BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
Lux Angel Eyes
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-07-2008, 09:39 AM   #1
ericld
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2008 BMW E92 M3, Alpine White
Join Date: May 2008
Location: CO

Posts: 237
iTrader: (0)

MPG again - it's killing the car

I'm still extremely annoyed by the MPG of the M. I'm not really worried about the money it takes to fill the tank, it's just how OFTEN you have to do it that's the annoyance. I have about 600 miles on my car and I am going to need to get gas today... FOR THE 4th TIME. I paid cash for the car, I can afford to fill it up. But I'm sick of stopping for gas all the time.

The sticker says 14-20. BS. In normal everyday driving where I keep my foot out of it I am getting 11.9 (says the computer) but in actuality, math says I'm getting 10.5. Almost single digit gas mileage in the year 2008. WTF?

Just as a test I did everything I could to get 20 last week. I took highway routes, kept the RPM's in the 2k range, rolled to stoplights in neutral, air conditioner off, etc...Never did better than 13.8

THAT is ridiculous. My friends 997 gets 19 all the time. If I drive like an angel I can get our SUV above 22. Bad engineering on BMW's part.

Last edited by ericld; 07-07-2008 at 10:47 AM.
ericld is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-07-2008, 09:44 AM   #2
ihyln
Banned
 
Drives: M3post sucks
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: M3post sucks

Posts: 3,385
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
2002 530i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to ihyln
That is pretty bad. Are you sure you aren't towing anything?
ihyln is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-07-2008, 09:44 AM   #3
chromerl
Second Lieutenant
 
chromerl's Avatar
 
Drives: B/S 335i
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: T-DOT

Posts: 220
iTrader: (0)

Wait for your car to break in.

You should be able to get around 18-22 MPG Highway with your foot out of it.
chromerl is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      07-07-2008, 09:47 AM   #4
ericld
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2008 BMW E92 M3, Alpine White
Join Date: May 2008
Location: CO

Posts: 237
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihyln View Post
That is pretty bad. Are you sure you aren't towing anything?
Yeah, I'm towing a suitcase of money so I can keep gas in it
ericld is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-07-2008, 09:57 AM   #5
RealSanaii
Lieutenant
 
RealSanaii's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: US

Posts: 452
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to RealSanaii
10.5??? You must have a pretty heavy foot. Before Break-in, I got about 16.5 MPG which was not that bad.

I too agree that it is annoying to go to the gas stations so often. I wish it had a bigger tank...
__________________
I get it now... BMW FTW!
RealSanaii is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-07-2008, 09:59 AM   #6
440hpe46
Private
 
Drives: BMW M3
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Midwest/Down South

Posts: 98
iTrader: (0)

10.5...that's the worst I've ever seen...
440hpe46 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-07-2008, 10:02 AM   #7
Emdriven
Private First Class
 
Emdriven's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 Mineral Grey M4
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Miami

Posts: 102
iTrader: (0)

I'm taking it easy and getting a sad 12.0. Your right it's not about the money, it's about getting gas every 3 days that really sucks!
Emdriven is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-07-2008, 10:26 AM   #8
Ross08E93M3
Private
 
Ross08E93M3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E93 M3--AW/Fox Red
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Jersey Shore

Posts: 52
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to Ross08E93M3
I'm used to getting gas every other day...which is why my barely two year old primary car (Touareg) has 55,000 miles...and I only drive that about 4 days a week!

On topic, my ///M has been drinking more gas than I expected with an average consumption so far (approx 150 miles) of 11.2...then again I have been driving it sort of hard, but I haven't really broken the break-in rules yet. I can only imagine how bad it is going to get when I start hitting the 7,000's after the 1st service...
__________________
08 E93 M3 6MT--Alpine White / Fox Red
08 VW Touareg V8--Black Uni / Sienna
Ross08E93M3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-07-2008, 10:33 AM   #9
uthatch
Private First Class
 
uthatch's Avatar
 
Drives: AW/FR E92
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SoCal

Posts: 126
iTrader: (0)

I don't how you guys are getting milage this bad. When I went cross-country with mine I got 21.1 running 80 minimum and usually well over that.

Even around town I get 15-16 and I'm always in the gas. Just got another ticket yesterday, in fact .
uthatch is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-07-2008, 10:34 AM   #10
Keto
Major
 
Keto's Avatar
 
Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: N'awlins

Posts: 1,469
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 BMW 550i  [0.00]
2015 BMW M3  [5.00]
With DCT, I drive in D3 in stop-and-go city traffic to keep the RPM's low and I'm getting 12.9 in the city. I've started using S modes more after observing that D modes taught me that it's OK for the S65 to drive around at 1500 rpm or so.
__________________
Waiting on redelivery: 2015 F80 M3 SO/SO MT, picked up at Welt 7/1/2014, dropped off in Antwerp 7/11, currently at the VPC, possible dealer arrival 8/22
Keto is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-07-2008, 10:35 AM   #11
V1.47fan
Major
 
V1.47fan's Avatar
 
Drives: Bay M Vee
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NATIONWIDE

Posts: 1,159
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emdriven View Post
I'm taking it easy and getting a sad 12.0. Your right it's not about the money, it's about getting gas every 3 days that really sucks!
I don't have that problem with my little rocketin rabbit (335i).
V1.47fan is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-07-2008, 11:02 AM   #12
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
 
southlight's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Germany

Posts: 6,746
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericld View Post
I'm still extremely annoyed by the MPG of the M. I'm not really worried about the money it takes to fill the tank, it's just how OFTEN you have to do it that's the annoyance. I have about 600 miles on my car and I am going to need to get gas today... FOR THE 4th TIME. I paid cash for the car, I can afford to fill it up. But I'm sick of stopping for gas all the time.

The sticker says 14-20. BS. In normal everyday driving where I keep my foot out of it I am getting 11.9 (says the computer) but in actuality, math says I'm getting 10.5. Almost single digit gas mileage in the year 2008. WTF?

Just as a test I did everything I could to get 20 last week. I took highway routes, kept the RPM's in the 2k range, rolled to stoplights in neutral, air conditioner off, etc...Never did better than 13.8

THAT is ridiculous. My friends 997 gets 19 all the time. If I drive like an angel I can get our SUV above 22. Bad engineering on BMW's part.
Give it some time to settle. The break in period is the worst in terms of consumption. Most likely that will be better after the break in as some report quite impressive figures: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154432


Best regards, south
__________________
Those forums...WHY NOT?


JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
southlight is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-07-2008, 11:10 AM   #13
spike357
Private First Class
 
spike357's Avatar
 
Drives: The 1st 2008 e92 M3 in NV
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Las Vegas

Posts: 157
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 e92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
Give it some time to settle. The break in period is the worst in terms of consumption. Most likely that will be better after the break in as some report quite impressive figures: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154432


Best regards, south
I actually got better mileage during break in. I averaged 15.9 during the first 1200 miles. I've gotten a 14.9 average over the past 3000 miles. To be 11 miles to the gallon with daily driving seems very strange. When I did track day I was getting 10.5 mpg.
spike357 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-07-2008, 11:30 AM   #14
MDCTFTW
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: E92 DCT
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Norcal

Posts: 1,974
iTrader: (0)

I get 18 w/ DCT. Half freeway half city stop and go.
__________________


MDCT ... so you can drive and eat a hamburger at the same time.
MDCTFTW is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-07-2008, 11:47 AM   #15
rai
Captain
 
rai's Avatar
 
Drives: M3 coupe with DCT
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: maryland

Posts: 640
iTrader: (0)

~ 18 mix 50/50 cty/hw with my DCT.

I'd be PO-ed as well if I was getting ~10.5 mpg. That would mean fill-up every 150 miles. I fill-up 200-250 miles.
rai is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-07-2008, 11:53 AM   #16
mmmelbourne
New Member
 
Drives: e92 ///M3 melbourne red
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: SW Florida

Posts: 17
iTrader: (0)

I get 12.8 in a mix of 80/20 % city/hwy. Car has 3k miles on it...I noticed that here in FL the Ethanol % in premium is going up (some as high as 10%) which could explain a bit lower milage...
mmmelbourne is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-07-2008, 11:57 AM   #17
OldRanger
New Member
 
Drives: Jerez Black M3
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: SC, USA

Posts: 24
iTrader: (0)

This range of reported mpg averages is interesting. With manufacturing process the way it is, it would be safest to presume driver behavior would account for most of the differences between cars of similar wear. I say similar "wear" instead of similar "mileage" because some of us might have twice the engine revolutions than the next driver in the first few thousand miles.

My car has about 1,350 miles - almost all of them driven by me. I loosely followed the break in rules until they did the run-in service while my car was in for an EDC replacement at about 750 miles. Since then I've driven the car in the manner it was intended to be driven and engine speeds above 6,000 rpm are not uncommon. I live in SC, use 93 octane fuel, and operate the car at elevations ranging from 900 feet to 3,000 feet.

Sampling fuel consumption from only highway miles at 70 mph - 21 mpg
Commuting (15 miles with stop and go on either end of a 7 mile highway leg) - 19 mpg
Running the car like it should be run on mountain roads - 15.6 mpg on a 200 mile round trip :-)

Seems like the car's fuel consumption increases disproportionately if I "push" it below 5,000 rpm. Recommendation: just depress the "gas pedal" only as quickly as the car's speed changes and your mileage should improve.
OldRanger is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-07-2008, 12:23 PM   #18
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
 
southlight's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Germany

Posts: 6,746
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike357 View Post
I actually got better mileage during break in. I averaged 15.9 during the first 1200 miles. I've gotten a 14.9 average over the past 3000 miles. To be 11 miles to the gallon with daily driving seems very strange. When I did track day I was getting 10.5 mpg.
I observed the mileage getting better and better. Break in was the worst, then about the same mileage while increasing engine speeds and using full throttle. After about 8k km the car felt faster while consuming less. Averaging now about 14,x liter which seems to be fine for a high-revving V8.


Best regards, south
__________________
Those forums...WHY NOT?


JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
southlight is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-07-2008, 12:27 PM   #19
IWearScrubs
Doctor Awesome!
 
IWearScrubs's Avatar
 
Drives: M3 Sedan 6MT Jerez and Fox Red
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Posts: 194
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldRanger View Post
This range of reported mpg averages is interesting. With manufacturing process the way it is, it would be safest to presume driver behavior would account for most of the differences between cars of similar wear. I say similar "wear" instead of similar "mileage" because some of us might have twice the engine revolutions than the next driver in the first few thousand miles.

My car has about 1,350 miles - almost all of them driven by me. I loosely followed the break in rules until they did the run-in service while my car was in for an EDC replacement at about 750 miles. Since then I've driven the car in the manner it was intended to be driven and engine speeds above 6,000 rpm are not uncommon. I live in SC, use 93 octane fuel, and operate the car at elevations ranging from 900 feet to 3,000 feet.

Sampling fuel consumption from only highway miles at 70 mph - 21 mpg
Commuting (15 miles with stop and go on either end of a 7 mile highway leg) - 19 mpg
Running the car like it should be run on mountain roads - 15.6 mpg on a 200 mile round trip :-)

Seems like the car's fuel consumption increases disproportionately if I "push" it below 5,000 rpm. Recommendation: just depress the "gas pedal" only as quickly as the car's speed changes and your mileage should improve.

I am willing to bet that different fuel mixes, ie: differing ethanol amounts, have just as much to do with the range of mileage figures as do driving habits. Also, I would like to know if everyone is putting premium in their car all the time.
IWearScrubs is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-07-2008, 12:31 PM   #20
///MWorld
Second Lieutenant
 
///MWorld's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 E92 M3 6MT
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: L.A.

Posts: 295
iTrader: (0)

Stop complaining. Ur driving an M.
///MWorld is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-07-2008, 12:39 PM   #21
icemang17
Captain
 
icemang17's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 DCT
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Stockton CA

Posts: 644
iTrader: (0)

My M3 DCT coupe gets 20-21 at highway speeds (80mph)..... On the last 600 miles it has averaged 18.6mpg with a mix of driving, but probably 500 miles freeway....

My first tank was 14mpg....then 15mpg.....but the last two were strict highway road trips between 19-21 depending on how fast I drive......

HOWEVER in comparison I dropped my M at the dealer today and brought home a loaner 2008 328 sedan....it averaged 28.5mpg on my normal route home vs the M which has never done better than 21.5mpg on the same route.....I did see almost 30.0mpg when driving 65mph in traffic..... BUT the 328 is SLOW SLOW SLOW...& doesn't handle nearly as well as the M either....so it better get good gas mileage.....
__________________
Brian
2008 E92 M3, MR, DCT, extended BB leather, loaded!
1988 Porsche 928S4, Guards red/Champagne leather
1989 Porsche 928S4 track beast!!!
icemang17 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-07-2008, 12:44 PM   #22
skierman64
Brigadier General
 
skierman64's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 Space Gray M3 & E36M3
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Greater St Louis Metro area

Posts: 3,068
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
1998 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2008 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
Send a message via Yahoo to skierman64
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericld View Post
I'm still extremely annoyed by the MPG of the M. I'm not really worried about the money it takes to fill the tank, it's just how OFTEN you have to do it that's the annoyance. I have about 600 miles on my car and I am going to need to get gas today... FOR THE 4th TIME. I paid cash for the car, I can afford to fill it up. But I'm sick of stopping for gas all the time.

The sticker says 14-20. BS. In normal everyday driving where I keep my foot out of it I am getting 11.9 (says the computer) but in actuality, math says I'm getting 10.5. Almost single digit gas mileage in the year 2008. WTF?

Just as a test I did everything I could to get 20 last week. I took highway routes, kept the RPM's in the 2k range, rolled to stoplights in neutral, air conditioner off, etc...Never did better than 13.8

THAT is ridiculous. My friends 997 gets 19 all the time. If I drive like an angel I can get our SUV above 22. Bad engineering on BMW's part.
Are you sure you didn't leave the parking brake on? I've gotten 18.6 average over the last 2000 miles of driving according to the computer.

In addition, you should be getting even better mileage than most of us because you're in CO and the car leans out the mixture for the higher altitudes.
__________________
Get a professional motorsports full featured stopwatch app for your Blackberry here: http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/19464
Invest Wisely...The best mod for your money?? BMWCCA high performance driver's school. The mod that lasts a lifetime and improves the performance of any car you drive
skierman64 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:18 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST