BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-20-2008, 01:21 PM   #1
sayemthree
Brigadier General
 
sayemthree's Avatar
 
Drives: bmw
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: usa

Posts: 4,844
iTrader: (0)

M3 vs. The Fakers

I love this quote from Cand D from the m3 vs. GTR vs P TUrbo, not that I think they are calling the GTR and turbo fakers. its halarious.....

"the M3 allows the driver to use the car as an instrument. Not many cars can play the road - the car world has more fakers than a middle-school band concert."



sayemthree is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-20-2008, 01:48 PM   #2
White08M3
Captain
 
White08M3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 Coupe
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Long Island,NY/ Miami Beach

Posts: 789
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to White08M3
ha thats awesome
__________________


E92 ///M3/Alpine White/6MT/Tech/VRS Boot Lid/UUC SSK/H&R Sport Drop/Hamann lip/ Remus Race Exhaust...
White08M3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-20-2008, 03:09 PM   #3
icemang17
Captain
 
icemang17's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 DCT
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Stockton CA

Posts: 644
iTrader: (0)

Its funny how people get caught up in the numbers game when it comes to cars "performance".... HP-torque-top speed-acceleration times-etc.... but the reality of sports cars is its more about feel than all out performance...since all out performance is rarely used...

For example I have a stock 20 year old Porsche 928...a "grand touring" Porsche in theory... If you look at its performance numbers and compare them to any new Porsche..pretty much all of the new ones are "better".... My old 928 is heavier, with less power, less gears & far worse "numbers"..... BUT when I get out on the track I can easily pass Boxsters, Caymans, Carrera S & occasionally 911 twin turbos.....WHY.... THE DRIVER...not that I'm some great driver...I just have a car thats easy to drive fast...with great "feel"...
__________________
Brian
2008 E92 M3, MR, DCT, extended BB leather, loaded!
1988 Porsche 928S4, Guards red/Champagne leather
1989 Porsche 928S4 track beast!!!
icemang17 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-20-2008, 04:06 PM   #4
sayemthree
Brigadier General
 
sayemthree's Avatar
 
Drives: bmw
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: usa

Posts: 4,844
iTrader: (0)

similiarly I remember tracking my first M-car - it was amazing how it was so easy to place the car exactly where you wanted it at the apex etc.
sayemthree is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-21-2008, 04:37 PM   #5
Hammer
Lieutenant
 
Hammer's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Germany, Cologne

Posts: 421
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemang17 View Post
Its funny how people get caught up in the numbers game when it comes to cars "performance".... HP-torque-top speed-acceleration times-etc.... but the reality of sports cars is its more about feel than all out performance...since all out performance is rarely used...

For example I have a stock 20 year old Porsche 928...a "grand touring" Porsche in theory... If you look at its performance numbers and compare them to any new Porsche..pretty much all of the new ones are "better".... My old 928 is heavier, with less power, less gears & far worse "numbers"..... BUT when I get out on the track I can easily pass Boxsters, Caymans, Carrera S & occasionally 911 twin turbos.....WHY.... THE DRIVER...not that I'm some great driver...I just have a car thats easy to drive fast...with great "feel"...
i doubt that you pass 987, 997, 996 with a 928 ...
928 is a great car, but not as good as you draw this picture...

e.g. the 3.4 boxsterS is winning every competition with the 928 and as far as i can tell it doenst feel "difficult" to drive near the limit ( i m just a amateur, but i drove this car enaugh now to assess that i think).

back to topic *hrhr* :

m3 for heartbreaker
Hammer is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      06-21-2008, 08:55 PM   #6
sayemthree
Brigadier General
 
sayemthree's Avatar
 
Drives: bmw
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: usa

Posts: 4,844
iTrader: (0)

he did say THE DRIVER.
sayemthree is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-22-2008, 02:45 AM   #7
BlackJetE90
Colonel
 
Drives: E90
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: e90

Posts: 2,219
iTrader: (0)

That is a good quote.

M3 is still the king of the segment by far.
BlackJetE90 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-24-2008, 10:03 PM   #8
sayemthree
Brigadier General
 
sayemthree's Avatar
 
Drives: bmw
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: usa

Posts: 4,844
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJetE90 View Post
That is a good quote.

M3 is still the king of the segment by far.
long live the king!!!

sayemthree is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-25-2008, 10:42 AM   #9
icemang17
Captain
 
icemang17's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 DCT
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Stockton CA

Posts: 644
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
i doubt that you pass 987, 997, 996 with a 928 ...
928 is a great car, but not as good as you draw this picture...

e.g. the 3.4 boxsterS is winning every competition with the 928 and as far as i can tell it doenst feel "difficult" to drive near the limit ( i m just a amateur, but i drove this car enaugh now to assess that i think).

back to topic *hrhr* :

m3 for heartbreaker
The one "upgrade" my 928 has is 18" wheels and tires that came off a 2006 997 235 front and 265 rear....it completely transformed the car....a car the size and weight of a 928 needs bigger tires and they fit quite easily....with minor fender rolling and custom wheels you can run 275 in front and 315 in rear easy....custom race 928's can run 335's all the way around....

I am still learning as a driver, but the 928 is perfectly balanced and does what you want it too without any serious vices....which makes it easy to drive fast....ample power at low or high rpms....stable handling and powerful brakes (12" 4 piston brembos all the way around).... I also was surprised the 1st time I went to a DE and was able to pass all of the far newer P-cars that were there....including a 996 turbo S cab (but that kids wasn't a very good driver)

I have friends with track setup 928's that win thier class in SCCA, PCA, POC on a regular basis...often beating brand new 997 GT3 RSR's...sometimes the custom GT3 twin turbos.... Running 2:16 at Road America, 1:30.8 and Laguna Seca and 1:39 at Infineon.... I have no doubts this 928 could run under 7:30 at the ring too.... Heres some spec of the car

http://www.928intl.com/race/index.htm

But now its 500+whp and 2600lbs in race trim...
Attached Images
 
__________________
Brian
2008 E92 M3, MR, DCT, extended BB leather, loaded!
1988 Porsche 928S4, Guards red/Champagne leather
1989 Porsche 928S4 track beast!!!
icemang17 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-25-2008, 11:01 AM   #10
footie
Major General
 
footie's Avatar
 
Drives: ????????????
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: BMW M3 will get a V6TT

Posts: 7,507
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
From memory the 928 had a steering rear axle and it's cornering ability was well ahead of the time. What model of 928 have you, I have tried both the 928S and the GTS, the latter was pretty quick and not that far behind some of the others.

A great Porsche as well as an all-time great in my opinion.
footie is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      06-25-2008, 11:21 AM   #11
icemang17
Captain
 
icemang17's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 DCT
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Stockton CA

Posts: 644
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
From memory the 928 had a steering rear axle and it's cornering ability was well ahead of the time. What model of 928 have you, I have tried both the 928S and the GTS, the latter was pretty quick and not that far behind some of the others.

A great Porsche as well as an all-time great in my opinion.
I have an 1988 928 S4

The key to the 928's balance is the front engine with torque tube and rear transmission....& all 928's have what is known as the Weissach axle..which is a passive rear wheel steering by toeing in the rear axle in cornering to increase stability.... They also have a little bit of anti dive and anti squat build into the suspension too.... good power, big brakes, adjustable coil overs, good weight balance....all equal a car thats easy to drive fast! Its also 5 inches lower than the M3 too & slightly wider too
__________________
Brian
2008 E92 M3, MR, DCT, extended BB leather, loaded!
1988 Porsche 928S4, Guards red/Champagne leather
1989 Porsche 928S4 track beast!!!
icemang17 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-25-2008, 11:34 AM   #12
footie
Major General
 
footie's Avatar
 
Drives: ????????????
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: BMW M3 will get a V6TT

Posts: 7,507
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by icemang17 View Post
I have an 1988 928 S4

The key to the 928's balance is the front engine with torque tube and rear transmission....& all 928's have what is known as the Weissach axle..which is a passive rear wheel steering by toeing in the rear axle in cornering to increase stability.... They also have a little bit of anti dive and anti squat build into the suspension too.... good power, big brakes, adjustable coil overs, good weight balance....all equal a car thats easy to drive fast! Its also 5 inches lower than the M3 too & slightly wider too
Great car, I personally prefer front engined Porsche to any other though of all the modern ones I perfer either the Boxster or Cayman too the 997.

The toe in is minor but the affect is quite noticeable. As I said it's handling was ahead of the time and sadly so where it's looks, back then not to many people liked it but now with age it's a really good looking car.

P.S.
I can't remember what the weight balance was like, do you happen to know?
footie is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      07-04-2008, 07:52 PM   #13
sayemthree
Brigadier General
 
sayemthree's Avatar
 
Drives: bmw
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: usa

Posts: 4,844
iTrader: (0)

i really liked the 944 turbo - never owned one but my friend let me track his once - awesome car.
sayemthree is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-05-2008, 09:36 AM   #14
icemang17
Captain
 
icemang17's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 DCT
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Stockton CA

Posts: 644
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayemthree View Post
i really liked the 944 turbo - never owned one but my friend let me track his once - awesome car.
Similar feel to the 928....but in a "smaller" package.... For its day the 928 was a very large car...not really by todays standards..... but it is fairly wide and low, which helps on the track!

I'm debating if I want to sell it and buy a 5 speed for dedicated track duty....I dunno....
__________________
Brian
2008 E92 M3, MR, DCT, extended BB leather, loaded!
1988 Porsche 928S4, Guards red/Champagne leather
1989 Porsche 928S4 track beast!!!
icemang17 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-06-2008, 02:26 AM   #15
sayemthree
Brigadier General
 
sayemthree's Avatar
 
Drives: bmw
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: usa

Posts: 4,844
iTrader: (0)

back on topic - i think the 944 TUrbo GTS was the real thing and the 928 for the fakers???
sayemthree is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:42 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST