BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

Velos Designwerks

07-28-2008, 04:38 PM   #1
e90im
Brigadier General

Drives: f30

Bush administration projects record '09 deficit

Deficit for next year to hit $482 billion amid sagging economy.

source: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25884806/

This is what happens when a shaved chimpanzee gets to be the president. Twice...

f30 e92 tt S5 e92 350z e90
e90im is offline   United_States
      07-28-2008, 05:58 PM   #2
consolidated
Major

Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
nice job bushie

looking forward to the "it's not his fault..." replies
      07-29-2008, 07:36 AM   #3
unagi1
First Lieutenant

Drives: Cobra, Mr2, 08 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90im View Post
Deficit for next year to hit $482 billion amid sagging economy.

source: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25884806/

This is what happens when a shaved chimpanzee gets to be the president. Twice...
unagi1 is offline   United_States
      07-29-2008, 07:44 AM   #4
Icedog_16
No Member

Drives: 2011 E92 335is

One thing to keep in mind that a good part of that deficit is the result of bailing out people who made poor financial decisions by buying way more house than they could really afford and then further exacerbating the situation by doing so with high-risk adjustable loans. Rewarding failure while penalizing everyone else - disgusting, IMO. No wonder I couldn't figure out how all these people could afford nicer houses than I could - they couldn't.
      07-29-2008, 07:51 AM   #5
ganeil
Colonel

Drives: 328i Coupe

Remind me again which branch of government appropriates money? Or at least is supposed to, given that a total of ZERO spending bills have been passed for the 2009 fiscal year.

1974 2002tii
1978 320i
2007 328i
ganeil is offline   United_States
      07-29-2008, 08:13 AM   #6
Icedog_16
No Member

What is the Legislative branch, Alex?
      07-29-2008, 08:21 AM   #7
ganeil
Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icedog_16 View Post
What is the Legislative branch, Alex?
Very Good Ice Dog, and now for the Daily Double:

It is the party that controls both houses of the legislative branch.

1974 2002tii
1978 320i
2007 328i
      07-29-2008, 09:13 AM   #8
AJerman
Major

Drives: '08 335i

Send a message via AIM to AJerman Send a message via MSN to AJerman Send a message via Yahoo to AJerman
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganeil View Post

I gotta say, and I'm not on either side specifically, but anyone who knows anything about the government knows it takes at least a couple of years to see the impact that a party or leader has made, especially financially. Decisions made may not go into effect for quite a while, and even after they do, they usually take even longer to have an impact. So to say that Democratic control shows they're to blame, or takes responsibility from Republicans, would be just silly. I'm not saying the Democrats will even do any better or worse, but you know that it can't be pawned off that easily.
      07-29-2008, 09:25 AM   #9
Icedog_16
No Member

At the same time, those primarily responsible submitting the budget seem wont to project their problems on the Executive branch. That's just the way it seems to me.
      07-29-2008, 09:29 AM   #10
dr335is
Brigadier General

Drives: GTI

Quote:

WOW!
Never amazes me how NARROW minded a person can be...assuming he really believes what he types...
      07-29-2008, 09:32 AM   #11
ganeil
Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJerman View Post
I gotta say, and I'm not on either side specifically, but anyone who knows anything about the government knows it takes at least a couple of years to see the impact that a party or leader has made, especially financially. Decisions made may not go into effect for quite a while, and even after they do, they usually take even longer to have an impact. So to say that Democratic control shows they're to blame, or takes responsibility from Republicans, would be just silly. I'm not saying the Democrats will even do any better or worse, but you know that it can't be pawned off that easily.
That may in fact be true for policies that effect the economy in a macro-economic sense. Tax cuts, tax reforms, monetary policy, etc... but the annual budget is determined every year by the spending bills the Congress passes and the president signs.

The federal government does not spend a dollar that has not been appropriated by the Congress. Of course there is always a bit of projection involved in how much tax revenue the government will actually take in but on the spending side there is little guessing involved. Presidents have a role to play in determining the level of federal spending and the resulting deficits but it is a secondary role compared to the Congress.

1974 2002tii
1978 320i
2007 328i
      07-29-2008, 01:21 PM   #12
AJerman
Major

Send a message via AIM to AJerman Send a message via MSN to AJerman Send a message via Yahoo to AJerman
Quote:
That may in fact be true for policies that effect the economy in a macro-economic sense. Tax cuts, tax reforms, monetary policy, etc... but the annual budget is determined every year by the spending bills the Congress passes and the president signs.

The federal government does not spend a dollar that has not been appropriated by the Congress. Of course there is always a bit of projection involved in how much tax revenue the government will actually take in but on the spending side there is little guessing involved. Presidents have a role to play in determining the level of federal spending and the resulting deficits but it is a secondary role compared to the Congress.
And you don't think that decisions made today affect spending tomorrow?

For example: George Bush starts the war in the middle east, democrats take control, whether or not they want the war, they must continue to spend for it.

Again, I'm not saying one side or another is right, that's just the most basic example for our current situation.

I'd probably say that most money spent today is due to a decision yesterday.
      07-29-2008, 01:30 PM   #13
ganeil
Colonel

Quote:
And you don't think that decisions made today affect spending tomorrow?

For example: George Bush starts the war in the middle east, democrats take control, whether or not they want the war, they must continue to spend for it.

Again, I'm not saying one side or another is right, that's just the most basic example for our current situation.

I'd probably say that most money spent today is due to a decision yesterday.
All I am saying is that every budget is new and not dependent on the previous one. The Democrats could have cut off funding for the war but they did not have the votes to do so. They could have cut spending in any number of areas but they did not.

FWIW, Bush did not start a war on his own, the Congress voted overwhelmingly, both Democrats and Republicans, for the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

I am not a big fan of Bush when it comes to government spending but the bottom line is Congress controls spending, not the President.

1974 2002tii
1978 320i
2007 328i
      07-29-2008, 01:52 PM   #14
consolidated
Major

Garage List
Quote:
I am not a big fan of Bush when it comes to government spending but the bottom line is Congress controls spending, not the President.
bushie had nothing to do with the budget?

first step in the budget process is the POTUS presents Congress with his budget, I'll give you that it takes two to tango but quite insulting for you to spin in like bushie is just a victim.

bushie tax cuts, bushie war, bushie record breaking expansion of the federal government, is he a fiscal conservative or a credit scorching spender?

not much leadership when it comes to personal responsibility
      07-29-2008, 01:58 PM   #15
AJerman
Major

Quote:
All I am saying is that every budget is new and not dependent on the previous one. The Democrats could have cut off funding for the war but they did not have the votes to do so. They could have cut spending in any number of areas but they did not.

FWIW, Bush did not start a war on his own, the Congress voted overwhelmingly, both Democrats and Republicans, for the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

What you're saying may be THEORETICALLY possible, but not at all practical. Part of the reason they don't have the votes to do so, is because it ISN'T practical. You can't just so "nope, no more money, you're done". It would be a disaster.
      07-29-2008, 02:04 PM   #16
ganeil
Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by consolidated View Post
bushie had nothing to do with the budget?

first step in the budget process is the POTUS presents Congress with his budget, I'll give you that it takes two to tango but quite insulting for you to spin in like bushie is just a victim.

bushie tax cuts, bushie war, bushie record breaking expansion of the federal government, is he a fiscal conservative or a credit scorching spender?

not much leadership when it comes to personal responsibility
The President submits a budget to Congress but Congress is under no obligation to even consult it when putting together their budget resolution or the individual appropriation bills. Did they not teach this in your civics classes?

Did you read the part where I say, "Presidents have a role to play in determining the level of federal spending and the resulting deficits but it is a secondary role compared to the Congress.?" I did not claim that the President is a victim but that his culpability in this matter is significantly less than the Congress'. That is especially true for FY 2009 since there has yet to be any spending bills out of Congress or that year to date.

The sad part is Bush did not presented himself as a fiscal conservative to any great degree nor has he governed as such. That is one area where conservatives have opposed him.

ps.... is the "bushie" thing supposed to be meaningful or just childish?

1974 2002tii
1978 320i
2007 328i
      07-29-2008, 02:06 PM   #17
ganeil
Colonel

Quote:
What you're saying may be THEORETICALLY possible, but not at all practical. Part of the reason they don't have the votes to do so, is because it ISN'T practical. You can't just so "nope, no more money, you're done". It would be a disaster.
It was more than theoretically possible. They tried repeatedly to do it. That is exactly how the Vietnam War ended. Congress cut off all funds to aid South Vietnam and the North Vietnamese Army rolled into Saigon.

1974 2002tii
1978 320i
2007 328i
      07-29-2008, 02:11 PM   #18
AJerman
Major

Quote:
It was more than theoretically possible. They tried repeatedly to do it. That is exactly how the Vietnam War ended. Congress cut off all funds to aid South Vietnam and the North Vietnamese Army rolled into Saigon.
Okay, except in an extreme case, it's not likely to happen. You're nit picking here. My point is, it's not as cut and dry as a new party coming in and cutting off funding to every single decision made before them, and starting all over on their own.
      07-29-2008, 02:18 PM   #19
consolidated
Major

Garage List
Quote:
ps.... is the "bushie" thing supposed to be meaningful or just childish?
it's meant to be annoying to bushie lovers...working? I thought it a nickname bushie would himself give, like "good job Brownie!"
      07-29-2008, 02:24 PM   #20
ganeil
Colonel

Quote:
Okay, except in an extreme case, it's not likely to happen. You're nit picking here. My point is, it's not as cut and dry as a new party coming in and cutting off funding to every single decision made before them, and starting all over on their own.
Except when it does happen. Do you remember the government shut downs after the Republicans took control of Congress in 1994? They did try and (occasionally) succeed to cut funding to long standing programs. If the Democrats were serious about the deficit, they could do the same thing and they would be even more successful because plenty of Republicans would join them.

1974 2002tii
1978 320i
2007 328i
      07-29-2008, 02:24 PM   #21
ganeil
Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by consolidated View Post
it's meant to be annoying to bushie lovers...working? I thought it a nickname bushie would himself give, like "good job Brownie!"
Not really, just makes you sound like a 10 year old.

1974 2002tii
1978 320i
2007 328i
      07-29-2008, 02:30 PM   #22
consolidated
Major

Garage List
Quote:
Not really, just makes you sound like a 10 year old.
Seems it does annoy you.