BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-16-2009, 03:56 PM   #45
True Faith
New Member
0
Rep
25
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: WDC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayemthree View Post
$30 for the rings.


what are the rings? you mean spacer?
No, just centering rings. The X6 wheel has a slightly larger hub bore than the E90 (74.1 mm v. 72.56). The wheels on BMWs are hub-centric, meaning that they use the hub to center the wheels. Using the ring allows the wheels to easily center properly, though the bolts do all the clamping.

They are little pieces of plastic; since they don't carry any load, that's fine.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2009, 05:55 PM   #46
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
United_States
137
Rep
7,647
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe, 2012 ML350
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lake Oswego, OR

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Rings

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayemthree View Post
$30 for the rings.

what are the rings? you mean spacer?
Center bore adapter rings (center hole is different size than 3-series).
__________________

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2015 M4 Coupe - Silverstone/Sakhir/CF
2012 ML350
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2009, 05:57 PM   #47
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
United_States
137
Rep
7,647
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe, 2012 ML350
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lake Oswego, OR

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Space saver spare

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayemthree View Post
I have the old 330i spare from my e46. It looks like it may fit with a 25 or 30 mm spacer. anyone try this?
It might work, but the OD is about 2" smaller. I sold mine because I wasn't comfortable with that much difference.
__________________

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2015 M4 Coupe - Silverstone/Sakhir/CF
2012 ML350
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2009, 10:42 PM   #48
sayemthree
Brigadier General
sayemthree's Avatar
128
Rep
4,845
Posts

 
Drives: bmw
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: usa

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
It might work, but the OD is about 2" smaller. I sold mine because I wasn't comfortable with that much difference.
with the 125/80/17 the diameter is about identical to the stock wheel at 25 inches.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2009, 10:54 PM   #49
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
United_States
137
Rep
7,647
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe, 2012 ML350
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lake Oswego, OR

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayemthree View Post
with the 125/80/17 the diameter is about identical to the stock wheel at 25 inches.
Okay, not quite 2". More precisely, that tire is 24 7/8" OD, which is ~1" smaller than stock front and ~1 1/2" smaller than rear. It would probably work with a big spacer, but that's pretty mickey mouse. I'm going with the 18" X6 wheel and 135/80 tire. which will be just a couple tenths larger than the stock rear.
__________________

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2015 M4 Coupe - Silverstone/Sakhir/CF
2012 ML350
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2009, 09:04 AM   #50
TomTarzian
Private
1
Rep
77
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 M3 6 speed manual
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Indiana

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
It might work, but the OD is about 2" smaller. I sold mine because I wasn't comfortable with that much difference.
If it's on a 17" wheel it probably won't work--won't clear the brakes, etc.

Godspeed,
Tom
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2009, 09:54 AM   #51
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
United_States
137
Rep
7,647
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe, 2012 ML350
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lake Oswego, OR

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomTarzian View Post
If it's on a 17" wheel it probably won't work--won't clear the brakes, etc.

Godspeed,
Tom
It'd probably clear given a thick enough spacer, but might take 20 - 25mm. BTW, the information I have now says the
CTS spare (also use on the Jag XJ) is a 135/70-18, not 80-series. That would put the diameter at 25.44", just slightly smaller than the stock front.
__________________

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2015 M4 Coupe - Silverstone/Sakhir/CF
2012 ML350
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2009, 10:15 AM   #52
bobbyz
Second Lieutenant
4
Rep
299
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Not quite Slammed.
BMW Canada will not tow the car to a tire shop on their bill. They will ONLY assist you at the current location or tow your car to an Authorized BMW dealership that will charge you twice as much money for the tire or repair that you need. I went through this last year with them. I ended up having someone from my office bring me one of my winter wheels and BMW roadside was happy to come and swap the wheel for me on the spot...from there, I took the damaged wheel/tire to the tire shop of my choice. Probably a good idea to keep at least one of your winter or summer wheels (depending on what season it is) at home and another at work...that way its likely that you will not be far from a spare.


Quote:
Originally Posted by slammedm3 View Post
They pick you and your car up and take you to a local dealer or tire shop
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2009, 04:27 PM   #53
True Faith
New Member
0
Rep
25
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: WDC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyz View Post
Not quite Slammed.
BMW Canada will not tow the car to a tire shop on their bill. They will ONLY assist you at the current location or tow your car to an Authorized BMW dealership that will charge you twice as much money for the tire or repair that you need. I went through this last year with them. I ended up having someone from my office bring me one of my winter wheels and BMW roadside was happy to come and swap the wheel for me on the spot...from there, I took the damaged wheel/tire to the tire shop of my choice. Probably a good idea to keep at least one of your winter or summer wheels (depending on what season it is) at home and another at work...that way its likely that you will not be far from a spare.
Or just carry a spare in your trunk.

Based on the bad luck I've heard of people having with BMW Roadside Assistance, I'm going to call AAA if I ever need a tow.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2009, 05:02 PM   #54
sayemthree
Brigadier General
sayemthree's Avatar
128
Rep
4,845
Posts

 
Drives: bmw
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: usa

iTrader: (0)

I need to get a 25 or 30 mm spacer and see if it works.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2009, 08:46 PM   #55
TomTarzian
Private
1
Rep
77
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 M3 6 speed manual
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Indiana

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayemthree View Post
I need to get a 25 or 30 mm spacer and see if it works.
We tried a 17" space saver spare with 15mm spacer on the front of my E90 M3. After looking things over we concluded that between the size of the brakes and the location of the fender lip no 17" wheel with a spacer would work. But, of course, we might have been wrong!

Godspeed,
Tom
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2009, 10:09 PM   #56
sayemthree
Brigadier General
sayemthree's Avatar
128
Rep
4,845
Posts

 
Drives: bmw
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: usa

iTrader: (0)

maybe I will just make a 30 mm block of wood and hold it up to see..... you could be right.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2009, 10:28 PM   #57
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
United_States
137
Rep
7,647
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe, 2012 ML350
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lake Oswego, OR

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
I ordered the X6 wheel--should be here Friday (~$165). I'm going with the Caddy 135/70-18 tire, unless I find something better.
__________________

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2015 M4 Coupe - Silverstone/Sakhir/CF
2012 ML350
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2009, 04:12 PM   #58
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
United_States
137
Rep
7,647
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe, 2012 ML350
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lake Oswego, OR

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
T135/70R-18 spare

Okay, this has been a real saga, but I'm getting close. The X6 wheel and valve stem are in at my dealer. Wheel is 36-11-6-768-861 ($155 list, 147.25 w/ club discount; valve is 36-12-1-116-326 ($5.35 list, $4.81 w/ disc.). I got the centering ring (thanks, Tom T.). Now, the tire.

I was looking to match the OD and rim width better than the 125-section tire reported on previously in this thread (post #37). I came up with 135/70 as a size used on the Cadillac CTS (and maybe some Jag XJs). It's OD calcs to about 25.5" (1/3" smaller than stock front).

I got nowhere with Tire Rack or a local Cadillac dealer. A Cadillac dealer in Virginia said he could sell me the whole "kit" (tire, wheel and jack) for $215, but seems silly to throw away all but the tire. He did give me a lead on the manufacturer/distributor, though, which is Maxxis International USA.

An email to Maxxis though their website was quickly returned. They will only sell to their dealers, but he gave me information on the tire:

Part: # TP10655100
Description: T135/70R18 104M M9500N

I found out that an Oregon tire dealer (Les Schwab) handles Maxxis. Just ordered from them for $85 + shipping, coming out of Texas. Hopefully it will be here in about a week and I will post pics and report how it all works out.

Trying to find compact spare tires is harder than looking for illegal drugs to buy!
__________________

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2015 M4 Coupe - Silverstone/Sakhir/CF
2012 ML350

Last edited by GregW / Oregon; 04-02-2009 at 09:55 PM.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2009, 02:19 PM   #59
SenorFunkyPants
Colonel
SenorFunkyPants's Avatar
United Kingdom
38
Rep
2,621
Posts

 
Drives: E92 DCT M3
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Would the space saver off the E60 not fit?
Its 4x17" ET 18 and comes with a 135 80 17" tyre.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2009, 02:29 PM   #60
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
United_States
137
Rep
7,647
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe, 2012 ML350
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lake Oswego, OR

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants View Post
Would the space saver off the E60 not fit?
Its 4x17" ET 18 and comes with a 135 80 17" tyre.
Not without a good sized spacer. Need 18" to clear the front brakes.
__________________

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2015 M4 Coupe - Silverstone/Sakhir/CF
2012 ML350
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2009, 08:30 PM   #61
TomTarzian
Private
1
Rep
77
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 M3 6 speed manual
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Indiana

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
Okay, this has been a real saga, but I'm getting close. The X6 wheel and valve stem are in at my dealer. Wheel is 36-11-6-768-861 ($155 list, 147.25 w/ club discount; valve is 36-12-1-116-326 ($5.35 list, $4.81 w/ disc.). I got the centering ring (thanks, Tom T.). Now, the tire.

I was looking to match the OD and rim width better than the 125-section tire reported on previously in this thread (post #37). I came up with 135/70 as a size used on the Cadillac CTS (and maybe some Jag XJs). It's OD calcs to about 25.5" (1/3" smaller than stock front).

I got nowhere with Tire Rack or a local Cadillac dealer. A Cadillac dealer in Virginia said he could sell me the whole "kit" (tire, wheel and jack) for $215, but seems silly to throw away all but the tire. He did give me a lead on the manufacturer/distributor, though, which is Maxxis International USA.

An email to Maxxis though their website was quickly returned. They will only sell to their dealers, but he gave me information on the tire:

Part: # TP10655100
Description: T135/70R18 104M M9500N

I found out that an Oregon tire dealer (Les Schwab) handles Maxxis. Just ordered from them for $85 + shipping, coming out of Texas. Hopefully it will be here in about a week and I will post pics and report how it all works out.

Trying to find compact spare tires is harder than looking for illegal drugs to buy!
Absolutely, Greg. I wonder why they're so hard to get? I got mine through my BMW dealer but I think only because it's an Infiniti tire and my dealer also sells Infinitis.

Godspeed and Happy Easter,
Tom
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2009, 10:27 PM   #62
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
United_States
137
Rep
7,647
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe, 2012 ML350
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lake Oswego, OR

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
135/70-18 compact spare

I received the Maxxis 135/70-18 tire today and had it mounted on the X6 spare wheel. Centering ring fits fine, as Tom reported. I'll test fit it in the car Sunday and post photos. OD is just very slightly smaller than OEM front. Looks like a promising solution.
__________________

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2015 M4 Coupe - Silverstone/Sakhir/CF
2012 ML350
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:11 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST