BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

Lux Angel Eyes

06-12-2008, 10:10 AM   #1
scottwww
Brigadier General

Drives: 07 BMW 335i Cpe, 05 Mazda RX8

Send a message via MSN to scottwww
China denies hacking into US computers

1 hour ago
BEIJING (AP) China denied accusations by two U.S. lawmakers that it hacked into congressional computers, saying Thursday that as a developing country it wasn't capable of sophisticated cybercrime.

"Is there any evidence? ... Do we have such advanced technology? Even I don't believe it," Foreign Ministry spokesman Qin Gang told a regularly scheduled news conference.

Rep. Frank Wolf, R-Va., and New Jersey Rep. Chris Smith, a senior Republican on the House Foreign Affairs Committee, said Wednesday that their office computers were hacked into by people working from China. Both lawmakers, longtime critics of China's human rights record, said the compromised computers had information regarding political dissidents.

Wolf said four of his computers were compromised beginning in 2006. Smith said two of the computers at his global human rights subcommittee were attacked in December 2006 and March 2007.

China has a thriving information technology industry and claims to have 221 million Internet users equal to the U.S. as the most in the world.

Qin repeated previous denials that the government sponsors computer attacks overseas and said China also was a victim of cybercrime.

"I'd like to urge some people in the U.S. not to be paranoid," Qin said. "They should do more to contribute to mutual understanding, trust and friendship between the U.S. and China."

The lawmakers' allegations came as U.S. officials were investigating whether Chinese officials had secretly copied the contents of a government laptop during a visit to China last December by U.S. Commerce Secretary Carlos M. Gutierrez and used the information to try to hack into Commerce Department computers.

China has also denied that it was involved in that incident, calling the charges groundless.

The Pentagon acknowledged last month at a closed House Intelligence committee meeting that its vast computer network is scanned or attacked by outsiders more than 300 million times each day.

Wolf said the FBI had told him that computers of other House members and at least one House committee had been accessed by sources working from inside China.

The FBI and the White House have declined to comment. The Bush administration has been increasingly reluctant to publicly discuss or acknowledge cyber attacks, especially ones traced to China.

The allegations are the latest in a series of cybersecurity problems blamed on China. Reports last year cited officials in Germany, the United States and Britain as saying government and military networks had been broken into by hackers backed by the Chinese military.

offTopic - politics - ChoppedPhoto
scottwww is offline   United_States
      06-12-2008, 01:53 PM   #2
Z4INHTOWN
SEMPER FI

Drives: 2.5i sport package

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottwww View Post

1 hour ago
BEIJING (AP) China denied accusations by two U.S. lawmakers that it hacked into congressional computers, saying Thursday that as a developing country it wasn't capable of sophisticated cybercrime.

"Is there any evidence? ... Do we have such advanced technology? Even I don't believe it," Foreign Ministry spokesman Qin Gang told a regularly scheduled news conference.

Rep. Frank Wolf, R-Va., and New Jersey Rep. Chris Smith, a senior Republican on the House Foreign Affairs Committee, said Wednesday that their office computers were hacked into by people working from China. Both lawmakers, longtime critics of China's human rights record, said the compromised computers had information regarding political dissidents.

Wolf said four of his computers were compromised beginning in 2006. Smith said two of the computers at his global human rights subcommittee were attacked in December 2006 and March 2007.

China has a thriving information technology industry and claims to have 221 million Internet users equal to the U.S. as the most in the world.

Qin repeated previous denials that the government sponsors computer attacks overseas and said China also was a victim of cybercrime.

"I'd like to urge some people in the U.S. not to be paranoid," Qin said. "They should do more to contribute to mutual understanding, trust and friendship between the U.S. and China."

The lawmakers' allegations came as U.S. officials were investigating whether Chinese officials had secretly copied the contents of a government laptop during a visit to China last December by U.S. Commerce Secretary Carlos M. Gutierrez and used the information to try to hack into Commerce Department computers.

China has also denied that it was involved in that incident, calling the charges groundless.

The Pentagon acknowledged last month at a closed House Intelligence committee meeting that its vast computer network is scanned or attacked by outsiders more than 300 million times each day.

Wolf said the FBI had told him that computers of other House members and at least one House committee had been accessed by sources working from inside China.

The FBI and the White House have declined to comment. The Bush administration has been increasingly reluctant to publicly discuss or acknowledge cyber attacks, especially ones traced to China.

The allegations are the latest in a series of cybersecurity problems blamed on China. Reports last year cited officials in Germany, the United States and Britain as saying government and military networks had been broken into by hackers backed by the Chinese military.

THE CHINESE ARE SO FULL OF IT, THEY ARE ACTIVELY ENGAGED IN ESPIONAGE AGAINST THE U.S , INDUSTRIAL,MILITARY ESPECIALLY,THEY WILL DO ANYTHING POSSIBLE TO GET THEIR HANDS ON AS MUCH SENSITIVE DATA AS POSSIBLE,AND WHEN THEY GET CAUGHT WITH THEIR HANDS IN THE COOKIE JAR,THEY DENY ANY WRONG DOING. THEY'RE SO FULL OF S**T.

Z4INHTOWN is offline   United_States
      06-12-2008, 03:58 PM   #3
dr335is
Brigadier General

Drives: GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4INHTOWN View Post
THE CHINESE ARE SO FULL OF IT, THEY ARE ACTIVELY ENGAGED IN ESPIONAGE AGAINST THE U.S , INDUSTRIAL,MILITARY ESPECIALLY,THEY WILL DO ANYTHING POSSIBLE TO GET THEIR HANDS ON AS MUCH SENSITIVE DATA AS POSSIBLE,AND WHEN THEY GET CAUGHT WITH THEIR HANDS IN THE COOKIE JAR,THEY DENY ANY WRONG DOING. THEY'RE SO FULL OF S**T.

Ah, poor USA...all we try to do is help others spread democracy...
And when we get caught by the whole world for lying and destroying a vcountry, we...

Get real man...they mind their own business, slowly catching up with us and engaging into dirty things NOT more than we do...
      06-12-2008, 04:11 PM   #4
scottwww
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr325i View Post
Ah, poor USA...all we try to do is help others spread democracy...
And when we get caught by the whole world for lying and destroying a vcountry, we...

Get real man...they mind their own business, slowly catching up with us and engaging into dirty things NOT more than we do...
If the U.S. were hacking into Chinese government networks and were caught, what would be your opinion on that one, doctor?

06-12-2008, 04:24 PM   #5
dr335is
Brigadier General

Quote:
If the U.S. were hacking into Chinese government networks and were caught, what would be your opinion on that one, doctor?
It would be that Chinese finaly find out how to catch us...
On the other hand -- we have been caught spying on them and others many times, and I am sure we're hacking on their and every other Gov't network...
      06-12-2008, 04:36 PM   #6
scottwww
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr325i View Post
It would be that Chinese finaly find out how to catch us...
On the other hand -- we have been caught spying on them and others many times, and I am sure we're hacking on their and every other Gov't network...
You sound much more defensive when it is the Chinese being implicated in hacking, but quick to jump on the idea that the U.S. is hacking every foreign government network.

No bias?

Would you aid and comfort the Chinese hackers, given the opportunity?

06-12-2008, 05:16 PM   #7
dr335is
Brigadier General

Quote:
You sound much more defensive when it is the Chinese being implicated in hacking, but quick to jump on the idea that the U.S. is hacking every foreign government network.

No bias?

Would you aid and comfort the Chinese hackers, given the opportunity?
Actually if you re-read my post, I did agree that Chinese (and Israelis and French, and...) do those things but none to the extend of what we do (and openly show it to the world).

Would I aid them? I know nothing about it, so my aiding would be of no help. On the other hand, I would not (unless forced) aid any unlawful and wrong activity. By forced -- I meant what Bush did to my taxes...
      06-18-2008, 05:39 AM   #8
samwoo2go
Banned

Drives: E92 335i

WTF is the big deal, I am telling you right now, the Chinese will and have tried to hack into our gov and business shit. So will the russians, the mexicans, the germans, the freakin south africans, your neighbors 16 year old kid... and the US will and have hacked into other countries shit many times over. Espinoage is 1 of the main reasons the CIA was created both to defend and enact.
Its good the pentagon is getting hit whatever billion times a day, keeps them on their toes. Keep them sharp.

I mean honestly, what did you expect the chinese to do, say something like "o im sorry, you caught us, we won't do it again, so sorry!" get real man, grow up and think like a realistic adult.

on the other hand, looking at those 2 republican's track record with china, ARE YOU WILLING TO BET YOUR HEAD ON THE LINE THAT THOSE TWO DIDN'T COOK UP THE STORY TO ADVANCE THEIR AGENDA?
      06-18-2008, 11:34 AM   #9
Z4INHTOWN
SEMPER FI

none of these countries you mention above is spending billions every year ,(that we know of) building up their military ,there is a very valid reason to be wary of chinese espionage,if you know anything about history,you will see thar the chinese now ,are going down the same path as the japanese before they started hostile actions against neighboring countries,despite their birth control methods,their population is increasing ,and they need raw materials that they don't have,that's why right now they have people scouring the globe for these materials,in australia it's iron ore,in africa it's oil, in asia it's rubber ,and so on and so on, it may not be anytime soon,but there will be some type of conflict with them,last time it was the japanese,this time the chinese ,they haven't been perfecting shooting down satellites with missiles for nothing, but,only time will tell.

06-18-2008, 01:09 PM   #10
dr335is
Brigadier General

Quote:
none of these countries you mention above is spending billions every year ,(that we know of) building up their military ,there is a very valid reason to be wary of chinese espionage,if you know anything about history,you will see thar the chinese now ,are going down the same path as the japanese before they started hostile actions against neighboring countries,despite their birth control methods,their population is increasing ,and they need raw materials that they don't have,that's why right now they have people scouring the globe for these materials,in australia it's iron ore,in africa it's oil, in asia it's rubber ,and so on and so on, it may not be anytime soon,but there will be some type of conflict with them,last time it was the japanese,this time the chinese ,they haven't been perfecting shooting down satellites with missiles for nothing, but,only time will tell.

WOW, great propaganda material...
Too bad some of us read other side of the story and have spent a lot of time in China...

Also, can you please tell us all (since you seem to have all that info and history knowledge) who's spending the most of $$ building up the military, building up the spy satellites, spy network and who's the only country that the whole world knows uses the spy airplanes flying over the other country's territories???

Also, you're blaming China for perfecting the technology for something we openly did years ago, and failed to complete. Also, what about the "so called" defense shields that cause headaches across Europe?

As for the "scouring the globe for these materials" comment -- do you really believe we're in Iraq for the sake of democracy???

You keep pointing out that Chinese will do what we've already done...

You're so misinformed, I don't know where to start...

And turn that bold crap off...
      06-18-2008, 01:17 PM   #11
Z4INHTOWN
SEMPER FI

no i don't think were in iraq for democracy ,in fact i am here in the middle east right now,been here a while,so i know better.

you have your .02 and i have mine !

06-18-2008, 03:54 PM   #12
tek818
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2012 135i

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
who cares... it's not like we can do anything about it. China would obliterate this country in a war
      06-18-2008, 05:19 PM   #13
dr335is
Brigadier General

Quote:
no i don't think were in iraq for democracy ,in fact i am here in the middle east right now,been here a while,so i know better.

you have your .02 and i have mine !

You know "better" what is going on in a little village in Iraq you're at.
As for the whole picture...your previous statements point the other way...

Stay safe...
      06-18-2008, 05:42 PM   #14
ganeil
Colonel

Drives: 328i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tek818 View Post
who cares... it's not like we can do anything about it. China would obliterate this country in a war
?? ??

1974 2002tii
1978 320i
2007 328i
ganeil is offline   United_States
      06-19-2008, 02:06 PM   #15
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner

Drives: E90 325i Arctic

IF you want to beleive the report recently released by Verizon Business services, the majority of breaches for PII and credit cards come from US and Europe. Only about 8% come from China, 9% fro southeast Asia.

But Verizon isn't called to take care of government espionage cases . . .
UncleWede is offline   United_States