BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion
 
GTB Performance
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-16-2008, 01:25 PM   #23
LuisBoston
Major
 
LuisBoston's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 128i 6mt m-sport
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Boston

Posts: 1,464
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2007 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganeil View Post
Quality health care will always be expensive. It takes a lot of time, energy, and money to train a doctor or develop a new medical technology or drug. As long as you expect modern, state of the art medical care, someone will have to pay for it. I would rather the decision as to the level of health care my family and I receive be in my hands as much as possible. I chose the coverage and procedures I am willing to pay for.



Why not? They have the tax base.



So you admit we have a world class university system that attracts those from overseas but you are unwilling to apply that model to the primary and secondary systems? How does that make sense?



Exactly which civil liberties do the "right wing" want to deny to gays? I would argue that the issue in abortion is protecting the most fundamental civil right, that of life.



I am also willing to be a little worse off so that others can be better off. That would be why I contribute to various charities. The difference is I am uncomfortable with making that decision for others while you have no problem with it.
Gays: Marriage.

Abortion: The right to tell someone else what to do with her own body. I don't like or agree with abortion, but I am a man and it's not my duty to tell a woman what to do with her body. Period. I don't want someone to tell me what to do with mine.

On the last part - it's fairness. If you leave everything up to charities then some will be left out. Our government should be structured so that everyone is lifted up without picking and choosing which subset of society we want to help out.

On Transportation taxes - take that up with your own state. Write or call your legislators instead of complaining on here.
__________________
Would rather take the bus than drive an automatic.
2013 BMW 128i 6MT MGM/CR. M-sport/Premium/Cold, HK, Xenons, Fineline trim, Security System, BMW Assist, BMW SSK and PE. European Delivery 7-12-2013.
SOLD: 2007 BMW 328xi 6MT BSM/Terra
LuisBoston is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-16-2008, 03:12 PM   #24
ganeil
Colonel
 
ganeil's Avatar
 
Drives: 328i Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Georgia

Posts: 2,050
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lem144 View Post
Gays: Marriage.
There is not a state in the Union that sets up divergent standards for civil marriage based on sexual orientation and i know of no "right winger' who wishes for one to do so.

Quote:
Abortion: The right to tell someone else what to do with her own body. I don't like or agree with abortion, but I am a man and it's not my duty to tell a woman what to do with her body. Period. I don't want someone to tell me what to do with mine.
It is a fundamental in the natural law and common law theories of rights that a right exists only up to the point that it infringes on the right of another person. The right to do what one wishes with their body should be subject to the same limitation.

Quote:
On the last part - it's fairness. If you leave everything up to charities then some will be left out. Our government should be structured so that everyone is lifted up without picking and choosing which subset of society we want to help out.
Right, and government throughout history has never picked a subset to help at the expense of another.

You also have an interesting notion of what is fair. Taking something from someone who has sacrificed time and energy for it and giving it to someone else who for whatever reason has not sacrificed for it, is fair?

Quote:
On Transportation taxes - take that up with your own state. Write or call your legislators instead of complaining on here.
Did I miss something? Weren't you the one complaining about our decaying infrastructure?
__________________
_____________

1974 2002tii
1978 320i
2007 328i
ganeil is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-16-2008, 04:39 PM   #25
FirstClass
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 328xi
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Posts: 3,199
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lem144 View Post
Abortion: The right to tell someone else what to do with her own body. I don't like or agree with abortion, but I am a man and it's not my duty to tell a woman what to do with her body. Period. I don't want someone to tell me what to do with mine.
As soon as she's carrying a child, it's not only her body anymore. If she doesn't want to have a child, don't have sex. Nobody gets pregnant accidentally. (Obviously rape should be excluded from anti-abortion legislation/amendments) The thing that really amuses me is it's murder in most states if someone kills an unborn child but it's perfectly legal for the mother to kill it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lem144 View Post
Our government should be structured so that everyone is lifted up without picking and choosing which subset of society we want to help out.
The country should be set up so that anyone, through hard work and dedication, can lift themselves out. I don't want the government elevating people who can't get the job done. Simple example, everyone has a few affirmative action (be it women or racial minorities) people at their workplace who everyone knows aren't up to muster, but need to be there so it doesn't look like the company is being discriminatory, then when you finally do fire them, they sue you for discrimination even though you have mountains of evidence they weren't getting the job done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lem144 View Post
Gays: Marriage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by answers.com
marriage (măr'ĭj)
n.
The legal union of a man and woman as husband and wife.
__________________
328xi Coupe, Montego Blue on Black with Alum, Step, Sport, Premium, CA, PDC, Cold Weather (Damn Pennsylvania winters)
Current Mods: Heavy right foot - Planned Mods: Lightweight right foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
FirstClass is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-19-2008, 09:17 AM   #26
LuisBoston
Major
 
LuisBoston's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 128i 6mt m-sport
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Boston

Posts: 1,464
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2007 328xi  [0.00]
I do not want the government involved in a private medical decision. Doctors take a Hypocratic Oath and are more qualified to make a decision for a pregnant mother than the mother or myself, or some wingnut who was elected by a bunch of morons. It's not our decision to make. Doctor's do not take these things lightly, as they shouldn't, but it's not a right we should restrict. I believe that abortion should be rare, but legal. With proper education (not abstinence only which is unrealistic), many unwanted pregnancies can be reduced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstClass View Post
As soon as she's carrying a child, it's not only her body anymore. If she doesn't want to have a child, don't have sex. Nobody gets pregnant accidentally. (Obviously rape should be excluded from anti-abortion legislation/amendments) The thing that really amuses me is it's murder in most states if someone kills an unborn child but it's perfectly legal for the mother to kill it.
__________________
Would rather take the bus than drive an automatic.
2013 BMW 128i 6MT MGM/CR. M-sport/Premium/Cold, HK, Xenons, Fineline trim, Security System, BMW Assist, BMW SSK and PE. European Delivery 7-12-2013.
SOLD: 2007 BMW 328xi 6MT BSM/Terra
LuisBoston is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-19-2008, 12:15 PM   #27
FirstClass
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 328xi
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Posts: 3,199
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lem144 View Post
I do not want the government involved in a private medical decision. Doctors take a Hypocratic Oath and are more qualified to make a decision for a pregnant mother than the mother or myself, or some wingnut who was elected by a bunch of morons. It's not our decision to make. Doctor's do not take these things lightly, as they shouldn't, but it's not a right we should restrict. I believe that abortion should be rare, but legal. With proper education (not abstinence only which is unrealistic), many unwanted pregnancies can be reduced.
You just agreed with me I think. The only way to make abortion rare and only used when necessary is to outlaw it except in cases of rape or the health of the mother. Otherwise people will continue to wrongfully end tens of millions of lives needlessly.
__________________
328xi Coupe, Montego Blue on Black with Alum, Step, Sport, Premium, CA, PDC, Cold Weather (Damn Pennsylvania winters)
Current Mods: Heavy right foot - Planned Mods: Lightweight right foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
FirstClass is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-19-2008, 12:26 PM   #28
LuisBoston
Major
 
LuisBoston's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 128i 6mt m-sport
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Boston

Posts: 1,464
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2007 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstClass View Post
You just agreed with me I think. The only way to make abortion rare and only used when necessary is to outlaw it except in cases of rape or the health of the mother. Otherwise people will continue to wrongfully end tens of millions of lives needlessly.
No, I did not agree with that. Outlawing it takes the decision away from Doctors who have their own standards. The decision is between the woman/father and her doctor.
__________________
Would rather take the bus than drive an automatic.
2013 BMW 128i 6MT MGM/CR. M-sport/Premium/Cold, HK, Xenons, Fineline trim, Security System, BMW Assist, BMW SSK and PE. European Delivery 7-12-2013.
SOLD: 2007 BMW 328xi 6MT BSM/Terra
LuisBoston is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-19-2008, 02:14 PM   #29
FirstClass
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 328xi
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Posts: 3,199
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lem144 View Post
No, I did not agree with that. Outlawing it takes the decision away from Doctors who have their own standards. The decision is between the woman/father and her doctor.
The decision has absolutely nothing to do with doctors right now. Making it illegal unless a doctor determined it was necessary to save the mother's life would put the decision into doctors hands, not take it away. Right now it's up to the mother.
__________________
328xi Coupe, Montego Blue on Black with Alum, Step, Sport, Premium, CA, PDC, Cold Weather (Damn Pennsylvania winters)
Current Mods: Heavy right foot - Planned Mods: Lightweight right foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
FirstClass is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-19-2008, 02:17 PM   #30
LuisBoston
Major
 
LuisBoston's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 128i 6mt m-sport
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Boston

Posts: 1,464
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2007 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstClass View Post
The decision has absolutely nothing to do with doctors right now. Making it illegal unless a doctor determined it was necessary to save the mother's life would put the decision into doctors hands, not take it away. Right now it's up to the mother.
Not if the Dr somehow felt that later on he *could* be charged with murder if someone else found some other wacko that disagreed with his diagnosis, suing him for malpractice. This would effectively tie doctors' hands behind their backs and many would be afraid to perform a medically necessary procedure.

You put those kinds of restrictions on it and you open a pandora's box. Soon you enter a period of wire hangars. Would you want your daughter to be afraid to tell you something like this and go off seeking something unsafe with someone else?
__________________
Would rather take the bus than drive an automatic.
2013 BMW 128i 6MT MGM/CR. M-sport/Premium/Cold, HK, Xenons, Fineline trim, Security System, BMW Assist, BMW SSK and PE. European Delivery 7-12-2013.
SOLD: 2007 BMW 328xi 6MT BSM/Terra
LuisBoston is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-23-2008, 06:01 PM   #31
dr335is
Brigadier General
 
Drives: GTI
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Dallas, TX

Posts: 4,973
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hands on View Post
this guy's complaining about $1800, dude just shut up and cash your check
grow up and you'll understand what I'm talking about...dude...
dr335is is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-24-2008, 02:26 PM   #32
Supraman 1
I promise I will play nice
 
Supraman 1's Avatar
 
Drives: M3 with orange peel
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Your mom knows

Posts: 10
iTrader: (0)

Originally Posted by Supraman
I think the checks are bullshit, I am not getting one because I make too much money. Think about it, I pay more taxes and get screwed for working hard.



This is true my brother.
Supraman 1 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:49 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST