BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board
 
INDustry distribution
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-02-2008, 06:04 PM   #1
ericsmc83
Captain
ericsmc83's Avatar
United_States
28
Rep
981
Posts

 
Drives: 4/08 E92 335i
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Las Vegas, NV

iTrader: (9)

New Toy [WARNING: Hearing Protection Required]

After doing some research, I decided to get the SVSound PB-13 Ultra subwoofer to my home theater setup.

Before I even got the thing out of the box, I could tell it was a monster. After the delivery guy forklifted it to the front door, he nonchalantly quips, "You're neighbors are going to love you!"

I got the Piano Gloss Black finish, and it is absolutely gorgeous. Definitely worth the premium, and it goes well with the other components in my system.

My dad and I spent quite some time this weekend calibrating/positioning the beast. The built-in BASH amp has lots of features and inputs any audiophile would love.

The sound is just something you need to hear in person. It's ruler flat down to about 18Hz, still having noticeable output as low as 10Hz, which comes across as earthquake-like. We watched the Blu-Ray sources of Live Free or Die Hard, Rambo, and 300, and it's an incredible experience. Loud, tight bass, while still maintaining it's musicality. There is a natural gas explosion sequence in the Die Hard film that comes close to inducing the brown note, but I've yet to find it officially!

Luckily the insulation in my house is sufficient enough to withhold most of the sound within the walls without being too loud outside, but bottomline this thing can get loud. Even at levels loud enough to match my mains, it's enough to make things dance across the coffee table and rattle in the kitchen!

If you feel the need for tight, musical, wall-crumbling bass, this sub is for you!



__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 06:07 PM   #2
MontegoblueE92
Captain
MontegoblueE92's Avatar
20
Rep
958
Posts

 
Drives: It Like He Stole It
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: M-Town

iTrader: (0)

Holy shit man. Very nice. 750W? That's ridiculous!
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 06:23 PM   #3
ironjw
Major
ironjw's Avatar
United_States
14
Rep
1,417
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 335i
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: 818

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to ironjw
Wow !!!
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 06:25 PM   #4
TurboFan
Ski bum
TurboFan's Avatar
94
Rep
6,207
Posts

 
Drives: sideways
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Knee deep in the pow

iTrader: (8)

You're going to love it. I have a SVS PB-2 Plus with the 900w amp. Every sub they make is outstanding!! My family has named my HT setup "rumble-vision".
__________________

1999 e46 328i Ti Silver / Black[retired]
2007 e90 335xi Jet Black / Black[retired]
2011 e70 X5 35d Vermillion Red / Cinnamon
2011 e92 M3 LeMans / Fox Red extended
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 06:52 PM   #5
CnoteMD
Commander in Chief
CnoteMD's Avatar
United_States
16
Rep
1,035
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 BMW 535i
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 M5  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
What a small world. I am about to order the same sub (in Rosenut). Did you use the Avia DVD/SPL meter package for calibration, or do you recommend another method?

I remember reading that it weighs 155lbs, did they really use a forklift to get it to your home? This worries me as it will be going in my basement theater.
__________________
2008 BMW 535i Space Gray, Black Leather, Dark Bamboo Trim| Sport Automatic with Paddles | Sport Package
2008 BMW M5 (gone, but not forgotten) Space Gray, Silverstone Merino Leather, Madeira Walnut Wood Trim | 7speed SMG | All options
Mods: Corsa Exhaust | RPI Ram Air Intake | H&R Sport Springs | Rogue Engineering 12mm spacers
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2008, 07:27 AM   #6
FirstClass
Brigadier General
31
Rep
3,199
Posts

 
Drives: 328xi
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CnoteMD View Post
I remember reading that it weighs 155lbs, did they really use a forklift to get it to your home? This worries me as it will be going in my basement theater.
155? Hell you can lift that by yourself if it weren't so big/awkward/boxy. Two people will have no problem if that's the actual weight.

Question: I'm a selective audiophile myself, (read: I can't afford to be an audiophile yet) but I fail to see the purpose of such a large piece of equiptment outside of an actual home theatre. In the pic you posted it looke like it's in your family room. (Not that it isn't still badass)
__________________
328xi Coupe, Montego Blue on Black with Alum, Step, Sport, Premium, CA, PDC, Cold Weather (Damn Pennsylvania winters)
Current Mods: Heavy right foot - Planned Mods: Lightweight right foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2008, 07:40 AM   #7
E86M
First Lieutenant
E86M's Avatar
United_States
4
Rep
393
Posts

 
Drives: E86 Z4 M Coupe
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Houston, TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to E86M
niceeeee......
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2008, 07:58 AM   #8
Brunotheboxer
Brigadier General
Brunotheboxer's Avatar
United_States
79
Rep
3,003
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500.
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boston/Cape Cod

iTrader: (0)

what are you using to power this sub?
__________________


"...I maybe drunk, but you're ugly, and I can sober up..."
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2008, 08:31 AM   #9
MCS
e90 newbie
9
Rep
440
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 330i
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Northern NJ

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I think its self powered.

Nice sub - I'm a sunfire guy myself, but may have reconsidered if I was buying today (bought my sunfire 5 years ago).

Nothing adds to a good theater system like a good subwoofer.
__________________
E90 TiAg 330i ZSP, ZPP, ZCW 6sd Manual, Nav & Satellite (for Stern!), Black leather w/ Poplar
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2008, 10:49 AM   #10
Neurorad
Major
Neurorad's Avatar
18
Rep
1,212
Posts

 
Drives: 330xi 6MT Blk/Blk SP
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Location, Location

iTrader: (0)

I bought the SVS PB10 2 months ago, small room, great sound. Very large cabinet for a 10" woofer. I was surprised by the large size.

I can't imagine the 13". Seriously, why?

I bet your dad didn't realize how large the cabinet would be, when he told you to pick it out.

I guess that's the problem with SVS - online only (unless you're in Canada). Can't see it before you buy it.

That Ultra series gets great reviews.

Next step...dual subs.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2008, 12:00 PM   #11
Dmitriy@AUTOcouture
Major
Dmitriy@AUTOcouture's Avatar
33
Rep
1,134
Posts

 
Drives: carefully
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NYC

iTrader: (3)

What type of setup are you running?

I'm a pretty big HT enthusiast myself, I currently have an all KEF Audio speaker set up and a Velodyne sub. I also have a AudioSource amp connecting to a sub that is under my couch - I highly suggest you get this for your SVSound. The experience is unreal.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2008, 12:14 PM   #12
ericsmc83
Captain
ericsmc83's Avatar
United_States
28
Rep
981
Posts

 
Drives: 4/08 E92 335i
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Las Vegas, NV

iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CnoteMD View Post
What a small world. I am about to order the same sub (in Rosenut). Did you use the Avia DVD/SPL meter package for calibration, or do you recommend another method?

I remember reading that it weighs 155lbs, did they really use a forklift to get it to your home? This worries me as it will be going in my basement theater.
You won't be sorry. I didn't order the Avia package they offered. I have a few test tone CD's I made to test levels over the frequency band. I've heard the Avia disc is an awesome calibration tool, though.

A forklift did seem a bit excessive, but as FirstClass mentioned, it is more the size of the box than the weight. Not to say it's light by any means, but two people should have no issue moving it. Once out of the box and packaging, it's much easier to handle/manuever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstClass View Post
155? Hell you can lift that by yourself if it weren't so big/awkward/boxy. Two people will have no problem if that's the actual weight.

Question: I'm a selective audiophile myself, (read: I can't afford to be an audiophile yet) but I fail to see the purpose of such a large piece of equiptment outside of an actual home theatre. In the pic you posted it looke like it's in your family room. (Not that it isn't still badass)
I did, too, but it really does wonders for sound. I didn't get it to be loud; I got it for the low-end extension. It can reproduce frequencies beyond human hearing that make those explosions/earthquakes more realistic. But the SPL capability is a nice bonus! Honestly, I prefer my setup over most of the local commercial theater setups as far as SQ is concerned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunotheboxer View Post
what are you using to power this sub?
There's a dedicated fused 750W BASH amplifier built into the enclosure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post
I bought the SVS PB10 2 months ago, small room, great sound. Very large cabinet for a 10" woofer. I was surprised by the large size.

I can't imagine the 13". Seriously, why?

I bet your dad didn't realize how large the cabinet would be, when he told you to pick it out.

I guess that's the problem with SVS - online only (unless you're in Canada). Can't see it before you buy it.

That Ultra series gets great reviews.

Next step...dual subs.
Those ported boxes have to be big to sound good. My dad was shocked when he first saw it (actually he hadn't even heard of SVS when I was researching) and said it looked like one of those mini-refrigerators.

Duals would be a great addition, although I would begin to worry about the structural integrity of the house I live in!
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2008, 12:34 PM   #13
sparkyg
Brigadier General
sparkyg's Avatar
Canada
47
Rep
3,493
Posts

 
Drives: EBII 2014 F31 328xi
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Oil Country

iTrader: (5)

I have a Thiel SS2 that has 2 10" subs in a sealed enclosure powered by a 1000 w amp.

Really adds more to the music and turning it on off can be noticeable but it depends on the music and the quality of the recording.

Some mid '80s stuff has not bottom end at all. You'd think it was not working.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2008, 01:43 PM   #14
TurboFan
Ski bum
TurboFan's Avatar
94
Rep
6,207
Posts

 
Drives: sideways
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Knee deep in the pow

iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstClass View Post
...Question: I'm a selective audiophile myself, (read: I can't afford to be an audiophile yet) but I fail to see the purpose of such a large piece of equiptment outside of an actual home theatre. In the pic you posted it looke like it's in your family room. (Not that it isn't still badass)

two things- one, I've put my SVS against a supposedly comparable velodyne sub. The velodyne was at least twice the cost of the SVS, but didn't sound nearly as good as the SVS. The owner of the Velodyne is a member here, and would agree.

Two, the larger sub can be much more sonically faithful, and isn't going to distort. It'll be loafing to produce the desired audio levels in most family/HT room setups, so it's going to be extremely tight with great extension. I would never want to buy a sub that I have to work over to get the audio level I want (read: HTiB and most 5.1 package subs), as I've yet to hear one that sounds good compared to my SVS.
__________________

1999 e46 328i Ti Silver / Black[retired]
2007 e90 335xi Jet Black / Black[retired]
2011 e70 X5 35d Vermillion Red / Cinnamon
2011 e92 M3 LeMans / Fox Red extended
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2008, 03:33 PM   #15
BigDog
Captain
United_States
21
Rep
739
Posts

 
Drives: E90 and E65
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (1)

love SVS's stuff... welcome to the club!
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 08:04 PM   #16
888
I'm takin' the day off.
888's Avatar
South Africa
16
Rep
339
Posts

 
Drives: M
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsmc83 View Post
After doing some research, I decided to get the SVSound PB-13 Ultra subwoofer to my home theater setup.

Before I even got the thing out of the box, I could tell it was a monster. After the delivery guy forklifted it to the front door, he nonchalantly quips, "You're neighbors are going to love you!"

I got the Piano Gloss Black finish, and it is absolutely gorgeous. Definitely worth the premium, and it goes well with the other components in my system.

My dad and I spent quite some time this weekend calibrating/positioning the beast. The built-in BASH amp has lots of features and inputs any audiophile would love.

The sound is just something you need to hear in person. It's ruler flat down to about 18Hz, still having noticeable output as low as 10Hz, which comes across as earthquake-like. We watched the Blu-Ray sources of Live Free or Die Hard, Rambo, and 300, and it's an incredible experience. Loud, tight bass, while still maintaining it's musicality. There is a natural gas explosion sequence in the Die Hard film that comes close to inducing the brown note, but I've yet to find it officially!

Luckily the insulation in my house is sufficient enough to withhold most of the sound within the walls without being too loud outside, but bottomline this thing can get loud. Even at levels loud enough to match my mains, it's enough to make things dance across the coffee table and rattle in the kitchen!

If you feel the need for tight, musical, wall-crumbling bass, this sub is for you!
thanks for the link my order will be placed soon (once I take delivery of my new home with a dedicated AV room).
__________________
If I were to agree with you we would both be wrong.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 08:23 PM   #17
Denon
New Member
United_States
1
Rep
27
Posts

 
Drives: 335 soon..
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Santa Monica

iTrader: (0)

Dam that looks insane, post pics of the rest of the set up.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 08:43 PM   #18
Revlis
Now With 33% MORE Sarcasm Free!
Revlis's Avatar
United_States
60
Rep
3,446
Posts

 
Drives: 335is
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Seattle Area, WA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontegoblueE92 View Post
Holy shit man. Very nice. 750W? That's ridiculous!
No...No It's them red walls... Those are ridiculous!


Kidding kidding, I've had red/rust walls myself in a game room or two.

Sub looks... Intimidating...
__________________

'13 TiAg over Coral, 335is | DCT | Prem | L7 | Nav/Idrive | CA | 19" "-------"

A BMW is Just a Car, it doesn't make you smart, handsome, cool, or wealthy. Get over it.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2008, 03:06 AM   #19
calvino
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
72
Rep
1,926
Posts

 
Drives: had e90, 330i mystic blue
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Weston,Florida

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2006 e90 330i  [0.00]
Send a message via Skype™ to calvino
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revlis View Post
No...No It's them red walls... Those are ridiculous!


Kidding kidding, I've had red/rust walls myself in a game room or two.

me too, I have the same color in my theater room
__________________
E90 Mytic Blue 330i 07-20-2006. 05-17-2011
Doesn't the idea of making nature against the law seem to you a bit . . . unnatural? Support NORML
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:30 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST