BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-23-2008, 09:17 PM   #1
M3Cat
Enlisted Member
3
Rep
43
Posts

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Austin, TX

iTrader: (0)

Suggested first mods???

I just ordered my 2008 e90 M3 yesterday - alpine white, black novillo leather, carbon leather trim, DCT, tech package, and premium package. Expected delivery is mid-August. I want to start with some easy, affordable mods such as painted reflectors, blacked out grille, and angel eye upgrades. Any other suggestions? My husband's 335 is a leased car so we haven't been able to do any mods. Can't wait to have a car I can actually play with.
__________________
2011 E92 335is Crimson Red/Black, DCT
2008 C63 AMG
Gone: 2008 E90 M3 Alpine White/Black; 2011 X5 35d Alpine White/Black; 2005 E46 M3 Vert Jet Black/Cinnamon; 2009 Audi A5 Brilliant Black/Black; 2008 E90 335i Alpine White/Terra
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2008, 09:28 PM   #2
Rick
Stackin' Chips
Rick's Avatar
No_Country
23
Rep
607
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 AW M3 Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Santa Monica, CA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Cat View Post
I just ordered my 2008 e90 M3 yesterday - alpine white, black novillo leather, carbon leather trim, DCT, tech package, and premium package. Expected delivery is mid-August. I want to start with some easy, affordable mods such as painted reflectors, blacked out grille, and angel eye upgrades. Any other suggestions? My husband's 335 is a leased car so we haven't been able to do any mods. Can't wait to have a car I can actually play with.
Congratulations on your order. Beautiful color combo, it's exactly what I have and I am really happy with it. I've done the matte black grills and GP Thunder angel eye upgrade. As far as the reflectors, I think I'm gonna wait for clear ones to come out because I think they will look great on Alpine White. Most of the other mods M3 owners are doing are pricier than the aforementioned, aftermarket wheels, springs, exhaust, BBKs, body kits are just a few that will set you back a good chunk of change. Take a look at the photos forum for examples.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2008, 10:15 PM   #3
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
United_States
137
Rep
7,650
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe, 2012 ML350
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lake Oswego, OR

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Cat View Post
I just ordered my 2008 e90 M3 yesterday - alpine white, black novillo leather, carbon leather trim, DCT, tech package, and premium package. Expected delivery is mid-August. I want to start with some easy, affordable mods such as painted reflectors, blacked out grille, and angel eye upgrades. Any other suggestions? My husband's 335 is a leased car so we haven't been able to do any mods. Can't wait to have a car I can actually play with.
I've done little stuff, like nonsmoker package, painted reflectors, etc. First big one will be exhaust. Eisenmann Sprot Performance on order, but a couple weeks out yet. I'm not looking for more power, just a more autoritative sound and slightly larger tips.
__________________

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2015 M4 Coupe - Silverstone/Sakhir/CF
2012 ML350
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2008, 10:48 PM   #4
Big Windy
Major General
Big Windy's Avatar
United_States
71
Rep
5,118
Posts

 
Drives: audi s4
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: seatac, wa

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
I've done little stuff, like nonsmoker package, painted reflectors, etc. First big one will be exhaust. Eisenmann Sprot Performance on order, but a couple weeks out yet. I'm not looking for more power, just a more autoritative sound and slightly larger tips.
+1 to Greg on the nonsmoker mod. That definitely seems like a great idea. Seems silly for a mod, but alarm install might be a priority.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 08:26 AM   #5
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
United_States
137
Rep
7,650
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe, 2012 ML350
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lake Oswego, OR

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Alarm install

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Windy View Post
+1 to Greg on the nonsmoker mod. That definitely seems like a great idea. Seems silly for a mod, but alarm install might be a priority.
Yes, I did the alarm first thing.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128343

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...ighlight=alarm

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...ighlight=alarm
__________________

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2015 M4 Coupe - Silverstone/Sakhir/CF
2012 ML350
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 10:18 AM   #6
booforty
Major General
booforty's Avatar
United Kingdom
130
Rep
8,813
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: London, UK

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
First mods for me are grilles, bulbs and tints - then rear diffuser
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 03:32 PM   #7
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
262
Rep
17,021
Posts

 
Drives: BMW Duh
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Santa Clara

iTrader: (13)

Send a message via AIM to SV Concepts III
You are definitely on your way. My first recommendations would be the grills, painted reflectors, tint and angel eyes.

If you are looking for some body components, all of the Vorsteiner E92 M3 parts can be installed and removed without any permanent modification to the vehicle. At the moment, we have the front spoiler available for the sedan, the rear diffuser will be available later this summer.

Vorsteiner E90/E92 M3 Front Aero Lip

I'd also recommend some interior upgrades like our Interior Xenon Bulb Kits and the new Vorsteiner CF Interior Trim which will be available in the coming weeks.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 05:16 PM   #8
Ryan@IND
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Ryan@IND's Avatar
United_States
245
Rep
4,263
Posts


 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (16)

Send a message via AIM to Ryan@IND Send a message via Skype™ to Ryan@IND
definitely, the grilles, bulbs/angel eyes, tint.
followed by Eisenmann Race/Sport and some Aero like the vorsteiner.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2008, 03:15 AM   #9
jlgt3
Private
1
Rep
50
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Diamond Bar

iTrader: (1)

i am going to pick up my car tomorrow or friday.
i already go black grill, carbon hood emblem, carbon trunk emblem.
i cannot wait to install it.

still looking for angel eye light bulb. i can not make decision between 7500 or 8500k.
__________________
2008 M3 AW
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2008, 08:24 AM   #10
ihyln
Banned
United_States
44
Rep
3,385
Posts

 
Drives: M3post sucks
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: M3post sucks

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
2002 530i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to ihyln
I got both but I'm finding out that 7500k will be better for daytime. 8500k look better for nighttime.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2008, 09:46 AM   #11
J08M3
Major General
J08M3's Avatar
United_States
102
Rep
6,012
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NEW YORK

iTrader: (8)

7500k look better day and night. 8500k is too blue
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2008, 10:45 AM   #12
ersin
Brigadier General
ersin's Avatar
United_States
42
Rep
4,071
Posts

 
Drives: 08 IB E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (1)

First: clear bra, tint and hardwire a radar detector.

Later: Sunglass holder to replace ashtray is fairly easy to do yourself. I haven't seen any reflector replacements that look good to me yet. Angel eyes and grill if you really want to.

As far as performance mods, I don't think the M3 will need any. If anything replace brake pads and fluid. But you'll eventually get to that anyway. A rear diffuser might hide that ugly rear hanging low muffler or you could get an after market exhaust but they're expensive.

Other ideas:
o First aid kit and fire extinguisher.
o The euro light switch that gives you rear fog lights.
o I'm not sure if the rear center console has lighter sockets. But if not you can add these.
o Tray for the rear fold down armrest. You might already have this. Some do, some don't. Maybe only CWP doesn't come with it. IDK.
o Replace shift knob, shift boot, park brake handle and park brake boot. Ancantara would be nice for the boots.
o Alcantara steering wheel.
o Rubber floor mats (for winter)
o Net for trunk. Also ///M trunk mat.
o BMW plastic tray for holding small things at the top of trunk.
__________________

I've been assimilated. 6MT/ZPP/18"/PS extended.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2008, 05:53 PM   #13
PunjabiM3
Lieutenant Colonel
PunjabiM3's Avatar
India
35
Rep
1,834
Posts

 
Drives: R8 5.2 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Oro Valley, AZ

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersin View Post
First: clear bra, tint and hardwire a radar detector.

Later: Sunglass holder to replace ashtray is fairly easy to do yourself. I haven't seen any reflector replacements that look good to me yet. Angel eyes and grill if you really want to.

As far as performance mods, I don't think the M3 will need any. If anything replace brake pads and fluid. But you'll eventually get to that anyway. A rear diffuser might hide that ugly rear hanging low muffler or you could get an after market exhaust but they're expensive.

Other ideas:
o First aid kit and fire extinguisher.
o The euro light switch that gives you rear fog lights.
o I'm not sure if the rear center console has lighter sockets. But if not you can add these.
o Tray for the rear fold down armrest. You might already have this. Some do, some don't. Maybe only CWP doesn't come with it. IDK.
o Replace shift knob, shift boot, park brake handle and park brake boot. Ancantara would be nice for the boots.
o Alcantara steering wheel.
o Rubber floor mats (for winter)
o Net for trunk. Also ///M trunk mat.
o BMW plastic tray for holding small things at the top of trunk.
Do you have a part number for the net for trunk and also ///M trunk mat? Whats the best place to get BMW parts from at a discount?
__________________
2012 Audi R8 V10, 6MT, Suzuka Gray, Capristo X-Pipe, Klassen M52R, GMG springs, R8 GT tails, Satin Black badges
2012 Audi A6 3.0T Prestige, Moonlight Blue
2015 BMW X5 35d, Mineral White
Previous: 11 e82 1M, Several 911's & M3's
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2008, 07:39 PM   #14
ersin
Brigadier General
ersin's Avatar
United_States
42
Rep
4,071
Posts

 
Drives: 08 IB E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunjabiM3 View Post
Do you have a part number for the net for trunk and also ///M trunk mat? Whats the best place to get BMW parts from at a discount?
Luggage compartment net is 51479410805. I could be wrong so please check this.

Now that I think back to the E46 M3 I had, the ///M trunk mat came standard. I could not find an ///M3 trunk mat on the BMW accessory web site. Ask your CA or just go to the dealer and ask to look in the trunk of any M3 they have on the log because I'm thinking that they come with it standard.

Tischer BMW in Silver Spring MD always have pretty good prices. I don't know if they're the best. Good luck.
__________________

I've been assimilated. 6MT/ZPP/18"/PS extended.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2008, 08:21 PM   #15
ersin
Brigadier General
ersin's Avatar
United_States
42
Rep
4,071
Posts

 
Drives: 08 IB E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (1)

I just realized that the OP ordered DCT. I have not seen any shift boots for DCT yet. It is not like the manual transmission and the rest of the 3 series. Maybe the M5/M6 SMG boot is the same. But if not I'm sure one in other types of leather will become available soon enough. As for the shift knob you probably wouldn't want to change it. And if you did you'd lose the light up feature.
__________________

I've been assimilated. 6MT/ZPP/18"/PS extended.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2008, 10:50 PM   #16
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
United_States
137
Rep
7,650
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe, 2012 ML350
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lake Oswego, OR

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersin View Post
Now that I think back to the E46 M3 I had, the ///M trunk mat came standard. I could not find an ///M3 trunk mat on the BMW accessory web site. Ask your CA or just go to the dealer and ask to look in the trunk of any M3 they have on the log because I'm thinking that they come with it standard.
The mats (interior or trunk) have never been standard. Sometimes the dealer will "throw them in". I go floor mats from the dealer gratis, but paid $76.50 ($85 list) for the trunk mat #82-11-0-444-700. Bee advised the mat doe snot cover the full width of the trunk, only the width of the bottom hinged panel.

Circle BMW has good accessories prices if your dealer won't give you a club or preferred discount.
__________________

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2015 M4 Coupe - Silverstone/Sakhir/CF
2012 ML350

Last edited by GregW / Oregon; 06-28-2008 at 01:11 PM.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2008, 12:14 PM   #17
Sadd
Private First Class
United_States
7
Rep
110
Posts

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Washington DC, Arlington VA

iTrader: (1)

what u mean alarm install, dont tell me it doesnt come with an alarm, or r u guys talking about an upgrade??
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2008, 01:12 PM   #18
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
United_States
137
Rep
7,650
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe, 2012 ML350
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lake Oswego, OR

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadd View Post
what u mean alarm install, dont tell me it doesnt come with an alarm, or r u guys talking about an upgrade??
Like all the 3-Series, alarm is a dealer (or self-installed) accessory. It is prepped for it and installation is simple.
__________________

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2015 M4 Coupe - Silverstone/Sakhir/CF
2012 ML350
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2008, 03:18 PM   #19
Sadd
Private First Class
United_States
7
Rep
110
Posts

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Washington DC, Arlington VA

iTrader: (1)

that is so stupid, i ve never heard of such a thing in Europe.I don't know, when u buy a 70k car u expect that to be included.
How much u have to pay for that
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2008, 05:49 PM   #20
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
United_States
137
Rep
7,650
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe, 2012 ML350
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lake Oswego, OR

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadd View Post
that is so stupid, i ve never heard of such a thing in Europe.I don't know, when u buy a 70k car u expect that to be included.
How much u have to pay for that
Not really so stupid. A lot of things could be standard, at the expense of a higher base price. The money went into performance stuff. Extras each buyer can decide if they want to pay for. Alarm is $311 plus about one hour's installation, or whatever you can work out with you SA.
__________________

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2015 M4 Coupe - Silverstone/Sakhir/CF
2012 ML350
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:10 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST