BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion
 
European Auto Source
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-26-2008, 09:40 AM   #1
ganeil
Colonel
ganeil's Avatar
United_States
35
Rep
2,050
Posts

 
Drives: 328i Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Georgia

iTrader: (0)

Second Amendment Decision

The Supreme Court issued its opinion in the DC gun ban case ruling that the Second Amendment protects an individual right to keep and bear arms.

The opinion can be found here.
__________________
_____________

1974 2002tii
1978 320i
2007 328i
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2008, 09:54 AM   #2
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
94
Rep
7,919
Posts

 
Drives: 330i
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Washington DC

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 330i  [4.50]
Not yet made the news?

EDIT - nope, there it is now.
__________________


330i | Black Sapphire | Beige + Burl | Sport | Premium | Cold | Nav | CA | Sat prep
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2008, 10:24 AM   #3
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
94
Rep
7,919
Posts

 
Drives: 330i
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Washington DC

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 330i  [4.50]
I should add -- not a big surprise. Interesting to read the oral arguments (see here). Dellinger is a former prof of mine.
__________________


330i | Black Sapphire | Beige + Burl | Sport | Premium | Cold | Nav | CA | Sat prep
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2008, 10:36 AM   #4
Mr.Metak2you
Brigadier General
Mr.Metak2you's Avatar
126
Rep
4,758
Posts

 
Drives: LEXUS LS(DailyDriver)
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwr'

iTrader: (15)

Garage List
I always knew that laws certain cities like Chicago and DC were passing were illegal. Great day for the Consitution!
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2008, 11:11 AM   #5
scottwww
Brigadier General
scottwww's Avatar
United_States
167
Rep
4,759
Posts

 
Drives: 07 BMW 335i Cpe, 05 Mazda RX8
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via MSN to scottwww
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganeil View Post
The Supreme Court issued its opinion in the DC gun ban case ruling that the Second Amendment protects an individual right to keep and bear arms.

The opinion can be found here.
That's a really long document. The parts of it I read look like the court made a good decision. Generally, you can get a good idea of whether it was a good or bad decision based solely on which four justices were in the minority opinion.

For an article about the decision, the New York Times has some interesting bits.
__________________
2007 BMW 335i E92, Montego Blue on Cream Beige, MT, ZSP, ZPP, CA, PDC, CWP and Style 188 for winter

offTopic - politics - ChoppedPhoto
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2008, 11:51 AM   #6
BKsBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
BKsBimmer's Avatar
41
Rep
1,638
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 330xi Titanium Silver
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: USA / Silver Spring, Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 330xi  [5.00]
2006 330xi  [0.00]
This decision will likely not end here. D.C. has promised to appeal to the Supreme Court if necessary. This opens up a very important legal debate over the Second Amendment with huge national implications. Keep an eye on this one. You'll be seeing and hearing a lot more about it.
__________________
_____________________________________
330xi/TiAg/Black/Alum/6sp/ZPP/ZSP/Nav/CA/CW/PDC/Sirius Satellite Radio/OEM Spoiler/Blacklines/19" Axis Hiro Hyper Silver/Toyo Proxes 4 Ultra High Performance all season F 235/35/19 R 265/30/19/10mm spacers F/15mm spacers R/M3 front bumber/M-tech rear bumper
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2008, 11:53 AM   #7
scottwww
Brigadier General
scottwww's Avatar
United_States
167
Rep
4,759
Posts

 
Drives: 07 BMW 335i Cpe, 05 Mazda RX8
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via MSN to scottwww
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKsBimmer View Post
This decision will likely not end here. D.C. has promised to appeal to the Supreme Court if necessary. This opens up a very important legal debate over the Second Amendment with huge national implications. Keep an eye on this one. You'll be seeing and hearing a lot more about it.
Did you read today's Supreme Court of the United States decision? Or at least the article that I linked about it? What court will D.C. appeal to? The world court?
__________________
2007 BMW 335i E92, Montego Blue on Cream Beige, MT, ZSP, ZPP, CA, PDC, CWP and Style 188 for winter

offTopic - politics - ChoppedPhoto
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2008, 11:58 AM   #8
scottwww
Brigadier General
scottwww's Avatar
United_States
167
Rep
4,759
Posts

 
Drives: 07 BMW 335i Cpe, 05 Mazda RX8
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via MSN to scottwww
It is only the extreme left that wants to repeal the 2nd Amendment, isn't it? And isn't it only an extreme leftist minority in the court that would actually try to repeal the 2nd Amendment by a court decision rather than the Constitutional means of doing so by approval of 2/3 of congress and 3/4 of the states?

Those four extremist justices should be replaced with strict constructionists. This should be the biggest issue of this presidential election.
__________________
2007 BMW 335i E92, Montego Blue on Cream Beige, MT, ZSP, ZPP, CA, PDC, CWP and Style 188 for winter

offTopic - politics - ChoppedPhoto
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2008, 12:05 PM   #9
BKsBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
BKsBimmer's Avatar
41
Rep
1,638
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 330xi Titanium Silver
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: USA / Silver Spring, Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 330xi  [5.00]
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottwww View Post
Did you read today's Supreme Court of the United States decision? Or at least the article that I linked about it? What court will D.C. appeal to? The world court?

You know I never pay serious attention to anything you post. But this one is definitely my bad. I didn't realize this WAS the Supreme Court Decision everyone was waiting to hear.

Oh well ... guess DC will be back to the murder capital of the world. Great job Scalia et al.
__________________
_____________________________________
330xi/TiAg/Black/Alum/6sp/ZPP/ZSP/Nav/CA/CW/PDC/Sirius Satellite Radio/OEM Spoiler/Blacklines/19" Axis Hiro Hyper Silver/Toyo Proxes 4 Ultra High Performance all season F 235/35/19 R 265/30/19/10mm spacers F/15mm spacers R/M3 front bumber/M-tech rear bumper
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2008, 12:07 PM   #10
Mr.Metak2you
Brigadier General
Mr.Metak2you's Avatar
126
Rep
4,758
Posts

 
Drives: LEXUS LS(DailyDriver)
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwr'

iTrader: (15)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKsBimmer View Post
You know I never pay serious attention to anything you post. But this one is definitely my bad. I didn't realize this WAS the Supreme Court Decision everyone was waiting to hear.

Oh well ... guess DC will be back to the murder capital of the world.
Gun laws did NOT work in DC. It already is one of the highest gun related murder capitals.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2008, 12:19 PM   #11
ganeil
Colonel
ganeil's Avatar
United_States
35
Rep
2,050
Posts

 
Drives: 328i Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Georgia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKsBimmer View Post
Oh well ... guess DC will be back to the murder capital of the world. Great job Scalia et al.
Will you please try to explain to me how having a law that restricts gun ownership deters someone who is already willing to break the law concerning murder?

"Well I really want to kill that person but I do not want to get in trouble for having an illegal gun." ??
__________________
_____________

1974 2002tii
1978 320i
2007 328i
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2008, 12:22 PM   #12
Neurorad
Major
Neurorad's Avatar
18
Rep
1,212
Posts

 
Drives: 330xi 6MT Blk/Blk SP
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Location, Location

iTrader: (0)

Huzzah! <shooting gun into air, because it's fun>

What percentage of gun enthusiasts actually care about other parts of the constitution?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2008, 12:26 PM   #13
BKsBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
BKsBimmer's Avatar
41
Rep
1,638
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 330xi Titanium Silver
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: USA / Silver Spring, Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 330xi  [5.00]
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Just picture every Joe Shmo and his brother on a crowded DC Metro train packin a handgun. Gives you kind of warm feeling inside doesn't it?
__________________
_____________________________________
330xi/TiAg/Black/Alum/6sp/ZPP/ZSP/Nav/CA/CW/PDC/Sirius Satellite Radio/OEM Spoiler/Blacklines/19" Axis Hiro Hyper Silver/Toyo Proxes 4 Ultra High Performance all season F 235/35/19 R 265/30/19/10mm spacers F/15mm spacers R/M3 front bumber/M-tech rear bumper
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2008, 12:26 PM   #14
Neurorad
Major
Neurorad's Avatar
18
Rep
1,212
Posts

 
Drives: 330xi 6MT Blk/Blk SP
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Location, Location

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottwww View Post
It is only the extreme left that wants to repeal the 2nd Amendment, isn't it? And isn't it only an extreme leftist minority in the court that would actually try to repeal the 2nd Amendment by a court decision rather than the Constitutional means of doing so by approval of 2/3 of congress and 3/4 of the states?

Those four extremist justices should be replaced with strict constructionists. This should be the biggest issue of this presidential election.
REPEAL? It's an issue of interpretation. Militias should be armed.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2008, 12:30 PM   #15
scottwww
Brigadier General
scottwww's Avatar
United_States
167
Rep
4,759
Posts

 
Drives: 07 BMW 335i Cpe, 05 Mazda RX8
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via MSN to scottwww
"It looks like the D.C. ban overshot the runway. It looks like it was unconstitutional." This is a quote from BHO. He continued to say absolutely nothing in many words. His MO often seems to be to state the obvious as if the hearer didn't know there was a decision. Maybe BKsBimmer should have been listening to his messiah. But then, he would just get drivel that masks the great disappointment over such a defeat.

How do you feel about it BKsBimmer?
__________________
2007 BMW 335i E92, Montego Blue on Cream Beige, MT, ZSP, ZPP, CA, PDC, CWP and Style 188 for winter

offTopic - politics - ChoppedPhoto
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2008, 12:32 PM   #16
scottwww
Brigadier General
scottwww's Avatar
United_States
167
Rep
4,759
Posts

 
Drives: 07 BMW 335i Cpe, 05 Mazda RX8
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via MSN to scottwww
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKsBimmer View Post
Just picture every Joe Shmo and his brother on a crowded DC Metro train packin a handgun. Gives you kind of warm feeling inside doesn't it?
Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think this decision had anything to do with concealed weapons.
__________________
2007 BMW 335i E92, Montego Blue on Cream Beige, MT, ZSP, ZPP, CA, PDC, CWP and Style 188 for winter

offTopic - politics - ChoppedPhoto
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2008, 12:34 PM   #17
Neurorad
Major
Neurorad's Avatar
18
Rep
1,212
Posts

 
Drives: 330xi 6MT Blk/Blk SP
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Location, Location

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganeil View Post
Will you please try to explain to me how having a law that restricts gun ownership deters someone who is already willing to break the law concerning murder?

"Well I really want to kill that person but I do not want to get in trouble for having an illegal gun." ??
Many murders with guns are not premeditated. If there isn't a gun handy, someone's going to have a broken a jaw, and not a hole in the chest. Often, the murderer has no prior problems with the law, and is a law-abiding citizen.

Also, if there were fewer legal guns, this would lead to fewer illegal guns, as most guns used illegally were purchased legally and then stolen.

It's only theoretical, as there are 100 trillion guns in circulation already.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2008, 12:35 PM   #18
BKsBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
BKsBimmer's Avatar
41
Rep
1,638
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 330xi Titanium Silver
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: USA / Silver Spring, Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 330xi  [5.00]
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Wow Scotty ... sure didn't take you long to bring your Obama hate obsession into this thread. Hope you get help soon. LOL
__________________
_____________________________________
330xi/TiAg/Black/Alum/6sp/ZPP/ZSP/Nav/CA/CW/PDC/Sirius Satellite Radio/OEM Spoiler/Blacklines/19" Axis Hiro Hyper Silver/Toyo Proxes 4 Ultra High Performance all season F 235/35/19 R 265/30/19/10mm spacers F/15mm spacers R/M3 front bumber/M-tech rear bumper
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2008, 12:38 PM   #19
Neurorad
Major
Neurorad's Avatar
18
Rep
1,212
Posts

 
Drives: 330xi 6MT Blk/Blk SP
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Location, Location

iTrader: (0)

I was wondering who BHO was. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2008, 12:38 PM   #20
ganeil
Colonel
ganeil's Avatar
United_States
35
Rep
2,050
Posts

 
Drives: 328i Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Georgia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post
Many murders with guns are not premeditated. If there isn't a gun handy, someone's going to have a broken a jaw, and not a hole in the chest. Often, the murderer has no prior problems with the law, and is a law-abiding citizen.

Also, if there were fewer legal guns, this would lead to fewer illegal guns, as most guns used illegally were purchased legally and then stolen.

It's only theoretical, as there are 100 trillion guns in circulation already.
Do you have any type of data to support your contentions? What percentage of homicides committed with handguns are committed in the absence of an ongoing felony or by a person without a previous criminal history?
__________________
_____________

1974 2002tii
1978 320i
2007 328i
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2008, 12:39 PM   #21
scottwww
Brigadier General
scottwww's Avatar
United_States
167
Rep
4,759
Posts

 
Drives: 07 BMW 335i Cpe, 05 Mazda RX8
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via MSN to scottwww
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post
REPEAL? It's an issue of interpretation. Militias should be armed.
Who is the militia?

For your review:
Amendment 2 - Right to Bear Arms. Ratified 12/15/1791.
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The militia is the people. A militia may form as needed. Isn't it people keeping their own weapons for defense? If not that, then what is it? Spell it out for us.
__________________
2007 BMW 335i E92, Montego Blue on Cream Beige, MT, ZSP, ZPP, CA, PDC, CWP and Style 188 for winter

offTopic - politics - ChoppedPhoto
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2008, 12:45 PM   #22
scottwww
Brigadier General
scottwww's Avatar
United_States
167
Rep
4,759
Posts

 
Drives: 07 BMW 335i Cpe, 05 Mazda RX8
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via MSN to scottwww
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKsBimmer View Post
Wow Scotty ... sure didn't take you long to bring your Obama hate obsession into this thread. Hope you get help soon. LOL
If it were Teddy Kennedy, Dicky Durbin, Dingy Harry Reid, or any number of other socialists in government who I had heard on the radio, I likely would have commented on them. Right now, BHO is leader of the socialists, so his words might be considered representative of the whole. I haven't heard Johnny Mac speak yet. Have you?
__________________
2007 BMW 335i E92, Montego Blue on Cream Beige, MT, ZSP, ZPP, CA, PDC, CWP and Style 188 for winter

offTopic - politics - ChoppedPhoto
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:07 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST