BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications
 
GetBMWParts
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-04-2008, 12:18 PM   #1
lucid
Major General
 
lucid's Avatar
 
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 8,034
iTrader: (0)

6MT pedals for heel & toe

It is taking me some time to feel comfortable doing heel & toe in my E92 M3. I was pretty comfortable with it in my E46 325. This obviously has to do with many things such as clutch engagement and drivetrain rotational intertia differences between the two cars and so on. But I am also wondering about pedals. Has the spacing between the throttle and the break pedals increased? My foot was semi-jammed in the gap the other day, and fortunately, I was not on the track in a 120 mph braking zone. Does anyone have any recommendations for aftermarket pedals that might reduce the gap a little?
__________________
lucid is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-04-2008, 12:23 PM   #2
!Xoible
Banned
 
Drives: ....
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: .

Posts: 46,037
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 M3  [3.50]
2007 335i  [4.50]
2008 528i  [4.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [4.00]
u have to roll ur foot. u also have to be in a good throttle mode to get the most out of the blip without having to hit the brakes hard to blip. the fucked up part is when i double clutch/heel-toe as i corner and i want 2nd gear. the blip never seems to be enough, this shit kills me. seems i either hit the brakes real hard to enable my foot to bottom the gas pedal to get the right blip (sport or sport plus power setting - obviously easier in sport plus), or the blip is not enough and i feel the clutch has to do some work to achieve a 500-1000 rpm match

oh the other thing is the shifter. the shifter slows down the entire process since it does put some serious resistance going into 2nd gear. it's just hard to get in there compared to other gears. this result in RPM's drop after blipping so clutch still needs to do some work (along with synchros)

im hoping a shorter throw will enable a faster shift.

but then im not the ultimate expert in 6MT.
!Xoible is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-04-2008, 12:31 PM   #3
lucid
Major General
 
lucid's Avatar
 
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 8,034
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mantis View Post
u have to roll ur foot. u also have to be in a good throttle mode to get the most out of the blip without having to hit the brakes hard to blip. the fucked up part is when i double clutch/heel-toe as i corner and i want 2nd gear. the blip never seems to be enough, this shit kills me. seems i either hit the brakes real hard to enable my foot to bottom the gas pedal to get the right blip (sport or sport plus power setting - obviously easier in sport plus), or the blip is not enough and i feel the clutch has to do some work to achieve a 500-1000 rpm match

oh the other thing is the shifter. the shifter slows down the entire process since it does put some serious resistance going into 2nd gear. it's just hard to get in there compared to other gears. this result in RPM's drop after blipping so clutch still needs to do some work (along with synchros)

im hoping a shorter throw will enable a faster shift.

but then im not the ultimate expert in 6MT.
i am beginning to manage the other variables ok. never had a problem with the second gear for instance. but still do not feel good about the stock pedals, so i'd be interested in hearing from someone who has pedals that reduce the gap, and if that makes things better.
__________________
lucid is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-04-2008, 12:35 PM   #4
!Xoible
Banned
 
Drives: ....
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: .

Posts: 46,037
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 M3  [3.50]
2007 335i  [4.50]
2008 528i  [4.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [4.00]
there's a guy who put pedals from ultimatepedals.com and said they're great for him. they're ugly as fuck IMHO, i'd rather kill my clutch and forget toe-heel than put them on personally lol
!Xoible is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-04-2008, 01:10 PM   #5
lucid
Major General
 
lucid's Avatar
 
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 8,034
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mantis View Post
there's a guy who put pedals from ultimatepedals.com and said they're great for him. they're ugly as fuck IMHO, i'd rather kill my clutch and forget toe-heel than put them on personally lol
Thanks for the pointer. Looks like they have 3 different style for the heel and toe extension. Any opinions from users of different styles?

Name:  gas1.jpg
Views: 1602
Size:  30.2 KB
Name:  gas2.jpg
Views: 1578
Size:  23.7 KB
Name:  gas3.jpg
Views: 1591
Size:  27.1 KB

And here is the installed version of the upper left extension style (thanks to member TeeKay).
Name:  gas4.jpg
Views: 1576
Size:  73.3 KB
__________________
lucid is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-04-2008, 01:23 PM   #6
!Xoible
Banned
 
Drives: ....
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: .

Posts: 46,037
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 M3  [3.50]
2007 335i  [4.50]
2008 528i  [4.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [4.00]
definitely not the one extending the bottom, coz pushing the bottom doesnt buy u anything. something on top/or whole side IMHO
!Xoible is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-04-2008, 01:29 PM   #7
lucid
Major General
 
lucid's Avatar
 
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 8,034
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mantis View Post
definitely not the one extending the bottom, coz pushing the bottom doesnt buy u anything. something on top/or whole side IMHO
You can actually use the side of your heel while keeping your foot planted on the brake rather than rolling your foot to blip the throttle since the throttle is easy to depress. I prefer rolling though.
__________________
lucid is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-04-2008, 01:37 PM   #8
!Xoible
Banned
 
Drives: ....
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: .

Posts: 46,037
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 M3  [3.50]
2007 335i  [4.50]
2008 528i  [4.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [4.00]
didnt work for me. i need to adjust my seating i guess or something. how big are ur feet? just curious
!Xoible is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-04-2008, 02:08 PM   #9
lucid
Major General
 
lucid's Avatar
 
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 8,034
iTrader: (0)

10.5
__________________
lucid is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-04-2008, 02:46 PM   #10
!Xoible
Banned
 
Drives: ....
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: .

Posts: 46,037
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 M3  [3.50]
2007 335i  [4.50]
2008 528i  [4.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [4.00]
gotcha. same here. i was just wondering if there's a significant difference
!Xoible is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-05-2008, 10:19 AM   #11
SS32
Major
 
SS32's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 M3
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Raleigh, NC

Posts: 1,431
iTrader: (0)

I hear ya on not getting enough out of the blip. It's only really noticeable downshifting into second, though. I've just started rolling my foot more than I think I should and it works out pretty well.
SS32 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-05-2008, 02:27 PM   #12
lucid
Major General
 
lucid's Avatar
 
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 8,034
iTrader: (0)

I've decided to machine a few different shapes myself and experiment for myself.

Does anyone know how the ultimate pedals mounted exactly? Are they recommending that you simply screw them onto the stock plastic pedals?
__________________
lucid is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-11-2008, 05:26 PM   #13
!Xoible
Banned
 
Drives: ....
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: .

Posts: 46,037
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 M3  [3.50]
2007 335i  [4.50]
2008 528i  [4.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [4.00]
im not sure about ultimate, but for OEM/ACS and others u just screw them on. u gotta drill ur pedals (clutch and brake are pain in the ass to drill)
!Xoible is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-12-2008, 10:19 PM   #14
lucid
Major General
 
lucid's Avatar
 
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 8,034
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mantis View Post
im not sure about ultimate, but for OEM/ACS and others u just screw them on. u gotta drill ur pedals (clutch and brake are pain in the ass to drill)
I have no interest in drilling the clutch or the brake pedals. I will just mount a thin extension plate to the throttle. This is all for function rather than looks. I'll do this either tomorrow or sat.
__________________
lucid is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-13-2008, 01:19 PM   #15
!Xoible
Banned
 
Drives: ....
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: .

Posts: 46,037
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 M3  [3.50]
2007 335i  [4.50]
2008 528i  [4.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [4.00]
please let us know how it goes, also if u are kind enough to post a quick and dirty DIY
!Xoible is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-13-2008, 08:20 PM   #16
lucid
Major General
 
lucid's Avatar
 
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 8,034
iTrader: (0)

I cut and sandblasted a piece of aluminum today. Took me about 15 minutes. I will get proper screws and install it tomorrow. I'll paint it black.

Name:  pedal.jpg
Views: 1373
Size:  52.9 KB
__________________
lucid is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-24-2008, 06:28 PM   #17
monsta
Brigadier General
 
monsta's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bergen County, NJ/Y.O, NY

Posts: 3,591
iTrader: (2)

lucid update please! interested in seeing how it comes out and how it worked out for you...
__________________

'08 E92 M3 6MT | IB | FR | RAC RG63's | VRS Ti Exhaust | Fabspeed HFC & Xpipe
'09 X5 35d SG/SB
'11 X3 28i AW/CN/FW (wife's car
monsta is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-24-2008, 07:37 PM   #18
lucid
Major General
 
lucid's Avatar
 
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 8,034
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsta View Post
lucid update please! interested in seeing how it comes out and how it worked out for you...
The pedal worked marvels until I tried a few emergency stops. I ended up catching the throttle together with the brake pedal. Although that is not a big deal as long as you go for the clutch as well, it's not a great idea. So, I took off about an inch from the profile I posted above. It still works marvels and makes heel and toe much easier. This proves that pedal spacing was the main issue for me. I will run the current setup for another week, and if I am indeed happy with it, I'll post a pic and dimensions for it.
__________________
lucid is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-26-2008, 09:58 AM   #19
BRDHNTR
Ground Pilot
 
BRDHNTR's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 BMW M3
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Waverly, PA

Posts: 549
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2002 M3  [0.00]
2008 e92 M3  [0.00]
Question Ultimate Pedals

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
The pedal worked marvels until I tried a few emergency stops. I ended up catching the throttle together with the brake pedal. Although that is not a big deal as long as you go for the clutch as well, it's not a great idea. So, I took off about an inch from the profile I posted above. It still works marvels and makes heel and toe much easier. This proves that pedal spacing was the main issue for me. I will run the current setup for another week, and if I am indeed happy with it, I'll post a pic and dimensions for it.
Anyone know if this is often the case with aftermarket pedals? Or is this somewhat unique to Lucid's custom fabricated pedals.
__________________
"The laws of physics cannot be repealed, even with DSC." - BMW Owner's Manual

BRDHNTR is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-26-2008, 10:37 AM   #20
!Xoible
Banned
 
Drives: ....
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: .

Posts: 46,037
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 M3  [3.50]
2007 335i  [4.50]
2008 528i  [4.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [4.00]
^^ depends on the pedals bro
!Xoible is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-20-2008, 06:38 PM   #21
CatchM3
Major
 
CatchM3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 F80 M3 Mineral Grey
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Boca Raton

Posts: 1,200
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 E90 M3  [4.50]
so what is the consensus about pedals? Any favorites?
__________________
2015 MG M3 // Blck Ext Merino Leather // Driver Assistance Plus // Exec Package // Lighting Package // M Double Clutch // Adaptive M Suspension // 19" Blck Wheel 437 M Mix Tire // CF interior trim // Navi system // Harman Kardon surround system // Full IND ext cosmetic pckge Gloss Black // BMW CF perform trunk spoiler // 35% window tint // 15mm Macht Schnell // Powder coated Gloss Black Exhaust Tips //
CatchM3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-20-2008, 07:07 PM   #22
BRDHNTR
Ground Pilot
 
BRDHNTR's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 BMW M3
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Waverly, PA

Posts: 549
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2002 M3  [0.00]
2008 e92 M3  [0.00]
I bought the ultimate pedals (gas pedal is the upper extension), and they are great. I can heel toe with any pair of shoes now, and it is much easier to get a big enough blip with the "normal" throttle setting.
__________________
"The laws of physics cannot be repealed, even with DSC." - BMW Owner's Manual

BRDHNTR is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:18 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST