BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

GTB Performance

05-20-2008, 02:21 PM   #23
Davo2003
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe Jerez and loaded

Keep the power button depressed always as I do. You will notice a huge difference in response. I don't ever drive mine in normal mode due to the lag you have mentioned. On one occasion I pulled out into traffic in normal mode and almost got creamed when the car just sat there. I think it will take a sodftware tweak to remedy this but none are available yet.
      05-20-2008, 04:12 PM   #24
HammerM3
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: 2008 AW DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo2003 View Post
Keep the power button depressed always as I do. You will notice a huge difference in response. I don't ever drive mine in normal mode due to the lag you have mentioned. On one occasion I pulled out into traffic in normal mode and almost got creamed when the car just sat there. I think it will take a sodftware tweak to remedy this but none are available yet.

I agree sport is a must, and hopefully there will be something to remedy this....cause even in sport it's still there.....but after jumping back into the e46 smg I did notice that the shifts were much much quicker in the e92....
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 10:00 AM   #25
adamr
Major
South Africa
Rep

Drives: 997 GT3 RS

Garage List
can someone comment on the lag once the 2000km/1200mile service has been done, does it go away? ... swamp or anyone can u comment pleeeeeeeeeeeese??? ...

2007 Porsche 997 GT3 RS
|PCM with NAV and GSM|Roll Cage|PCCB|Xenons|Sports Chrono Plus|PASM|Leather Pack|Silver Seat-belts|
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 10:31 AM   #26
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep

Drives: E92M3 RS46 Club Sport, others

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerM3 View Post
Have about 300 miles on this car and I still drive my old SMG M3. First off, it's a great looking car. Feels solid and way more refined than the old one. BUt we all know what it looks like and I'm more about performace so I'll move on.

When you get in a start the car, the engine sounds really good. Although i think it could have been a tad louder.The one thing that concerned me was when i went to step on the gas , there was quite a bit of lag (almost like I was slowly letting out the clutch on a manual car) once this "lag" is over the car is very responsive.I've played with all the settings to get rid of this "lag" but to no avail. It's not a deal breaker but for those of you going to get this car, i would suggest you test drive it first.It's very different from the SMG. When I hopped back into my SMG I could really tell the difference. The SMG felt like immediate response. I think this will take getting used to.

The car handle great. I think better then the SMG that I have. I haven't pushed it hard yet but it feels solid and balanced.

The Gas consumption is pretty dismal. I watched the fifth gear review and I don't know what that is talking about this car being more economical. It's not. I was getting 22 mpg on my old SMG. This car cruises on the free way no better than 23. And when averaged with the street driving, this car is around 15 MPG. Not good in my book.

Overall i like the car and will need more time to fully evaluate it. But these are my opinions so far and wanted to share it especially with people who are about to buy this car.
The lag can be fixed with a simple device that installed in about 10 minutes behind the peddles, it is an extension with male and female connectors that fits perfectly on the OE accelerator cord. It is amazing how this simple device improves throttle response by A LOT!!!!! Definitely noticeable!! It cost me about $400 USD!
      05-21-2008, 01:58 PM   #27
HammerM3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-M-Mexico View Post
The lag can be fixed with a simple device that installed in about 10 minutes behind the peddles, it is an extension with male and female connectors that fits perfectly on the OE accelerator cord. It is amazing how this simple device improves throttle response by A LOT!!!!! Definitely noticeable!! It cost me about $400 USD!
what device is this and what does it do?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 02:50 PM   #28
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 08 IB E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerM3 View Post
what device is this and what does it do?
Yeah, what he said. Come on Mex, spill the beans. What is this?

I've been assimilated. 6MT/ZPP/18"/PS extended.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 02:52 PM   #29
ihyln
Banned
United_States
Rep

Drives: M3post sucks

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
2002 530i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to ihyln
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersin View Post
The CDV mod that people used on their E46 M3s.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 02:57 PM   #30
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 08 IB E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihyln View Post
The CDV mod that people used on their E46 M3s.
Ok. So you're confirming that the M-DCT has the CDV? I've just found out today that the 6MT does indeed have a CDV and that replacing it makes a difference in feel like almost every other BMW. So who here has replaced (or removed) the CDV in their M-DCT and does it make a difference?

I've been assimilated. 6MT/ZPP/18"/PS extended.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 02:59 PM   #31
ihyln
Banned
United_States
Rep

Drives: M3post sucks

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
2002 530i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to ihyln
BMW-M-Mexico has 6MT not DCT.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 05:24 PM   #32
bmwprince4life
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: none

Idk sounds weird to me of this LAG. I had that on my 645 that I step on it takes while to go. I complained to dealer about it and when I complain I get a lil mad so the job gets done. I got it back somehow with much much better response and I think it becomes more aggressive if you drive more aggressive.After driving it hard passed 2 yrs the throttle response is always always quick.Thats my opinion but I hope this isnt a SMG issue cuz I hate LAG
      05-21-2008, 05:28 PM   #33
HammerM3
Private First Class
Rep

What is a CDV and does the DCTs have them?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 05:50 PM   #34
OverDrive
CHEAT TO WIN!!
Canada
Rep

Drives: M3

maybe the lag is becasue BMW secretly put a small turbocharger in the m3's with MDCT to make them 0.2 seconds faster to 60mph faster
      05-21-2008, 07:21 PM   #35
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep

Drives: E92M3 RS46 Club Sport, others

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersin View Post
Don't know what it does other than it has a chip that somehow greatly improves thottle response. I got it and the local Brabus dealer that also does ACS, Breyton, Tech Art etc... I've installed the device on several of my vehicles and ALL of them showed improved response. I'll call the distributor and ask him but they would not give me information on where it is made other than it is European.