BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-23-2008, 09:51 AM   #1
TMNT
Captain
 
Drives: 330ci ZHP
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: VA

Posts: 875
iTrader: (0)

Sen. McCain offers $300 million prize for new auto battery

Finally a GREAT idea from McCain:

Quote:
In the quest for alternatives to oil, our government has thrown around enough money subsidizing special interests and excusing failure," said excerpts from McCain's prepared text. "From now on, we will encourage heroic efforts in engineering, and we will reward the greatest success."
http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5j...qLkwwD91FQ6L81
TMNT is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-23-2008, 10:19 AM   #2
TurboFan
Ski bum
 
TurboFan's Avatar
 
Drives: sideways
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Knee deep in the pow

Posts: 6,207
iTrader: (8)

I'm all for gov't investment in R&D. Regan spent a boatload, seemed useless then, but it delivered the tech boom and so much of the technology we now use everyday.
__________________

1999 e46 328i Ti Silver / Black[retired]
2007 e90 335xi Jet Black / Black[retired]
2011 e70 X5 35d Vermillion Red / Cinnamon
2011 e92 M3 LeMans / Fox Red extended
TurboFan is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-23-2008, 11:36 AM   #3
Neurorad
Major
 
Neurorad's Avatar
 
Drives: 330xi 6MT Blk/Blk SP
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Location, Location

Posts: 1,211
iTrader: (0)

Why not $250 million? or $350 million?

Oh, 300 million U.S. citizens.

Seems like $300 million thrown in the toilet, as there is already a tremendous incentive. The company that invents an 'automobile battery that far surpasses existing technology' would make billions.

I'm curious as to the definition of 'far surpasses' is. Twice as good? Ten times?

Seems to me like hot air from a politician. I wonder which of his staffers came up with this ploy.

I know I'm an idiot, but what do more efficient batteries have to do with reducing energy consumption? The energy still has to come from somewhere to move the auto forward.
Neurorad is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-23-2008, 12:17 PM   #4
dr335is
Brigadier General
 
Drives: GTI
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Dallas, TX

Posts: 4,973
iTrader: (4)

Where is he going to get that money?

Anyway, I am all for recognizing/awarding the effort toward the alternative energy source... I would stimulate those oil hungry bastards with the tax break incentives for investing/taking a lead/producing the infrastructure for the alternative energy vehicle -- like Hydrogen for example. We have the BMW, Honda and probably others ready to mass produce these vehicles and the whole country has 5 pumps to refill!

How about give huge tax break to the leader in infrastructure building, then the second guy still gets it, but less, and so on...

Make the bastards get out of their oil filled lives and compete to help us and help the environment.

EDIT: Whoever had a chance to watch last night's show on electric (100%) Porsches and electric racing cars that easily reach >120 mph, the pick up is still there...
dr335is is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-23-2008, 12:32 PM   #5
Bobby_Light
Major
 
Bobby_Light's Avatar
 
Drives: E36 M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: SoCal

Posts: 1,353
iTrader: (14)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr325i View Post
Where is he going to get that money?
Have the Federal Reserve and good ole Bernanke fire up those printing presses. For some reason, these candidates act like we don't have a $9 trillion + debt. Wake up!

Tesla Motors has an electric roadster with supercar performance (0-60 in less than 4 seconds). Zero emissions. Zero oil needed. It costs around 100k I believe, but its a good start. A charge lasts around 220 miles.

"The Tesla Roadster’s specs illustrate what it does (0 to 60 mph in under 4 seconds) — as well as what it doesn’t (zero emissions, zero motor oil). With one moving part in the motor, no clutch pedal, and two gears, it’s not only a joy to drive, but to own as well. There is no motor oil to change; no filters, belts, or spark plugs to replace; no oxygen sensors to mistrust before an emissions test."

http://www.teslamotors.com/performance/perf_specs.php

Very promising if you ask me.
Bobby_Light is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-23-2008, 02:19 PM   #6
dr335is
Brigadier General
 
Drives: GTI
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Dallas, TX

Posts: 4,973
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_Light View Post
Have the Federal Reserve and good ole Bernanke fire up those printing presses. For some reason, these candidates act like we don't have a $9 trillion + debt. Wake up!

Tesla Motors has an electric roadster with supercar performance (0-60 in less than 4 seconds). Zero emissions. Zero oil needed. It costs around 100k I believe, but its a good start. A charge lasts around 220 miles.

"The Tesla Roadsterís specs illustrate what it does (0 to 60 mph in under 4 seconds) ó as well as what it doesnít (zero emissions, zero motor oil). With one moving part in the motor, no clutch pedal, and two gears, itís not only a joy to drive, but to own as well. There is no motor oil to change; no filters, belts, or spark plugs to replace; no oxygen sensors to mistrust before an emissions test."

http://www.teslamotors.com/performance/perf_specs.php

Very promising if you ask me.
Tesla, New Honda Honda, 7-series Hydrogen, ...give incentives, they will build. Give incentives to Exxon, Chevron...they will invest into infrastructure... Just by doing it, the gas prices will stabilize...and possibly start falling...
India's middle class is growing and they plan to add millions of GASOLINE cars... WHy not -- if the most advanced country is whining so much for more oil instead of looking the other way...

McCain = short term "solution"
Obama = long term approach

I'd take the second one that would make my kid's future better...
dr335is is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-23-2008, 04:33 PM   #7
Saintor
Colonel
 
Saintor's Avatar
 
Drives: E90
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: MTL, Canada

Posts: 2,371
iTrader: (1)

Fabulous idea... but not new. This is how transatlantic flights were precipitated... Charles Lindberg and associates won 10000$ of 1927.
Saintor is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-23-2008, 05:46 PM   #8
scottwww
Brigadier General
 
scottwww's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 BMW 335i Cpe, 05 Mazda RX8
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: USA

Posts: 4,759
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via MSN to scottwww
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr325i View Post
Tesla, New Honda Honda, 7-series Hydrogen, ...give incentives, they will build. Give incentives to Exxon, Chevron...they will invest into infrastructure... Just by doing it, the gas prices will stabilize...and possibly start falling...
India's middle class is growing and they plan to add millions of GASOLINE cars... WHy not -- if the most advanced country is whining so much for more oil instead of looking the other way...

McCain = short term "solution"
Obama = long term approach

I'd take the second one that would make my kid's future better...
This year, will you be going out on a limb to show that you are committed to change and buy yourself a hybrid or electric or something green vehicle? Then sell your BMW. Otherwise, it is all just words.
__________________
2007 BMW 335i E92, Montego Blue on Cream Beige, MT, ZSP, ZPP, CA, PDC, CWP and Style 188 for winter

offTopic - politics - ChoppedPhoto
scottwww is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-23-2008, 06:56 PM   #9
Saintor
Colonel
 
Saintor's Avatar
 
Drives: E90
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: MTL, Canada

Posts: 2,371
iTrader: (1)

If it happens, it would be like transistors changed our lifes compared to old lamps.
Saintor is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-23-2008, 07:01 PM   #10
Robertbog
Lieutenant
 
Robertbog's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Dallas

Posts: 526
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr325i View Post
I'd take the second one that would make my kid's future better...
Your kids will not be able to prosper in socialism. You are ruining any chance they have at a future by signing over for another securities and a socialist sympathizer.

The way yalls generation is still forcing us to think is just stupid. We arent going to be incompetent if you dont predict it already. Dont screw up the baton and never pass it to us or lock us out of it for "our well-being". Dumbest logic ever.
Robertbog is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-23-2008, 09:22 PM   #11
dr335is
Brigadier General
 
Drives: GTI
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Dallas, TX

Posts: 4,973
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottwww View Post
This year, will you be going out on a limb to show that you are committed to change and buy yourself a hybrid or electric or something green vehicle? Then sell your BMW. Otherwise, it is all just words.
The hybrid that meets my work car plan requirement has 3 mpg better fuel efficiency than 25 mpg in the city I get with my car... So, what would be the purpose of doing that???

On the other hand, give me no gasoline car, clean car, affordable car...I'll switch...
dr335is is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-23-2008, 09:28 PM   #12
dr335is
Brigadier General
 
Drives: GTI
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Dallas, TX

Posts: 4,973
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertbog View Post
Your kids will not be able to prosper in socialism. You are ruining any chance they have at a future by signing over for another securities and a socialist sympathizer.

The way yalls generation is still forcing us to think is just stupid. We arent going to be incompetent if you dont predict it already. Dont screw up the baton and never pass it to us or lock us out of it for "our well-being". Dumbest logic ever.
First of all, you, and many people on these boards do not know what socialism means...
Second, I never mentioned word socialism in my post
And third -- we're the only developed country with shameful medical and retirement systems/plans. Ah, and education system...

Yes, I'd continue paying taxes as I am now and have $1T invested in MY healthcare and education then MY tax invested in some illegal invasion with no end in sight...

$1T = 4M new homes (at avg price of $250k)
$1T = 10M heart surgeries (@ 100k apiece)
$1T = 7M Harvard graduates at full scolarships...

$1T is wasted instead...
dr335is is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-23-2008, 10:49 PM   #13
Solonng
Captain
 
Drives: Monacco Blue 335i coupe
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Florida

Posts: 829
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr325i View Post
First of all, you, and many people on these boards do not know what socialism means...
Second, I never mentioned word socialism in my post
And third -- we're the only developed country with shameful medical and retirement systems/plans. Ah, and education system...

Yes, I'd continue paying taxes as I am now and have $1T invested in MY healthcare and education then MY tax invested in some illegal invasion with no end in sight...

$1T = 4M new homes (at avg price of $250k)
$1T = 10M heart surgeries (@ 100k apiece)
$1T = 7M Harvard graduates at full scolarships...

$1T is wasted instead...

can you define socialism for us incompetent people. PLEASE!!! omg, my neighbor is going to get me an M6 to make it fair..i'm so happy!
Solonng is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-24-2008, 05:00 AM   #14
Negotiator
Lieutenant
 
Negotiator's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 GTI
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Fairfax, VA

Posts: 539
iTrader: (0)

I have, you can search for it.
Negotiator is offline   Ukraine
0
Reply With Quote
      06-24-2008, 06:49 AM   #15
dr335is
Brigadier General
 
Drives: GTI
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Dallas, TX

Posts: 4,973
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negotiator View Post
I have, you can search for it.
you need to guide him to search.
He can't do anything on his own...
dr335is is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-24-2008, 08:29 AM   #16
scottwww
Brigadier General
 
scottwww's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 BMW 335i Cpe, 05 Mazda RX8
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: USA

Posts: 4,759
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via MSN to scottwww
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr325i View Post
The hybrid that meets my work car plan requirement has 3 mpg better fuel efficiency than 25 mpg in the city I get with my car... So, what would be the purpose of doing that???

On the other hand, give me no gasoline car, clean car, affordable car...I'll switch...
Your language speaks volumes: "give me". Nobody should give you anything. Get it for yourself. You are the one who is trying to force it upon people. Do it for yourself, lazy. Otherwise you are a hypocrite. For any excuse you have about it not meeting your "work car plan" is a hollow argument because you assume you know what is best for everyone else. Maybe everybody else's "work car plan" means that they can't use the hybrid but you and your type are forcing it upon them. Isn't that called rape in another context?
__________________
2007 BMW 335i E92, Montego Blue on Cream Beige, MT, ZSP, ZPP, CA, PDC, CWP and Style 188 for winter

offTopic - politics - ChoppedPhoto
scottwww is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-24-2008, 08:31 AM   #17
scottwww
Brigadier General
 
scottwww's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 BMW 335i Cpe, 05 Mazda RX8
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: USA

Posts: 4,759
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via MSN to scottwww
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solonng View Post
can you define socialism for us incompetent people. PLEASE!!! omg, my neighbor is going to get me an M6 to make it fair..i'm so happy!
Socialism wouldn't give anyone an M6. Nobody except the socialist party elites would be able to buy an M6.
__________________
2007 BMW 335i E92, Montego Blue on Cream Beige, MT, ZSP, ZPP, CA, PDC, CWP and Style 188 for winter

offTopic - politics - ChoppedPhoto
scottwww is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-24-2008, 08:57 AM   #18
dr335is
Brigadier General
 
Drives: GTI
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Dallas, TX

Posts: 4,973
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottwww View Post
Your language speaks volumes: "give me". Nobody should give you anything. Get it for yourself. You are the one who is trying to force it upon people. Do it for yourself, lazy. Otherwise you are a hypocrite. For any excuse you have about it not meeting your "work car plan" is a hollow argument because you assume you know what is best for everyone else. Maybe everybody else's "work car plan" means that they can't use the hybrid but you and your type are forcing it upon them. Isn't that called rape in another context?
you keep proving how incompetent your brain is to compile simple information...
Or...you are just pretending...

There are many quantities that justify the "car plan" definition...but what do you know...

And gor "give me" expression, we don't need another robot on this board...
dr335is is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-24-2008, 09:10 AM   #19
ideliver
Major
 
ideliver's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 E60 M5 & 08 Infiniti QX56
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: At the gas station

Posts: 1,232
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 MB S430 SOLD  [0.00]
2003 E46 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr325i View Post
Where is he going to get that money?

FY2008 US receipts...2.6 trillion...
__________________
Cars I've owned '76 Chevelle 350 RIP '82 Monte Carlo 350 RIP '82 Mustang 302 RIP '88 Honda CRX RIP '88 Olds Toronado sold '94 Toyota Tercel sold '99 Acura TL sold 2002 Porsche 911 sold 2003 E46 M3 Blk/gr 2006 MB S430 sold Current: 2008 Infiniti QX56 & 2008 E60 M5

ideliver is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-24-2008, 01:12 PM   #20
scottwww
Brigadier General
 
scottwww's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 BMW 335i Cpe, 05 Mazda RX8
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: USA

Posts: 4,759
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via MSN to scottwww
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr325i View Post
you keep proving how incompetent your brain is to compile simple information...
Or...you are just pretending...

There are many quantities that justify the "car plan" definition...but what do you know...

And gor "give me" expression, we don't need another robot on this board...
Your reply is largely incomprehensible.
__________________
2007 BMW 335i E92, Montego Blue on Cream Beige, MT, ZSP, ZPP, CA, PDC, CWP and Style 188 for winter

offTopic - politics - ChoppedPhoto
scottwww is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-24-2008, 01:16 PM   #21
ganeil
Colonel
 
ganeil's Avatar
 
Drives: 328i Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Georgia

Posts: 2,050
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottwww View Post
Your reply is largely incomprehensible.
Cut him some slack, he wasn't raised here.
__________________
_____________

1974 2002tii
1978 320i
2007 328i
ganeil is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-24-2008, 01:59 PM   #22
dr335is
Brigadier General
 
Drives: GTI
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Dallas, TX

Posts: 4,973
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottwww View Post
Your reply is largely incomprehensible.
Exactly what my point was...
Other than you and the war profitter -- the rest of the board understood it...

Can you carry this kind of communicationin any other language but English? I bet not -- so STFU! I can in at least 2 other languages...

Edit: "GOR" = "FOR" above...maybe that will help you understand...
dr335is is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:49 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST