BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-13-2008, 07:13 PM   #45
!Xoible
Banned
 
Drives: ....
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: .

Posts: 46,037
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 M3  [3.50]
2007 335i  [4.50]
2008 528i  [4.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganeil View Post
Whether you resent being called something is unimportant to me. The US does not have a planned economy and the economy is not managed from Washington.

No one in Washington decides which companies will be profitable and which ones will not, who will be hired or fired, who will invest in what company, etc... It simply does not happen that way.

We do not publish 5 year plans or set industrial policy. The President and his administration can have real impact through tax, monetary, and regulatory policy but that is the extent of it.
that's why i didnt wanna discuss this with u, coz ur on crack obviously. it's good shit though, u mind sending me some? is that the same crack bush was hooked on back in the day?
!Xoible is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-13-2008, 07:17 PM   #46
ganeil
Colonel
 
ganeil's Avatar
 
Drives: 328i Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Georgia

Posts: 2,050
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mantis View Post
that's why i didnt wanna discuss this with u, coz ur on crack obviously. it's good shit though, u mind sending me some? is that the same crack bush was hooked on back in the day?
I must assume you are incapable of engaging in this discussion in a thoughtful manner with intelligence, candor, and good will so I will wish you a good day.

Feel free to wallow in your ignorance.
__________________
_____________

1974 2002tii
1978 320i
2007 328i
ganeil is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-13-2008, 07:19 PM   #47
!Xoible
Banned
 
Drives: ....
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: .

Posts: 46,037
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 M3  [3.50]
2007 335i  [4.50]
2008 528i  [4.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganeil View Post
I must assume you are incapable of engaging in this discussion in a thoughtful manner with intelligence, candor, and good will so I will wish you a good day.

Feel free to wallow in your ignorance.
yes, im the redneck. i'll wallow in my ignorance. now this is about obama, take ur bush defense shit somewhere else. im sick of hearing the same shit for 8 years now
!Xoible is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-13-2008, 07:28 PM   #48
ATG
Major
 
ATG's Avatar
 
Drives: f30 328 xdrive, e90 335i gone
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Eastside

Posts: 1,058
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganeil View Post
Whether you resent being called something is unimportant to me. The US does not have a planned economy and the economy is not managed from Washington.

No one in Washington decides which companies will be profitable and which ones will not, who will be hired or fired, who will invest in what company, etc... It simply does not happen that way.

We do not publish 5 year plans or set industrial policy. The President and his administration can have real impact through tax, monetary, and regulatory policy but that is the extent of it.
Good tutorial.
ATG is offline   Cuba
0
Reply With Quote
      05-13-2008, 07:30 PM   #49
ganeil
Colonel
 
ganeil's Avatar
 
Drives: 328i Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Georgia

Posts: 2,050
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mantis View Post
yes, im the redneck. i'll wallow in my ignorance. now this is about obama, take ur bush defense shit somewhere else. im sick of hearing the same shit for 8 years now
How is an explanation of basic American governance a defense of Bush? This is not an issue of Bush or Obama or anyone else, no American President manages the economy. He is simply not empowered to do so.

Whether you are a redneck or not, I cannot say.
__________________
_____________

1974 2002tii
1978 320i
2007 328i
ganeil is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-13-2008, 08:01 PM   #50
lyndon_h
Lieutenant Colonel
 
lyndon_h's Avatar
 
Drives: e90
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Madagascar

Posts: 1,920
iTrader: (2)

So, back on topic. TC, you realize that Bill Clinton won the presidency with 88% of the black vote and about 39% of the white vote, right?
lyndon_h is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-13-2008, 08:08 PM   #51
lyndon_h
Lieutenant Colonel
 
lyndon_h's Avatar
 
Drives: e90
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Madagascar

Posts: 1,920
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndon_h View Post
So, back on topic. TC, you realize that Bill Clinton won the presidency with 88% of the black vote and about 39% of the white vote, right?
40% of the white vote
+90% of the black vote
+50% of the latino vote
----------------------
more than 50% of the popular vote

I really think McCain is toast. The Republicans have one hope, and thats to use fear tactics. McCain is simply not the politician he was 8 or even 4 years ago. He has given too much of himself in order to be the Republican nominee. Furthermore, i dont think McCain is witty enough to debate Obama or H.Clinton. This is why he asked Obama to debate in a town hall setting (it is less confrontational). McCain has made some serious and numerous mis-speaks over the last month or so. Now that the Democratic race is ending, hes going to have to be more careful in what he says because he will be called on it.

If you're reading this, you might think that i really dislike McCain. Its partly true. I used to REALLY respect him for standing for the things that he believes, but he has sold out.
lyndon_h is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-14-2008, 01:42 AM   #52
dr335is
Brigadier General
 
Drives: GTI
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Dallas, TX

Posts: 4,973
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinb501 View Post
I am not a socialist. You are. I do not expect the government to take care of me and solve all my problems. You do. I believe in lower taxes, limited government, and more individual responsibility. You do not. I believe that higher taxes have a negative effect on the economy.

I think if some people spent less time whining and more time working they would be a lot better off.
You see, that is your issue -- you have heard of these terms without understanding them. You believe socialis system that helps take care of the people (and mainly helps the low/middle class) is a bad thing, again, without understanding the basics. Again, typical of the republican that only cares about the rich, the rest is not important.

I am not asking gov't to rule my life and finances, but would definitely expect them to have some responsiblilities with the basics. We're the only developed country with no healthcare -- does not affect you while employed or living off your parents, but you realize how cruel it is once you experience unemployment...

As for your last statement -- there will never be enough jobs to employ everyone and type of jobs that can fit everyone. For example, a waiter at local Olive Garden is working his/her ass off, but cannot afford medical coverage. There are people out there still working for a min wage, how can they afford to go to doctor...or education for their families?

Your view is purely based on your social status that most likely does not apply to the vast majority of people in this country...
dr335is is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-14-2008, 08:52 AM   #53
flyinb501
Lieutenant
 
Drives: G35 Coupe, Dodge Ram
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Posts: 551
iTrader: (0)

[quote=dr325i;2664271]You see, that is your issue -- you have heard of these terms without understanding them. You believe socialis system that helps take care of the people (and mainly helps the low/middle class) is a bad thing, again, without understanding the basics. Again, typical of the republican that only cares about the rich, the rest is not important.

I am not asking gov't to rule my life and finances, but would definitely expect them to have some responsiblilities with the basics. We're the only developed country with no healthcare -- does not affect you while employed or living off your parents, but you realize how cruel it is once you experience unemployment...

[quote]


No I do not believe in redistribution of wealth, and I would consider myself middle class. So why would I suffer financially from these social systems if I am middle class? If what you say is true, I would stand to benefit.

In response to your healthcare statements, I had to provide my own health care during my last two years of college, and it was not that expensive at all. I now participate in a high deductible health plan through my employer, which means I basically pay for all of my own healthcare out of my own pocket. So please quit with your assumptions.
flyinb501 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-14-2008, 08:58 AM   #54
gonzo
Brigadier General
 
gonzo's Avatar
 
Drives: as many as possible
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: TeXXXas

Posts: 4,980
iTrader: (0)

^ Yup.
__________________
Crazy Diamond
gonzo is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-14-2008, 10:32 AM   #55
dr335is
Brigadier General
 
Drives: GTI
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Dallas, TX

Posts: 4,973
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinb501 View Post


No I do not believe in redistribution of wealth, and I would consider myself middle class. So why would I suffer financially from these social systems if I am middle class? If what you say is true, I would stand to benefit.

In response to your healthcare statements, I had to provide my own health care during my last two years of college, and it was not that expensive at all. I now participate in a high deductible health plan through my employer, which means I basically pay for all of my own healthcare out of my own pocket. So please quit with your assumptions.
What a stupid and EGOISTIC response. I, I , I... Do you really believe that the majority (a BIG majority) of people in this country is like YOU, and can afford what you can???
Do you really believe that $6k MRI, $15+k pregnancy, baby check-ups, $200 anti-biotics, $300/per vaccine for kids, and so on is "inexpensive" for the family of 4 that lives on $50k (middle class)???

AGAIN, how would you suffer socially/financially if we assume that the taxes would go up by a small amount??? As compared to a 400% gas increase, huge % of food increase, huge amount of energy increases that we've experienced during the "low tax" 8 years???

Also, do a little research that will show you that the average salaried raise last year was less than 4%, and inflation (including food + energy) was at least double that. So, on average, after inflation, Americans are making less than last year, and all that (most of it) indeed is because of the mad spending of the Government...
dr335is is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-14-2008, 12:11 PM   #56
Couch
Colonel
 
Couch's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Houston

Posts: 2,903
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to Couch
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr325i View Post
What a stupid and EGOISTIC response. I, I , I... Do you really believe that the majority (a BIG majority) of people in this country is like YOU, and can afford what you can???
Do you really believe that $6k MRI, $15+k pregnancy, baby check-ups, $200 anti-biotics, $300/per vaccine for kids, and so on is "inexpensive" for the family of 4 that lives on $50k (middle class)???

AGAIN, how would you suffer socially/financially if we assume that the taxes would go up by a small amount??? As compared to a 400% gas increase, huge % of food increase, huge amount of energy increases that we've experienced during the "low tax" 8 years???

Also, do a little research that will show you that the average salaried raise last year was less than 4%, and inflation (including food + energy) was at least double that. So, on average, after inflation, Americans are making less than last year, and all that (most of it) indeed is because of the mad spending of the Government...
Not going to neccesarily disagree with what you said. However, we need to quit giving money to people every month who refuse to work, or half ass the "work" they do. The welfare system is plagued dramatically.

I have several friends in contruction who use employment offices who hire and send out people that are in the lower rungs of the financial scale. They are asked to do something simple like sweep a concrete slab. They don't do it. They half-ass the job with one arm, or do something else to avoid working. Then ask for their pay before the day/week is over.

We need to put an end to giving out money for nothing. As well as put limits on the type of foods that can be bought on food stamps. No one should be buying steaks and beer, only necessities.
Couch is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-14-2008, 12:59 PM   #57
flyinb501
Lieutenant
 
Drives: G35 Coupe, Dodge Ram
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Posts: 551
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr325i View Post
What a stupid and EGOISTIC response. I, I , I... Do you really believe that the majority (a BIG majority) of people in this country is like YOU, and can afford what you can???
Do you really believe that $6k MRI, $15+k pregnancy, baby check-ups, $200 anti-biotics, $300/per vaccine for kids, and so on is "inexpensive" for the family of 4 that lives on $50k (middle class)???

AGAIN, how would you suffer socially/financially if we assume that the taxes would go up by a small amount??? As compared to a 400% gas increase, huge % of food increase, huge amount of energy increases that we've experienced during the "low tax" 8 years???

Also, do a little research that will show you that the average salaried raise last year was less than 4%, and inflation (including food + energy) was at least double that. So, on average, after inflation, Americans are making less than last year, and all that (most of it) indeed is because of the mad spending of the Government...

I was merely defending myself and using it as an example. You accused me of not paying for my own healthcare. During this time I had an MRI also. That is what health insurance for! I don't even know why I respond to you...

This "400% gas increase, huge % of food increase, huge amount of energy increases" you speak of is due to democratic policies. These increases will get worse under a democratic president. You dems are the ones that will not allow us to become energy independant by drilling and refining our own oil. Instead you want to use food (corn) for gasoline further increasing food and gas prices. You greenies are at fault for all these price increases.

I don't need to do any research about inflation. I am one of these "poor souls" that received less than a 4% raise last year, but I'm not going to sit here and cry about. Whoops sorry if my huge ego surfaced in another post...
flyinb501 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-14-2008, 02:24 PM   #58
lyndon_h
Lieutenant Colonel
 
lyndon_h's Avatar
 
Drives: e90
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Madagascar

Posts: 1,920
iTrader: (2)

The welfare system eats money, but it is not the problem as many Republican fear-mongers would have you believe. The war is problem. There will always be those less fortunate and those who need help. There will also be those who abuse the system. But the majority of the people will not. I'm sure that you guys heard that it is estimated that almost 10% of the population will be on some form of welfare in the next couple of years. Is this because people have all of a sudden become lazier during the last 8 years, or is it because the economy is tanking?
lyndon_h is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-19-2008, 09:06 AM   #59
LuisSF
Major
 
LuisSF's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 128i 6mt m-sport
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 1,462
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2007 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mantis View Post
im not worried about his chances in winning. im worried about the chances of him being shot next day
This isn't even close to being funny. I dislike Hillary and McCain the same, but I wouldn't joke about their own lives.
__________________
Would rather take the bus than drive an automatic.
2013 BMW 128i 6MT MGM/CR. M-sport/Premium/Cold, HK, Xenons, Fineline trim, Security System, BMW Assist, BMW SSK and PE. European Delivery 7-12-2013.
SOLD: 2007 BMW 328xi 6MT BSM/Terra
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...future+classic
LuisSF is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-19-2008, 09:10 AM   #60
LuisSF
Major
 
LuisSF's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 128i 6mt m-sport
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 1,462
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2007 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinb501 View Post

This "400% gas increase, huge % of food increase, huge amount of energy increases" you speak of is due to democratic policies. These increases will get worse under a democratic president. You dems are the ones that will not allow us to become energy independant by drilling and refining our own oil. Instead you want to use food (corn) for gasoline further increasing food and gas prices. You greenies are at fault for all these price increases.
It's not a Dem problem. Show me one Republican who wants another oil refinery in the own BACK YARD. All politics is local and you can preach refining our own oil until it comes time to doing it in you neighborhood. It's extremely hard to get those things, including power plants, approved.

It's not a liberal or conservative problem. It's a pollution problem that no one wants. It should be expensive - if you've had a basic economics course you'd know that externalities need to be accounted for, and energy produces expensive externalities. It's about time Americans had to pay for our actions.
__________________
Would rather take the bus than drive an automatic.
2013 BMW 128i 6MT MGM/CR. M-sport/Premium/Cold, HK, Xenons, Fineline trim, Security System, BMW Assist, BMW SSK and PE. European Delivery 7-12-2013.
SOLD: 2007 BMW 328xi 6MT BSM/Terra
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...future+classic
LuisSF is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-19-2008, 09:12 AM   #61
LuisSF
Major
 
LuisSF's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 128i 6mt m-sport
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 1,462
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2007 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Couch View Post
I have several friends in contruction who use employment offices who hire and send out people that are in the lower rungs of the financial scale. They are asked to do something simple like sweep a concrete slab. They don't do it. They half-ass the job with one arm, or do something else to avoid working. Then ask for their pay before the day/week is over.

We need to put an end to giving out money for nothing. As well as put limits on the type of foods that can be bought on food stamps. No one should be buying steaks and beer, only necessities.
Two things: If you don't pay people a good wage you won't get a quality workforce. On an equal measure, there are plenty of people who bust their ass for minimum wage to put food on their family's plate. You can't lump all low income earners into one group - that's simply being extremely biased.

Second, you can't buy beer with foodstamps - there are limits on what can be purchased.
__________________
Would rather take the bus than drive an automatic.
2013 BMW 128i 6MT MGM/CR. M-sport/Premium/Cold, HK, Xenons, Fineline trim, Security System, BMW Assist, BMW SSK and PE. European Delivery 7-12-2013.
SOLD: 2007 BMW 328xi 6MT BSM/Terra
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...future+classic
LuisSF is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-19-2008, 09:41 AM   #62
fedinand
Major
 
fedinand's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 X3, '11 GTI
Join Date: May 2007
Location: MN

Posts: 1,271
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lem144 View Post
Second, you can't buy beer with foodstamps - there are limits on what can be purchased.
It is sad - people are so far removed from what it is like to be the working poor, that comments like this (not yours - what you are responding to) and thinking welfare = ghetto (when most reciepient are white people), show how easy it is to mix in your bias and prejudices and then think it is an accurate opinion.
fedinand is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-19-2008, 09:44 AM   #63
fedinand
Major
 
fedinand's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 X3, '11 GTI
Join Date: May 2007
Location: MN

Posts: 1,271
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lem144 View Post
This isn't even close to being funny. I dislike Hillary and McCain the same, but I wouldn't joke about their own lives.
Search for Huchabee's little "pointing a gun at Obama" joke - the Repubs are showing their colors again...and I agree with you - not funny at all. I have friends who have older relatives who voted for Barack, and their biggest fear is this.
fedinand is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-19-2008, 09:49 AM   #64
LuisSF
Major
 
LuisSF's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 128i 6mt m-sport
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 1,462
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2007 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fedinand View Post
Search for Huchabee's little "pointing a gun at Obama" joke - the Repubs are showing their colors again...and I agree with you - not funny at all. I have friends who have older relatives who voted for Barack, and their biggest fear is this.
Oh I saw it and thought it was completely vile. I'm sure the NRA people were laughing their asses off. It's really sad how low-class Americans can be. Just as bad or worse than those we seem to despise overseas.

Patriotism in quotes only. Flag pins. What a disgrace.

I did see Huckster apologize, but still. Thinking that immediately just goes to show how close it is to people's true feelings. You can make jokes all you want, but off-the-cuff remarks show real feelings. What is it they say about gaffes? They reveal true feelings?
__________________
Would rather take the bus than drive an automatic.
2013 BMW 128i 6MT MGM/CR. M-sport/Premium/Cold, HK, Xenons, Fineline trim, Security System, BMW Assist, BMW SSK and PE. European Delivery 7-12-2013.
SOLD: 2007 BMW 328xi 6MT BSM/Terra
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...future+classic
LuisSF is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-19-2008, 10:00 AM   #65
Couch
Colonel
 
Couch's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Houston

Posts: 2,903
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to Couch
Quote:
Originally Posted by lem144 View Post
Two things: If you don't pay people a good wage you won't get a quality workforce. On an equal measure, there are plenty of people who bust their ass for minimum wage to put food on their family's plate. You can't lump all low income earners into one group - that's simply being extremely biased.

Second, you can't buy beer with foodstamps - there are limits on what can be purchased.
Well, I've seen it with my own eyes. Beer was scanned, food stamps were signed and handed to the cashier. No cash exchanged hands. So obviously the cashier fucked up. That's why I thought you could.

Not that I disagree with the "working wage" being low, but work ethic sucks. We all have to start out somewhere, the only way to get noticed and move up is to bust your ass and show you're proud to have a job.

And my parents never had it easy. My dad had to get a second job working nights painting buildings to put diapers on my ass and food on the table. He finally reached a point where he didn't have to.

I still stand by the point that the system is abused, needs reform, and that too many people expect hand outs. A friend of mine in college abused the unemployment system himself. Worse, his dad told him how to do it. And they weren't in hurt for money. It pissed me off. But he wound up distancing himself from all of us anyway and haven't heard from him in years.

There is a fine line somewhere to bring both sides (libs and conservs) together. Unforunately that will never be found because each side is too concerned with making sure their side has more power.
Couch is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-19-2008, 10:05 AM   #66
Couch
Colonel
 
Couch's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Houston

Posts: 2,903
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to Couch
Quote:
Originally Posted by fedinand View Post
It is sad - people are so far removed from what it is like to be the working poor, that comments like this (not yours - what you are responding to) and thinking welfare = ghetto (when most reciepient are white people), show how easy it is to mix in your bias and prejudices and then think it is an accurate opinion.
That's funny. I never ever said anything about white, black, yellow, purple. Why does race keep coming up, it's not an issue. Not for me anyway. Yet you make an attempt to say I was talking about a certain race.
Couch is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:20 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST