BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion
 
INDustry distribution
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-25-2008, 09:04 PM   #1
e90im
Brigadier General
 
e90im's Avatar
 
Drives: f30
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: USA

Posts: 3,055
iTrader: (8)

McCain, How OLD is too OLD?

Airline pilots have mandatory retirement at 65. McBush is 72. Kinda scary.

Ooops, I'm sorry his medical records are OK and his mother is alive. Well that changes everything, doesn't it.
Attached Images
 
__________________
'13 f30 328i | P7ACA | S563A | S4DLA | Jet Black |

f30 e92 tt S5 e92 350z e90
e90im is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-26-2008, 12:35 PM   #2
fedinand
Major
 
fedinand's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 X3, '11 GTI
Join Date: May 2007
Location: MN

Posts: 1,271
iTrader: (6)

I think there will many other areas to go after McCain w/out getting into the age thing. It feels "Karl Rovian" somehow and "swiftboatish" After the dirt and slime from the Hillary campaign, I don't think the Dems will need to or should go there imho.
fedinand is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-26-2008, 05:48 PM   #3
FirstClass
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 328xi
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Posts: 3,199
iTrader: (0)

Regan was older than McCain when he got shot and came through it just fine. Mind you McCain would be older upon entering office, but the only way that should affect anyone's vote is to pay a little more attention to who his VP is. (Which shouldn't affect anyone's vote, because whoever he chooses will share his views for the most part)
__________________
328xi Coupe, Montego Blue on Black with Alum, Step, Sport, Premium, CA, PDC, Cold Weather (Damn Pennsylvania winters)
Current Mods: Heavy right foot - Planned Mods: Lightweight right foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
FirstClass is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-26-2008, 05:54 PM   #4
Sam12345
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Sam12345's Avatar
 
Drives: jet black 335i coupe
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: So Cal

Posts: 1,534
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2008 335i Coupe  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to Sam12345
Old people are known for being much more racist and pro-war then younger genarations. Not only that but this psycho was tortured in vietnam, and some how he is using that for sympathy points. FUCK THAT getting tortured makes people unstable in the head and no way should a person like that be president.
__________________
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Sam12345 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-28-2008, 03:14 PM   #5
caudalM3
New Member
 
Drives: 2008 AW M3 6MT
Join Date: May 2008
Location: PA

Posts: 24
iTrader: (0)

Age brings experience and wisdom, so I'm not against Age. In fact, I would prefer the elder statesmen in most cases.

But this guy carries so many wounds/scars/bad memories that I don't think he could make decisions with an even keel or an objective POV. He still remembers getting tortured and beaten by 'asians' (i'll use the word asians, he uses a different word..) and he thinks all middle easterns support Al-quaida. Those are two regions of the world that the US will be most concerned with during the next 4-8 years, so hes probably the one human being that should NOT become president.
caudalM3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-28-2008, 03:23 PM   #6
ksfrogman
Major General
 
ksfrogman's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 330i 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Torrance, CA

Posts: 6,751
iTrader: (12)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to ksfrogman
Physical and mental competence should be of primary concern, not just his age.
__________________
ksfrogman is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-30-2008, 07:48 AM   #7
ik999
Lieutenant
 
ik999's Avatar
 
Drives: monacoblau e90 335i
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: markham, ontario

Posts: 499
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by caudalM3 View Post
Age brings experience and wisdom, so I'm not against Age. In fact, I would prefer the elder statesmen in most cases.

But this guy carries so many wounds/scars/bad memories that I don't think he could make decisions with an even keel or an objective POV. He still remembers getting tortured and beaten by 'asians' (i'll use the word asians, he uses a different word..) and he thinks all middle easterns support Al-quaida. Those are two regions of the world that the US will be most concerned with during the next 4-8 years, so hes probably the one human being that should NOT become president.
+1234
ik999 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      05-30-2008, 08:02 AM   #8
ganeil
Colonel
 
ganeil's Avatar
 
Drives: 328i Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Georgia

Posts: 2,050
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by caudalM3 View Post
Age brings experience and wisdom, so I'm not against Age. In fact, I would prefer the elder statesmen in most cases.

But this guy carries so many wounds/scars/bad memories that I don't think he could make decisions with an even keel or an objective POV. He still remembers getting tortured and beaten by 'asians' (i'll use the word asians, he uses a different word..) and he thinks all middle easterns support Al-quaida. Those are two regions of the world that the US will be most concerned with during the next 4-8 years, so hes probably the one human being that should NOT become president.
I have to assume you are not a professional since making this kind of diagnosis without actually meeting the person would be unethical. if you are not a professional, why do you feel qualified to make such a diagnosis?
__________________
_____________

1974 2002tii
1978 320i
2007 328i
ganeil is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-30-2008, 09:08 AM   #9
caudalM3
New Member
 
Drives: 2008 AW M3 6MT
Join Date: May 2008
Location: PA

Posts: 24
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganeil View Post
I have to assume you are not a professional since making this kind of diagnosis without actually meeting the person would be unethical. if you are not a professional, why do you feel qualified to make such a diagnosis?

Hes a political figure running for the Presidency which I must vote on using all the facts before me. I make my judgements based on a political figure's political, personal and health history. Obviously central to that is a candidates statements.

I know you are trying to call me out, but it seems asinine of you to suggest that we should make a choice about a candidate for POTUS without passing judgement on the person's statements and his probable opinions on future issues. It doesn't take an MD to determine that someone does not like a certain group based on his publically made statements from behind a microphone.

Get it together man.
caudalM3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-30-2008, 09:18 AM   #10
ganeil
Colonel
 
ganeil's Avatar
 
Drives: 328i Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Georgia

Posts: 2,050
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by caudalM3 View Post
Hes a political figure running for the Presidency which I must vote on using all the facts before me. I make my judgements based on a political figure's political, personal and health history. Obviously central to that is a candidates statements.

I know you are trying to call me out, but it seems asinine of you to suggest that we should make a choice about a candidate for POTUS without passing judgement on the person's statements and his probable opinions on future issues. It doesn't take an MD to determine that someone does not like a certain group based on his publically made statements from behind a microphone.

Get it together man.
But you have absolutely no idea how his POW experience has effected him. He has led a rather successful life in the Navy and in Congress since his release.

What statements are you referring to?
__________________
_____________

1974 2002tii
1978 320i
2007 328i
ganeil is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-30-2008, 09:28 AM   #11
caudalM3
New Member
 
Drives: 2008 AW M3 6MT
Join Date: May 2008
Location: PA

Posts: 24
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganeil View Post
But you have absolutely no idea how his POW experience has effected him. He has led a rather successful life in the Navy and in Congress since his release.

What statements are you referring to?
Google some of his speeches on Iraq and read through them, he consistently shows an inability to recognize that there are different people and different opinions in the middle east. His most publicized blunder was his reference to Iran as supportive of Al-quaida, which he quickly corrected and appologized for. But if you actually go ahead and read his statements, this is not a new thing. He basicly believes the entire middle east is a giant horde of similarly minded people who are basicly the enemy. To me that is the mark of a racist in no uncertain terms.

As for his opinion on Asians, do a google search using the words McCain and a common racial slur against asians and you will find your answers on that topic as well.

His statements about these two regions of the world make his opinions CLEAR. He has to constantly make 'corrections' 'appologies' or what ever you want to call it, but appologizing and/or correcting for these types of statements after the fact doesn't make it right. This is just part of the political culture right now, do what you want and just appologize for it later.

Alot of people agree with his opinion of these two parts of the world and in my experience they are usually racists themselves, which is fine. If you are a racist and agree with his viewpoints, there is no problem with that and you should vote for him.

As I said in my initial post, *I* disagree with that view, and so in *my* opinion he should be the very last man for the job of President.

Oh and don't go down the road to try and pretend that his derogatory statements about Asians is in no way connected to the fact that he was a US solider in Vietnam who was captured, abused and had his rights as a human being completly violated.

Come back to planet Earth Ganeil.
caudalM3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-30-2008, 09:38 AM   #12
ganeil
Colonel
 
ganeil's Avatar
 
Drives: 328i Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Georgia

Posts: 2,050
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by caudalM3 View Post
Google some of his speeches on Iraq and read through them, he consistently shows an inability to recognize that there are different people and different opinions in the middle east. His most publicized blunder was his reference to Iran as supportive of Al-quaida, which he quickly corrected and appologized for. But if you actually go ahead and read his statements, this is not a new thing. He basicly believes the entire middle east is a giant horde of similarly minded people who are basicly the enemy. To me that is the mark of a racist in no uncertain terms.

As for his opinion on Asians, do a google search using the words McCain and a common racial slur against asians and you will find your answers on that topic as well.

His statements about these two regions of the world make his opinions CLEAR. He has to constantly make 'corrections' 'appologies' or what ever you want to call it, but appologizing and/or correcting for these types of statements after the fact doesn't make it right. This is just part of the political culture right now, do what you want and just appologize for it later.

Alot of people agree with his opinion of these two parts of the world and in my experience they are usually racists themselves, which is fine. If you are a racist and agree with his viewpoints, there is no problem with that and you should vote for him.

As I said in my initial post, *I* disagree with that view, and so in *my* opinion he should be the very last man for the job of President.

Oh and don't go down the road to try and pretend that his derogatory statements about Asians is in no way connected to the fact that he was a US solider in Vietnam who was captured, abused and had his rights as a human being completly violated.

Come back to planet Earth Ganeil.
Actually there is plenty of evidence that Iran has given support to al Qaeda but whatever.

The use of a slang term is proof of racism? Maybe you should be a little less delicate.

What actions has he ever taken to suggest he is a racist? Have you ever seen his children?

For the record, John McCain was never a soldier.
__________________
_____________

1974 2002tii
1978 320i
2007 328i
ganeil is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-30-2008, 01:51 PM   #13
ik999
Lieutenant
 
ik999's Avatar
 
Drives: monacoblau e90 335i
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: markham, ontario

Posts: 499
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganeil View Post
Actually there is plenty of evidence that Iran has given support to al Qaeda but whatever.

The use of a slang term is proof of racism? Maybe you should be a little less delicate.

What actions has he ever taken to suggest he is a racist? Have you ever seen his children?

For the record, John McCain was never a soldier.

wikipedia:

"McCain graduated from the United States Naval Academy in 1958 and became a naval aviator, flying attack aircraft from carriers. During the Vietnam War, he nearly lost his life in the 1967 USS Forrestal fire. Later that year while on a bombing mission over North Vietnam, he was shot down, badly injured, and captured as a prisoner of war by the North Vietnamese. He spent five and a half years as a prisoner of war, experiencing episodes of torture."

and what evidence are you talking about which suggests Iran would support 'Al-Qaida'? Iran would never do that.
ik999 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      05-30-2008, 03:48 PM   #14
dr335is
Brigadier General
 
Drives: GTI
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Dallas, TX

Posts: 4,973
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ik999 View Post
wikipedia:

"McCain graduated from the United States Naval Academy in 1958 and became a naval aviator, flying attack aircraft from carriers. During the Vietnam War, he nearly lost his life in the 1967 USS Forrestal fire. Later that year while on a bombing mission over North Vietnam, he was shot down, badly injured, and captured as a prisoner of war by the North Vietnamese. He spent five and a half years as a prisoner of war, experiencing episodes of torture."

and what evidence are you talking about which suggests Iran would support 'Al-Qaida'? Iran would never do that.
Same as "clear" evidfence that Iraq supported Al Qaeda and other lies that were proven wrong later...
dr335is is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-30-2008, 06:36 PM   #15
ganeil
Colonel
 
ganeil's Avatar
 
Drives: 328i Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Georgia

Posts: 2,050
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ik999 View Post
wikipedia:

"McCain graduated from the United States Naval Academy in 1958 and became a naval aviator, flying attack aircraft from carriers. During the Vietnam War, he nearly lost his life in the 1967 USS Forrestal fire. Later that year while on a bombing mission over North Vietnam, he was shot down, badly injured, and captured as a prisoner of war by the North Vietnamese. He spent five and a half years as a prisoner of war, experiencing episodes of torture."

and what evidence are you talking about which suggests Iran would support 'Al-Qaida'? Iran would never do that.
I have no idea what the purpose of the McCain biography Wikipedia entry is but as for Iran and al Qaeda:

Here is an article from the Middle East Quarterly

This article in the Long War Journal lays out some more recent info.
__________________
_____________

1974 2002tii
1978 320i
2007 328i
ganeil is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-30-2008, 07:17 PM   #16
caudalM3
New Member
 
Drives: 2008 AW M3 6MT
Join Date: May 2008
Location: PA

Posts: 24
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganeil View Post
I have no idea what the purpose of the McCain biography Wikipedia entry is but as for Iran and al Qaeda:

Here is an article from the Middle East Quarterly

This article in the Long War Journal lays out some more recent info.

Wow, the lack of education in this country on very very basic history is astonishing.

Do you know what Iran was doing as a foreign policy objective in the early and mid 90s when this article claims they helped trained 'al-quaida'? (Hint: supporting and training the Afghanistan resistance movement against the Taliban, the guys who are now US allies in Afghanistan).

Do you know who killed Iranian diplomats in the mid to late 90s in Afghanistan because of Iranian support of the Afghanistan resistance movement which almost resulted in an Iranian ground invasian of Afghanistan against the Taliban/Al-quaida?

Dear lord, no wonder our foreign policy is in such shambles. Reagan and Bush (#1) had such a kick ass foreign policy team, and now with Bush #2 we are stuck with a generation of people who have no basic understanding of the Middle East or its history.

Scary times people.



Ganeil I know I'm coming across as an asshole, I don't mean to and you seem like a fairly educated person. I cannot believe you would read an obscure article like this and accept it as fact. If this topic interests you (I assume it doesn't), I believe you should read some of the books on Iran out of U.Chicago press. They are the foremost world experts on Iran at the moment.

I'll summarize whats going on for you. Iran hates Al-Quaida as much as the US or possibly more. Thats the only reason there was some semblance of cooperation between the two nations during the initial invasian of Afghanistan by the USA. Iran is now firmly against the US in Iraq because of its ties to the shiite community in Iraq, not because of Al-quaida.

Wow i'm still shell shocked at the lack of basic understanding of the region. Sad part is that McCain seems to have an even less rounded understanding of the region. With him as president things will spiral really badly out of control there.

Wheres President Reagan/Bush I when you need them. Look at where Iran was during those times and look at how much stronger Iran is now. You "republican" newbies are screwing it all up.
caudalM3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-30-2008, 07:22 PM   #17
!Xoible
Banned
 
Drives: ....
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: .

Posts: 46,037
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 M3  [3.50]
2007 335i  [4.50]
2008 528i  [4.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [4.00]
ganeil i have no idea what the fuck your point is in every fucking thread. ur just a blind republican advocate. ur arguments are ridiculous
!Xoible is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-30-2008, 08:13 PM   #18
ganeil
Colonel
 
ganeil's Avatar
 
Drives: 328i Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Georgia

Posts: 2,050
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by caudalM3 View Post
Wow, the lack of education in this country on very very basic history is astonishing.
A couple of points.

First, you are making an elementary error in conflating Al Qaeda with the Taliban. They have a close relationship but they are not the same thing. Support or opposition for one does not imply support or opposition to the other. For instance, Saudi Arabia was one of only three nations in the world to recognize the Taliban regime (Pakistan and the UAE being the others.). Saudi Arabia is also a prime target of al Qaeda hatred. Also, the Sudan-al Qaeda-Iran linkage mentioned predates the existence of the Taliban which did not exist until 1994 and did not gain control of Kabul until late 1996.

Second, the obscure article I referenced contained information from the 9/11 Commission Report. They documented the links between Iran and al Qaeda.

Third, on my last trip to Iraq I saw quite a few AQI arms caches full of new Iranian manufactured munitions.
__________________
_____________

1974 2002tii
1978 320i
2007 328i
ganeil is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-30-2008, 08:14 PM   #19
ganeil
Colonel
 
ganeil's Avatar
 
Drives: 328i Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Georgia

Posts: 2,050
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mantis View Post
ganeil i have no idea what the fuck your point is in every fucking thread.
Of this, I have little doubt.
__________________
_____________

1974 2002tii
1978 320i
2007 328i
ganeil is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-31-2008, 02:51 PM   #20
ik999
Lieutenant
 
ik999's Avatar
 
Drives: monacoblau e90 335i
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: markham, ontario

Posts: 499
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganeil View Post
I have no idea what the purpose of the McCain biography Wikipedia entry is but as for Iran and al Qaeda:

Here is an article from the Middle East Quarterly

This article in the Long War Journal lays out some more recent info.
You stated the John Mccain was never a soldier.

So, I provided a quote to show that you are wrong.

Mccain was in the navy. As a naval aviator.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ganeil View Post
A couple of points.

First, you are making an elementary error in conflating Al Qaeda with the Taliban. They have a close relationship but they are not the same thing. Support or opposition for one does not imply support or opposition to the other. For instance, Saudi Arabia was one of only three nations in the world to recognize the Taliban regime (Pakistan and the UAE being the others.). Saudi Arabia is also a prime target of al Qaeda hatred. Also, the Sudan-al Qaeda-Iran linkage mentioned predates the existence of the Taliban which did not exist until 1994 and did not gain control of Kabul until late 1996.

Second, the obscure article I referenced contained information from the 9/11 Commission Report. They documented the links between Iran and al Qaeda.

Third, on my last trip to Iraq I saw quite a few AQI arms caches full of new Iranian manufactured munitions.
So you are saying that Iran is/was against the Taliban, but at the same time in support of 'Al-Qaeda'?

(just want to clarify what you are saying)
ik999 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      05-31-2008, 03:13 PM   #21
ganeil
Colonel
 
ganeil's Avatar
 
Drives: 328i Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Georgia

Posts: 2,050
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ik999 View Post
You stated the John Mccain was never a soldier.

So, I provided a quote to show that you are wrong.

Mccain was in the navy. As a naval aviator.
McCain was a sailor, not a soldier.

Sailors serve in the Navy.

Soldiers in the Army.

Quote:
So you are saying that Iran is/was against the Taliban, but at the same time in support of 'Al-Qaeda'?

(just want to clarify what you are saying)
I am saying that according to the 9/11 Commission, Iran had ties to al Qaeda that predate the existence of the Taliban. The idea that Iran would continue that relationship despite the al Qaeda - Taliban relationship is not at all surprising. Saudi Arabia had the inverse relationship, support for the taliban, opposition to al Qaeda.
__________________
_____________

1974 2002tii
1978 320i
2007 328i
ganeil is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-31-2008, 03:23 PM   #22
dr335is
Brigadier General
 
Drives: GTI
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Dallas, TX

Posts: 4,973
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganeil View Post
McCain was a sailor, not a soldier.

Sailors serve in the Navy.

Soldiers in the Army.

.
WOW!
R2D2 needs some fine tuning...

I guess 4100 soldiers killed in Iraq does not include Marines, Navy, Coast Guard... Strictly Army...
dr335is is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:22 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST