BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
Steve Thomas BMW
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-01-2008, 01:56 AM   #1
M3Lion
Private
 
Drives: Not Available...yet
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Irvine, CA

Posts: 84
iTrader: (0)

Question Breaking It In

I don't have my M3...yet. But, I was just wondering for you current beast (M3) owners, did you REALLY HAVE to keep it under 4000 rpm for the first 5000 miles (or however breaking it in goes). If you do what are pros if you don't what are cons. Help a fellow future M3 owner out.
M3Lion is offline   Syria
0
Reply With Quote
      06-01-2008, 02:23 AM   #2
adamr
Major
 
adamr's Avatar
 
Drives: 997 GT3 RS
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Johannesburg

Posts: 1,032
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
keep it below 5500 RPM, thats what im doing ... and not over 170km/h ... and its frustrating as hell ... im not gonna just floor the car, will follow the instructions as per BMW ... i know some that would just floor the car ...

PROS and CONS regarding you folllowing a proper break in procedure as per BMW instructions:

PROS: if the book says dont kill the car before 2000km, cause if you do, something might break, and would ///M GmBH not know better? it is their product after all

CONS: if you dont give a sh1t about break in and floor the car to redline when you get it, you could be getting a faster and more reliable car in the long term ... this is a urban legend at the moment to me, how true it is .... i cant vouch for that
__________________


2007 Porsche 997 GT3 RS
|PCM with NAV and GSM|Roll Cage|PCCB|Xenons|Sports Chrono Plus|PASM|Leather Pack|Silver Seat-belts|
adamr is offline   South Africa
0
Reply With Quote
      06-01-2008, 02:29 AM   #3
Manny212
Captain
 
Manny212's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NY

Posts: 639
iTrader: (3)

Send a message via AIM to Manny212
just try and stay under 5500 rpm for the first 1200 miles..after that i'm going to drive it like i stole. I have a heavy foot and have already hit 6k or so rpms during break in. It's not going to kill the car just don't redline during break in
__________________

2008 E92///M3 - | Alpine White/Fox Red Extended Novillo | Technology | Premium | Cold |
Mods: | 19" Avante Garde | Macht Schnell Filter | RPi Scoops | Rogue SSK | MS Spacers | ACM Test Pipes | ESS Tune | Remus Race | LUX V4 Angels | KW V3 |
Manny212 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-01-2008, 07:49 AM   #4
dawgdog
Colonel
 
dawgdog's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Porsche GT3RS
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Seattle, Wa.

Posts: 2,116
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamr View Post
keep it below 5500 RPM, thats what im doing ... and not over 170km/h ... and its frustrating as hell ... im not gonna just floor the car, will follow the instructions as per BMW ... i know some that would just floor the car ...

PROS and CONS regarding you folllowing a proper break in procedure as per BMW instructions:

PROS: if the book says dont kill the car before 2000km, cause if you do, something might break, and would ///M GmBH not know better? it is their product after all

CONS: if you dont give a sh1t about break in and floor the car to redline when you get it, you could be getting a faster and more reliable car in the long term ... this is a urban legend at the moment to me, how true it is .... i cant vouch for that
My SA who is an enthusiast and owns a Euro spec. e36 M3 advised getting to 5500-6000 regularly until 1200 miles and then go balls out. He said one of the main issues with the M5 engine is eating oil, and the ones that appear to not do this had hard break-ins.
__________________
AW on Fox Red Extended, Alum trim, ZPP, ZTP, DCT, 19" wheels, Heated front seats, HD radio, Sat radio, I-pod & usb, Premium sound, AP racing BBK, 18 Volk Racing TE 37s, Akrapovic Evolution exhaust, AST suspension
dawgdog is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-01-2008, 10:21 AM   #5
Gearhead999s
Major General
 
Gearhead999s's Avatar
 
Drives: E93 335is(wifes)E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto

Posts: 6,677
iTrader: (0)

Once again a thread on this

But I do something to add to thread.I was with one of my former race engine builders last week and the conservation turned to break in as we were in my M3 and he noticed the break in restriction sticker.He builds a lot of big horsepower v8's for specialty manufactures in Europe and crate engines for gearheads in NA.His feeling is that if you followed the BMW recommended schedule,you would have a slow engine that used oil and had lots of internal blowbye.
When he fires up a new engine on the dyno,its warmed up fully at 2500 rpm with about 150 ft/lbs of torque loaded for about 10 minutes,then 3500 rpm at 200 ft/lbs for 10 minutes and this continues for about 40 minutes total and then they do 6 full throttle & rpm pulls to confirm the power output.They have monitored the leak down rates at the different stages of the startup and has confirmed to me that the rings are usually seated the 1st 15 minutes from startup.Bearings do not need breakin as there should never be any contact between the surfaces once the oil pressure is up.
Just doing my best to help debunk that the standard breakin procedures are wrong for a very high performance engine if you want maximum performance.
Gearhead999s is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-01-2008, 10:26 AM   #6
J08M3
Major General
 
J08M3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NEW YORK

Posts: 6,012
iTrader: (8)

don't forget the break in period also is for the transmission and differential too.
__________________
J08M3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-01-2008, 10:30 AM   #7
Gearhead999s
Major General
 
Gearhead999s's Avatar
 
Drives: E93 335is(wifes)E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto

Posts: 6,677
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by J08M3 View Post
don't forget the break in period also is for the transmission and differential too.
A new ring & pinion gearset is usually broken in the 1st 100kms and the transmission is usually the same.The only thing that needs some use to work better is the Transmission syncros.

Last edited by Gearhead999s; 06-01-2008 at 12:02 PM.
Gearhead999s is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-01-2008, 11:50 AM   #8
valeram
Major
 
Drives: E92 M3 DCT
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Dublin, OH

Posts: 1,336
iTrader: (0)

Stagger your RPM and below 5500. Don't stay at one RPM for a long time (long driving at one RPM).
valeram is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-01-2008, 02:06 PM   #9
Hammer
Lieutenant
 
Hammer's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Germany, Cologne

Posts: 421
iTrader: (0)

i hate and love this threads...

i m also still unconsidered how to break my car in?

some people tell to drive as hell when recieved the car, some to be patient to the car.

i m going to drive it very slow at the first 100miles and increase it till 6000rpm @ 1200miles with some intermezzo´s (as traffic requieres).
Hammer is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      06-01-2008, 03:45 PM   #10
M3Lion
Private
 
Drives: Not Available...yet
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Irvine, CA

Posts: 84
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s View Post
Once again a thread on this

But I do something to add to thread.I was with one of my former race engine builders last week and the conservation turned to break in as we were in my M3 and he noticed the break in restriction sticker.He builds a lot of big horsepower v8's for specialty manufactures in Europe and crate engines for gearheads in NA.His feeling is that if you followed the BMW recommended schedule,you would have a slow engine that used oil and had lots of internal blowbye.
When he fires up a new engine on the dyno,its warmed up fully at 2500 rpm with about 150 ft/lbs of torque loaded for about 10 minutes,then 3500 rpm at 200 ft/lbs for 10 minutes and this continues for about 40 minutes total and then they do 6 full throttle & rpm pulls to confirm the power output.They have monitored the leak down rates at the different stages of the startup and has confirmed to me that the rings are usually seated the 1st 15 minutes from startup.Bearings do not need breakin as there should never be any contact between the surfaces once the oil pressure is up.
Just doing my best to help debunk that the standard breakin procedures are wrong for a very high performance engine if you want maximum performance.
So what i am to understand is that don't break it in?
M3Lion is offline   Syria
0
Reply With Quote
      06-01-2008, 04:25 PM   #11
ihyln
Banned
 
Drives: M3post sucks
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: M3post sucks

Posts: 3,385
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
2002 530i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to ihyln
No offense but if BMW says "take it easy for the first 1200miles" then I'm going to listen to them.
ihyln is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-01-2008, 04:37 PM   #12
wgf77
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2012 Audi A5
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Chicago

Posts: 159
iTrader: (0)

Just had the 1200 sevice on Wednesday and I must admit that I didn't follow the break in procedure completely. I accidently redlined it once (it happened so fast). I also broke 100 a few times. But it is perfect after the service and must say that everything will be fine as long as you are not abusing the car.
wgf77 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-01-2008, 04:43 PM   #13
gbelton
TheArchitect
 
gbelton's Avatar
 
Drives: The Ultimate Driving Machine
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Northeast

Posts: 220
iTrader: (0)

Drive it like it's yours. It is yours right? Nah, I stayed under 5500 for 600+ miles but I did open it up after 1000.
__________________

2008 Alpine White, Portland Brown M5 (SMG)
2008 Alpine White, Fox Red M3 (6MT)
2008 Sapphire Black, Black 750Li
gbelton is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-01-2008, 04:48 PM   #14
wgf77
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2012 Audi A5
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Chicago

Posts: 159
iTrader: (0)

Believe me, I was upset after the redline happened. But 100 mph is not that big of a deal. With that said, after the 1200 mile service I have never experienced such a beast on the highway. I loved my 2006 carrera S but this takes the cake. I am so happy with my purchase...had a S5 on order but gave away my spot.
wgf77 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-01-2008, 05:38 PM   #15
Gearhead999s
Major General
 
Gearhead999s's Avatar
 
Drives: E93 335is(wifes)E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto

Posts: 6,677
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Lion View Post
So what i am to understand is that don't break it in?
I do break it in,but not by the manual.The 2000 km recommended breakin is usually about 5-10% of the life of the cars time in my possesion as I usually average a new vehicle a year.The biggest thing for the 1st bit is to very anal about being oil temps being fully warmed up before large rpm & loads.I have been breaking in my cars like this for over 30 years with no issues except for 1.That was a 454 Suburban that my wife drove for the 1st 1000 kms of its life and was driven slowly and used a litre of oil every 750 kms.I got a new dropin under warranty and broke it in as normal and it used a liter every 5000 kms after the new engine.
Gearhead999s is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-01-2008, 08:36 PM   #16
inmotion
Lieutenant
 
inmotion's Avatar
 
Drives: where do I start?
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Newport Coast, CA

Posts: 528
iTrader: (0)

just follow procedure. Vary RPM and stay under 5k. 1200 really isn't that long - have fun once you get there.
__________________
E60 M5 Silverstone, Balloon White Gallardo Spider, Rosso Corsa F430, Audi CG Q7 Sportline, IS R8 before and DG R8 now, Basalt Black Carrera GT, SG M3 DCT, Orange GT3RS, IS CLK63 Black Series

On order: 2010 R8 V10
inmotion is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-01-2008, 08:49 PM   #17
Manny212
Captain
 
Manny212's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NY

Posts: 639
iTrader: (3)

Send a message via AIM to Manny212
I went on a 200+ cruise today and hit 100 about twice but stayed under 5500. I did burn a bit of oil though according to the oil meter. Before I went it was at the top arrow. it is now half way between the top arrow and the midway line. Was the first time i really drove it for that long so i hope it won't happen again
__________________

2008 E92///M3 - | Alpine White/Fox Red Extended Novillo | Technology | Premium | Cold |
Mods: | 19" Avante Garde | Macht Schnell Filter | RPi Scoops | Rogue SSK | MS Spacers | ACM Test Pipes | ESS Tune | Remus Race | LUX V4 Angels | KW V3 |
Manny212 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-02-2008, 07:41 PM   #18
M3Lion
Private
 
Drives: Not Available...yet
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Irvine, CA

Posts: 84
iTrader: (0)

thanks, you guys are awesome.
M3Lion is offline   Syria
0
Reply With Quote
      06-18-2008, 07:50 AM   #19
Ross08E93M3
Private
 
Ross08E93M3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E93 M3--AW/Fox Red
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Jersey Shore

Posts: 52
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to Ross08E93M3
Can someone with some mileage 4,000+ who followed the break in procedure, and one who didn't follow the break in post here and let us know what's going on? Burning a lot of oil? No oil?
__________________
08 E93 M3 6MT--Alpine White / Fox Red
08 VW Touareg V8--Black Uni / Sienna
Ross08E93M3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-18-2008, 08:03 AM   #20
Gearhead999s
Major General
 
Gearhead999s's Avatar
 
Drives: E93 335is(wifes)E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto

Posts: 6,677
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross08E93M3 View Post
Can someone with some mileage 4,000+ who followed the break in procedure, and one who didn't follow the break in post here and let us know what's going on? Burning a lot of oil? No oil?
I have about 6200 kms(3850m) on mine and the oil level is indicating 1/4 down from full on the gauge and the 2000 was done at 1800 kms.I broke mine in as I always done,which is a quick breakin to get the rings properly seated as quickly as you can.That included 1 trackday using a lot of RPM.
Gearhead999s is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-18-2008, 10:32 AM   #21
rick berry
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2012 M3 DCT CP/ 2014 750li
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: marshall texas

Posts: 213
iTrader: (0)

I followed the break in schedule fairly well till the 1200 mile service. Only got to 7th or so a couple of times passing cars in D mode. Since 1200, the engine has seen redline many times. Just for thought: Porsche also has a similar break in schedule. I was told that the motor was actually broken in by 300-400 miles. It's the owners that need to be broken in and used to the cars, so they want you to limit rpms to limit wrecks by new owners.
rick berry is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-18-2008, 10:34 AM   #22
!Xoible
Banned
 
Drives: ....
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: .

Posts: 46,037
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 M3  [3.50]
2007 335i  [4.50]
2008 528i  [4.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [4.00]
i broke in nicely for first 1200, after that my SA told me i can drive like i stole it, and i did. now it's burning oil like a motherfucker
!Xoible is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
breaking in, new m3, rpm

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:58 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST