BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-31-2008, 02:46 PM   #23
composed
Enlisted Member
 
composed's Avatar
 
Drives: '14 M6 GC CP
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 44
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by J08M3 View Post
I don't see how you could assume that since it isn't stated anywhere by BMW that without EDC you are in Normal not Sport mode. You are always in sport mode without it and you just don't have an option to choose Normal
Sorry, I should have explained a step further! My point is that I can see how people get confused about the settings and what they do. Aside from the fact that you mention (that BMW doesn't provide some of the detailed specific info which is of course true), the point that should be made is that EDC is dynamic and constantly changing the compression and rebound settings of the dampers. A non-EDC car has dampers that have fixed compression and rebound settings. This is why you would buy EDC, and accordingly one really shouldn't be trying to compare the performance of an EDC car with that of one without - they are two different animals in a sense.

There are not 3 distinct compression/rebound settings for the dampers because there are 3 "modes" in EDC, which I would guess some people might think as well (I think there are other car systems out there like that).

As I understand it :
1) Normal mode means that EDC is doing it's "regular" thing of automatically and constantly adjusting the dampers according to your driving style, cornering, braking, road surface, etc. - this of course means that there is no fixed setting to compare with a non-EDC car.
2) Sport mode is limiting them always to a certain specified range of travel which results in a stiffer ride because they are not changing as much - this would relate most closely to a non-EDC car, though I guess only BMW engineers and aftermarket suspension tuners would really know how much (BMW help us here!).
3) Comfort mode (which I agree may be more of a marketing thing) supposedly allows the dampers to have a lot of freedom in their travel, but calls them to attention at certain times (which to me sounds pretty much like the Normal mode) but I'm assuming is a little more lenient.

just my .02...
composed is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-31-2008, 03:13 PM   #24
J08M3
Major General
 
J08M3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NEW YORK

Posts: 6,012
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by composed View Post
As I understand it :
1) Normal mode means that EDC is doing it's "regular" thing of automatically and constantly adjusting the dampers according to your driving style, cornering, braking, road surface, etc. - this of course means that there is no fixed setting to compare with a non-EDC car.
2) Sport mode is limiting them always to a certain specified range of travel which results in a stiffer ride because they are not changing as much - this would relate most closely to a non-EDC car, though I guess only BMW engineers and aftermarket suspension tuners would really know how much (BMW help us here!).
3) Comfort mode (which I agree may be more of a marketing thing) supposedly allows the dampers to have a lot of freedom in their travel, but calls them to attention at certain times (which to me sounds pretty much like the Normal mode) but I'm assuming is a little more lenient.

just my .02...
This is basically what I was trying to say... I think we both are just explaining it a bit differently. What I was trying to say is exactly how you explained it in point 2 of your description. What is "Sport Mode" is how the non-EDC car is normally. I think BMW makes it a bit confusing with their term "Sport" and "Normal" This terminology makes it easy for someone to assume if you don't have the option "sport" than you must be in "normal" but in fact what you don't have is the option "normal" it's just a play on words by BMW to make it sound more appealing. Hopefully I'm making sense with that explanation.
__________________
J08M3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-31-2008, 03:43 PM   #25
composed
Enlisted Member
 
composed's Avatar
 
Drives: '14 M6 GC CP
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 44
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by J08M3 View Post
This is basically what I was trying to say... I think we both are just explaining it a bit differently. What I was trying to say is exactly how you explained it in point 2 of your description. What is "Sport Mode" is how the non-EDC car is normally. I think BMW makes it a bit confusing with their term "Sport" and "Normal" This terminology makes it easy for someone to assume if you don't have the option "sport" than you must be in "normal" but in fact what you don't have is the option "normal" it's just a play on words by BMW to make it sound more appealing. Hopefully I'm making sense with that explanation.
Yep, I know J08M3 - was just throwing it out there for others to absorb!
composed is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-31-2008, 05:20 PM   #26
Ronin13
First Lieutenant
 
Ronin13's Avatar
 
Drives: DKG E92 M3, S2K, JGC
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: STL, MO

Posts: 362
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by J08M3 View Post
This is basically what I was trying to say... I think we both are just explaining it a bit differently. What I was trying to say is exactly how you explained it in point 2 of your description. What is "Sport Mode" is how the non-EDC car is normally. I think BMW makes it a bit confusing with their term "Sport" and "Normal" This terminology makes it easy for someone to assume if you don't have the option "sport" than you must be in "normal" but in fact what you don't have is the option "normal" it's just a play on words by BMW to make it sound more appealing. Hopefully I'm making sense with that explanation.
I would agree that damping in the EDC car in Sport Mode behaves like a non-EDC car does. Basically with the shocks both having fixed compression and rebound rates. However, the Sport Mode fixed rates are higher in the in the EDC car than the fixed rates on the standard dampers. I think that's what you were saying.

It was said earlier, but the key to EDC is the real time dynamic adjustments in Normal Mode. Stiffer isn't always better as what you really want your dampers to be doing is helping to maintain contact patch. Normal Mode has the ability to go softer or stiffer than the fixed rates in Sport Mode as the situation demands.
Ronin13 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-31-2008, 06:02 PM   #27
composed
Enlisted Member
 
composed's Avatar
 
Drives: '14 M6 GC CP
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 44
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin13 View Post
...what you really want your dampers to be doing is helping to maintain contact patch...
Ronin13 FTW! This is what it's all about! As much as is possible given a particular alignment and geometry spec (like OEM), this is what EDC hopes to accomplish - whether it does or not is a whole other thread!
composed is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-01-2008, 12:25 AM   #28
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
 
Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe, 2012 ML350
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lake Oswego, OR

Posts: 7,555
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by J08M3 View Post
This is basically what I was trying to say... I think we both are just explaining it a bit differently. What I was trying to say is exactly how you explained it in point 2 of your description. What is "Sport Mode" is how the non-EDC car is normally. I think BMW makes it a bit confusing with their term "Sport" and "Normal" This terminology makes it easy for someone to assume if you don't have the option "sport" than you must be in "normal" but in fact what you don't have is the option "normal" it's just a play on words by BMW to make it sound more appealing. Hopefully I'm making sense with that explanation.
Actually you do have Normal if you don't have EDC, except no active damper control. It's already been stated, by Ronin13 and me, that the EDC Sport mode is much stiffer than the non-EDC system.
__________________

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2015 M4 Coupe - Silverstone/Sakhir/CF
2012 ML350
GregW / Oregon is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:42 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST