerRob08's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 M3, Space Gray
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: KIKR (ABQ), NM

Posts: 1,257
iTrader: (0)

I think I'd feel much more comfortable changing oil/filter at about 5-7K miles. A buddy of mine had a '99 BMW 540 and we changed his oil and filter, can't remember the miles but it was way past 5,000 for sure. The filter was so dam worn, consumed, looked like a black chewed up bit of cardboard that we had a hard time trying to find the plastic top/bottom flanges on the filter itself. IOW, It sure looked real bad compared to my Saab's filters changed at 5,000 miles intervals. If the filter looks that bad, imagine the rest of the engine. Better safe than sorry.
BimmerRob08 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-02-2008, 02:36 PM   #6
Keto
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Keto's Avatar
 
Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: WHO DAT NATION

Posts: 1,560
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [5.00]
I concur, change it halfway. Be ready for the *ouch* as that oil change is pricey. Was ~$150 or so on the last M3, sure it's more now.
__________________
2015 SO/SO MT M3 :: Exec : Lighting : Adaptive : HK : CF trim : Full leather : DAP : Black 19's : sunshade
Crystalline tint 40%/70% on windshield : M performance CF mirrors/spoiler : RKP diffuser
Dechromed with gloss black badge, grilles, side markers
V1 Savvy hardwired : Self-coded, will code locally for beer or food
Keto is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-02-2008, 09:49 PM   #7
ace996
NASA/PDA Instructor
 
ace996's Avatar
 
Drives: E92M3
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Long Island

Posts: 284
iTrader: (0)

15K mile oil-changes are due to BMW's "free-maintenance" program. Imagine how much money they are saving by not changing it every 7K miles. Before the "free-maintenance", they suggested you change your oil in half that distance. And by the time the engine starts to have issues due to the long-term intervals, you'll probably be out of warrantee...and those repair/rebuilds shouldn't be too expensive from the dealer, right????

If you plan on getting rid of the car...leased or change cars often...then follow the company line - but for me, I'll be changing it every 5K miles and after every track day by my own hands.

F1-tech based motor with 15K mile intervals?....yeah right....
ace996 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-03-2008, 01:54 AM   #8
sayemthree
Brigadier General
 
sayemthree's Avatar
 
Drives: bmw
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: usa

Posts: 4,845
iTrader: (0)

I change mine twice as often as the service indicator.
sayemthree is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-03-2008, 05:56 PM   #9
BimmerRob08
Major
 
BimmerRob08's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 M3, Space Gray
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: KIKR (ABQ), NM

Posts: 1,257
iTrader: (0)

I plan on keeping this M-car for many years and mostly it's garaged and I'll probebly put less than 5,000 miles a year. Weekend driver or long trips only type of car. So I'm gonna change it probebly at either 3 to 5,000 miles or about twice a year.
BimmerRob08 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-03-2008, 06:47 PM   #10
volkswackin
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: too broke for a BMW
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: i get around..

Posts: 1,911
iTrader: (1)

yea twice a year should be good man
volkswackin is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-03-2008, 09:48 PM   #11
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
 
Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe, 2012 ML350
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lake Oswego, OR

Posts: 7,566
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Engine treatment

Okay, I'm really skeptical of "snake oil" products. But, after doing some research, I thought this looked pretty good. It's a boron bonding technology developed by Argonne National Laboratories, supposedly. A one-time treatment that is supposed to reduce friction and wear, and increase power as a result.

I just put in 28 oz (1:10) of Motor Silk Engine Treatment. I'm still somewhat skeptical, but it sounds pretty legit and worth a try @ $69/quart. I'll report back on any mileage changes.

https://www.evergreenamerica.com/ind...TOKEN=37984518

https://www.evergreenamerica.com/res...ch%20sheet.pdf
__________________

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2015 M4 Coupe - Silverstone/Sakhir/CF
2012 ML350
GregW / Oregon is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-04-2008, 06:13 PM   #12
BimmerRob08
Major
 
BimmerRob08's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 M3, Space Gray
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: KIKR (ABQ), NM

Posts: 1,257
iTrader: (0)

Man I don't know about adding crap to the motor to improve the laws of nature, "friction". The manual says to not add any addatives and under warrenty, I would not mess with it. My Saab's been running smooth at 50,000 miles now and I've drivin it hard allot. Allways changed the oil with Mobil 1 full synthetic per the manual and at 3-5K intervals and as a daily driver, it never, ever, ever burns any oil. I guess we would have to see some solid tests or long-term issues with such stuff. Might be a waste of cash too??
BimmerRob08 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-04-2008, 09:42 PM   #13
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
 
Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe, 2012 ML350
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lake Oswego, OR

Posts: 7,566
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Motor Silk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerRob08 View Post
Man I don't know about adding crap to the motor to improve the laws of nature, "friction". The manual says to not add any addatives and under warrenty, I would not mess with it. My Saab's been running smooth at 50,000 miles now and I've drivin it hard allot. Allways changed the oil with Mobil 1 full synthetic per the manual and at 3-5K intervals and as a daily driver, it never, ever, ever burns any oil. I guess we would have to see some solid tests or long-term issues with such stuff. Might be a waste of cash too??
Well, it's supposed to bond with the metal over 1,000 miles or so, then you don't need to use it. So I'll leave it in from 4k - ~7k then do a mid-point change. It may be a waste of money, but I don't think it is going to harm anything.
__________________

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2015 M4 Coupe - Silverstone/Sakhir/CF
2012 ML350
GregW / Oregon is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-05-2008, 02:48 AM   #14
drw1926
Bimmer Mann
 
drw1926's Avatar
 
Drives: 1983 320i; 2006 R1200GS
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Jalalabad, Afghanistan

Posts: 20
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via Yahoo to drw1926 Send a message via Skype™ to drw1926
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
Well, it's supposed to bond with the metal over 1,000 miles or so, then you don't need to use it. So I'll leave it in from 4k - ~7k then do a mid-point change. It may be a waste of money, but I don't think it is going to harm anything.
Dude, that is exactly what Slick 50 was spouting 10-20 years ago. Then they discovered it did absolutely nothing that was good for your engine.

Nothing "bonds" with anything inside your motor in a beneficial manner. If it's bonding where you might want it to (cylinder walls, for example, or bearings) it's also bonding where you don't (oil passages). Not to mention how much of that crap gets trapped in your filter anyway within the first 100 miles.

Not trying to burst your bubble, but good grief, stick to the OEM 10w-60 and leave it at that.

And to answer the OP, yes, 15k is too long, just like 3k is too soon (assuming we are talking synth oils here, which is what the OEM recommended stuff is.) As others have already stated, I would personally change oil & filter halfway (approx 7500-8000 miles), but don't reset the service timer (or you'll never get your free oil change!)
drw1926 is offline   Philippines
0
Reply With Quote
      08-08-2008, 05:39 PM   #15
BimmerRob08
Major
 
BimmerRob08's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 M3, Space Gray
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: KIKR (ABQ), NM

Posts: 1,257
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drw1926 View Post
Dude, that is exactly what Slick 50 was spouting 10-20 years ago. Then they discovered it did absolutely nothing that was good for your engine.

Nothing "bonds" with anything inside your motor in a beneficial manner. If it's bonding where you might want it to (cylinder walls, for example, or bearings) it's also bonding where you don't (oil passages). Not to mention how much of that crap gets trapped in your filter anyway within the first 100 miles.

Not trying to burst your bubble, but good grief, stick to the OEM 10w-60 and leave it at that.

And to answer the OP, yes, 15k is too long, just like 3k is too soon (assuming we are talking synth oils here, which is what the OEM recommended stuff is.) As others have already stated, I would personally change oil & filter halfway (approx 7500-8000 miles), but don't reset the service timer (or you'll never get your free oil change!)

Dam good point! 5-8K mile oil changes, don't reset until 15K for the free-bee and don't F**k with the oil system. I worked on Fighter Jet engines in the past that spun at 15,000+ rpm's at running temps of 900+ Celsius and they use synthetic oils, much different than car engines naturaly, and no "bonding" additives were needed!
BimmerRob08 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-09-2008, 04:13 PM   #16
composed
Enlisted Member
 
composed's Avatar
 
Drives: '14 M6 GC CP
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 44
iTrader: (0)

Does anybody actually ever get to 15,000 miles before their car tells them it's time to change? I have about 6000 miles on my E92 M3 currently and my service indicator is already telling me that I will be due for a change at 8000 miles (last changed at 1200 miles). My E46 M3 was the same way - I never even got close to 15k before the car told me it was time to change. Even my X5 never went the full distance...
composed is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-09-2008, 05:15 PM   #17
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
 
Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe, 2012 ML350
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lake Oswego, OR

Posts: 7,566
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by composed View Post
Does anybody actually ever get to 15,000 miles before their car tells them it's time to change? I have about 6000 miles on my E92 M3 currently and my service indicator is already telling me that I will be due for a change at 8000 miles (last changed at 1200 miles). My E46 M3 was the same way - I never even got close to 15k before the car told me it was time to change. Even my X5 never went the full distance...
I'm at 4,500 now and the Service Indicator is showing 11,000 for service. That's about what I'd get on my E46 M3. If you drove very easy all the time you could get to 15k, but what's the point in that?
__________________

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2015 M4 Coupe - Silverstone/Sakhir/CF
2012 ML350
GregW / Oregon is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-09-2008, 06:53 PM   #18
composed
Enlisted Member
 
composed's Avatar
 
Drives: '14 M6 GC CP
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 44
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
I'm at 4,500 now and the Service Indicator is showing 11,000 for service. That's about what I'd get on my E46 M3. If you drove very easy all the time you could get to 15k, but what's the point in that?
Exactly! The Ultimate DRIVING Machine.

Moral of the story? Use that right pedal and get more free maintenance!
composed is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-12-2008, 07:32 PM   #19
bigjae1976
That's what she said...
 
bigjae1976's Avatar
 
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Posts: 5,467
iTrader: (12)

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerRob08 View Post
Unless I skipped it somewhere in the manual, it seams that the following oil changes occure at every 15,000 miles after the initial 1200mile service. When I turn on my M3, I get service message of 14,000 on the front instrument display momentarily as normal. My Saab Aero oil change intervals were also recommended at 15,000 miles but I changed it at every 5,000. Don't 15,000 sound a bit too long? Is it safe for the engine? What are your thoughts out there??
Welcome to the world of BMW!

What really sucks is that BMW removed the dipstick so the task of changing your own oil is a little more effort.
__________________


Sponsored by Momentum BMW #593...We Bleed BMW BLUE!
bigjae1976 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-13-2008, 12:00 PM   #20
BRDHNTR
Ground Pilot
 
BRDHNTR's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 BMW M3
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Waverly, PA

Posts: 549
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2002 M3  [0.00]
2008 e92 M3  [0.00]
I was wondering the same thing, as my car says next service at 14K. Then again I now think that I am babying the car, since my MPG average is 17.8 since delivery and my '05 Acura RL used to get 18.8 driving the same roads.
__________________
"The laws of physics cannot be repealed, even with DSC." - BMW Owner's Manual

BRDHNTR is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:14 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST