BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

BPM Sport

05-13-2008, 04:07 PM   #1
TMNT
Captain

Drives: 330ci ZHP

Obama's running mate should be...

Virginia Democratic Senator Jim Webb:

Background Info:
-Former Republican
-Was former Secretary of the Navy under Reagan
-Former marine Veitnam Vet
-Graduate of the U.S. Naval Academy
-He earned a Navy Cross, the second highest decoration in the Navy and Marine Corps for heroism in Vietnam. Webb also earned the Silver Star, two Bronze Stars, and two Purple Hearts and was wounded twice, and won awards from the American Legion and VFW
-Voted against the war in Iraq
-Defeated popular former Va senator George Allen, a man who at the time was viewed as a likely presidential contender
-On his first day in office, he introduced the 21st century version of the GI Bill, designed to provide identical benefits to post 9/11 veterans as those of World War II. He has offered amendments requiring that soldiers be given the same time at home as length of deployment, and most recently, he has threatened legal action against the Bush administration for reneging on its promise to redeploy 30,000 troops out of Iraq. He serves on the Foreign Relations Committee, the Armed Services Committee, and the Committee on Veterans Affairs.
-born in Saint Joseph, Missouri a swing state
-Received an "A" rating from the middleclass.org
-His son served and might still be serving in Iraq
-Most impressive, however, is Webb's popularity amongst men. His tough, no BS style of leading has earned him national admiration which gained him a huge following some followers.

His rebuttle to Bush's State of the Union:

Case Closed.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 04:13 PM   #2
fedinand
Major
United_States

Drives: '11 X3, '11 GTI

Not a bad choice at all...although I still he has to ask and be turned down by Hillary first.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 04:46 PM   #3
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Canada

Drives: EBII 2014 F31 328xi

I don't think Hillary is gonna get the call. I am not American but the fight has been tough, Obama, if it all works out, is going to select someone similar in philosophy to him.

That is not Mrs C
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 05:05 PM   #4
fedinand
Major
United_States

I don't think he wants to - I think Hillary's antics have pretty much wrecked any sort of unity w/in the party at the moment. I don't think she will take VP spot - I can't see her ego accepting that, but he at least needs to ask and be turned down for the sake of party unity. I personally hope it won't be Hillary (I went from being supporter to not being able to stand her...right now she repulses me almost as much as GW).
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 05:16 PM   #5
ganeil
Colonel
United_States

Drives: 328i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyg View Post
I don't think Hillary is gonna get the call. I am not American but the fight has been tough, Obama, if it all works out, is going to select someone similar in philosophy to him.

That is not Mrs C
What are the philosophical differences between Clinton and Obama? Both seem to be fairly basic big government liberals.

1974 2002tii
1978 320i
2007 328i
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 05:43 PM   #6
fedinand
Major
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganeil View Post
What are the philosophical differences between Clinton and Obama? Both seem to be fairly basic big government liberals.
Obama seeks bipartisan effort, Hillary does not. Obama does not believe in slash and burn politics - Hillary is the master of slash and burn. Obama is against the war and Hillary wants to go to war with Iran. Hillary believes in gimmicks like the "gas tax holiday" Obama is against such gimmicks - even when it costs him votes.

Both big Government Liberals? Funny how you phrase that...I guess it is a matter of perspective - they want to help the middle class and Repubs want to help big business and gas companies. Both would be better than the current one....aka the worst president in the history. If the current president is your idea of small government and being a conservative, I'll take the big business liberals thank you. Does big business = helping the poor and disenfranchised? Funny how Repubs use the Bible to be Big Government (if it has anything to do with sex..you know how you want to legislate who and how and what you do in the bedroom) - but always forget the examples of helping the poor and less fortunate and oh my God...paying taxes - yup, thats in their too.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 06:22 PM   #7
ganeil
Colonel
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedinand View Post
Obama seeks bipartisan effort, Hillary does not. Obama does not believe in slash and burn politics - Hillary is the master of slash and burn. Obama is against the war and Hillary wants to go to war with Iran. Hillary believes in gimmicks like the "gas tax holiday" Obama is against such gimmicks - even when it costs him votes.
Where in Sen Obama's legislative history is there evidence of this bipartisanship? The rest of what you cite maybe examples of policy differences but surely not philosophical. I'm not even sure if they are accurate depictions of policy differences. I recall Sen Obama threatening to invade Pakistan not too long ago. He has also said he would redeploy US troops to Iraq if al Qaeda gained a foot hold there.

Quote:
Both big Government Liberals? Funny how you phrase that...I guess it is a matter of perspective - they want to help the middle class and Repubs want to help big business and gas companies. Both would be better than the current one....aka the worst president in the history. If the current president is your idea of small government and being a conservative, I'll take the big business liberals thank you. Does big business = helping the poor and disenfranchised? Funny how Repubs use the Bible to be Big Government (if it has anything to do with sex..you know how you want to legislate who and how and what you do in the bedroom) - but always forget the examples of helping the poor and less fortunate and oh my God...paying taxes - yup, thats in their too.
For the record I do not consider the President to be a small government conservative. That is one of the reasons I did not support him in the 2000 primaries. He believes, mistakenly IMHO, that government has the capacity to be compassionate. Government is incapable of being compassionate and it should not try to be. Government cannot give anything to anyone that it has not first taken forcibly from someone else.

1974 2002tii
1978 320i
2007 328i
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 06:25 PM   #8
gigz
Private
United_States

Drives: 335xi

Send a message via Skype™ to gigz
Government helping the poor = welfare and ghetto
Big business helping the poor = middle class
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 06:49 PM   #9
flyinb501
Lieutenant

Drives: G35 Coupe, Dodge Ram

There's not a person on this planet that could get that guy into the white house...
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 06:58 PM   #10
fedinand
Major
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigz View Post
Thats what Repubs always think..you think welfare means ghetto - the biggest group receiving welfare are single white mothers.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 08:17 PM   #11
lyndon_h
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: e90

Quote:
Big business helping the poor? How does that work?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 08:59 PM   #12
gigz
Private
United_States

Drives: 335xi

Send a message via Skype™ to gigz
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndon_h View Post
Big business helping the poor? How does that work?
Jobs!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 09:45 PM   #13
dr335is
Brigadier General

Drives: GTI

Quote:
Jobs!!!
Ah, you meant Business (ob)using poor...
Typical Republican theory -- take care of the rich, give them top tax breaks, as for the rest -- ghetto...
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 10:00 PM   #14
TMNT
Captain

Drives: 330ci ZHP

This thread is about RUNNING MATES, nothing else. Let's stay on topic people.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 10:07 PM   #15
ganeil
Colonel
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNT View Post
This thread is about RUNNING MATES, nothing else. Let's stay on topic people.
Uh Oh... the post police have spoken!!

1974 2002tii
1978 320i
2007 328i
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2008, 01:57 PM   #16
Carnage
Lieutenant General
United_States

Drives: people insane

I think it should be me..I pledge to burn down cities, destroy homes and businesses for no reason, create mayhem on a regular basis and hunt down and kill Peter Parker the first chance I get...I'm Carnage you can believe in.....
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2008, 08:34 PM   #17
FolsomMike
Lieutenant
United_States

Drives: crimson red 335 cabrio

Quote:
Jobs!!!
Yeah, in Iraq..
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2008, 02:56 PM   #18
caudalM3
United_States

Drives: 2008 AW M3 6MT

I think President Bush should be his running mate, in all seriousness. I've had this theory for many years that if the outgoing president would serve as an advisor or better yet as a Vice President, that our goverment would have better/smoother transitions, and less of the political blame game of blaming the previous administration for everything that goes wrong in the first year. It would also help to bring more balance to the presidency. Yea its a crazy and unrealistic idea, thats of course true, but I like to imaging "what if" sometimes..
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2008, 06:13 PM   #19
fedinand
Major
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by caudalM3 View Post
I think President Bush should be his running mate, in all seriousness. I've had this theory for many years that if the outgoing president would serve as an advisor or better yet as a Vice President, that our goverment would have better/smoother transitions, and less of the political blame game of blaming the previous administration for everything that goes wrong in the first year. It would also help to bring more balance to the presidency. Yea its a crazy and unrealistic idea, thats of course true, but I like to imaging "what if" sometimes..
Wait - you want Bush in the White House as VP and if/ when McCain dies.....oh Hell no. Drop the crack pipe and back way from the computer..please. Oh you meant w/ Obama? Not with Huckabee making jokes about Obama getting assassinated. I bet GW would invite Obama to go hunting w/ Cheney...bad idea all the way around.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2008, 06:40 PM   #20
Solonng
Captain

Drives: Monacco Blue 335i coupe

Quote:
Wait - you want Bush in the White House as VP and if/ when McCain dies.....oh Hell no. Drop the crack pipe and back way from the computer..please. Oh you meant w/ Obama? Not with Huckabee making jokes about Obama getting assassinated. I bet GW would invite Obama to go hunting w/ Cheney...bad idea all the way around.
lol, heres a cool link for you:
http://www.alaska.net/~clund/e_djubl...rthsociety.htm
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2008, 06:49 PM   #21
fedinand
Major
United_States

Thats nice. Why am I not surprised that you would know all about that. Are you a member? I don't want to assume - all I have to go on are your posts.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2008, 07:09 PM   #22
Solonng
Captain

Drives: Monacco Blue 335i coupe

Quote:
Thats nice. Why am I not surprised that you would know all about that. Are you a member? I don't want to assume - all I have to go on are your posts.
i'm awaiting your approval for membership..please..aww
Appreciate 0