BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications
 
Evolve Automotive
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-18-2008, 01:09 AM   #1
Carfreak9922
First Lieutenant
 
Carfreak9922's Avatar
 
Drives: F30
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Irvine, CA

Posts: 387
iTrader: (0)

Exclamation E93 exterior mods....

Does anyone know if the E93 comes with the back lip on it like the E92....

or is it an add-on... if so how much????
Carfreak9922 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-18-2008, 10:21 AM   #2
TheBry
Captain
 
TheBry's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 740Li (F02) Loaded!
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: San Francisco, California

Posts: 759
iTrader: (0)

No deck-lid lip on the E93 M3... it's not even an option. I asked my CA and she said it has something to do with BMW not wanting additional "downforce" created on the rear deck-lid. Since it's a double-hinged lid (opens upward from rear to access trunk... opens the reverse direction to stow the hard-top) there's the potential for damage if to much down-force is created.

Personally I think that's BS. I mean, seriously, how much down-force can possibly be generated by that tiny little lip on the deck-lid? Does it make that much of a difference?
__________________

Past: 2004 E46 330ci Convertible
Present: 2008 E93 M3
Present: 2012 740Li (F02) M-Sport (European Delivery)
TheBry is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-18-2008, 12:36 PM   #3
ChrisFastM3
Captain
 
ChrisFastM3's Avatar
 
Drives: E46 M3 vert w/ LOTS of mods
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Miami, FL

Posts: 676
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBry View Post
Personally I think that's BS. I mean, seriously, how much down-force can possibly be generated by that tiny little lip on the deck-lid? Does it make that much of a difference?
Actually there is a law that even a very small lip with the correct design can create SERIOUS down force. The name skipped my mind. I'm sure someone here on the forum knows what I'm talking about. I read all about it on HowStuffWorks.com Amazing engineering from bmw............. as usual
ChrisFastM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-18-2008, 01:41 PM   #4
Carfreak9922
First Lieutenant
 
Carfreak9922's Avatar
 
Drives: F30
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Irvine, CA

Posts: 387
iTrader: (0)

but the car looks so much better with that on it... and how is it supposed to give down force???
Carfreak9922 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-18-2008, 01:53 PM   #5
Bennu
Colonel
 
Bennu's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW Coupe
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: West Palm Beach

Posts: 2,119
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBry View Post
No deck-lid lip on the E93 M3... it's not even an option. I asked my CA and she said it has something to do with BMW not wanting additional "downforce" created on the rear deck-lid. Since it's a double-hinged lid (opens upward from rear to access trunk... opens the reverse direction to stow the hard-top) there's the potential for damage if to much down-force is created.

Personally I think that's BS. I mean, seriously, how much down-force can possibly be generated by that tiny little lip on the deck-lid? Does it make that much of a difference?
I don't think its BS. Ever put your hand out the window going at 50MPH? Imagine doing that at 155MPH. Even with your little finger driving at those speeds you'll feel it. They might actually be telling the truth.
__________________
------------------------------------------------
Lack of money is not the problem. It is merely a symptom of what's going on inside of you! - T Harv Eker

Bennu is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-18-2008, 02:05 PM   #6
bher
Enlisted Member
 
bher's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3 - 6MT - SSII
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Brussels

Posts: 42
iTrader: (0)

When ordering mine they spoke about an option at 2000 including unlimitation of max speed and 2 days course at the Nurburgring BUT you had to keep the lip otherwise BMW refuses to de-limite the car.
I think it makes a real difference over 100 mph
bher is offline   Belgium
0
Reply With Quote
      05-19-2008, 11:23 AM   #7
ersin
Brigadier General
 
ersin's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 IB E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Maryland

Posts: 4,029
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFastM3 View Post
Actually there is a law that even a very small lip with the correct design can create SERIOUS down force. The name skipped my mind. I'm sure someone here on the forum knows what I'm talking about. I read all about it on HowStuffWorks.com Amazing engineering from bmw............. as usual
Are you talking about the Coanda effect? If so, it has more to do with decreasing drag than increasing down-force which would make sense with as small as it is.

As far as down-force is concerned, don't expect very much under, say, 100 mph anyway.
__________________

I've been assimilated. 6MT/ZPP/18"/PS extended.
ersin is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-19-2008, 11:45 AM   #8
CATAHOULA
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: E93 M3 Coming
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Alberta, Canada

Posts: 46
iTrader: (0)

Have any 335 e93 owners added the spoiler lip?
CATAHOULA is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-19-2008, 11:48 AM   #9
!Xoible
Banned
 
Drives: ....
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: .

Posts: 46,037
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 M3  [3.50]
2007 335i  [4.50]
2008 528i  [4.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CATAHOULA View Post
Have any 335 e93 owners added the spoiler lip?
only one E93 that i know that's modded is Tam@SPP's E93. i talked to him about a spoiler he said he's been searching forever but no one is willing to make it.
!Xoible is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-28-2008, 09:06 PM   #10
roadkillrob
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2008 335Cic, 2011 X5 35i
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Boston

Posts: 3,798
iTrader: (14)

Jlevi has one (http://www.jlevistreetwerks.com/BMW-...duct_info.html) I have it on my E93 - looks nice and really can't add enough downforce to matter!

Rob
Attached Images
 
roadkillrob is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
dct, e93

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:39 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST