BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

GT Haus

05-13-2008, 02:29 PM   #23
gigz
Private
United_States

Drives: 335xi

Send a message via Skype™ to gigz
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD Addict View Post
Never has is NOT a fact. 500lbs of yellowcake stored after the 91 invasion wasn't being used for fireworks, I promise you that. The fact they were protecting that reserve, along with various new centrifuge design and engineering documents, all found shortly after we invaded, ought to tell you that there was plenty going on with Sadaam and WMDs.

How about the 100's of chemical payload rockets found that exceeded UN mandated ranges?

How about the antigen syringes found on Sadaam's personal police specifically to counter VX nerve gas?

How about the centrifuge tubes found?

If you're gullible enough to think Sadaam didn't want to have WMDs, and wasn't conspiring to get them, you're probably not qualified to speak on the subject. Hussein was a ruthless dictator, bent on destroying anything related to the West, or more simply, anything that differed from his own goals.
http://www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/rls/18714.htm
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 09:38 PM   #24
dr335is
Brigadier General

Drives: GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD Addict View Post
Never has is NOT a fact. 500lbs of yellowcake stored after the 91 invasion wasn't being used for fireworks, I promise you that. The fact they were protecting that reserve, along with various new centrifuge design and engineering documents, all found shortly after we invaded, ought to tell you that there was plenty going on with Sadaam and WMDs.

How about the 100's of chemical payload rockets found that exceeded UN mandated ranges?

How about the antigen syringes found on Sadaam's personal police specifically to counter VX nerve gas?

How about the centrifuge tubes found?

If you're gullible enough to think Sadaam didn't want to have WMDs, and wasn't conspiring to get them, you're probably not qualified to speak on the subject. Hussein was a ruthless dictator, bent on destroying anything related to the West, or more simply, anything that differed from his own goals.
See underlined:
Actually -- isn't that who BUSH is??? Didn't he prove it to the whole world while Saddam actually did not have a chance to prove your claims against the West -- so those can only be myths or Gov't Propaganda... Bush openly said in one of his 6th grader speaches -- "You're either with me or with the Enemy" -- completely proves what you described above...

As for the "ruthless killer" speach -- we have heard it enough before the invasion and we all agreed tha he was far from an angel -- but to his OWN people -- he never hurt the US, or Britain, or Korea... He never (aparently also proven) did plan on doing things like that...
Unfortunately, there are many other "ruthless killers" out there, and some of them openly DID develop the nuke (NK) but we don't care because they don't have what we want...

As for the EMPTY rusty shells, and some VX gas and so on...that is a plain joke. THe amounts we found are probably in posession of 80% of the governments out there. The empty rusty shells are no evidence of any plans.

Our government lied, lied, lied. Collin Powel was ordered to show the power point slides of sure locations of the WMD factories that NEVER existed, or never were found. Do you really believe that it is possible to hide a WMD factory overnight with no traces. If you do, you need more reading to do... Then we lied about SH connection to Al Qaeda that was also proven as wrong... And so on.

What you put above is the old news, that do not justify 1% what we did to the Sovereign State that was no threat to us and without any UN approval. Someone should be responsible for that and for the deaths of hundreds of thousands of innocent Iraqis that would have been alive without Bush's little experiment, and for the lives of 4100 of our soldiers...
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2008, 03:13 PM   #25
caudalM3
United_States

Drives: 2008 AW M3 6MT

Ganeil,

I applaud you for your belief in your viewpoints and your ability to stand up to criticism!

However, I have to question if your viewpoints exist in the real world or an idealized world. I can go to Iraq, call myself the Iraqi goverment, pass a whole lot of appropriations and laws and say that 'we' are doing our part. The unfortunate reality is that the Iraqi goverment is not respected or supported outside of the US created safe zone and exists and operates in that small piece of land only. Outside of that area Iraq is a locally governed country, that is why US soldiers are being deployed to new 'hot spots' all the time -- ie. the local people/decision makers have some problem with some issue and decide to cause a ruccus. We have not yet reached the stage where there is unified goverment in Iraq and where laws passed or funding and appropriations have any kind of meaning in the real world.

But those 'FACT's do sound good on a piece of paper as a political talking point. I, along with many, would actualy hope there was real substance to them 'on the ground' in Iraq. We simply are not yet to that stage yet.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2008, 02:48 PM   #26
ganeil
Colonel
United_States

Drives: 328i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by caudalM3 View Post
Ganeil,

I applaud you for your belief in your viewpoints and your ability to stand up to criticism!

However, I have to question if your viewpoints exist in the real world or an idealized world. I can go to Iraq, call myself the Iraqi goverment, pass a whole lot of appropriations and laws and say that 'we' are doing our part. The unfortunate reality is that the Iraqi goverment is not respected or supported outside of the US created safe zone and exists and operates in that small piece of land only. Outside of that area Iraq is a locally governed country, that is why US soldiers are being deployed to new 'hot spots' all the time -- ie. the local people/decision makers have some problem with some issue and decide to cause a ruccus. We have not yet reached the stage where there is unified goverment in Iraq and where laws passed or funding and appropriations have any kind of meaning in the real world.

But those 'FACT's do sound good on a piece of paper as a political talking point. I, along with many, would actualy hope there was real substance to them 'on the ground' in Iraq. We simply are not yet to that stage yet.
Where are you getting these impressions? The Iraqi government operates over vast ares of the country where there are currently no US troops. They recently launched an offensive to gain control of Basra, Iraq's second largest city. That effort has been generally successful with minimum US involvement.

What is currently evolving in Iraq is much different than what existed there before. It is a bottom up approach to governing that leaves quite a bit of power at the local level and only what is needed at the national level. I happen to believe that is a good thing.

1974 2002tii
1978 320i
2007 328i
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2008, 12:47 AM   #27
neuzpeed
Captain

Drives: 335i AW Coupe zpp,zsp,ca, nav,

I'm no expert on this war or on politics itself but after watching the documentary "NO END IN SIGHT" which everybody should watch. I come to realized that we fucked up big time in post iraq and our policy implemented after arriving in iraq. It's great that progress is coming about. However, it could have happen a lot sooner if we had a plan in place for post iraq and those who were in charge had more military and war experience to direct the course of action. With all the distrust in our govt lately it is hard for people to see through the lies and what little truth exist is badly tarnished that no one will believe it anymore.

AW e92 coupe/saddle brown leather/Strep/19" Iforge Drifts/painted reflectors/oem aero lip
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2008, 11:14 PM   #28
samwoo2go
Banned

Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganeil View Post
1. MYTH: The American people are footing the bill for Iraq’s security and reconstruction while Iraqis sit on large windfall oil profits.

FACT: The Iraqi government is taking over the funding of reconstruction. In 2008, Iraq’s budget for large-scale reconstruction projects exceeds that proposed by the U.S. by more than 10 to 1, and the U.S. military expects that Iraq will soon cover 100 percent of such expenses.

FACT: Iraq's security ministries are now spending more on their security forces than the U.S., and Iraq’s 2008 budget provides for more than 75% of the total annual cost for Iraq’s military and police.

FACT: The government of Iraq has committed to footing approximately half the bill for the “Sons of Iraq” community watch program—which was originally 100% U.S.-funded.

FACT: Iraq’s Ambassador to the U.S., Samir Sumaida'ie, says that Iraq still has to import gasoline, and argues that “some people are going a little bit too far looking at the Iraqi surplus and the gigantic American deficit and putting two and two together … The windfall from the oil will not cover a fraction of what we need to provide clean water, electricity and the most rudimentary services for our people.”

2. MYTH: “It's no big deal” if Congress fails to pass a war supplemental bill by Memorial Day.

FACT: According to Admiral Michael Mullen, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff: “We need [the supplemental appropriations bill] very badly before the Memorial Day recess. We stop paying soldiers on the 15th of June and we have precious little flexibility with respect to that … Clearly that creates incredible constraints and difficulties for us.”

3. MYTH: The Iraqi government has not taken advantage of reduced violence by making political progress.

FACT: Since September 2007, Iraq's parliament has passed significant legislation dealing with reconciliation and nation building, including:

o A pension law

o De-Ba’athification reform

o An amnesty law

o A provincial powers law

o Changes to the design of the Iraqi flag to remove Saddam-era additions

o A 2008 budget that includes record amounts for capital and security expenditures

FACT: Recently passed legislation is already having an effect. For example, the amnesty law passed in February has already led to the release of Iraqis who were under detention for non-serious crimes.

FACT: The national government is sharing oil revenues with provinces despite the lack of a framework hydrocarbons and revenue-sharing law.

4. MYTH: The U.S. is negotiating a back-door treaty with Iraq’s government that will tie the hands of future Presidents.

FACT: The United Nations authorization under which U.S. military and civilian personnel in Iraq are legally serving will expire on December 31, 2008. U.S. and Iraqi officials are therefore seeking a “strategic framework” that would provide legal protections and establish a long-term relationship between the two countries after that date.

FACT: In 2007, Iraq’s leaders asked the U.S. to move to a more normalized bilateral relationship, instead of the special case managed by the U.N.

FACT: The framework U.S. and Iraqi officials are now discussing would in no way limit or affect the military and diplomatic options the next President will have under the U.S. Constitution.

FACT: Any strategic framework would be similar to the agreement the U.S. now has with Afghanistan and much like the conventional peacetime agreements the U.S. has with dozens of other countries.

FACT: It is unclear what would happen to more than 20,000 detainees now under U.S. custody if the U.N. authorization expired on December 31 with no strategic framework in place.

FACT: The United States does not seek and will not seek permanent bases in Iraq, and any framework would affirm this principle.

5. MYTH: Iraqis are not defending their country.

FACT: As General David Petraeus testified in April, Iraqis are increasingly in the fight, recently incurring losses three times the level of Coalition losses.

FACT: Iraqi soldiers, police, and volunteers are securing their nation in increasing numbers. According to General Petraeus, more than 540,000 individuals serve in Iraq’s Security Forces, with more than 133,000 soldiers and police added over the past 16 months.

FACT: The military reports that there are now more than 91,000 Sons of Iraq—Shia as well as Sunni—under contract to help Coalition and Iraqi Forces protect neighborhoods and secure infrastructure.

FACT: More than 21,000 Sons of Iraq have already been accepted into Police, Army, or government jobs.

6. MYTH: Current spending on the war is historically unprecedented.

FACT: Today’s U.S. defense budget accounts for just over four percent of the economy, less than the U.S. commitment at any point during the four decades of the Cold War.

FACT: During the Truman and Eisenhower Administrations, the U.S. defense budget rose as high as 13 percent of the total economy.

FACT: Even during the Reagan Administration, when the economy expanded significantly, the defense budget accounted for approximately six percent of GDP.

Source: A Soldier's Perspective

Great Ganeil...another blockbuster for you I see...
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2008, 11:09 AM   #29
fedinand
Major
United_States

Drives: '11 X3, '11 GTI

Since the other post with this link was deleted, here is another perspective from a "conservative" commentator. Looks like the Right is not as unified as one might think.
Pat Buchanan's take:
http://www.amconmag.com/03_24_03/cover.html

The Appeaser/Neville Chamberlin reference was originally used by Sharon against Bush 7 years ago....interesting how we've come full circle on that (in a truly twisted way).

Last edited by fedinand; 05-24-2008 at 11:46 AM.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 06:17 AM   #30
fedinand
Major
United_States

From the ex-press secretary's own book - Bush misled us:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24848910
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 06:27 AM   #31
dr335is
Brigadier General

Drives: GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedinand View Post
From the ex-press secretary's own book - Bush misled us:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24848910
The truth is coming out from all sides...
Too bad there is no time to impeach the LIAR and murderer
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 10:35 PM   #32
fedinand
Major
United_States

Quote:
The truth is coming out from all sides...
Too bad there is no time to impeach the LIAR and murderer
Check out the Buchanan link - its hard, but when you get over the fact its Buchanan, there is a lot of "interesting" information from that piece....its a few years old, but very timely now.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 10:47 PM   #33
NaTuReB0Y