BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-04-2008, 01:14 PM   #1
Leg
Captain
 
Drives: E92 M3 V8 Alpine White
Join Date: May 2007
Location: York, England

Posts: 844
iTrader: (0)

Post 1200 mile service

Had it done today.

All I can say is NOW my M3 has arrived!!!!!!
__________________

E92 M3, Breyton GTS 19s, black and carbon all over
Factory Mini John Cooper Works 211bhp
MK Indy R track car (road legal) 300bhp+ per ton, sequential box
VW Tiguan 4x4
Leg is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-04-2008, 01:16 PM   #2
FifthStreetz
O! So Sour!!
 
FifthStreetz's Avatar
 
Drives: Fast e30 / Slow M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Fort Lee, NJ

Posts: 15,525
iTrader: (24)

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.75]
Congrats! Was it completed in one day? Btw great sig. photo. The 18s look awesome!
__________________
FifthStreetz is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-04-2008, 01:31 PM   #3
ase2dais
//Mdicted
 
ase2dais's Avatar
 
Drives: a Cop Magnet
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: 495 Ring

Posts: 9,874
iTrader: (17)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leg View Post
Had it done today.

All I can say is NOW my M3 has arrived!!!!!!

I hope to say those word soon!
ase2dais is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-04-2008, 01:32 PM   #4
ase2dais
//Mdicted
 
ase2dais's Avatar
 
Drives: a Cop Magnet
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: 495 Ring

Posts: 9,874
iTrader: (17)

Garage List
Thats a bad aZZ AW
ase2dais is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-04-2008, 01:33 PM   #5
AwesomeM3
Major
 
AwesomeM3's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3, E70 X5, 1967 Corvette
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: New Jersey

Posts: 1,451
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 M3  [5.00]
2009 X5 48i M Sport  [5.00]
(SOLD) 2001 M3  [0.00]
I'm waiting to be there too! I have 600 miles left until my 1200 mile service. By the way, great pic in your sig!
__________________

2008 E92 M3 Coupe 6MT | 2009 E70 X5 xDrive 48i M Sport | 1967 Corvette Coupe
2001 E46 M3 - Sold | 1997 E36 M3 - Sold | BMW CCA member
AwesomeM3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-04-2008, 01:50 PM   #6
m3larson
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 Cayenne S 1997 M3 Track C
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Tucson, AZ

Posts: 301
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leg View Post
Had it done today.

All I can say is NOW my M3 has arrived!!!!!!
Do you know what they do besides change the oil.. I'm still the only one in my town, I wonder if I should go to a bigger city to have my service done..
m3larson is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-04-2008, 03:46 PM   #7
rvacha
Captain
 
rvacha's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Cleveland, OH

Posts: 745
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
__________________

'03 X5 4.4i Blue/Tan
'06 E90 330Xi 6MT Sparkling Graphite/Terra
'08 E92 M3 6MT Jerez/Speed Cloth <-- Evil Twin
rvacha is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-04-2008, 04:58 PM   #8
Jinxter
Lieutenant
 
Jinxter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 BMW e92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Walnut Creek, California

Posts: 490
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3larson View Post
Do you know what they do besides change the oil.. I'm still the only one in my town, I wonder if I should go to a bigger city to have my service done..
there are 6 different things tehy are doing for my service 1200. including

standard scope check list
Engine oil replace + filter
intake silencer replace
run in check connected with engine oil
manual transmission final drive unit
replace air conditioning microfilter

Now they have 2 of the 3 items they need to replace on my car and are expecting the last peice on monday....

Finally will be able to complete my 1200 mile service
__________________
Jinxter is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-07-2008, 06:30 PM   #9
AlpWtE92
First Lieutenant
 
AlpWtE92's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 AW E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: SF / Bay Area

Posts: 319
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinxter View Post
there are 6 different things tehy are doing for my service 1200. including

standard scope check list
Engine oil replace + filter
intake silencer replace
run in check connected with engine oil
manual transmission final drive unit
replace air conditioning microfilter

Now they have 2 of the 3 items they need to replace on my car and are expecting the last peice on monday....

Finally will be able to complete my 1200 mile service
I made an appt to have my 1200 mile service done next Monday at BMW Mtn View. The guy I talked to said they have the oil filter, but didn't mention the need for any other parts. Is the intake silencer and microfilter required? It didn't sound like they were going to do anything else, other than change the fluids, but I was talking to someone in the parts dept, so he might not know....
AlpWtE92 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-15-2008, 03:43 PM   #10
AlpWtE92
First Lieutenant
 
AlpWtE92's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 AW E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: SF / Bay Area

Posts: 319
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FifthStreetz View Post
Congrats! Was it completed in one day? Btw great sig. photo. The 18s look awesome!

Took my car in this morning at 8:30 am for the 1200 mile service and they are now telling (around 1:30pm now) that they may need to keep it overnight. Has anyone else heard of this service taking more than 1 full day? I find it a bit unbelievable and it sounds like the dealer is just taking their sweet time getting to my car. The SA also said that he's going to check the computer because it's telling them to change the air filter, which shouldn't need to be changed. However, in another post, it's already been discussed that the manual says this needs to be changed. I'm starting to wonder about this dealer's service dept....
AlpWtE92 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-15-2008, 04:02 PM   #11
Jinxter
Lieutenant
 
Jinxter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 BMW e92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Walnut Creek, California

Posts: 490
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpWtE92 View Post
Took my car in this morning at 8:30 am for the 1200 mile service and they are now telling (around 1:30pm now) that they may need to keep it overnight. Has anyone else heard of this service taking more than 1 full day? I find it a bit unbelievable and it sounds like the dealer is just taking their sweet time getting to my car. The SA also said that he's going to check the computer because it's telling them to change the air filter, which shouldn't need to be changed. However, in another post, it's already been discussed that the manual says this needs to be changed. I'm starting to wonder about this dealer's service dept....
I talked to my Service advisor yesterday and he still hasen't recived the air filters. I requested they complete what services they can but he told me that they cant start it as teh dealership will not get paid until the entire service is complete so they cant do partial now and more later.

Who else is on waiting list for these services???
__________________
Jinxter is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-15-2008, 07:49 PM   #12
AlpWtE92
First Lieutenant
 
AlpWtE92's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 AW E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: SF / Bay Area

Posts: 319
iTrader: (0)

So it's for certain that my car is not going to be done today. I can't really blame the dealer too much because this is the first 2008 M3 that they are servicing and I would rather them do things right. I guess this is what we have to deal with for being some of the first to have a car in the US. The SA told me that it's taking longer because they wanted to go over all the procedures, double check what things needed to be done, and make sure the parts were in stock. Also, because only one or two techs were trained to service the car, they had to wait for them to be free. Obviously, the dealer could have been more prepared, but realistically, I guess that's asking too much from a BMW dealer. At least they should have all the parts (since the SA said that's what they spent time doing today) and my car should be ready tomorrow.

For those of you that will be doing this service in the next few months, I strongly suggest contacting a SA that you know and ask them to be prepared!
AlpWtE92 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-15-2008, 09:56 PM   #13
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
 
Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe, 2012 ML350
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lake Oswego, OR

Posts: 7,496
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
1,200 service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinxter View Post
there are 6 different things tehy are doing for my service 1200. including

standard scope check list
Engine oil replace + filter
intake silencer replace
run in check connected with engine oil
manual transmission final drive unit
replace air conditioning microfilter

Now they have 2 of the 3 items they need to replace on my car and are expecting the last peice on monday....

Finally will be able to complete my 1200 mile service
That's actually 7 things; transmission and final drive lube changes are separate items. I'm getting mine done next Monday.
__________________

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2015 M4 Coupe - Silverstone/Sakhir/CF
2012 ML350
GregW / Oregon is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-16-2008, 10:47 AM   #14
OC ///M
Dr. Octagon
 
OC ///M's Avatar
 
Drives: Moonstone e92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: So Cal

Posts: 1,813
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinxter View Post
I talked to my Service advisor yesterday and he still hasen't recived the air filters. I requested they complete what services they can but he told me that they cant start it as teh dealership will not get paid until the entire service is complete so they cant do partial now and more later.

Who else is on waiting list for these services???
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpWtE92 View Post
So it's for certain that my car is not going to be done today. I can't really blame the dealer too much because this is the first 2008 M3 that they are servicing and I would rather them do things right. I guess this is what we have to deal with for being some of the first to have a car in the US. The SA told me that it's taking longer because they wanted to go over all the procedures, double check what things needed to be done, and make sure the parts were in stock. Also, because only one or two techs were trained to service the car, they had to wait for them to be free. Obviously, the dealer could have been more prepared, but realistically, I guess that's asking too much from a BMW dealer. At least they should have all the parts (since the SA said that's what they spent time doing today) and my car should be ready tomorrow.

For those of you that will be doing this service in the next few months, I strongly suggest contacting a SA that you know and ask them to be prepared!
Jinxter: Sterling BMW did the run-in service yesterday on mine. I'm on some list they'll be calling when the filter comes in. So I think it can be done. What worries me most is the whole thing only took like 2 hours...from what AlpWt describes above, it sounds like my car was neglected. ...They probably only just reset the computer.
__________________
OC ///M

2013 E92 M3 Individual
Sold: 2011 E92 M3 SSII | Sold: 2008 E92 M3 SSII | Into a Wall: 2008 E92 M3 SSII | Sold: 2007 E92 335i JB
OC ///M is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-16-2008, 11:04 AM   #15
!Xoible
Banned
 
Drives: ....
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: .

Posts: 46,037
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 M3  [3.50]
2007 335i  [4.50]
2008 528i  [4.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [4.00]
OC Kid, u already at 1200?? damn!

do u guys call dealer for it, or do they call you to get the service or does the car tell u to go?
!Xoible is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-16-2008, 11:13 AM   #16
OC ///M
Dr. Octagon
 
OC ///M's Avatar
 
Drives: Moonstone e92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: So Cal

Posts: 1,813
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mantis View Post
OC Kid, u already at 1200?? damn!

do u guys call dealer for it, or do they call you to get the service or does the car tell u to go?
over 1500 now!

The best thing to do is call your dealer a week or so beforehand and set up the appt. (I actually only made my appt w/ them the day before and got lucky)

Your car will also "tell" you when it's time too.
__________________
OC ///M

2013 E92 M3 Individual
Sold: 2011 E92 M3 SSII | Sold: 2008 E92 M3 SSII | Into a Wall: 2008 E92 M3 SSII | Sold: 2007 E92 335i JB
OC ///M is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-16-2008, 11:23 AM   #17
!Xoible
Banned
 
Drives: ....
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: .

Posts: 46,037
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 M3  [3.50]
2007 335i  [4.50]
2008 528i  [4.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [4.00]
i did like 550 so far, so im thinking i'll be done with 1200 by sunday... i'll call today i guess
!Xoible is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-16-2008, 12:35 PM   #18
AlpWtE92
First Lieutenant
 
AlpWtE92's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 AW E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: SF / Bay Area

Posts: 319
iTrader: (0)

Definitely call the dealer beforehand to check that they have all the necessary parts - I even talked to the parts department before I took mine in. When you make an appointment, ask to talk to your favorite Service Advisor - the people that take appointments will have no clue what is necessary for your car. If your SA is good, he'll make sure that they are prepared when you bring the car in.
OC Kid, I think the dealer I'm going to was simply not prepared - I don't think this service should take that long. That said, 2 hours sounds pretty quick and the list of things to do is not short. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't do anything other than reset the computer for you because it sounds like they didn't have all the necessary parts anyways.... Sorry, don't mean to make you worry....
AlpWtE92 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-17-2008, 01:43 AM   #19
AlpWtE92
First Lieutenant
 
AlpWtE92's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 AW E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: SF / Bay Area

Posts: 319
iTrader: (0)

Picked up my car tonight and finally went past 5500 RPM! What an awesome sound the engine makes at high RPMs. The service ended up taking them 2 full days. My only question is this - the dealer put 4 miles on my car in the past two days. Am I being too anal, or does that seem a bit high? The SA said they had to drive it for that many miles because of the Run-In.

By the way, the techs determined that the microfilter did not need to be changed even though the car's key was telling them to change it.

This is a list of things done according to my service receipt:

Intake Silencer (not sure what this is or what was done)
Standard Scope
Engine Oil/Filter
Transmission Oil
Rear gear Oil
Multi Point Inspection
Service-Run-In
AlpWtE92 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-17-2008, 12:35 PM   #20
M3Kevin
Private First Class
 
M3Kevin's Avatar
 
Drives: Alpine White 2008 M3
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Phoenix AZ

Posts: 128
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2004 Corvette Z06  [0.00]
2004 GT3  [0.00]
2008 M3  [0.00]
I have mine in right now - sitting here at North Scottsdale BMW.

I called them 2 weeks ago to have them get the parts in, schedule the appt and be ready for me when I came in.

I spoke to them today, and had them verify that this service would be done TODAY. And that I would NOT be leaving it overnight. I'll keep you posted.

Hopefully, I will have a good story to tell everyone about my dealer and their service dept.
__________________
A happy tire is a squeeling tire.

Happiness isn't around the corner - it IS the corner!
M3Kevin is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-17-2008, 04:49 PM   #21
M3Kevin
Private First Class
 
M3Kevin's Avatar
 
Drives: Alpine White 2008 M3
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Phoenix AZ

Posts: 128
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2004 Corvette Z06  [0.00]
2004 GT3  [0.00]
2008 M3  [0.00]
2.5 hours. Got there at 9:30am - was out at 12:00 noon

They did not have the "microfilter" or something, and will be contacting me when it's in - but other than that - I have the green light to "have some fun!"

The service department did well.
__________________
A happy tire is a squeeling tire.

Happiness isn't around the corner - it IS the corner!
M3Kevin is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-17-2008, 05:57 PM   #22
OC ///M
Dr. Octagon
 
OC ///M's Avatar
 
Drives: Moonstone e92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: So Cal

Posts: 1,813
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpWtE92 View Post
The service ended up taking them 2 full days. My only question is this - the dealer put 4 miles on my car in the past two days. Am I being too anal, or does that seem a bit high? The SA said they had to drive it for that many miles because of the Run-In.

By the way, the techs determined that the microfilter did not need to be changed even though the car's key was telling them to change it.

This is a list of things done according to my service receipt:

Intake Silencer (not sure what this is or what was done)
Standard Scope
Engine Oil/Filter
Transmission Oil
Rear gear Oil
Multi Point Inspection
Service-Run-In
2 days seems like an aweful long time for fluid changes. Mine had 1.8 miles put on by the techs, I thought that was excessive! 4 miles seems a bit much, but it all depends on the area, what was serviced/diagnosed and the driver.

My receipt didn't mention some of the things on your list...Did I get shorted?

__________________
OC ///M

2013 E92 M3 Individual
Sold: 2011 E92 M3 SSII | Sold: 2008 E92 M3 SSII | Into a Wall: 2008 E92 M3 SSII | Sold: 2007 E92 335i JB
OC ///M is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:33 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST