BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

GetBMWParts

07-09-2008, 12:03 PM   #1
hks786
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: *

Iran missile test

How should the world handle Iran?

Iran has test fired a long-range missile capable of hitting Israel in an exercise condemned in the West, as tensions run high over its nuclear programme.

Nine missiles were fired in the tests at a secret location in the Iranian desert, according to Iranian television, which broadcast footage of the plumes of smoke left following the launches.

The tests follow exercises by the Israeli air force, reported by United States intelligence officials to be a "dry run" for an attack on nuclear sites inside Iran.

"The aim of these war games is to show we are ready to defend the integrity of the Iranian nation," Hossein Salami, air force commander of the Revolutionary Guard, was quoted as saying by state-run television Al-Alam.

How should the world handle Iran? Which country poses the biggest threat to global security: Iran, Israel or the United States?

Should the international community seek to negotiate further with the Iranians? Or is it time to adopt harsher measures, such as sanctions or strikes on their military facilities?

Video:

http://link.brightcove.com/services/...ctid1655850450
      07-09-2008, 12:07 PM   #2
hks786
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: *

I remember a quote from a US official when Israel carried out their tests:

"They have been conducting some large-scale exercises - they live in a tough neighborhood"

I seriously doubt the US would give Iran the same justification. I'm against all nuclear weapons. I dont think some countries should have them and others shouldnt. Even under the NPT, Israel, Pakistan and India have weapons yet havent signed it.
      07-09-2008, 12:14 PM   #3
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: audi s4

Garage List
Seriously?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2008, 12:24 PM   #4
TiAg335i
Trance Life
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Invading Iran is a bad idea. Like Iraq, 'cept they aren't helpless.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2008, 12:30 PM   #5
cycler
Major General
Rep

Drives: 2011 Streetglide and 2011 Dyna

Quote:
Originally Posted by hks786 View Post
I remember a quote from a US official when Israel carried out their tests:

"They have been conducting some large-scale exercises - they live in a tough neighborhood"

I seriously doubt the US would give Iran the same justification. I'm against all nuclear weapons. I dont think some countries should have them and others shouldnt. Even under the NPT, Israel, Pakistan and India have weapons yet havent signed it.
Some countries should have them.....let them police the world. We have police here in the US as well as the rest of the world. The countries that can commit suicide in the name of god or use terror are the ones that should be banned from having Nukes. Its not like they care about their own lives so what makes you think they wont launch when they get offended. The Israelis have those nukes because they are surrounded by nations that would revel at their distruction.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2008, 12:48 PM   #6
scottwww
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07 BMW 335i Cpe, 05 Mazda RX8

Send a message via MSN to scottwww
I'd like to see Israel destroy Iran's potential to produce nuclear weapons while the U.S. salutes their action.

offTopic - politics - ChoppedPhoto
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2008, 02:03 PM   #7
dr335is
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottwww View Post
I'd like to see Israel destroy Iran's potential to produce nuclear weapons while the U.S. salutes their action.
And where would (is) that going to lead? I meant for me and the future of my children???
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2008, 02:07 PM   #8
dr335is
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycler View Post
Some countries should have them.....let them police the world. We have police here in the US as well as the rest of the world. The countries that can commit suicide in the name of god or use terror are the ones that should be banned from having Nukes. Its not like they care about their own lives so what makes you think they wont launch when they get offended. The Israelis have those nukes because they are surrounded by nations that would revel at their distruction.
We keep agreeing on some things
I do agree that some nations (like IL) should be capable of protecting themselves. HOWEVER, I disagree with the comment that Iran commited suicide in the name of God, or used terror. They talk a lot, and yes, their intentions may as well be what they preach and very wrong. But, again, if Irael can be praised for showing off a few weeks ago, and OPENLY talking about attacking the sovereignity of Iran, I do not see why is the opposite condemned.
Both should be sanctioned for promoting tensions in the area, IMO...
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2008, 02:11 PM   #9
scottwww
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr325i View Post
And where would (is) that going to lead? I meant for me and the future of my children???
This would reduce the potential that Iran could acquire nuclear weapons. They have made it unmistakably clear that their intent is to destroy Israel. They are the most likely to use nuclear weapons to do it since they have been impotent at achieving that through Hezbollah and other groups. In addition to that, the most likely nation to supply Islamo terrorists with nuclear materials or bombs is Iran. How would you like to have a dirty bomb or a fission bomb blow up in a city near you?

Appreciate 0
      07-09-2008, 02:15 PM   #10
dr335is
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
This would reduce the potential that Iran could acquire nuclear weapons. They have made it unmistakably clear that their intent is to destroy Israel. They are the most likely to use nuclear weapons to do it since they have been impotent at achieving that through Hezbollah and other groups. In addition to that, the most likely nation to supply Islamo terrorists with nuclear materials or bombs is Iran. How would you like to have a dirty bomb or a fission bomb blow up in a city near you?
"Most likely, most possibly, very likely, they said, he said..." -- we have heard all that crap in 2002/2003 and ALL was proven wrong in Iraq. Lives, money, respect is wasted...

Yes, Iran (particularly the dictator over there) has said those stupid things -- but so was Israel. The difference is that Israel has shownno restraing in Lebanon and Syria -- attacking sovereign countries. Just like the USA has shown no restraint. Therefore, I (and the majority of people in the world) may consider the other side actually a bigger threat than the side whose propaganda we listen every day...
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2008, 02:15 PM   #11
scottwww
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I do agree that some nations (like IL) should be capable of protecting themselves. HOWEVER, I disagree with the comment that Iran commited suicide in the name of God, or used terror. They talk a lot, and yes, their intentions may as well be what they preach and very wrong. But, again, if Irael can be praised for showing off a few weeks ago, and OPENLY talking about attacking the sovereignity of Iran, I do not see why is the opposite condemned.
It doesn't matter that Iran tested missiles other than it demonstrates they do have long-range missile capability which may be able to deliver nuclear bombs as far as Israel. As a conventional weapon, it is not so devastating, is it? If it gives any amount of cover to the possible future action of Israel, then it is a good thing Iran made their tests.

Appreciate 0
      07-09-2008, 02:21 PM   #12
scottwww
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
"Most likely, most possibly, very likely, they said, he said..." -- we have heard all that crap in 2002/2003 and ALL was proven wrong in Iraq. Lives, money, respect is wasted...

Yes, Iran (particularly the dictator over there) has said those stupid things -- but so was Israel. The difference is that Israel has shownno restraing in Lebanon and Syria -- attacking sovereign countries. Just like the USA has shown no restraint. Therefore, I (and the majority of people in the world) may consider the other side actually a bigger threat than the side whose propaganda we listen every day...
When has Israel threatened to wipe Iran off the map? I haven't heard that. Iran makes that kind of comment frequently. It would be good if Ahmadinejad were cut out of power, though assasination is unlikely even if possible. I don't suggest that Israel or the U.S. invade Iran. We don't need that. Just strike as necessary to disable their offensive capability and leave it at that. We don't need to make them into our friend.

Appreciate 0
      07-09-2008, 02:36 PM   #13
dr335is
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
When has Israel threatened to wipe Iran off the map? I haven't heard that. Iran makes that kind of comment frequently. It would be good if Ahmadinejad were cut out of power, though assasination is unlikely even if possible. I don't suggest that Israel or the U.S. invade Iran. We don't need that. Just strike as necessary to disable their offensive capability and leave it at that. We don't need to make them into our friend.
I still don't get it -- strike a sovereign country (based on some threats). It is like as if the Police could shoot a person just like he said I hate you and had ugly tatoos all over his body.
How does that set us apart from the idiots who orchestrated the 9/11?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2008, 02:50 PM   #14
scottwww
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I still don't get it -- strike a sovereign country (based on some threats). It is like as if the Police could shoot a person just like he said I hate you and had ugly tatoos all over his body.
How does that set us apart from the idiots who orchestrated the 9/11?
Number 1: This hypothetical strike by Israel would be with the purpose of disabling Iran's potential to build nuclear weapons. It is a legitimate target.

Number 2: On 9/11 what was targetted were American civilians and the Pentagon building. The intended purpose was terrorism. The twin towers were not a legitimate target.

It would be good to see what others think about this rather than just my extremist position of take action now and don't worry about what others think, and dr325i's extremist position of Iran is innocent and the U.S./Israel are horrible for even thinking about attacking a peaceful nation.

Appreciate 0
      07-09-2008, 02:54 PM   #15
dr335is
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Number 1: This hypothetical strike by Israel would be with the purpose of disabling Iran's potential to build nuclear weapons. It is a legitimate target.

Number 2: On 9/11 what was targetted were American civilians and the Pentagon building. The intended purpose was terrorism. The twin towers were not a legitimate target.

It would be good to see what others think about this rather than just my extremist position of take action now and don't worry about what others think, and dr325i's extremist position of Iran is innocent and the U.S./Israel are horrible for even thinking about attacking a peaceful nation.
You're a complete idiot and I will not waste my time with you any more...
Go back to your f'n hick lands...
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2008, 03:07 PM   #16
cycler
Major General
Rep

Drives: 2011 Streetglide and 2011 Dyna

Quote:
hey doc im curious how old are you? And what do you do (besides maybe being a dr )
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2008, 03:32 PM   #17
scottwww
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
hey doc im curious how old are you? And what do you do (besides maybe being a dr )
I thought he was a pilot that liked to be called doctor because it makes him feel like he is somebody.

Appreciate 0
      07-09-2008, 05:47 PM   #18
dr335is
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
DR is just the initials of my first and last name...but some boneheads here would never understand that...
I'm 36, engineer (quit flying)...
Experienced war in my own country (unlike some war promoting and profiting idiots here), therefore, opposed to any unjustified form of it...
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2008, 10:37 PM   #19
enfield
Civilian
Canada
Rep

Drives: Jaguar F-Type V8 S

I say - good for Iran. They can test whatever they wish as long at they do not use weapons for offensive reasons.

They have a right to defend themselves and retaliate. They do not have the right to start crap. In my opinion nobody should start crap.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2008, 12:34 PM   #20
scottwww
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Rice Warns Iran That U.S. Will Defend Allies

“Deep in the Persian Gulf waters, the launch of different types of ground-to-sea, surface-to-surface, sea-to-air and the powerful launch of the Hoot missile successfully took place,”

Iran claimed to have first tested the Hoot, which means “whale” in Persian, in April 2006. A senior military official at the time described the torpedo as a sonar-evading underwater missile capable of traveling at about 230 miles per hour, about three times the speed of Western torpedoes. Military analysts have said that the Hoot, also spelled Hout, resembles a Russian rocket torpedo called the VA-111 Shkval, or Squall, a limited range weapon used in close-proximity combat.

Appreciate 0
      07-10-2008, 04:10 PM   #21
Negotiator
Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep

Drives: 07 GTI

I don't blame them. US doesn't invade nuclear capable countries...
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2008, 04:12 PM   #22
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
Rep

Drives: ....

Garage List
2008 M3  [3.50]
2007 335i  [4.50]
2008 528i  [4.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by enfield View Post
I say - good for Iran. They can test whatever they wish as long at they do not use weapons for offensive reasons.

They have a right to defend themselves and retaliate. They do not have the right to start crap. In my opinion nobody should start crap.
no they do not. they do not belong to the "west" their skin color is not "white" and they are hairy. oh they belong to the axis of evil too
Appreciate 0