BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 Photos/Video/Media Gallery

BPM Sport

04-23-2008, 03:38 AM   #1
trah23
Private First Class

Drives: infinity Q45, 08 corvette z06

Jerez and Jet black hide lines/details of car?

Im thinking of switching from alpine white to jerez, however im worried the details of the car will be hidden because of the dark color.

I really do like jerez, but if it makes it harder to distinguish the key aspects (bump on hood, fenders, sideskirts) which make the M3 look so awesome, id rather stick to alpine white.

I know quite a few people on this forum already have jerez & jet black M3's while others have had at least a glimpse of it in person, id really appreciate whatever feedback ull can give, my timetable for making changes to my order is gettin shorter and shorter.
      04-23-2008, 03:44 AM   #2
Big Windy
Major General

Drives: audi s4

Garage List
you're going to have to determine this one for yourself. yeah, white or silver will do a great job at showing the lines, but the darker colors are awesome looking too. take a look through the picture forums and decide what is best for you.
Big Windy is offline   United_States
      04-23-2008, 03:53 AM   #3
trah23
Private First Class

Trust me, I must have looked at about every jerez M3 pic on this forum, and the only M3 ive seen in person was blue (nice looking though), but im just not certain at what to select at the moment.
      04-23-2008, 04:21 AM   #4
Big Windy
Major General

Garage List
i don't own JzB, but i don't think it hides the lines of the car. you're definitely going to be able to see all of the main features, but you might lose some detail on smaller features like the running panels or on the side of the car. wish i could you pick...but you are kinda on your own. both colors look great.
      04-23-2008, 06:27 AM   #5
RandyB
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: '03 330i, '09 M3 Coupe

I think all of the latest BMW models don't look near as good as the lighter ones for this very reason. Of course in the right lighting they look great, but the lighter colors look that way almost all of the time. Maybe I'm just looking for an excuse to finally get a white car?
RandyB is offline   United_States
      04-23-2008, 08:09 AM   #6
lotus_enzo
Animal Chin Search Party

Drives: 2006 Lotus

My last two e46 M3s were jet black and, though they looked mean, they did hide the lines of the car. I'm going for AW this time because of this very reason.
      04-23-2008, 08:14 AM   #7
Bama M3
First Lieutenant

Drives: 13 Z4 28i

I think space grey does the best job of highlighting the various lines and features of the car. It seems to create shadows along the creases, vents, etc., anywhere on the car. SSII and AW have a similar effect, but it's less noticable (especially on AW). And like some other posters have mentioned, sometimes the lines are harder to see on darker colors.

But the good news is the M3 looks hot in all the available colors, so I don't think you'll be unhappy with whatever you choose.
Bama M3 is offline   United_States
      04-23-2008, 08:58 AM   #8
JEllis
Brigadier General

Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3

To be honest I was pretty dissapointed with Jerez in person. In the showroom light it looked purple at times which really turned me off. I think Jet Black is a sexy color on this car but it will hide some of the lines. Obviously the lighter colors are going to show some of the creases a little more. I dont think its an accident that BMW chose Alpine and SSII for their brochure.

Jason
      04-23-2008, 12:47 PM   #9
nMd
Chick

Drives: e92 M3

What about space grey or sparkling graphite? They are inbetween black and white, and both show the lines pretty well... Im kinda wishing I hadn't got white now... Everyone has a damn white one. Nobody had white e46m3 and it was kinda unique... but now everyone seems to be getting e92 m3 in white..lame.

Don't you guys know that white is a girl's color!!!

my photography
      04-23-2008, 12:52 PM   #10
Bastet
Second Lieutenant

Drives: M3 E92 aka 'Batmobile'

I mean is this not a sexy color or what ?

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...26&postcount=9

Or am I just being a proud owner of a Jerez Black here ?
Bastet is offline   Belgium
      04-23-2008, 02:22 PM   #11
trah23
Private First Class

no doubt your car looks sweet, jerez in of itself is a awesome color, but again i dont want the color of a car to overshadow the details of the body...
      04-23-2008, 03:00 PM   #12
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics

Drives: E92M3 RS46 Club Sport, others

Saw a Jerez Black in the dealership the other day, the owner of that car kept staring back and forth at his an mine (AW), he then walked over and said to his friend, the car “definitely looks better in white”. I concur! Enough said.
      04-23-2008, 03:06 PM   #13
ananta19
Private

Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-M-Mexico View Post
Saw a Jerez Black in the dealership the other day, the owner of that car kept staring back and forth at his an mine (AW), he then walked over and said to his friend, the car “definitely looks better in white”. I concur! Enough said.

wow this is funny. i spent about all week last week on this forum going back and forth endlessly on what color to choose...FINALLY i went to the dealership Friday ready to order Jerez....they brought a sample jerez coupe out..and I was so turned off...even the SA was like...dude white is way better...i was like what the hell? go fetch a white....and next thing u know i was in love........
      04-23-2008, 04:52 PM   #14
SS32
Major

Drives: 2008 M3

The only, and I mean only reason I would think about getting white would be the fact that it doesn't show dirt, and the contrast with the roof. Aside from that, JZB is an AMAZING color. The blue shows through a lot more than I thought it would, but it's definitely not a bad thing. I've had numerous people ask me what color it is. I tell them black, and then they ask why it looks dark blue. Under an overcast sky, it's jet black. In direct sunlight, it's dark blue. On a cloudy day, it's both. I absolutely love it.

Have a look here, and tell me if it hides the body lines
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135483

I promise, if you see it in person, you will love it. Also, keep in mind that white is the #1 most common color on a car
      04-23-2008, 05:03 PM   #15
Keto
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [5.00]
If you choose Jerez be ready to keep it polished. The blue in my Carbon Black really needs a good polish with the random orbital (and then Zaino or your favorite sealant/wax of choice) to make it stand out.
V1 Savvy hardwired : Self-coded, will code locally for beer or food
Keto is offline   United_States
      04-23-2008, 07:28 PM   #16
rick berry
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2015 M4 DCT/ 2014 750li

I agree with cowmoo32. Jerez with the 19" makes the car look low and mean to me. White shows the lines and small details better. But I wanted a car that looked GREAT at night and on sunny days. Jerez does both in my opinion.But opinions are like......In the end the decision is up to the individual. Get whatever color YOU want.
      04-23-2008, 07:36 PM   #17
Vegasmach1
Private

Drives: 09 C63;Mustang Mach1(2)

Garage List
I have been struggling with the very same issue. I want to showcase the car and its design to its maximum potential. So after countless hours looking over this site we have decided upon Silver Stone. After finally seeing one in person this past weekend, I was sold. The color off-set with the CF roof and tinted windows make a great combo IMHO.
I originally wanted Jerzy Black (blue) but in the bright Vegas sunlight, to bluish for my taste.
Now which interior.............

Last edited by Vegasmach1; 04-23-2008 at 07:41 PM. Reason: add
      04-23-2008, 07:51 PM   #18
sayemthree
Brigadier General

Drives: bmw

are you kidding. to me JB is hawt! looks mean like a stealth fighter.

04-23-2008, 10:35 PM   #19
Mx3
M

Drives: 08.SpaceGry.DCT.19's,Tech,+

Here's BMW take/spin on some of the different M colors. This is a section from the original press release from BMW M3 on page 13.

Special M body colours adding a further touch of exclusivity.
The new BMW M3 is available with a choice of no less than four M metallic paintwork options giving particular emphasis to the interaction of the body surfaces, the contours and proportions of the car. Coming with a light shimmering effect, Melbourne Red, for example, combines unique brilliance and colour depth. Jerez Black, on the other hand, boasts blue pearl pigments to again provide unique highlights and unprecedented appeal. Powerful Interlagos Blue, in turn, incorporates red colour pigments to provide a highly attractive interaction of blue and violet from various angles.
The fourth colour already well known from the BMW M5 and BMW M6 is Silverstone, a light silver colour with a slight touch of blue.
In addition, the new BMW M3 is available in both Alpine White and Black as well as Sparkling Graphite and Space Grey metallic, all body colours highlighting either the technical and sporting character of the car or its superior
and elegant look.
      04-24-2008, 01:49 AM   #20
Big Windy
Major General

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayemthree View Post
are you kidding. to me JB is hawt! looks mean like a stealth fighter.

pretty sure that is JB not JzB. Either way, you are right that it looks hot.
      04-24-2008, 02:41 AM   #21
trah23
Private First Class

Im just gonna go ahead and admit it, i pussied out today and took the safe route, alpine white, I was considering jerezblack cause everyone else seems to be gettin white, but i doubt too many of ull live in houston so hell i went with it.
      04-24-2008, 02:47 AM   #22
Big Windy
Major General

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by trah23 View Post
Im just gonna go ahead and admit it, i pussied out today and took the safe route, alpine white, I was considering jerezblack cause everyone else seems to be gettin white, but i doubt too many of ull live in houston so hell i went with it.
AW is still a great choice. A lot of people are getting jerez black too. But who cares...you should get what color you like. So if you like AW, congrats! It will look great.