BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

Strasse Wheels

06-11-2008, 05:31 PM   #1
flyinb501
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: G35 Coupe, Dodge Ram

Obama's CNBC Interview

Obama said that the high gas prices are a good thing, but he just wishes they would've increased at a more steady pace.

Why would you vote for a party that is loving the high gas prices? Do they not realize that it's not just the gas, but just about everything else is affected by the high prices at the pump?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 05:35 PM   #2
solefald
Nigerian Prince
Vatican City State
Rep

Drives: '11 F25

Garage List
'11 BMW F25  [0.00]
high gas prices are a good thing in terms of getting a fucking government off their ass and getting them to do something about it.

why would you vote for a party that got us to where we are at right now?
      06-11-2008, 05:41 PM   #3
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
Rep

Drives: ....

Garage List
2008 M3  [3.50]
2007 335i  [4.50]
2008 528i  [4.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by solefald View Post
high gas prices are a good thing in terms of getting a fucking government off their ass and getting them to do something about it.

+1. we're fucked anyway
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 05:50 PM   #4
PLAYON
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2008 BMW 550i

Garage List
2008 BMW 550i  [0.00]
2003 Audi A4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinb501 View Post
Obama said that the high gas prices are a good thing, but he just wishes they would've increased at a more steady pace.

Why would you vote for a party that is loving the high gas prices? Do they not realize that it's not just the gas, but just about everything else is affected by the high prices at the pump?

Give me a direct quote. . .sounds like its taken a bit out of context?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 05:53 PM   #5
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [3.50]
2007 335i  [4.50]
2008 528i  [4.00]
regardless bro, what's other choice? the people who make gas so fucking expensive to start with
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 05:53 PM   #6
scottwww
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07 BMW 335i Cpe, 05 Mazda RX8

Send a message via MSN to scottwww
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLAYON View Post
Will it change your opinion of Obama if he is an advocate of higher prices for gasoline?

offTopic - politics - ChoppedPhoto
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 05:56 PM   #7
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 328xi

Quote:
Why would you want the government to do something about it? That's moronic. You need individuals/corporations to solve it with new technology and invention, not the government.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 05:59 PM   #8
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [3.50]
2007 335i  [4.50]
2008 528i  [4.00]
well when government owns oil companies like ours then u get things mixed up, u dont know what is going on, but u end up paying close to $5 a gallon
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 06:02 PM   #9
PLAYON
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2008 BMW 550i

Garage List
2008 BMW 550i  [0.00]
2003 Audi A4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottwww View Post
Will it change your opinion of Obama if he is an advocate of higher prices for gasoline?
Just asked for a direct quote. . .nothing more. Not looking to turn this into another OBAMA vs. ALL threads, we've got atleast 3-4 of those going right now. Just trying to educate myself now, so I can make an informed decision in November. . .and to answer your question one policy or opinion isnt going to sway my allegiance one way or another, instead it will be a culmination of the the two that will help me come to an informed decision.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 06:06 PM   #10
solefald
Nigerian Prince
Vatican City State
Rep

Garage List
'11 BMW F25  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstClass View Post
Why would you want the government to do something about it? That's moronic. You need individuals/corporations to solve it with new technology and invention, not the government.
you want CORPORATIONS to solve high gas prices??? lol
The only thing corporations care for are profits, not technology and invention.
      06-11-2008, 06:15 PM   #11
Bobby_Light
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: E36 M3

Quote:

We actually need LESS government that is why we are in this mess. Get the government out of the picture as much as possible. The more they intervene, the more they really F things up.

Because Republicans have adopted Democratic policies is why we are in this mess. We spend way too much money, and our national debt has exploded. We are going bankrupt. True Republican values are limited government, a focus on personal responsibility, non interventionist foreign policy, and being fiscally conservative. The Bush regime has certainly strayed from these ideals.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 07:49 PM   #12
flyinb501
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLAYON View Post
Sorry I saw it on tv. Trust me it is not taken out of context, I have it on my DVR. Maybe it has made it on to youtube if you want to look for it. Democrats like the high prices because it forces ppl to use less oil. Unfortunately it has a negative effect on everything because everything we consume has to get to us one way or another which involves using fuel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solefad

Wrong brotha. The last thing we want is for the government to get involved. They manage to f up everything they get there fingers in. We need to leave it up to the free market to come up with solutions. In the mean time we should be using our own oil in order to lower prices. The democrats will never allow us to though.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 08:55 PM   #13
scottwww
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I never have hated this guy, but it is getting closer to that:

Quote:
'O' - AS IN OIL TAX HIKE
SPURS 'LIBERAL' RIP BY MAC WITH VOW TO HIT RICH FIRMS
By CHARLES HURT and CARL CAMPANILE
OFF & RUNNING: Barack Obama arrives in North Carolina yesterday before delivering his tax-hike appeal, largely targeted at energy firms.
OFF & RUNNING: Barack Obama arrives in North Carolina yesterday before delivering his tax-hike appeal, largely targeted at energy firms.
PreviousPauseNext

June 10, 2008 -- Barack Obama launched his campaign as the unified Democratic nominee-in-waiting yesterday by vowing to hit oil companies with a windfall-profits tax if elected - prompting Republican rival John McCain's camp to label the Democrat a tax-and-spend liberal.

"I'll make oil companies like Exxon pay a tax on their windfall profits and we'll use the money to help families pay for their skyrocketing energy costs and other bills," said Obama, while in North Carolina to kick off an 11-state tour that will focus on the nation's economy.

Obama tapped into the national furor over rising gasoline prices, and attacked McCain for wanting to extend President Bush's tax cuts, including corporate tax-rate cuts that benefit Exxon to the tune of $1.2 billion.

"At a time when we're fighting two wars, when millions of Americans can't afford their medical bills or their tuition bills, when we're paying more than $4 a gallon for gas, the man who rails against government spending wants to spend $1.2 billion on a tax break for ExxonMobil," Obama said. "That isn't just irresponsible, it's outrageous."

McCain and other Republicans fired back that Obama is an old-style tax-and-spend liberal, warning his prescription of broad-based tax hikes will kill the already-faltering economy.

Obama "has promised higher income taxes, Social Security taxes, capital-gains taxes, dividend taxes and tax hikes on job-creating businesses," said McCain spokesman Tucker Bounds.

"Barack Obama doesn't understand the American economy, and that's 'change' we just can't afford," he said. McCain, who supports suspending the federal tax on gasoline, also ridiculed Obama for dismissing the idea as not being helpful.

"Talk to somebody who owns a couple of trucks and makes a living with those trucks," McCain said. "Ask them whether they'd like to have some relief - 181/2 cents per gallon for gasoline and 241/2 cents for diesel."

McCain, who twice voted against the Bush tax cuts he now supports, has promised "no new taxes," and wants to cut the corporate tax rate to 25 percent.

Obama wants to allow many of the Bush tax cuts to expire in 2010. He wants to raise income taxes, as well as capital-gains and dividend taxes, on wealthy Americans. And he would raise the corporate tax.

Also yesterday, McCain hit back on Obama's comment that the Arizona Republican is "running for a Bush third term."

"It seems to me he's running for Jimmy Carter's second," McCain said during an interview last night on "NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams." Carter lost his re-election bid to Ronald Reagan.

In other campaign news yesterday, one of Obama's new advisers chosen to help pick a running mate came under fire by Republicans after The Wall Street Journal revealed close ties to the CEO of Countrywide, which is deeply involved in the subprime-mortgage lending fiasco.

Jim Johnson, a longtime Obama supporter, got a favorable - though perfectly legal - loan as a "friend" of the CEO.

McCain also continued a full-court press to win over Hillary Rodham Clinton's financial supporters - particularly Jewish donors hawkish on foreign policy - who might be wary of Obama.

"We're starting fresh," former Mayor Ed Koch told The Post. "I'm going to give Obama and McCain an opportunity to persuade me."

churt@nypost.com

Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 09:53 PM   #14
Solonng
Captain
Rep

Drives: Monacco Blue 335i coupe

dumbass doesn't know that high corporate taxes pass through to the consumers..what a crazy liberal dumbass!
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 10:50 PM   #15
BKsBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: 2006 330xi Titanium Silver

Garage List
2006 330xi  [5.00]
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
I never have hated this guy, but it is getting closer to that:
Oh so I guess you only smear the ones you love????

Instead of accepting the misquotes of others trying listening to the man in his own words on the subject.

[u2b]nF-HsaeJhb0&NR=1[/u2b]
330xi/TiAg/Black/Alum/6sp/ZPP/ZSP/Nav/CA/CW/PDC/Sirius Satellite Radio/OEM Spoiler/Blacklines/19" Axis Hiro Hyper Silver/Toyo Proxes 4 Ultra High Performance all season F 235/35/19 R 265/30/19/10mm spacers F/15mm spacers R/M3 front bumber/M-tech rear bumper
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 10:53 PM   #16
BKsBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: 2006 330xi Titanium Silver

Garage List
2006 330xi  [5.00]
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Mccain says he doesn't know what to do about gas prices...

330xi/TiAg/Black/Alum/6sp/ZPP/ZSP/Nav/CA/CW/PDC/Sirius Satellite Radio/OEM Spoiler/Blacklines/19" Axis Hiro Hyper Silver/Toyo Proxes 4 Ultra High Performance all season F 235/35/19 R 265/30/19/10mm spacers F/15mm spacers R/M3 front bumber/M-tech rear bumper
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 11:50 PM   #17
solefald
Nigerian Prince
Vatican City State
Rep

Garage List
'11 BMW F25  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKsBimmer View Post

Instead of accepting the misquotes of others trying listening to the man in his own words on the subject.
Thank you.

I wish i was a citizen of this country, so i can vote for Obama!
      06-11-2008, 11:55 PM   #18
scottwww
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

He inspired a nation:

Quote:
Energy will be the immediate test of our ability to unite this nation, and it can also be the standard around which we rally. On the battlefield of energy we can win for our nation a new confidence, and we can seize control again of our common destiny.

In little more than two decades we've gone from a position of energy independence to one in which almost half the oil we use comes from foreign countries, at prices that are going through the roof. Our excessive dependence on OPEC has already taken a tremendous toll on our economy and our people. This is the direct cause of the long lines which have made millions of you spend aggravating hours waiting for gasoline. It's a cause of the increased inflation and unemployment that we now face. This intolerable dependence on foreign oil threatens our economic independence and the very security of our nation. The energy crisis is real. It is worldwide. It is a clear and present danger to our nation. These are facts and we simply must face them.

What I have to say to you now about energy is simple and vitally important.

Point one: I am tonight setting a clear goal for the energy policy of the United States. Beginning this moment, this nation will never use more foreign oil than we did in 1977 -- never. From now on, every new addition to our demand for energy will be met from our own production and our own conservation. The generation-long growth in our dependence on foreign oil will be stopped dead in its tracks right now and then reversed as we move through the 1980s, for I am tonight setting the further goal of cutting our dependence on foreign oil by one-half by the end of the next decade -- a saving of over 4-1/2 million barrels of imported oil per day.

Point two: To ensure that we meet these targets, I will use my presidential authority to set import quotas. I'm announcing tonight that for 1979 and 1980, I will forbid the entry into this country of one drop of foreign oil more than these goals allow. These quotas will ensure a reduction in imports even below the ambitious levels we set at the recent Tokyo summit.

Point three: To give us energy security, I am asking for the most massive peacetime commitment of funds and resources in our nation's history to develop America's own alternative sources of fuel -- from coal, from oil shale, from plant products for gasohol, from unconventional gas, from the sun.

I propose the creation of an energy security corporation to lead this effort to replace 2-1/2 million barrels of imported oil per day by 1990. The corporation I will issue up to $5 billion in energy bonds, and I especially want them to be in small denominations so that average Americans can invest directly in America's energy security.

Just as a similar synthetic rubber corporation helped us win World War II, so will we mobilize American determination and ability to win the energy war. Moreover, I will soon submit legislation to Congress calling for the creation of this nation's first solar bank, which will help us achieve the crucial goal of 20 percent of our energy coming from solar power by the year 2000.

These efforts will cost money, a lot of money, and that is why Congress must enact the windfall profits tax without delay. It will be money well spent.
Unlike the billions of dollars that we ship to foreign countries to pay for foreign oil, these funds will be paid by Americans to Americans. These funds will go to fight, not to increase, inflation and unemployment.

Point four: I'm asking Congress to mandate, to require as a matter of law, that our nation's utility companies cut their massive use of oil by 50 percent within the next decade and switch to other fuels, especially coal, our most abundant energy source.

Point five: To make absolutely certain that nothing stands in the way of achieving these goals, I will urge Congress to create an energy mobilization board which, like the War Production Board in World War II, will have the responsibility and authority to cut through the red tape, the delays, and the endless roadblocks to completing key energy projects.

We will protect our environment. But when this nation critically needs a refinery or a pipeline, we will build it.

Point six: I'm proposing a bold conservation program to involve every state, county, and city and every average American in our energy battle. This effort will permit you to build conservation into your homes and your lives at a cost you can afford.
It's hard to believe that our next president could actually be to the left of Jimmy Carter.

Appreciate 0
      06-12-2008, 12:46 PM   #19
flyinb501
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKsBimmer View Post
Mccain says he doesn't know what to do about gas prices...

Can you remind what Obama's plan is? Over tax the oil companies? How exactly will that bring the prices down? The only plan Obama has is to further increase gas prices.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2008, 03:15 PM   #20
dr335is
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: Some Mazda junk...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstClass View Post
Exactly, the Gov't should continue where it is now -- madly blowing money for insane things instead of something useful, continue lying to us and continue causing less stable situations in every corner of the world...

A bright future ahead of us...
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2008, 04:27 PM   #21
scottwww
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr325i View Post
Exactly, the Gov't should continue where it is now -- madly blowing money for insane things instead of something useful, continue lying to us and continue causing less stable situations in every corner of the world...

A bright future ahead of us...
I just put together a forum for Obama's World at Obama.dominates.us. Perhaps you could here or there give us a detailed description of the world according to Obama if he were to become president [Imagine: What would the world be like if it was all Obama's way?]. So far there is one topic in the forum dealing with oil.

I intend to have some fun with that forum.

BTW: there is a similar forum called McCain's World at JohnMcCain.dominates.us, but I am not quite sure how I will approach that one. I'll probably contribute to it based mostly upon my interpretation of "An Enduring Peace Built On Freedom". Somehow, I suspect you are more likely to have word to say there than about Obamavision.

Appreciate 0
      06-12-2008, 05:20 PM   #22
dr335is
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: Some Mazda junk...

Quote:
I just put together a forum for Obama's World at Obama.dominates.us. Perhaps you could here or there give us a detailed description of the world according to Obama if he were to become president [Imagine: What would the world be like if it was all Obama's way?]. So far there is one topic in the forum dealing with oil.

I intend to have some fun with that forum.

BTW: there is a similar forum called McCain's World at JohnMcCain.dominates.us, but I am not quite sure how I will approach that one. I'll probably contribute to it based mostly upon my interpretation of "An Enduring Peace Built On Freedom". Somehow, I suspect you are more likely to have word to say there than about Obamavision.
you're a genius...
Dont you guys have anything better to do up there?
Appreciate 0