BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

European Auto Source

06-24-2008, 10:36 PM   #23
Neurorad
Major

Drives: 330xi 6MT Blk/Blk SP

Quote:
Originally Posted by consolidated View Post
a life well lived. rest in peace George.
I don't know about 'well-lived', if he had to go through rehab. But as a quasi-intellectual, he certainly made you think (if you can tolerate the few toilet jokes thrown in).

He had a knack for ridiculing anything mainstream, things everyone thinks of as 'normal' and 'acceptable'.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 10:44 PM   #24
Mr.Metak2you
Brigadier General

Drives: LEXUS LS(DailyDriver)
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwr'

Garage List
this breaking news? Didn't he die on Sunday?
      06-24-2008, 10:56 PM   #25
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post
I don't know about 'well-lived', if he had to go through rehab. But as a quasi-intellectual, he certainly made you think (if you can tolerate the few toilet jokes thrown in).

He had a knack for ridiculing anything mainstream, things everyone thinks of as 'normal' and 'acceptable'.
exactly, if every joke has a nugget of truth, his humor flicked the lights on while keeping you laughing.

Concerning rehab, I won't pretend to know and understand him as a individual so I can't comment on rehab but then he didn't try to sell himself as a model human being. The man's humor raged against hypocrisy, we can only all hope to be happily flawed, but aware.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 10:31 AM   #26
Negotiator
Lieutenant
Ukraine

Drives: 07 GTI

The rules are Bill Maher's.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 11:42 AM   #27
scottwww
Brigadier General
United_States

Drives: 07 BMW 335i Cpe, 05 Mazda RX8

Send a message via MSN to scottwww
Quote:
Crap, mod deleted my Carlin post!

I found a bit he did railing against religion, and I guess KL2DC found it too offensive.

That's a first for me - deleted post!

Carlin's last book was pretty entertaining - When Will Jesus Bring the Pork Chops?
I would like to have seen that post. Perhaps it should have stayed up so that it could serve are an example of why George Carlin was despised by many.

offTopic - politics - ChoppedPhoto
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 11:48 AM   #28
dr335is
Brigadier General

Drives: GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottwww View Post
I would like to have seen that post. Perhaps it should have stayed up so that it could serve are an example of why George Carlin was despised by many.
but liked by many more...who appreciate the Freedom of Speach we pride ourselves on...

Sounds familiar???
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 11:55 AM   #29
scottwww
Brigadier General
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr325i View Post
but liked by many more...who appreciate the Freedom of Speach we pride ourselves on...

Sounds familiar???
You assume that I don't appreciate Freedom of Speech. You assume too much.

Carlin was able to exercise his freedom of speech all he wanted, but there are consequences to his speech. He was despised by many. Was he a good representative for your thoughts?

Maybe you could name some people whom you despise that if they died it would be a good riddance. Then we will all have a better concept of who you are.

Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 12:03 PM   #30
dr335is
Brigadier General

Drives: GTI

Quote:
You assume that I don't appreciate Freedom of Speech. You assume too much.

Carlin was able to exercise his freedom of speech all he wanted, but there are consequences to his speech. He was despised by many. Was he a good representative for your thoughts?

Maybe you could name some people whom you despise that if they died it would be a good riddance. Then we will all have a better concept of who you are.
I know (almost) nothing about Carlin, I knew who he was, although, I was raised abroad...
I don't love him, I don't hate him. I know what he stood for, and how he "offended" you religious freaks...

Three people I hate would be -- Bush, Chaney, Rowe. I guess, now you can put me in the category with about 98% of the World's population...
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 12:15 PM   #31
Neurorad
Major

Quote:
George Carlin insults religion:

http://www.rense.com/general69/obj.htm
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 12:35 PM   #32
scottwww
Brigadier General
United_States

Quote:
George Carlin insults religion:

http://www.rense.com/general69/obj.htm
Is that all? Seems to me I have heard him in much more vulgar and abusive form. Based on his words, we will not have to wonder if we'll be seeing him again some day... but maybe some of you will.

Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 12:42 PM   #33
Negotiator
Lieutenant
Ukraine

Drives: 07 GTI

Yes, yes, heaven - hell, Santa Jesus, etc...
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 12:57 PM   #34
Neurorad
Major

Quote:
I don't wish death on anybody.

"Their enemies are not man. They are intolerance, fanaticism, dictatorship, cupidity, hatred, and discrimination which lie within the heart of man." -Thich Nhat Hanh

Don't hate the person.

Ideas I personally disdain:

1. Intolerance
2. Dishonesty
3. Greed
4. Corruption
5. Ignorance

Many, many people hold these ideas, and it infuriates me when people openly praise them.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 01:44 PM   #35
!Xoible
Banned
United_States

Drives: ....

Garage List
2008 M3  [3.50]
2007 335i  [4.50]
2008 528i  [4.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by e90im View Post
Who the fuck are you?
that's what im trying to figure out on bimmerpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironjw View Post
His name is Nabil ... I believe
thank you
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 01:47 PM   #36
scottwww
Brigadier General
United_States

Quote:
Ideas I personally disdain:

1. Intolerance
Do you disdain intollerance? Or those whom you call intollerant? Does this make you intollerant?

Left-Wing Intolerance
"I think intolerance is a little mild," Jewish author Harry Stein said to the panel he moderated Monday. "What about 'the viciousness of the left?' It is amazing how furious people on the left get when you call them on this," said Mr. Stein, a former liberal who now sides with conservatives.

Intolerant liberal professors news
LIberals Prove Themselves Intolerant (Again)
Limbaugh Shows How Intolerant 'Liberals' Wage War on Christianity
Liberalism and Intolerance

Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 04:39 PM   #37
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States

Drives: E90 325i Arctic

I don't know if he wrote his own material or not, but there was some sharp witt there somewhere.

I laughed all the time, actually liked to see him when possible, and I consider myself religious.

If he could demonstrate that he wrote his own material, and could think like that on his feet, I would have penciled him in for president, right after Dennis Miller. It was the "take no shit from idiots" mentality that appealed to me.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 04:58 PM   #38
scottwww
Brigadier General
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
I don't know if he wrote his own material or not, but there was some sharp witt there somewhere.

I laughed all the time, actually liked to see him when possible, and I consider myself religious.
Sharp wit does not equate to wisdom or intelligence. He is funniest when you are stoned or drunk.

I liked him when I was a teenager. Haven't liked him since. I do not consider myself religious, but I have never felt the need to argue the point. Many who attack faith and religion generally don't have any idea there could be a difference.

Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 05:04 PM   #39
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States

Drives: E90 325i Arctic

I had just the opposite experience. When I was younger and always (takes the fifth) I didn't think he was funny. As I got older (not necessarily wiser) and didn't (takes the fifth and pours it in a glass) I started to look past teh jokes and hear some wisdom. I particularly liked a bit I heard from him a fe wmonths back about germophobe moms and what he went thru swimming in the Hudson as a kid. Test that immune system, make it stronger but introducing intruders and warding them off. He took it to extremes, but some of us appluaded teh witt and wisdom behind it.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 07:04 PM   #40
jhv
Lieutenant General
No_Country

Drives: Every Day

i wish i could have seen him perform
      06-26-2008, 10:12 AM   #41
Neurorad
Major

Quote:
Do you disdain intollerance? Or those whom you call intollerant? Does this make you intollerant?

Left-Wing Intolerance
"I think intolerance is a little mild," Jewish author Harry Stein said to the panel he moderated Monday. "What about 'the viciousness of the left?' It is amazing how furious people on the left get when you call them on this," said Mr. Stein, a former liberal who now sides with conservatives.

Intolerant liberal professors news
LIberals Prove Themselves Intolerant (Again)
Limbaugh Shows How Intolerant 'Liberals' Wage War on Christianity
Liberalism and Intolerance
I don't have time to read them all, but briefly, I don't like intolerance, but you don't see me holding a picket sign. Mostly, I tolerate intolerant people. I don't like it, but I tolerate it. As long as you don't hurt anyone, you can say what you want. I may think you're being an asshole for saying something derogatory, but it's freedom of speech, it's America.

If someone is doing something that will cause inury to someone else, I am intolerant of that behavior, and talk that would lead to that action.

Generally, I think every person should tolerate everyone else, and show some respect. I won't tolerate intolerance.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2008, 10:50 AM   #42
scottwww
Brigadier General
United_States

Quote:
I don't have time to read them all, but briefly, I don't like intolerance, but you don't see me holding a picket sign. Mostly, I tolerate intolerant people. I don't like it, but I tolerate it. As long as you don't hurt anyone, you can say what you want. I may think you're being an asshole for saying something derogatory, but it's freedom of speech, it's America.

If someone is doing something that will cause inury to someone else, I am intolerant of that behavior, and talk that would lead to that action.

Generally, I think every person should tolerate everyone else, and show some respect. I won't tolerate intolerance.
Very often it seems that the tolerant have the same approach to dealing with other groups as what they attribute to the intolerant.

Appreciate 0