BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

GTB Performance

05-16-2008, 01:25 PM   #23
LuisBoston
Major

Drives: '13 128i 6mt m-sport

Garage List
2007 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganeil View Post
Quality health care will always be expensive. It takes a lot of time, energy, and money to train a doctor or develop a new medical technology or drug. As long as you expect modern, state of the art medical care, someone will have to pay for it. I would rather the decision as to the level of health care my family and I receive be in my hands as much as possible. I chose the coverage and procedures I am willing to pay for.

Why not? They have the tax base.

So you admit we have a world class university system that attracts those from overseas but you are unwilling to apply that model to the primary and secondary systems? How does that make sense?

Exactly which civil liberties do the "right wing" want to deny to gays? I would argue that the issue in abortion is protecting the most fundamental civil right, that of life.

I am also willing to be a little worse off so that others can be better off. That would be why I contribute to various charities. The difference is I am uncomfortable with making that decision for others while you have no problem with it.
Gays: Marriage.

Abortion: The right to tell someone else what to do with her own body. I don't like or agree with abortion, but I am a man and it's not my duty to tell a woman what to do with her body. Period. I don't want someone to tell me what to do with mine.

On the last part - it's fairness. If you leave everything up to charities then some will be left out. Our government should be structured so that everyone is lifted up without picking and choosing which subset of society we want to help out.

On Transportation taxes - take that up with your own state. Write or call your legislators instead of complaining on here.
      05-16-2008, 03:12 PM   #24
ganeil
Colonel

Drives: 328i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by lem144 View Post
There is not a state in the Union that sets up divergent standards for civil marriage based on sexual orientation and i know of no "right winger' who wishes for one to do so.

Quote:
Abortion: The right to tell someone else what to do with her own body. I don't like or agree with abortion, but I am a man and it's not my duty to tell a woman what to do with her body. Period. I don't want someone to tell me what to do with mine.
It is a fundamental in the natural law and common law theories of rights that a right exists only up to the point that it infringes on the right of another person. The right to do what one wishes with their body should be subject to the same limitation.

Quote:
On the last part - it's fairness. If you leave everything up to charities then some will be left out. Our government should be structured so that everyone is lifted up without picking and choosing which subset of society we want to help out.
Right, and government throughout history has never picked a subset to help at the expense of another.

You also have an interesting notion of what is fair. Taking something from someone who has sacrificed time and energy for it and giving it to someone else who for whatever reason has not sacrificed for it, is fair?

Quote:
On Transportation taxes - take that up with your own state. Write or call your legislators instead of complaining on here.
Did I miss something? Weren't you the one complaining about our decaying infrastructure?

1974 2002tii
1978 320i
2007 328i
ganeil is offline   United_States
      05-16-2008, 04:39 PM   #25
FirstClass
Brigadier General

Drives: 328xi

Quote:
As soon as she's carrying a child, it's not only her body anymore. If she doesn't want to have a child, don't have sex. Nobody gets pregnant accidentally. (Obviously rape should be excluded from anti-abortion legislation/amendments) The thing that really amuses me is it's murder in most states if someone kills an unborn child but it's perfectly legal for the mother to kill it.
Quote:
Our government should be structured so that everyone is lifted up without picking and choosing which subset of society we want to help out.
The country should be set up so that anyone, through hard work and dedication, can lift themselves out. I don't want the government elevating people who can't get the job done. Simple example, everyone has a few affirmative action (be it women or racial minorities) people at their workplace who everyone knows aren't up to muster, but need to be there so it doesn't look like the company is being discriminatory, then when you finally do fire them, they sue you for discrimination even though you have mountains of evidence they weren't getting the job done.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by answers.com
marriage (măr'ĭj)
n.
The legal union of a man and woman as husband and wife.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
      05-19-2008, 09:17 AM   #26
LuisBoston
Major

Garage List
2007 328xi  [0.00]
I do not want the government involved in a private medical decision. Doctors take a Hypocratic Oath and are more qualified to make a decision for a pregnant mother than the mother or myself, or some wingnut who was elected by a bunch of morons. It's not our decision to make. Doctor's do not take these things lightly, as they shouldn't, but it's not a right we should restrict. I believe that abortion should be rare, but legal. With proper education (not abstinence only which is unrealistic), many unwanted pregnancies can be reduced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstClass View Post
As soon as she's carrying a child, it's not only her body anymore. If she doesn't want to have a child, don't have sex. Nobody gets pregnant accidentally. (Obviously rape should be excluded from anti-abortion legislation/amendments) The thing that really amuses me is it's murder in most states if someone kills an unborn child but it's perfectly legal for the mother to kill it.
      05-19-2008, 12:15 PM   #27
FirstClass
Brigadier General

Quote:
I do not want the government involved in a private medical decision. Doctors take a Hypocratic Oath and are more qualified to make a decision for a pregnant mother than the mother or myself, or some wingnut who was elected by a bunch of morons. It's not our decision to make. Doctor's do not take these things lightly, as they shouldn't, but it's not a right we should restrict. I believe that abortion should be rare, but legal. With proper education (not abstinence only which is unrealistic), many unwanted pregnancies can be reduced.
You just agreed with me I think. The only way to make abortion rare and only used when necessary is to outlaw it except in cases of rape or the health of the mother. Otherwise people will continue to wrongfully end tens of millions of lives needlessly.

Quote:
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
      05-19-2008, 12:26 PM   #28
LuisBoston
Major

Garage List
2007 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
You just agreed with me I think. The only way to make abortion rare and only used when necessary is to outlaw it except in cases of rape or the health of the mother. Otherwise people will continue to wrongfully end tens of millions of lives needlessly.
No, I did not agree with that. Outlawing it takes the decision away from Doctors who have their own standards. The decision is between the woman/father and her doctor.
      05-19-2008, 02:14 PM   #29
FirstClass
Brigadier General

Quote:
No, I did not agree with that. Outlawing it takes the decision away from Doctors who have their own standards. The decision is between the woman/father and her doctor.
The decision has absolutely nothing to do with doctors right now. Making it illegal unless a doctor determined it was necessary to save the mother's life would put the decision into doctors hands, not take it away. Right now it's up to the mother.

Quote:
      05-19-2008, 02:17 PM   #30
LuisBoston
Major

Garage List
2007 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
The decision has absolutely nothing to do with doctors right now. Making it illegal unless a doctor determined it was necessary to save the mother's life would put the decision into doctors hands, not take it away. Right now it's up to the mother.
Not if the Dr somehow felt that later on he *could* be charged with murder if someone else found some other wacko that disagreed with his diagnosis, suing him for malpractice. This would effectively tie doctors' hands behind their backs and many would be afraid to perform a medically necessary procedure.

You put those kinds of restrictions on it and you open a pandora's box. Soon you enter a period of wire hangars. Would you want your daughter to be afraid to tell you something like this and go off seeking something unsafe with someone else?
      05-23-2008, 06:01 PM   #31
dr335is
Brigadier General

Drives: GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by hands on View Post
this guy's complaining about $1800, dude just shut up and cash your check
grow up and you'll understand what I'm talking about...dude...
      05-24-2008, 02:26 PM   #32
Supraman 1
I promise I will play nice

Drives: M3 with orange peel

Originally Posted by Supraman
I think the checks are bullshit, I am not getting one because I make too much money. Think about it, I pay more taxes and get screwed for working hard.

This is true my brother.