BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion
 
European Auto Source
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-24-2008, 10:36 PM   #23
Neurorad
Major
39

 
Neurorad's Avatar
 
Drives: 330xi 6MT Blk/Blk SP
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Location, Location


Posts: 1,212
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by consolidated View Post
a life well lived. rest in peace George.
I don't know about 'well-lived', if he had to go through rehab. But as a quasi-intellectual, he certainly made you think (if you can tolerate the few toilet jokes thrown in).

He had a knack for ridiculing anything mainstream, things everyone thinks of as 'normal' and 'acceptable'.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 10:44 PM   #24
Mr.Metak2you
Brigadier General
159

 
Mr.Metak2you's Avatar
 
Drives: LEXUS LS(DailyDriver)
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwr'


Posts: 4,753
iTrader: (15)

Garage List
this breaking news? Didn't he die on Sunday?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 10:56 PM   #25
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
47

 
consolidated's Avatar
 
Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas


Posts: 1,709
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post
I don't know about 'well-lived', if he had to go through rehab. But as a quasi-intellectual, he certainly made you think (if you can tolerate the few toilet jokes thrown in).

He had a knack for ridiculing anything mainstream, things everyone thinks of as 'normal' and 'acceptable'.
exactly, if every joke has a nugget of truth, his humor flicked the lights on while keeping you laughing.

Concerning rehab, I won't pretend to know and understand him as a individual so I can't comment on rehab but then he didn't try to sell himself as a model human being. The man's humor raged against hypocrisy, we can only all hope to be happily flawed, but aware.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 10:31 AM   #26
Negotiator
Lieutenant
Ukraine
20

 
Negotiator's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 GTI
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Fairfax, VA


Posts: 539
iTrader: (0)

The rules are Bill Maher's.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 11:42 AM   #27
scottwww
Brigadier General
United_States
274

 
scottwww's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 BMW 335i Cpe, 05 Mazda RX8
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: USA


Posts: 4,759
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via MSN to scottwww
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post
Crap, mod deleted my Carlin post!

I found a bit he did railing against religion, and I guess KL2DC found it too offensive.

That's a first for me - deleted post!

Carlin's last book was pretty entertaining - When Will Jesus Bring the Pork Chops?
I would like to have seen that post. Perhaps it should have stayed up so that it could serve are an example of why George Carlin was despised by many.
__________________
2007 BMW 335i E92, Montego Blue on Cream Beige, MT, ZSP, ZPP, CA, PDC, CWP and Style 188 for winter

offTopic - politics - ChoppedPhoto
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 11:48 AM   #28
dr335is
Brigadier General
77

 
Drives: GTI
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Dallas, TX


Posts: 4,973
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottwww View Post
I would like to have seen that post. Perhaps it should have stayed up so that it could serve are an example of why George Carlin was despised by many.
but liked by many more...who appreciate the Freedom of Speach we pride ourselves on...

Sounds familiar???
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 11:55 AM   #29
scottwww
Brigadier General
United_States
274

 
scottwww's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 BMW 335i Cpe, 05 Mazda RX8
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: USA


Posts: 4,759
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via MSN to scottwww
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr325i View Post
but liked by many more...who appreciate the Freedom of Speach we pride ourselves on...

Sounds familiar???
You assume that I don't appreciate Freedom of Speech. You assume too much.

Carlin was able to exercise his freedom of speech all he wanted, but there are consequences to his speech. He was despised by many. Was he a good representative for your thoughts?

Maybe you could name some people whom you despise that if they died it would be a good riddance. Then we will all have a better concept of who you are.
__________________
2007 BMW 335i E92, Montego Blue on Cream Beige, MT, ZSP, ZPP, CA, PDC, CWP and Style 188 for winter

offTopic - politics - ChoppedPhoto
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 12:03 PM   #30
dr335is
Brigadier General
77

 
Drives: GTI
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Dallas, TX


Posts: 4,973
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottwww View Post
You assume that I don't appreciate Freedom of Speech. You assume too much.

Carlin was able to exercise his freedom of speech all he wanted, but there are consequences to his speech. He was despised by many. Was he a good representative for your thoughts?

Maybe you could name some people whom you despise that if they died it would be a good riddance. Then we will all have a better concept of who you are.
I know (almost) nothing about Carlin, I knew who he was, although, I was raised abroad...
I don't love him, I don't hate him. I know what he stood for, and how he "offended" you religious freaks...

Three people I hate would be -- Bush, Chaney, Rowe. I guess, now you can put me in the category with about 98% of the World's population...
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 12:15 PM   #31
Neurorad
Major
39

 
Neurorad's Avatar
 
Drives: 330xi 6MT Blk/Blk SP
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Location, Location


Posts: 1,212
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottwww View Post
I would like to have seen that post. Perhaps it should have stayed up so that it could serve are an example of why George Carlin was despised by many.
George Carlin insults religion:

http://www.rense.com/general69/obj.htm
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 12:35 PM   #32
scottwww
Brigadier General
United_States
274

 
scottwww's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 BMW 335i Cpe, 05 Mazda RX8
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: USA


Posts: 4,759
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via MSN to scottwww
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post
George Carlin insults religion:

http://www.rense.com/general69/obj.htm
Is that all? Seems to me I have heard him in much more vulgar and abusive form. Based on his words, we will not have to wonder if we'll be seeing him again some day... but maybe some of you will.
__________________
2007 BMW 335i E92, Montego Blue on Cream Beige, MT, ZSP, ZPP, CA, PDC, CWP and Style 188 for winter

offTopic - politics - ChoppedPhoto
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 12:42 PM   #33
Negotiator
Lieutenant
Ukraine
20

 
Negotiator's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 GTI
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Fairfax, VA


Posts: 539
iTrader: (0)

Yes, yes, heaven - hell, Santa Jesus, etc...
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 12:57 PM   #34
Neurorad
Major
39

 
Neurorad's Avatar
 
Drives: 330xi 6MT Blk/Blk SP
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Location, Location


Posts: 1,212
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottwww View Post
Maybe you could name some people whom you despise that if they died it would be a good riddance. Then we will all have a better concept of who you are.
I don't wish death on anybody.

"Their enemies are not man. They are intolerance, fanaticism, dictatorship, cupidity, hatred, and discrimination which lie within the heart of man." -Thich Nhat Hanh

Don't hate the person.

Ideas I personally disdain:

1. Intolerance
2. Dishonesty
3. Greed
4. Corruption
5. Ignorance

Many, many people hold these ideas, and it infuriates me when people openly praise them.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 01:44 PM   #35
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
641

 
Drives: ....
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: .


Posts: 46,037
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 M3  [3.50]
2007 335i  [4.50]
2008 528i  [4.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by e90im View Post
Who the fuck are you?
that's what im trying to figure out on bimmerpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironjw View Post
His name is Nabil ... I believe
thank you
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 01:47 PM   #36
scottwww
Brigadier General
United_States
274

 
scottwww's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 BMW 335i Cpe, 05 Mazda RX8
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: USA


Posts: 4,759
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via MSN to scottwww
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post
Ideas I personally disdain:

1. Intolerance
Do you disdain intollerance? Or those whom you call intollerant? Does this make you intollerant?

Left-Wing Intolerance
"I think intolerance is a little mild," Jewish author Harry Stein said to the panel he moderated Monday. "What about 'the viciousness of the left?' It is amazing how furious people on the left get when you call them on this," said Mr. Stein, a former liberal who now sides with conservatives.

Intolerant liberal professors news
LIberals Prove Themselves Intolerant (Again)
Limbaugh Shows How Intolerant 'Liberals' Wage War on Christianity
Liberalism and Intolerance
__________________
2007 BMW 335i E92, Montego Blue on Cream Beige, MT, ZSP, ZPP, CA, PDC, CWP and Style 188 for winter

offTopic - politics - ChoppedPhoto
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 04:39 PM   #37
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
80

 
UncleWede's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 325i Arctic
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Oxnard, CA


Posts: 2,364
iTrader: (0)

I don't know if he wrote his own material or not, but there was some sharp witt there somewhere.

I laughed all the time, actually liked to see him when possible, and I consider myself religious.

If he could demonstrate that he wrote his own material, and could think like that on his feet, I would have penciled him in for president, right after Dennis Miller. It was the "take no shit from idiots" mentality that appealed to me.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 04:58 PM   #38
scottwww
Brigadier General
United_States
274

 
scottwww's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 BMW 335i Cpe, 05 Mazda RX8
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: USA


Posts: 4,759
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via MSN to scottwww
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
I don't know if he wrote his own material or not, but there was some sharp witt there somewhere.

I laughed all the time, actually liked to see him when possible, and I consider myself religious.
Sharp wit does not equate to wisdom or intelligence. He is funniest when you are stoned or drunk.

I liked him when I was a teenager. Haven't liked him since. I do not consider myself religious, but I have never felt the need to argue the point. Many who attack faith and religion generally don't have any idea there could be a difference.
__________________
2007 BMW 335i E92, Montego Blue on Cream Beige, MT, ZSP, ZPP, CA, PDC, CWP and Style 188 for winter

offTopic - politics - ChoppedPhoto
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 05:04 PM   #39
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
80

 
UncleWede's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 325i Arctic
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Oxnard, CA


Posts: 2,364
iTrader: (0)

I had just the opposite experience. When I was younger and always (takes the fifth) I didn't think he was funny. As I got older (not necessarily wiser) and didn't (takes the fifth and pours it in a glass) I started to look past teh jokes and hear some wisdom. I particularly liked a bit I heard from him a fe wmonths back about germophobe moms and what he went thru swimming in the Hudson as a kid. Test that immune system, make it stronger but introducing intruders and warding them off. He took it to extremes, but some of us appluaded teh witt and wisdom behind it.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 07:04 PM   #40
jhv
Lieutenant General
No_Country
731

 
jhv's Avatar
 
Drives: Every Day
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Los Angeles


Posts: 17,307
iTrader: (1)

i wish i could have seen him perform
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2008, 10:12 AM   #41
Neurorad
Major
39

 
Neurorad's Avatar
 
Drives: 330xi 6MT Blk/Blk SP
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Location, Location


Posts: 1,212
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottwww View Post
Do you disdain intollerance? Or those whom you call intollerant? Does this make you intollerant?

Left-Wing Intolerance
"I think intolerance is a little mild," Jewish author Harry Stein said to the panel he moderated Monday. "What about 'the viciousness of the left?' It is amazing how furious people on the left get when you call them on this," said Mr. Stein, a former liberal who now sides with conservatives.

Intolerant liberal professors news
LIberals Prove Themselves Intolerant (Again)
Limbaugh Shows How Intolerant 'Liberals' Wage War on Christianity
Liberalism and Intolerance
I don't have time to read them all, but briefly, I don't like intolerance, but you don't see me holding a picket sign. Mostly, I tolerate intolerant people. I don't like it, but I tolerate it. As long as you don't hurt anyone, you can say what you want. I may think you're being an asshole for saying something derogatory, but it's freedom of speech, it's America.

If someone is doing something that will cause inury to someone else, I am intolerant of that behavior, and talk that would lead to that action.

Generally, I think every person should tolerate everyone else, and show some respect. I won't tolerate intolerance.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2008, 10:50 AM   #42
scottwww
Brigadier General
United_States
274

 
scottwww's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 BMW 335i Cpe, 05 Mazda RX8
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: USA


Posts: 4,759
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via MSN to scottwww
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post
I don't have time to read them all, but briefly, I don't like intolerance, but you don't see me holding a picket sign. Mostly, I tolerate intolerant people. I don't like it, but I tolerate it. As long as you don't hurt anyone, you can say what you want. I may think you're being an asshole for saying something derogatory, but it's freedom of speech, it's America.

If someone is doing something that will cause inury to someone else, I am intolerant of that behavior, and talk that would lead to that action.

Generally, I think every person should tolerate everyone else, and show some respect. I won't tolerate intolerance.
Very often it seems that the tolerant have the same approach to dealing with other groups as what they attribute to the intolerant.
__________________
2007 BMW 335i E92, Montego Blue on Cream Beige, MT, ZSP, ZPP, CA, PDC, CWP and Style 188 for winter

offTopic - politics - ChoppedPhoto
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:09 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST