BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-07-2008, 08:05 PM   #1
gbb357
Captain
24
Rep
707
Posts

 
Drives: IS300
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

Secrets for GT-R Record Ring Run Revealed:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldcarfans
Last week Nissan announced the GT-R lapped the Nurburgring in an astounding 7 minues 29 seconds knocking a full 9 seconds of its previous record. We were led to believe the GT-R used was completely unmodified, but even though the GT-R has already been launched over in Japan, the engineers are still working on upgrades for its launch in Europe and the States.

Chief vehicle engineer Kazutoshi Mizuno said that the US bound GT-R will get a few tweaks including three harder engine mounts and a stiffer transaxle mount resulting in an even finer tuned suspension and powertrain. These details are certainly areas which helped the GT-R achieve a time of 7min 29 sec on the Ring.

The European version will be enhanced further with a slightly revised steering system and recalibrated rear differential although the GT-R team make a decision on this in September. But why enhance the GT-R further when it is already proved itself among the worlds top supercars? 'The GT-R is my son,' Mizuno explained. 'A son grows up and it's my duty as father to keep improving it.'
http://www.worldcarfans.com/9080507....g-run-revealed
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2008, 03:01 AM   #2
swamp2
Lieutenant General
swamp2's Avatar
United_States
214
Rep
10,201
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Diego, CA USA

iTrader: (1)

You've got to be kidding. The entire part about believing that engine and transaxle mounts can lead to any noticeable improvement in N'Ring time is editorial drivel/speculation by WCF. It never says that Mizuno san said those things. It is bad if WCF says something like this and worse if you believe it.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2008, 04:27 AM   #3
footie
Major General
footie's Avatar
No_Country
154
Rep
7,507
Posts

 
Drives: ????????????
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: BMW M3 will get a V6TT

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
You've got to be kidding. The entire part about believing that engine and transaxle mounts can lead to any noticeable improvement in N'Ring time is editorial drivel/speculation by WCF. It never says that Mizuno san said those things. It is bad if WCF says something like this and worse if you believe it.

swamp,

If you check you will find that just about every magazine/web site is reporting the same thing and stating that the statement has in fact come from Mizuno.

I agree that it does sound bizarre to think that engine and trasaxle mounts could make such a difference but I am keeping an open mind because I know how something as simple as a strut bar can make to how a car feels in your hands and even if the actual improve is small in terms of grip the confidence it gives makes you feel able to push a bit harder. On such a long lap as the ring it is possible for such added confidence to make up those extra seconds.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2008, 12:50 PM   #4
swamp2
Lieutenant General
swamp2's Avatar
United_States
214
Rep
10,201
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Diego, CA USA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
On such a long lap as the ring it is possible for such added confidence to make up those extra seconds.
Go ahead and keep on dreaming.

1 second: sure (however that is in the "noise floor"), 5 seconds: I'd place an enormous wager against it, 9 seconds: keep dreaming and deluding yourself.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2008, 01:22 PM   #5
shchow
Second Lieutenant
shchow's Avatar
2
Rep
294
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 CTS-V sedan, black raven
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hainesport, New Jersey

iTrader: (0)

How many turns does the Nordschliefe have...70, 71? If you make up a quarter of a second per turn, that equates to, what, a 17 second improvement, give or take. Cut that in half to one-eighth of a second improvement, and we are talking about 8-9 second improvement in total track time.
So, it is entirely feasible.
__________________
Current rides: 2010 CTS-V sedan, black raven; 2010 Cadillac Escalade ESV, black raven
Gone but not forgotten: 2008 M5, metallic sapphire black, SMG; 2004 645ci, metallic sapphire black, SMG
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2008, 01:43 PM   #6
footie
Major General
footie's Avatar
No_Country
154
Rep
7,507
Posts

 
Drives: ????????????
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: BMW M3 will get a V6TT

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Go ahead and keep on dreaming.

1 second: sure (however that is in the "noise floor"), 5 seconds: I'd place an enormous wager against it, 9 seconds: keep dreaming and deluding yourself.
It's not dreaming swamp, it's keeping an open mind.

You believe it's not possible to improve a lap time by that much, fair enough and you might be right but I do know that small changes can effect how a car feels and it's that what can make all the difference. In fact the difference between Michelin PS2 and Goodyear F1 tyres on a GTI can make 0.4s on a 58 second lap, the actual grip improvement is possibly nil but the way the car feels and behaves is much nicer with the Goodyear's and you feel more confident to press that bit harder in the knowledge that the car is more predictable on the limit.

Maybe these changes are doing exactly that, making the car more predictable at the limit and thus improving the lap time in the process. It's not always the case that more power or lighter weight is require to improve things, always remember that.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2008, 01:50 PM   #7
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
consolidated's Avatar
33
Rep
1,731
Posts

 
Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shchow View Post
How many turns does the Nordschliefe have...70, 71? If you make up a quarter of a second per turn, that equates to, what, a 17 second improvement, give or take. Cut that in half to one-eighth of a second improvement, and we are talking about 8-9 second improvement in total track time.
So, it is entirely feasible.
from drivetrain mounting changes? no way going to solid mounts conserved that much energy transferring it to the wheels, can't imagine it adding so much feedback and confidence that it saves that amount of time either.

btw, 1/8 second PER TURN is huge time, not peanuts, I was pleased when going to R tires dropped 1.5s off of my average lap times.

but then we all know this car runs on magic since it was created by powerful unicorns genetically engineered by Japan's finest.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2008, 04:52 PM   #8
OzCarfreak
Private First Class
OzCarfreak's Avatar
Australia
1
Rep
132
Posts

 
Drives: Merc / BMW /Audi
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
You've got to be kidding. The entire part about believing that engine and transaxle mounts can lead to any noticeable improvement in N'Ring time is editorial drivel/speculation by WCF. It never says that Mizuno san said those things. It is bad if WCF says something like this and worse if you believe it.

THe GTR crushes the M division and crushes Swamp - GT- r / V-spec next car.

M3 is already toast ,
sad thing is it now has to endure 7 years of being toast
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2008, 05:07 PM   #9
aussiem3
Lieutenant Colonel
aussiem3's Avatar
Australia
30
Rep
1,683
Posts

 
Drives: Goggomobil
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Kangaroo land

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2014 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
2007 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzCarfreak View Post
THe GTR crushes the M division and crushes Swamp - GT- r / V-spec next car.

M3 is already toast ,
sad thing is it now has to endure 7 years of being toast
It is sad and very amateur if anyone believes power is everything.

A traditional buyer of an M3 will never consider a Nissan ... or whatever it's. Nissan appeals to a totally different driver market ... just like AMG and RS's from Audi.

The Nissans and the STi's appeal to boy racers and I don't want to be seen in one. It's not my kind of car. If Nissan is faster so what. AMG cars have always been faster ... and how many M3 buyers have switched sides.

Ozcarfreak's statement is a typical Aussie line ... never satisfied with what you have ... grass is always greener on the other side ... and life and driving is all about muscle cars.

We are comparing chalk and cheese here and we are not doing justice to anyone rather thank making a fool of ourselves with lame comparisions.

Lets grow up!
__________________

2007 E92 6MT - Silverstone II with /// Performance Exhaust with ACM Test Pipes and BPM Sport Stage II Dev-Tune - Proper engine warm up, 12-monthly oil change, Castrol TWS 10w-60
2014 F15 X5 3.0d
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2008, 08:39 PM   #10
shchow
Second Lieutenant
shchow's Avatar
2
Rep
294
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 CTS-V sedan, black raven
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hainesport, New Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by consolidated View Post
btw, 1/8 second PER TURN is huge time, not peanuts, I was pleased when going to R tires dropped 1.5s off of my average lap times.
How many miles/lap on the track you are referring to? Is it 13 miles long?
__________________
Current rides: 2010 CTS-V sedan, black raven; 2010 Cadillac Escalade ESV, black raven
Gone but not forgotten: 2008 M5, metallic sapphire black, SMG; 2004 645ci, metallic sapphire black, SMG
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2008, 09:42 PM   #11
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
consolidated's Avatar
33
Rep
1,731
Posts

 
Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shchow View Post
How many miles/lap on the track you are referring to? Is it 13 miles long?
race tires are a more obvious performance upgrade than solid mounts wouldn't you agree?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2008, 09:54 PM   #12
reinaldo335
First Lieutenant
reinaldo335's Avatar
Puerto Rico
7
Rep
351
Posts

 
Drives: m3 ZCP 6MT, on order 09 m3 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: puerto rico

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiem3 View Post
It is sad and very amateur if anyone believes power is everything.

A traditional buyer of an M3 will never consider a Nissan ... or whatever it's. Nissan appeals to a totally different driver market ... just like AMG and RS's from Audi.

The Nissans and the STi's appeal to boy racers and I don't want to be seen in one. It's not my kind of car. If Nissan is faster so what. AMG cars have always been faster ... and how many M3 buyers have switched sides.

Ozcarfreak's statement is a typical Aussie line ... never satisfied with what you have ... grass is always greener on the other side ... and life and driving is all about muscle cars.

We are comparing chalk and cheese here and we are not doing justice to anyone rather thank making a fool of ourselves with lame comparisions.

Lets grow up!
i think the same, m3 rocks,
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2008, 02:36 PM   #13
Sakred
Private
Sakred's Avatar
0
Rep
69
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 GTR Black Edition
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: The City of Angels

iTrader: (0)

It should also be noted that the 7.38 run was done with wet spots on the track. since the weather has been better lately the time improvement can be attributed solely to that, rather then some minute changes to the chassis mounts.

Hammad
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 09:02 PM   #14
neilvosko
Major
neilvosko's Avatar
United_States
19
Rep
1,429
Posts

 
Drives: 335i e92 FBO
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: miami

iTrader: (16)

marketing at its best
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 01:33 PM   #15
X2Board
Captain
X2Board's Avatar
United_States
15
Rep
930
Posts

 
Drives: '11 X5 M
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Wake County, NC

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilvosko View Post
marketing at its best
Holy thread revival Batman!!
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 02:06 PM   #16
Sakred
Private
Sakred's Avatar
0
Rep
69
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 GTR Black Edition
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: The City of Angels

iTrader: (0)

Cool story bro.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 02:14 PM   #17
konaforever
Second Lieutenant
United_States
2
Rep
234
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 Red GTR
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Boston, MA

iTrader: (0)

GTR GTR!
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 03:18 PM   #18
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
117
Rep
8,517
Posts

 
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (6)

i believe! I will be buying my APC engine mounts and strut bars for my M3 civic tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 03:51 PM   #19
e92_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
38
Rep
1,560
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 e92 m3
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bay Area, California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
i believe! I will be buying my APC engine mounts and strut bars for my M3 civic tomorrow.
Hey hey. I'll take one as well...
__________________

Hellaflush? All I could say is "effyo'flush","flushnuff", and Instead of 'illest', I'm calling it "faillest". It's just form over function nowadays...
-END RANT
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 07:58 PM   #20
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
117
Rep
8,517
Posts

 
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92_m3 View Post
Hey hey. I'll take one as well...
it'll only work if you're non-zcp...ZCP non-civic M3s with CF roofs do not need it b/c they won't flip their car b/c of lower weight off their roof.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 09:21 PM   #21
e92_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
38
Rep
1,560
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 e92 m3
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bay Area, California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
it'll only work if you're non-zcp...ZCP non-civic M3s with CF roofs do not need it b/c they won't flip their car b/c of lower weight off their roof.
The online rep actually told me that too.

Man, you know your stuff!
__________________

Hellaflush? All I could say is "effyo'flush","flushnuff", and Instead of 'illest', I'm calling it "faillest". It's just form over function nowadays...
-END RANT
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 08:56 AM   #22
Onurleft
Captain
Onurleft's Avatar
13
Rep
862
Posts

 
Drives: RPM
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Baton Rouge and Atlanta

iTrader: (0)

Let's not forget a GT with options is 115k car out the door.

An M3, 60-75k. That's almost double. Factory in non warranty costs @ 50,000 miles and you are talking WELL over double the price of an M3. Ya'll need to keep your cool it's apples to oranges

Torsional rigidity certainly helps with lap times.
__________________
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:14 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST