BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

Strasse Wheels

05-30-2008, 05:42 PM   #1
scottwww
Brigadier General

Drives: 07 BMW 335i Cpe, 05 Mazda RX8

Send a message via MSN to scottwww
the government running all of your companies...

This is no surprise. But it is interesting to see how awkward their words can be when exposed for what they are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxine Waters
link
One California Democrat, saying out loud what many on her side of the aisle have been thinking for some time, has threatened to seize the oil industry.

"This liberal will be all about socializing, uh, uh . . . would be about . . . basically taking over and the government running all of your companies," Rep. Maxine Waters told oil executives on May 22 during yet another show-trial congressional hearing.

offTopic - politics - ChoppedPhoto
scottwww is offline   United_States
      05-30-2008, 08:07 PM   #2
caudalM3

Drives: 2008 AW M3 6MT

Absolutly rediculous that a sitting Senator thinks its ok to make a statement like that.
caudalM3 is offline   United_States
      05-30-2008, 08:18 PM   #3
ganeil
Colonel

Drives: 328i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by caudalM3 View Post
Absolutly rediculous that a sitting Senator thinks its ok to make a statement like that.
That is not even the most ridiculous statement to come out of Maxine Waters. BTW, she is in the House, not the Senate.

1974 2002tii
1978 320i
2007 328i
ganeil is offline   United_States
      05-31-2008, 08:59 PM   #4
Solonng
Captain

Drives: Monacco Blue 335i coupe

Nationalism is power hunger tempered by self-deception.
George Orwell
      05-31-2008, 09:13 PM   #5
flyinb501
Lieutenant

Drives: G35 Coupe, Dodge Ram

Unbelievable... Democrats: Let's not allow drilling and refining our own oil, keep the supplies low, raise the gas taxes, and blame the high gas prices on the oil companies. Makes a lot of sense...
      05-31-2008, 09:29 PM   #6
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
and I thought the companies were running our government...it's so confusing.
      09-20-2009, 02:52 PM   #7
delmarco
Private

Drives: BMW 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by consolidated View Post
and I thought the companies were running our government...it's so confusing.
Pretty much EVERYONE is corupt, greedy and cut throat in this country. It is what America was founded on and it is what we are all about.

My 2 cents is if my taxes via the government has help bailed out these companies because they've mismanaged their greed to the point that they ended up robbing themselves and their millions of employees and shareholders, then I want the government running ALL these companies.

At least I know that my money is worth something, somewhere when it disappears from my paycheck!

By the way Oil and Energy is so mismanaged in this country that it has become a dilemna where we need it to be cheap and readily available to keep the cost of production and living down, yet the more cheap it is, the more we use it and the more we pollute the planet (shortening the amount of liveable time humans can have on earth), and the LESS of it we have (thereby driving up costs anyway...).

The true problem with oil and energy is that is shows how we as Republicans and Democrats and Humans in general are all nothing more that stupid, greedy Apes with no common-ground or sense for fortifying the progression of the race as a whole.
(Actually even Apes aren't that stupid when it comes to taking care of themselves and their communities)

We can feed ourselves today, but fail to see how we can feed ourselves and our children tommorrow because we are all busy bickering on what we need now regardless of consequence!

This was discussed in my grad school thesis and my soon to be published book;
The Myth Of Progress; Deconstructing The American Dream (Oxford Press)
      09-20-2009, 08:55 PM   #8
ideliver
Major

Drives: 08 E60 M5 & 08 Infiniti QX56

Garage List
2006 MB S430 SOLD  [0.00]
2003 E46 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by caudalM3 View Post
she's a congresswoman.....regardless, she is a real piece of work...http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1253...Tabs%3Darticle

read the comments page...funny stuff
Cars I've owned '76 Chevelle 350 RIP '82 Monte Carlo 350 RIP '82 Mustang 302 RIP '88 Honda CRX RIP '88 Olds Toronado sold '94 Toyota Tercel sold '99 Acura TL sold 2002 Porsche 911 sold 2003 E46 M3 Blk/gr 2006 MB S430 sold Current: 2008 Infiniti QX56 & 2008 E60 M5

09-21-2009, 11:14 AM   #9
MyMorningBJ
Banned

Drives: e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinb501 View Post
Unbelievable... Democrats: Let's not allow drilling and refining our own oil, keep the supplies low, raise the gas taxes, and blame the high gas prices on the oil companies. Makes a lot of sense...

As with anything, there are two sides to the argument. If I may:

Even if all oil fields in our continental territory were opened to drilling, companies like Chevron must evaluate the required capital and operational costs to bring these facilities online. In the short-term, it's likely cheaper to continue to import oil from places like Saudi as their reserves are more abundant and cheaper to access. One could infer from past decisions not to drill in already available areas that opening more off shore drilling would likely have little effect on domestic crude extraction in the coming decade.

The Gulf of Mexico is already scattered with thousands of platforms, some of which are no longer in use, but the argument that we don't allow domestic production is not entirely accurate. The simple fact of the matter is our demand for petrol has grown faster than we can pump it out of the ground and we are forced to import it from elsewhere.

There is also truth to the matter than Chevron, OPEC and co would prefer that supplies were limited so they do not face the situation they had in the early 90s where gas was a dollar a gallon and nobody was making any profit. It is also my personal belief that high crude prices will drive innovation in fields of alternative energy, and whether you subscribe to the global warming ideology or not, our complete dependence on foreign nations for oil is an issue of national security. It is in our best interest to diversify the production of energy as an event like WWIII may completely cut us off from foreign supplies and bring the economy and capabilities of this country to an immediate halt.

Finally on the issue of gas taxes, It is assumption that nobody wants to pay more taxes, but truth be told we currently pay among the lowest gas prices of non-OPEC countries, and the vast majority of this federal and state income is fed right back into infrastructure projects. I'm not sure what the roads look like in your state, I would consider them 'fair' in my area, but I've driven through parts of the country where roads are in dire need of repair. This is further evident when you are driving a sports coupe slammed on coilovers and you blow out a rim on a post-winter pothole. We could move to privatize many of the roadways, but in the end you will still end up paying a gasoline tax in addition to tolls, so there's always going to be someone not happy with the current situation.

A nationalized energy company, similar to Russia or VZLA would undoubtedly mean cheaper gas prices for us, the citizens; however, I am steadfastly opposed to the notion that the government can be as efficient dollar for dollar in terms of production as a company that competes in the private sector... not to mention the amount of waste involved in any govt project is astounding, government employees, historically, are probably lazier than UAW workers and enjoy much more job security. In addition, as an engineer, it would be ignorant to overlook the fact that the revenues produced by these oil giants drive the economics behind a HUGE percentage of engineering firms across the nation.

As with anything, too much government involvement will eventually result in more negative than positive, but this argument can easily be flipped in the opposite direction. I think the comment discussed in this thread is an example of the POV from the far left, and although you may disagree with this clearly not-thought-out idealistic message, I'm sure a little digging would find you some rather extreme and unproductive points of view from the far right as well.

Discuss.