BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

ESS Tuning

05-06-2008, 03:48 PM   #45
s65dave
C.H.U.L.

Drives: nothin' special

Thanks for the great review!

Any comments on your gas mileage?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 05:00 PM   #46
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States

Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by s65dave View Post
Thanks for the great review!

Any comments on your gas mileage?
80%+ freeway thus far (new and long commute). I do shift around quite a lot between 5-7 and even leave it in 6 for extended periods. As well I vary the throttle and speed in gear. So in other words not an efficiency driving style, a break in one. First two tanks have been at 17.6 and 17.8.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 09:47 PM   #47
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States

Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Send a message via AIM to e46e92love
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
If you are literally stopping and starting I'd suggest auto mode without using the creep option. There are no problems getting on the gas really slow or fast. If you are creeping along with little stopping I would suggest the creep mode. Just give the gas pedal the smallest of taps and the car creep much like and automatic. Then you can nicely control your speed via the brakes.
What is creep mode How do you select it?

Oh, and THANK YOU for taking the time to type a great and in depth review......much appreciated

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 09:52 PM   #48
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
I took the Epacy route.

Best regards, south
Wow, I feel almost honored that my color selection is the same as two legends of of M3 post. Feel better and better about my color choice

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 10:54 PM   #49
NavM3
M-Sport

Drives: 2011 GT-R

Quote:
One bulb powers the angel eye rings and one the cornering lamps. See this: http://bmwfans.info/original/E92/Cou...3/ill-63_0961/

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2008, 12:35 AM   #50
Private

Drives: 08 BMW 328IS & 07 Porsche 997S

Quote:
-Ocassional and slight noise and perhaps "clunk" when rolling to a stop and M-DCT is auto downshifting. This is VERY slight and you really have to pay attention to notice it.
Congrats on your new baby and many miles of smiles.

I am considering the DCT and would appreciate it if you'd be kind enough to keep us/me posted going forward on the slight clunk..I am curious to see if this resolves itself as the trans adapts to your driving style or if it remains/gets worse.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2008, 10:43 AM   #51
Sedan_Clan
Banned
Brazil

Drives: '14 335i(prev.IB,AW M3's & X5)

Nice write-up Swamp. Congrats on the car!
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2008, 02:38 PM   #52
southlight
Moderator / European Editor

Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46e92love View Post
Wow, I feel almost honored that my color selection is the same as two legends of of M3 post. Feel better and better about my color choice
Wow, being called a legend...that's an honor.

Best regards, south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2008, 03:30 PM   #53
footie
Major General
No_Country

Drives: ????????????

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:

Best regards, south
He meant to say Leg-end, you are way to modest for the other title.

Back to topic,

swamp, what's the miles on the motor now, are you close to the 1200mile mark to give us a proper review of this new gearbox and the car itself.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2008, 04:40 PM   #54
Keto
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States

Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [5.00]
Quote:

Best regards, south
A legend of M3Post is sort of like being the best over-50 basketball player in Luxembourg.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2008, 05:04 PM   #55
southlight
Moderator / European Editor

Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keto View Post
A legend of M3Post is sort of like being the best over-50 basketball player in Luxembourg.
And I thought it's like being the best German basketball player...

Best regards, south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2008, 05:22 PM   #56
Keto
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States

Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [5.00]
Quote:
And I thought it's like being the best German basketball player...

Best regards, south
Dirk actually has some stature, won an MVP and makes millions, so not a good comparison. Unless a legend of M3Post whines all the time and flops like it's the World Cup....
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2008, 05:40 PM   #57
lucid
Major General
United_States

Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
I am 60 years old and was born in Luxembourg. I find your post rather offensive. I will no longer be sending you the red Brembo kit I promised I would to make up for our little disagreement a while back...
      05-07-2008, 05:54 PM   #58
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500 View Post
Congrats on your new baby and many miles of smiles.

I am considering the DCT and would appreciate it if you'd be kind enough to keep us/me posted going forward on the slight clunk..I am curious to see if this resolves itself as the trans adapts to your driving style or if it remains/gets worse.

Thanks
Keep in mind this occurence is VERY SLIGHT. A clunk is a big overstatement. As well it is very infrequent. Do you know the sound you can get sometimes when unloading a MT clutch when low speed/low gear coasting/compression braking? It is like a very slight version of that. Could be just loosening the drivetrain tension through a clutch opertaion. Please re-read the first two sentences just above. The transmission does not adapt in any way. It only gets broken in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
swamp, what's the miles on the motor now, are you close to the 1200mile mark to give us a proper review of this new gearbox and the car itself.
Break in service scheduled for Friday morning. Not sure how long after than for some real details. I'd certainly like to provide a launch control video ASAP but look how long it took for this post... Hey what happened to user "SgtB" (not sure exact user name) pending videos? I know he is busy with a big international move.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2008, 07:14 PM   #59
GregMM
Private

Drives: 2005 E46 M3

Congrats Swamp...nice review. I just passed on my MT order which arrived a couple of weeks ago to wait for DCT delivery. I have to admit, I'm a little torn since I could be behind the wheel right now. They are holding my MT (which matches yours except w/o DCT) just in case I change my mind back again. Your review is helping a lot...
Cheers,
Greg
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2008, 10:10 PM   #60
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States

Quote:
Hey, at least you are the best at something

Appreciate 0
      05-07-2008, 10:17 PM   #61
Epacy
Reincarnated

Drives: 02 Maxima SE

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
I took the Epacy route.

Best regards, south
Tch, tch. It is the other way around my fellow friend.
I was locked in on IB, but you steered me towards PS.
      05-07-2008, 10:24 PM   #62
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epacy View Post
Tch, tch. It is the other way around my fellow friend.
I was locked in on IB, but you steered me towards PS.
Either way, I am jumping on the EPACY/SOUTH bandwagon. I have no pride, so I don't care about the one to take the chance on color. You went out on the limb, and I benefit because I get to see what it looks like before I had to lock in my color choice. THANKS!!!!

Appreciate 0
      05-07-2008, 11:23 PM   #63
Private

Drives: 08 BMW 328IS & 07 Porsche 997S

Quote:
Keep in mind this occurence is VERY SLIGHT. A clunk is a big overstatement. As well it is very infrequent. Do you know the sound you can get sometimes when unloading a MT clutch when low speed/low gear coasting/compression braking? It is like a very slight version of that. Could be just loosening the drivetrain tension through a clutch opertaion. Please re-read the first two sentences just above. The transmission does not adapt in any way. It only gets broken in.
Originally Posted by swamp2
-Ocassional and slight noise and perhaps "clunk" when rolling to a stop and M-DCT is auto downshifting.

Just referencing your thoughts above. I will keep an ear out for this slight noise as soon as my dealer gets their first DCT car available for a test drive so I can experience myself.
I realize the trans iteslf does not adapt but I thought perhaps the software for the trans adapted to one's driving style like in other cars i.e. MB.

I have been waiting a long time for BMW to come out with this gearbox and am hoping to be an owner of an 09.

Last edited by 500; 05-07-2008 at 11:45 PM.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2008, 12:13 AM   #64
MelsM3
Private

Drives: M3

Thumbs up

Congrats/Good Thread!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2008, 02:26 AM   #65
Hans Delbruck
BMW & MB - friends in my garage
United_States

Drives: C63, 135i, 1959 BUICK

Do you find yourself driving more in auto mode or in manual? Or is following break-in kind of skewing that choice one way or another? What mode do you think you will settle into after break-in and why?
      05-08-2008, 02:43 AM   #66
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Delbruck View Post
Do you find yourself driving more in auto mode or in manual? Or is following break-in kind of skewing that choice one way or another? What mode do you think you will settle into after break-in and why?
Good questions, as usual.

I use both modes quite a bit. I have a new job with a long freeway commute so that does affect my mode use ratios as does the break in. When talking on the phone or when dealing with unfamiliar areas or simply when wanting to “transport” and not “drive” I use D. When wanting more control for both fun or sportiness and to vary rpm without varying speed much I use S. I don’t think that post break in will change use ratios much, it depends on the immediate purpose in the vehicle for me. What I have noticed is that for me using the stick (as opposed to the paddles) in S does offer a significant approximation of shifting a MT. Sure it is effectively from an interface perspective a sequential but I do think it will give those who believe that can not give up the “involvement” or “false pride” (discussed previously) of a MT, a decent surrogate experience. Does that make sense?
I have also been using a lot more of S4 vs S3 since that statement because S4 and S5 give substantially better downshift blips than S3 and lower.
Appreciate 0