BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

European Auto Source

07-10-2008, 12:38 AM   #1
FusionM
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Drives: .

Bogus Fees

I'm looking at the fees for the purchase order and was wondering what you think about these fees.

Vehicle Inventory Tax: 157.81
Smog Fee: 21.75
Deputy: 5.00
Documentation Fee: 50.00
Road and Bridge: 11.50

Are they mandatory or bogus?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2008, 05:54 AM   #2
man02195
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: e90 M3 M-DCT, SG-status 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by FusionM3 View Post
I'm looking at the fees for the purchase order and was wondering what you think about these fees.

I think all fees are cost of doing business, so i say bogus, I got MSRP - discount + actual dmv temp tag cost
E90 M3 Sedan | M-DCT | SG | Black Leather | Carbon Leather Trim | Premium | Technology | Enhanced Sound | 19's | Moonroof | Fold Down | Heated | iPod | Parkdist | Sunshade |Week 22 | Just unloaded from Emden | Performance Center Delivery July 17th (Great Experience!)
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2008, 08:00 AM   #3
ronnie dobbs
Private
Rep

Drives: 2008 M3 sedan

$50 doc fee is ok but the rest are kind of bs. I am in Texas too and they got me a few years ago with that vehicle inventory tax. When I asked about it, the guy said "It is a real tax. Don't you know they state would kill us if we tried to say something was a tax and wasn't?" and he starts laughing. He then pulls out this bs sheet of paper he printed off the state of Texas website explaining the tax. I agree to pay and an hour or so later I sign the contract. The Lexus form contract has in big, bold letters something about "A vehicle inventory tax is something charged by the state of Texas to all dealers but it is NOT mandatory that the dealer pass this tax along to the consumer." (or something like that). Basically, it is much different than a sales tax but dealers try to get sneaky. I was so pissed at this guy but ended up conceding. I would ask them for a copy of their contract because my guess is that the state has gone after dealers for this and makes them disclose in bold now. Let us know what you find out. I will be facing this same issue when my car arrives next month I'm sure.
      07-10-2008, 08:38 AM   #4
ideliver
Major
Rep

Drives: 08 E60 M5 & 08 Infiniti QX56

Garage List
2006 MB S430 SOLD  [0.00]
2003 E46 M3  [0.00]
Quote:

Stealerships...FTMFL...

The only fee that is consistent across the country is GGT...everything else is state specific...

Ask them if they are willing to lose a sale over $200...
Cars I've owned '76 Chevelle 350 RIP '82 Monte Carlo 350 RIP '82 Mustang 302 RIP '88 Honda CRX RIP '88 Olds Toronado sold '94 Toyota Tercel sold '99 Acura TL sold 2002 Porsche 911 sold 2003 E46 M3 Blk/gr 2006 MB S430 sold Current: 2008 Infiniti QX56 & 2008 E60 M5

Last edited by ideliver; 07-10-2008 at 06:11 PM.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2008, 10:35 AM   #5
Macky112
newb
Taiwan
Rep

Drives: 2008 E93 M3, 6MT

I posted similar question earlier.

I think if you negotiate from the "xxx amount over invoice" dealership will throw these fees at you as their "cost"

So maybe it's easier (and more clear) to go the "xxx amount below MSRP" route.

I was told all southern California dealerships participate in MACO and Training fees...
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2008, 10:56 AM   #6
FusionM
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I got them to take off the Vehicle Inventory Tax. Granted, it isn't much but who wants to pay more than necessary right? Thanks for the suggestions everybody. Going to pick it up tomorrow at 2PM.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2008, 11:07 AM   #7
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: '12 Golf R

Fusion, are you buying your M3 at Garlyn Shelton in College Station? This would be interesting to know because that's where I have my order.

The documentation fee of $50 isn't too bad. I believe Texas limits it to that amount by law. Dealerships in most other states where I've bought cars have charged more. As you know, there's a ton of paperwork to complete for the purchase, registration, etc. for your new car. Arguably, it's a cost of doing business, but you're probably not going to get out of this one.

The vehicle inventory tax is complete BS. That's a fee the dealership has to pay to the state based on what they have on their lot (one of the reasons dealers don't like having inventory sitting around for too long). That's their cost of doing business -- they're basically adding profit to the deal after your negotiations are complete. If my dealer tries to throw that in, I will walk away.

The Deputy Fee pays for the cost of going down to the tax/registration office to file your paperwork. They should also cover this, but there's not much point in haggling over $5. You could go file the paperwork yourself, but your time is worth more than the $5.

The Road and Bridge Fee is a fee assessed by the county and is legitimate.

I'm pretty sure that Texas doesn't have a "smog fee" and that this is utter BS. I know California charges a significant smog fee, and I could be wrong, but I really don't think Texas does. I would definitely challenge this as well, even though it's less than $22. It's the principle of the matter.

EDIT: Correction, the "smog fee" is simply the state inspection fee, which is legitimate.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2008, 11:11 AM   #8
FusionM
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

No, I am buying it at BMW of Houston North. Are you in College Station too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLud View Post
Fusion, are you buying your M3 at Garlyn Shelton in College Station? This would be interesting to know because that's where I have my order.

The documentation fee of $50 isn't too bad. I believe Texas limits it to that amount by law. Dealerships in most other states where I've bought cars have charged more. As you know, there's a ton of paperwork to complete for the purchase, registration, etc. for your new car. Arguably, it's a cost of doing business, but you're probably not going to get out of this one.

The vehicle inventory tax is complete BS. That's a fee the dealership has to pay to the state based on what they have on their lot (one of the reasons dealers don't like having inventory sitting around for too long). That's their cost of doing business -- they're basically adding profit to the deal after your negotiations are complete. If my dealer tries to throw that in, I will walk away.

The Deputy Fee pays for the cost of going down to the tax/registration office to file your paperwork. They should also cover this, but there's not much point in haggling over $5. You could go file the paperwork yourself, but your time is worth more than the $5.

The Road and Bridge Fee is a fee assessed by the county and is legitimate.

I'm pretty sure that Texas doesn't have a "smog fee" and that this is utter BS. I know California charges a significant smog fee, and I could be wrong, but I really don't think Texas does. I would definitely challenge this as well, even though it's less than $22. It's the principle of the matter.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2008, 11:17 AM   #9
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No, I am buying it at BMW of Houston North. Are you in College Station too?
Nope, I live in the middle of Houston. We're making the same trek, but in opposite directions. Did you buy off the lot or was it a special order?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2008, 11:19 AM   #10
FusionM
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

It was a special order. Kinda funny you're coming here to get yours and I'm going there. Although you have a lot more patience than me since you're waiting till 09'.

Quote:
Nope, I live in the middle of Houston. We're making the same trek, but in opposite directions. Did you buy off the lot or was it a special order?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2008, 11:42 AM   #11
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I've never had much luck negotiating with the Houston BMW dealerships; this will be my second purchase from GS.

I've got a lot on my plate keeping me busy right now, but when I get back from my honeymoon in early August, it definitely will be a very long two months to wait for my car to arrive.

What do your build specs look like?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2008, 02:21 PM   #12
FusionM
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Interlagos Blue
Carbon Fiber roof
Carbon Leather interior trim
19" Wheels
Black Novillo Leather
Technology Package
Premium Package
M-DCT
EDC
Heated Front Seats
Navigation System
Power Rear Sunshade
Enhanced Pemium Sound
iPod and USB Adapter
Park Distance Control

What about you and at what price? Mine was for MSRP back in March. They tried to adjust the price again for the small increase but called them on it.

Quote:
I've never had much luck negotiating with the Houston BMW dealerships; this will be my second purchase from GS.

I've got a lot on my plate keeping me busy right now, but when I get back from my honeymoon in early August, it definitely will be a very long two months to wait for my car to arrive.

What do your build specs look like?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2008, 03:05 PM   #13
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Sparkling Graphite (6MT)
Extended Black Novillo leather
Carbon leather trim
Moonroof (I didn't think the cf roof looked right on the SG)
Technology Package (EDC, Navi, CA, etc.)
Premium Package
Enhanced Pemium Sound
iPod and USB Adapter
Satelite Radio
19" Wheels
Aluminum pedals
Alarm
All-weather mats
Wheel locks

Best I could get inside Houston was $500 under MSRP on a special order. I was able to get $1,XXX under MSRP plus some freebies over at GS. Hopefully, the '09 prices don't change too much.
Appreciate 0