BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

05-19-2008, 10:18 AM   #67
fedinand
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: '11 X3, '11 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couch View Post
Well, I've seen it with my own eyes. Beer was scanned, food stamps were signed and handed to the cashier. No cash exchanged hands. So obviously the cashier fucked up. That's why I thought you could.

Not that I disagree with the "working wage" being low, but work ethic sucks. We all have to start out somewhere, the only way to get noticed and move up is to bust your ass and show you're proud to have a job.

And my parents never had it easy. My dad had to get a second job working nights painting buildings to put diapers on my ass and food on the table. He finally reached a point where he didn't have to.

I still stand by the point that the system is abused, needs reform, and that too many people expect hand outs. A friend of mine in college abused the unemployment system himself. Worse, his dad told him how to do it. And they weren't in hurt for money. It pissed me off. But he wound up distancing himself from all of us anyway and haven't heard from him in years.

There is a fine line somewhere to bring both sides (libs and conservs) together. Unforunately that will never be found because each side is too concerned with making sure their side has more power.

I read your posts and you seem like a smart guy, but some of your generalizations are pretty messed up - either you only know lazy poor people or your sample size is low (like 1)....remember when all your friends who happened to be minorities were in gangs? I work with parents daily who work 2 and 3 jobs to make it. I work with parents who cannot afford childcare and to feed their families and pay rent. I work with families who have been paying rent only to find out the owners (who live in the burbs) are not paying the mortgage and these families are getting evicted - even though they have been paying rent. You know what - they are not lazy and have an admirable work ethic. I'm sick of reading posts about people getting blamed for the mortgage disaster - when the victims have done all that they could only to find the landlords f'd up and now are taking their money and foreclosing on the property the "victims" call home. On my way to work - literally every other house is boarded up due to the mortgage mess. The folks who had lived in the homes and were paying rent are now homeless....and folks who don't have a clue are "assuming" they deserve this.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2008, 10:23 AM   #68
fedinand
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's funny. I never ever said anything about white, black, yellow, purple. Why does race keep coming up, it's not an issue. Not for me anyway. Yet you make an attempt to say I was talking about a certain race.
If the shoe doesn't fit don't be so quick to put it on. Read my post - I used and - The reference to you would be someone far removed the reference to welfare = ghetto was to a poster who posted welfare = ghetto in another post.

edit - this post:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...88&postcount=9
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2008, 11:17 AM   #69
LuisSF
Major
Rep

Drives: '13 128i 6mt m-sport

Garage List
2007 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Well, I've seen it with my own eyes. Beer was scanned, food stamps were signed and handed to the cashier. No cash exchanged hands. So obviously the cashier fucked up. That's why I thought you could.

Not that I disagree with the "working wage" being low, but work ethic sucks. We all have to start out somewhere, the only way to get noticed and move up is to bust your ass and show you're proud to have a job.

And my parents never had it easy. My dad had to get a second job working nights painting buildings to put diapers on my ass and food on the table. He finally reached a point where he didn't have to.

I still stand by the point that the system is abused, needs reform, and that too many people expect hand outs. A friend of mine in college abused the unemployment system himself. Worse, his dad told him how to do it. And they weren't in hurt for money. It pissed me off. But he wound up distancing himself from all of us anyway and haven't heard from him in years.

There is a fine line somewhere to bring both sides (libs and conservs) together. Unforunately that will never be found because each side is too concerned with making sure their side has more power.
The system is abused, but all systems are abused. Right on up to Enron and WorldCom. You can't rail against one system and not another. You can't put the 95% of people who are honest in the system in jeopardy for the few who abuse it because society as a whole will be that much worse off.

I am reading "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" now and I'd have to say it's much better that we have a system where a poor pregnant lady doesn't have to make her kids quit school to work and where she has to scrub floors being 8 months pregnant. As an advanced society we cannot burden the 95% of pregnant ladies today who don't abuse the systems in place to make sure they are healthy and their kids have the opportunity to get an education for the few who abuse the system.
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...future+classic
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2008, 11:43 AM   #70
phantom330
Captain
Rep

Drives: e93 335i

he's going to be the next president, like it or not. I'm not sure how I feel about him, but I don't think McCain has a shot in hell of beating him. People are ready for change and they associate party change with change.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2008, 11:50 AM   #71
LuisSF
Major
Rep

Drives: '13 128i 6mt m-sport

Garage List
2007 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom330 View Post
he's going to be the next president, like it or not. I'm not sure how I feel about him, but I don't think McCain has a shot in hell of beating him. People are ready for change and they associate party change with change.
I already have my room booked in DC to watch history being made.
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...future+classic
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2008, 11:53 AM   #72
fedinand
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lem144 View Post
I already have my room booked in DC to watch history being made.
He will have a lot of company with the newly elected democrats...there is going to be a bunch of them
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2008, 02:49 PM   #73
Couch
Colonel
Rep

Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to Couch
Quote:
Originally Posted by fedinand View Post
I read your posts and you seem like a smart guy, but some of your generalizations are pretty messed up - either you only know lazy poor people or your sample size is low (like 1)....remember when all your friends who happened to be minorities were in gangs? I work with parents daily who work 2 and 3 jobs to make it. I work with parents who cannot afford childcare and to feed their families and pay rent. I work with families who have been paying rent only to find out the owners (who live in the burbs) are not paying the mortgage and these families are getting evicted - even though they have been paying rent. You know what - they are not lazy and have an admirable work ethic. I'm sick of reading posts about people getting blamed for the mortgage disaster - when the victims have done all that they could only to find the landlords f'd up and now are taking their money and foreclosing on the property the "victims" call home. On my way to work - literally every other house is boarded up due to the mortgage mess. The folks who had lived in the homes and were paying rent are now homeless....and folks who don't have a clue are "assuming" they deserve this.
Wow, I forgot about our "gang" discussion. LOL. Good memory.

I think it has more to do with who and how many people we've come into contact with our lives. As I just went back and reread our discussion, you have a lot of one on one personal experience. So I know where you're coming from.

I'm not calling everyone in unfortunate financial situations lazy. I know that's not true at all. It came out badly, with poor word choice and explaination.

The mortgage disaster is a fault from all sides. It's people who wanted to live above their means, financial institutions not doing their job and loaning to anyone and everyone that walked through the door. As well as the landlords, etc, not doing their jobs appropriately and mismanaging everything.

Quote:
If the shoe doesn't fit don't be so quick to put it on. Read my post - I used and - The reference to you would be someone far removed the reference to welfare = ghetto was to a poster who posted welfare = ghetto in another post.

edit - this post:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...88&postcount=9
Sorry, my fault. I thought it was directed to me. I remember that post. Made me shake my head.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2008, 03:28 PM   #74
fedinand
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Wow, I forgot about our "gang" discussion. LOL. Good memory.

I think it has more to do with who and how many people we've come into contact with our lives. As I just went back and reread our discussion, you have a lot of one on one personal experience. So I know where you're coming from.

I'm not calling everyone in unfortunate financial situations lazy. I know that's not true at all. It came out badly, with poor word choice and explaination.

The mortgage disaster is a fault from all sides. It's people who wanted to live above their means, financial institutions not doing their job and loaning to anyone and everyone that walked through the door. As well as the landlords, etc, not doing their jobs appropriately and mismanaging everything.

Sorry, my fault. I thought it was directed to me. I remember that post. Made me shake my head.
No problem, I know I can be a SOB..but in your case - I wasn't trying to be one
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2008, 03:41 PM   #75
Couch
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
No problem, I know I can be a SOB..but in your case - I wasn't trying to be one
HAHA! You're not an SOB, we're just two people who have slightly different views in the politcal arena. We agree to disagree so to speak.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 09:32 AM   #76
BKsBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: 2006 330xi Titanium Silver

Garage List
2006 330xi  [5.00]
2006 330xi  [0.00]
WOW my hats off to both of you fedinand and couch. Seems civil discourse is alive and well. If only some others could follow your lead. Nice to see a conversation with honest disagreement without all the sarcasm, angry rhetoric and one upsmanship. I applaud both of you.
330xi/TiAg/Black/Alum/6sp/ZPP/ZSP/Nav/CA/CW/PDC/Sirius Satellite Radio/OEM Spoiler/Blacklines/19" Axis Hiro Hyper Silver/Toyo Proxes 4 Ultra High Performance all season F 235/35/19 R 265/30/19/10mm spacers F/15mm spacers R/M3 front bumber/M-tech rear bumper
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 09:46 AM   #77
Couch
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKsBimmer View Post
WOW my hats off to both of you fedinand and couch. Seems civil discourse is alive and well. If only some others could follow your lead. Nice to see a conversation with honest disagreement without all the sarcasm, angry rhetoric and one upsmanship. I applaud both of you.
Thanks. No big deal. It helps that Fer and I have had a lenghty discussion via PM around a year ago, which i forgot about. So we had a basic understanding of where each of us is coming from.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 10:06 AM   #78
335rocket
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2013 F30 328i sport

+1
      05-21-2008, 12:03 PM   #79
fedinand
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKsBimmer View Post
I know Couch is a good guy - that goes a long way.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 01:15 PM   #80
Couch
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
I know Couch is a good guy - that goes a long way.
Wow man, I truly appreciate those kind words. The same goes back to you.
:drinking:
Appreciate 0