BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Canada
 
BPM Sport
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-02-2009, 01:38 PM   #265
2thdr
Lieutenant
5
Rep
504
Posts

 
Drives: '13 X5M/'10 R8 V10
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: E-town, Alberta

iTrader: (0)

Albert,

Even more contagious than swine flu is the newly discovered mod flu. The only known cure is the application of a potentially lethal (to your wallet) dose of quality mods to your M. Bahahahahahahahaha (tying my best to sound evil).

Albert, did u get your lights from camaross yet?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2009, 07:17 PM   #266
AMJ_77
Captain
AMJ_77's Avatar
Canada
10
Rep
667
Posts

 
Drives: AW E92 M3 M-DCT
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Edmonton

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2thdr View Post
Albert,

Even more contagious than swine flu is the newly discovered mod flu. The only known cure is the application of a potentially lethal (to your wallet) dose of quality mods to your M. Bahahahahahahahaha (tying my best to sound evil).

Albert, did u get your lights from camaross yet?
Haha, thanks Glenn! With the money I save on the latte I can get an xpipe with HFC!

2thdr, you did a pretty solid evil laugh but unfortunately everything you said is bang on. I look forward to the end of may when 75% of my mods are done. I did get the HID's but some of the wiring was poor and the unit didn't work so he has to send me new wiring harnesses! Not too happy but oh well.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2009, 08:18 PM   #267
2thdr
Lieutenant
5
Rep
504
Posts

 
Drives: '13 X5M/'10 R8 V10
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: E-town, Alberta

iTrader: (0)

I ordered and paid for mine on March 24 and they still have not arrived. Needless to say, starting to become quite unimpressed. He told me today that they were returned to him by USPS, but if they were, you would expect that he would wonder what kind of package is being returned to him. Ball is in his court...told him he needs to FedEx it to me, so we will see what happens.

I tell you, if the dollar can somehow manage to eke out a bit more of a climb, I might think of some more mods, too...Glenn has laid down the gauntlet with the rear BB as well as the front...hmmm.

I am really hoping that Rogue will be able to get the short shifter out in time for my install...really want to get the exhaust on, but don't really want to drop the exhaust a second time.

BTW, totally off topic (do we have a topic in this thread anymore???), I got a quote from my State Farm agent for my car. Clean driving record of 20yrs, two speeding tickets (one coming off next month), with 20% discount, $1M liability and $1000 collision deductible/$500 comprehensive deductible, 2yr no depreciation replacement, no glass coverage for $225/month. Family has been with them for 45years, so I was blindly going to get my insurance with them.

Then, a patient of mine told me to try Canadian Direct. WHOLLY SHIT! $2M liability, $500 collision deductible/$200 comprehensive/3 yr no depreciation vehicle replacement/limited glass coverage (vandalism) for $94/mo. AND...that is without considering my second car and house for an additional discount. Bloody unreal. So, State Farm can, in the words of one of my good friends, suck my sac sweat, and I am gone to Canadian Direct (division of CWB).

Sorry for the graphical references, but auto insurance really gets me going.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2009, 08:31 PM   #268
jackolo
Groin Grabbingly Trascendent
jackolo's Avatar
Canada
3
Rep
343
Posts

 
Drives: 997 & ///M
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Edmonton AB

iTrader: (5)

In reference to the HID Angel Eyes Kit, I ordered mine from camaross305 on March 30th. I just recieved them on Friday April 29th. I asked him if he had a 6000K Kit in stock and how long for shipping time before I ordered. His quote was
"Wait time is about 5-7 business days. But i ship 2-3 day air so..."
So yeah.. definitely a lot longer then he quoted me. I guess I'll make my final judgment after the install. If the product is good, then the wait will have been worth it.

Anyways, sounds like you guys have plenty of things going on. I'm happy enough with just my cosmetic mods... for now. hehe. I hope we can get a good meet going sometime in the future.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2009, 08:50 PM   #269
AMJ_77
Captain
AMJ_77's Avatar
Canada
10
Rep
667
Posts

 
Drives: AW E92 M3 M-DCT
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Edmonton

iTrader: (2)

Ya 2thdr I will see how quick he gets me my parts and as jackolo said if the product good then no sweat off my brow, I already have LED's that are better than stock so I can wait.

In terms of insurance I was the same as you. I was with a smaller insurance company and it would have cost me over 3000 g's a year! Right now my rate went down again with a clean record and due to turning 25 its about 1800 a year. Meloche Monex is phenomenal due to group rates for U of A grads and so on, you can check them out as well and you get discounts for home insurance and so on.

Ya a meet will be cool, I think we have a pretty good group of guys here.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2009, 10:41 PM   #270
AMJ_77
Captain
AMJ_77's Avatar
Canada
10
Rep
667
Posts

 
Drives: AW E92 M3 M-DCT
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Edmonton

iTrader: (2)

Hey 2thdr can you PM where you got your HRE's and what you paid for them? That is if you don't mind of course! Rise Canadian dollar rise!

By the way I saw two M3's today. A sparkling graphite e92 on whyte ave parked near the GM dealership and a jerez black e93 convertible at Save on Foods on ellerslie.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2009, 09:56 AM   #271
sparkyg
Brigadier General
sparkyg's Avatar
Canada
47
Rep
3,493
Posts

 
Drives: EBII 2014 F31 328xi
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Oil Country

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMJ_77 View Post
Ya 2thdr I will see how quick he gets me my parts and as jackolo said if the product good then no sweat off my brow, I already have LED's that are better than stock so I can wait.

In terms of insurance I was the same as you. I was with a smaller insurance company and it would have cost me over 3000 g's a year! Right now my rate went down again with a clean record and due to turning 25 its about 1800 a year. Meloche Monex is phenomenal due to group rates for U of A grads and so on, you can check them out as well and you get discounts for home insurance and so on.

Ya a meet will be cool, I think we have a pretty good group of guys here.
Good rates at Melloche, you should be able to get on there 2thdr. I've been there for years since I am and Eng and UofA grad.

Bummer on the HID's, I think these guys make it themselves so it is a little bit of a cottage industry.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2009, 10:01 AM   #272
sparkyg
Brigadier General
sparkyg's Avatar
Canada
47
Rep
3,493
Posts

 
Drives: EBII 2014 F31 328xi
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Oil Country

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2thdr View Post
I am really hoping that Rogue will be able to get the short shifter out in time for my install...really want to get the exhaust on, but don't really want to drop the exhaust a second time.
I am gonna call Rogue on Monday, I'll let you know what they say.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2009, 11:58 AM   #273
jackolo
Groin Grabbingly Trascendent
jackolo's Avatar
Canada
3
Rep
343
Posts

 
Drives: 997 & ///M
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Edmonton AB

iTrader: (5)

Okay... so apparently waking up at 6AM on Sunday leaves me with little to do but install my Angel Eyes... and clean the back yard... and go for a long drive. Anyways!

Install for me took about 2 hours and so. 1 hour to figure it out, test and get it working and another hour for a "Final" install which included hiding the wiring and etc. I'm sure someone competent with automotive work/DIY will do it in a much shorter time. I just don't usually turn my own wrench except for the most basic of items (Oil changes, Air filter, spare tire, etc). I can probably get it done in half an hour now that I know where you would want everything.

I'm still 50/50 on the product. There was one connector which I had to modify myself to fit. The right side shrink wrapped circuit is a bit finicky. It worked when testing but when I fit it into the housing, it wouldn't work. After some adjustment I got everything looking good AND WORKING. Which is always nice. So I fired up the car and did a final check, everything is a go and I'm happy with the much improved look. Time for a test drive.

Remember the right side shrink wrapped circuit? Well, I headed east bound going to Anthony Henday, everything was fine until I get the warning on the Mdrive; "Right day time running lights/parking lights". This would pop up for 10 seconds and disappear maybe 8 times during my 45 minute drive. I got home and the left Halo was still on but the right was off. Played with the circuit again and everything is fine now... I guess I got some more testing to do.

So yeah, It works... most of the time... If anyone needs a hand later, I'm more then happy to help.

Sorry, crappy phone pics. It was really bright out.




Update: 05/03/09
So a few hours later I decided to take the M out again. I got in and my clock and trip meter reset again as if the battery was disconnected. I also got a new warning message. Something about excess battery discharge? I can't remember. Anyways, I tapped the circuit board again and the halos turned on again. I started driving and I had the same on/off issues as before so I pulled over and removed the lid for the headlight assembly and drove around like that. Problem gone! I guess I got a few things to email camaraoss305 about.

Update: 05/04/09

Started the car this morning. Nothing on fire, nothing reset, no faults showing. Everything is good so far. I played with the circuit board a little more last night and I found that it wasn't the circuit itself but connector for it that had the issue. I originally had to modify that connector to fit the first time but apparently it wasn't enough. Now I have it completely flush and it's working well. The circuit and connector in question is the one pictured in Instruction #9 in the DIY thread.

Just of note, I noticed when I had the vehicle hood up, motor off and I just turned on the halos, I could hear a loud pitched whine coming from the passenger side HID ballast. It dies down but is a louder hum then compared to the driver side ballast and runs much hotter (I can barely touch it for more then a second). According to camaross305, a bit of heat and humming is normal. He's been great at getting back to me, answering my concerns in a very quick manner. He mentioned if I had any issues with the circuit and/or with the ballast, he would send me out new ones immediately.

So all in all, I find it's a good product that needs some fine tuning.
I had a few friends over last night for BBQ and street hockey (playing in flip flops=bad idea) and they had a look at the HID Halos and were quite impressed. I couldn't believe the HID halos themselves were brighter then some of my friend's headlights. So the product is quite impressive when working. haha

Well, I hope everyone else's install goes much smoother.
__________________

Last edited by jackolo; 05-04-2009 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Updating
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2009, 12:07 PM   #274
2thdr
Lieutenant
5
Rep
504
Posts

 
Drives: '13 X5M/'10 R8 V10
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: E-town, Alberta

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMJ_77 View Post
Hey 2thdr can you PM where you got your HRE's and what you paid for them? That is if you don't mind of course! Rise Canadian dollar rise!

By the way I saw two M3's today. A sparkling graphite e92 on whyte ave parked near the GM dealership and a jerez black e93 convertible at Save on Foods on ellerslie.

No problem, Albert. For most parts, I deal with Rob at Tunerworks in Calgary. Good guys. I was in on the pre-Xmas special which was about $5600CDN for the complete set of 19" P40s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyg View Post
Good rates at Melloche, you should be able to get on there 2thdr. I've been there for years since I am and Eng and UofA grad.

Bummer on the HID's, I think these guys make it themselves so it is a little bit of a cottage industry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyg View Post
I am gonna call Rogue on Monday, I'll let you know what they say.
Thanks, Glenn. Fingers crossed that this is the week.

My sister said to give Meloche a try as well. Will give them a dingle this week.

Looking forward to our potential long weekend meet.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2009, 02:18 PM   #275
sparkyg
Brigadier General
sparkyg's Avatar
Canada
47
Rep
3,493
Posts

 
Drives: EBII 2014 F31 328xi
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Oil Country

iTrader: (5)

Looks good, I was always afraid of messing with the lights so good on you for showing some cojones

997 looks nice.

So is the M the DD car and the 997 sundays only? Wish I could have that stable.

Then again I luv my M so the 997 would just sit there and gather dust
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2009, 02:20 PM   #276
sparkyg
Brigadier General
sparkyg's Avatar
Canada
47
Rep
3,493
Posts

 
Drives: EBII 2014 F31 328xi
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Oil Country

iTrader: (5)

$5600 for the HRE us a hella deal

Lets not talk about what the Neez cost
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2009, 05:24 PM   #277
AMJ_77
Captain
AMJ_77's Avatar
Canada
10
Rep
667
Posts

 
Drives: AW E92 M3 M-DCT
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Edmonton

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackolo View Post
Okay... so apparently waking up at 6AM on Sunday leaves me with little to do but install my Angel Eyes... and clean the back yard... and go for a long drive. Anyways!

Install for me took about 2 hours and so. 1 hour to figure it out, test and get it working and another hour for a "Final" install which included hiding the wiring and etc. I'm sure someone competent with automotive work/DIY will do it in a much shorter time. I just don't usually turn my own wrench except for the most basic of items (Oil changes, Air filter, spare tire, etc). I can probably get it done in half an hour now that I know where you would want everything.

I'm still 50/50 on the product. There was one connector which I had to modify myself to fit. The right side shrink wrapped circuit is a bit finicky. It worked when testing but when I fit it into the housing, it wouldn't work. After some adjustment I got everything looking good AND WORKING. Which is always nice. So I fired up the car and did a final check, everything is a go and I'm happy with the much improved look. Time for a test drive.

Remember the right side shrink wrapped circuit? Well, I headed east bound going to Anthony Henday, everything was fine until I get the warning on the Mdrive; "Right day time running lights/parking lights". This would pop up for 10 seconds and disappear maybe 8 times during my 45 minute drive. I got home and the left Halo was still on but the right was off. Played with the circuit again and everything is fine now... I guess I got some more testing to do.

So yeah, It works... most of the time... If anyone needs a hand later, I'm more then happy to help.

Sorry, crappy phone pics. It was really bright out.




Update:
So a few hours later I decided to take the M out again. I got in and my clock and trip meter reset again as if the battery was disconnected. I also got a new warning message. Something about excess battery discharge? I can't remember. Anyways, I tapped the circuit board again and the halos turned on again. I started driving and I had the same on/off issues as before so I pulled over and removed the lid for the headlight assembly and drove around like that. Problem gone! I guess I got a few things to email camaraoss305 about.

I hope everyone else's install goes much smoother.
That sucks Jackolo, I have to wait for my replacement parts before I can try my install again and who knows how long that will take.

How does the M3 stack up against your 997?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2009, 05:29 PM   #278
AMJ_77
Captain
AMJ_77's Avatar
Canada
10
Rep
667
Posts

 
Drives: AW E92 M3 M-DCT
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Edmonton

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2thdr View Post
No problem, Albert. For most parts, I deal with Rob at Tunerworks in Calgary. Good guys. I was in on the pre-Xmas special which was about $5600CDN for the complete set of 19" P40s.





Thanks, Glenn. Fingers crossed that this is the week.

My sister said to give Meloche a try as well. Will give them a dingle this week.

Looking forward to our potential long weekend meet.
$5600? That is a sweet deal considering our dollar and all. I am going to call your buddy tomorrow and see if I can they can get me a similar deal! Did they get you your tires as well? Maybe I will go with 20's just to one up you! I kid, I kid. I am still interested in the RAC group buy as well to see how that turns out.

Neez wheels are for ballas Glenn!

Long weekend meet might be a little tough for me as I usually go back to my home town on long weekends. We will see how it pans out.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2009, 10:11 PM   #279
sparkyg
Brigadier General
sparkyg's Avatar
Canada
47
Rep
3,493
Posts

 
Drives: EBII 2014 F31 328xi
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Oil Country

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMJ_77 View Post
Long weekend meet might be a little tough for me as I usually go back to my home town on long weekends. We will see how it pans out.
Where is home Albert?

I am sure there will be many more meets, prob more informal, I am sure I am gonna run into you sooner or later on the southside
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2009, 11:47 AM   #280
jackolo
Groin Grabbingly Trascendent
jackolo's Avatar
Canada
3
Rep
343
Posts

 
Drives: 997 & ///M
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Edmonton AB

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyg View Post
Looks good, I was always afraid of messing with the lights so good on you for showing some cojones

997 looks nice.

So is the M the DD car and the 997 sundays only? Wish I could have that stable.

Then again I luv my M so the 997 would just sit there and gather dust
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMJ_77 View Post
That sucks Jackolo, I have to wait for my replacement parts before I can try my install again and who knows how long that will take.

How does the M3 stack up against your 997?
Well, I updated my install post. So everything is running fine and dandy now... I just hope the super heated ballast doesn't burn down my car... hmm

Anyways, I used to drive the 997 daily but after getting the M3, it's hard to turn back. haha. A lot of people have asked me and the general consensus with me and others on the Porsche Boards that have an M3 as well is that the M3 is the MUCH better vehicle to live with but the 997 is hands down the better vehicle when you want to get down and dirty.

I know it's an M3 board so I won't get too into it. haha. But honestly, in the end, I think they're both great vehicles and I'd have a difficult time choosing only one.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2009, 01:25 PM   #281
sparkyg
Brigadier General
sparkyg's Avatar
Canada
47
Rep
3,493
Posts

 
Drives: EBII 2014 F31 328xi
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Oil Country

iTrader: (5)

I dont think anyone here would take it the wrong way if you said the Porsche is superior than the M3. At this level you get what you pay for.

I think the M3 is a great DD car and great little racer Porsche cars, especially 911 on up are truly beautiful rides.

Well, its a great backup car in the event the M3 HID ballast eats it.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2009, 01:40 PM   #282
AMJ_77
Captain
AMJ_77's Avatar
Canada
10
Rep
667
Posts

 
Drives: AW E92 M3 M-DCT
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Edmonton

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyg View Post
I dont think anyone here would take it the wrong way if you said the Porsche is superior than the M3. At this level you get what you pay for.

I think the M3 is a great DD car and great little racer Porsche cars, especially 911 on up are truly beautiful rides.

Well, its a great backup car in the event the M3 HID ballast eats it.
+1 we are all adults here

How do your lights look anyways? Worth the headache? Mine never worked so I can't say....

Glenn I am from Lac La Biche. It's about 2 1/2 hours north east of here. I have a large family so I try to make it home as often for long weekends and holidays.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2009, 02:15 PM   #283
sparkyg
Brigadier General
sparkyg's Avatar
Canada
47
Rep
3,493
Posts

 
Drives: EBII 2014 F31 328xi
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Oil Country

iTrader: (5)

LLB is a great place, nice small town, not too busy. Definetly a varied culture there even though it originally was french.

Does the HID just give you a brighter ring than stock? The actual driving lights are HID already aren't they?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2009, 07:46 PM   #284
AMJ_77
Captain
AMJ_77's Avatar
Canada
10
Rep
667
Posts

 
Drives: AW E92 M3 M-DCT
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Edmonton

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyg View Post
LLB is a great place, nice small town, not too busy. Definetly a varied culture there even though it originally was french.

Does the HID just give you a brighter ring than stock? The actual driving lights are HID already aren't they?
Very ethnically diversified is right, I am a mixing pot myself so I fit in well.

You are right Glenn, it just gives you brighter angle eyes than stock (much brighter, some say too bright!). The low and high beams are already HID's like you stated.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2009, 07:54 PM   #285
AMJ_77
Captain
AMJ_77's Avatar
Canada
10
Rep
667
Posts

 
Drives: AW E92 M3 M-DCT
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Edmonton

iTrader: (2)

Hey guys, I have been moaning over 20" P40's for a while asking vendor to vendor and now with the dollar climbing nicely I am thinking of pulling the trigger.

Where did you guys buy your tires from? Did you guys all go with the 19's rims? I am thinking of keeping my 19's for the track and my 20's for show.

Don't worry 2thdr I am getting the brushed so we will look different! haha
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2009, 07:54 PM   #286
Fentanyl
///Mazing
Canada
1
Rep
101
Posts

 
Drives: E90 AW M3 6MT
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E90 M3  [0.00]
Wow Albert your going pretty crazy on the mods!!! But I'm sure it'll look pretty sweet by the end of the month. Hey sparkyg did you end up going with the AA deal on the ECU flash?
__________________
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:28 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST