BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing
 
INDustry distribution
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-01-2008, 11:46 PM   #1
Krueger///M3
Major
Krueger///M3's Avatar
United_States
28
Rep
1,401
Posts

 
Drives: 2003 HPF 2.5, 2008 M3 (Sold)
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Pearl District, OR

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2002 BMW ///M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW ///M3  [0.00]
BMW Key Storage

I bought a new M3 from my dealer that had been taken on some test drives and was wondering how I would be able to tell if the car had been taken to the redline at all during the break-in period. (P.S. I kind of got ripped off paying 3k over and now realize that )
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2008, 08:08 PM   #2
HotLap
First Lieutenant
HotLap's Avatar
United_States
6
Rep
376
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 M3 Vert / 535i Twin turbo
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Sorry, don't know how you could tell about redline before you got the car, but what does this have to do with key storage
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2008, 09:52 PM   #3
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
United_States
137
Rep
7,648
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe, 2012 ML350
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lake Oswego, OR

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krueger///M3 View Post
I bought a new M3 from my dealer that had been taken on some test drives and was wondering how I would be able to tell if the car had been taken to the redline at all during the break-in period. (P.S. I kind of got ripped off paying 3k over and now realize that )
I don't think that info is stored on the key memory, but a memory dump of the CPU would have some stored data. On the E46 they could tell max. revs and amount of time over certain revs. I would guess the E92 would have more capability.
__________________

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2015 M4 Coupe - Silverstone/Sakhir/CF
2012 ML350
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2008, 10:10 PM   #4
BCMPOWER
Captain
BCMPOWER's Avatar
United_States
7
Rep
626
Posts

 
Drives: 08 Silverstone II M3
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Silver Spring MD

iTrader: (0)

I believe only service information and check control functions are stored on the key, and the key has to be in the ignition. For many with comfort access that rarely happens. I found this out taking my car for service my Service advisor read the key and nothing was on it. After a quick insertion into the ignition it was spewing out fault codes! I am sure BMW's computer would store how the car was driven just for a maintenance point of view. However getting this information from a dealer is another story. Unless you blew your engine like I have read some has already done.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2008, 10:17 PM   #5
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
United_States
137
Rep
7,648
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe, 2012 ML350
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lake Oswego, OR

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCMPOWER View Post
I believe only service information and check control functions are stored on the key, and the key has to be in the ignition. For many with comfort access that rarely happens. I found this out taking my car for service my Service advisor read the key and nothing was on it. After a quick insertion into the ignition it was spewing out fault codes!
Okay, I wasn't sure if info was sent to the key wirelessly. The manual is not very clear.
__________________

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2015 M4 Coupe - Silverstone/Sakhir/CF
2012 ML350
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2009, 10:44 PM   #6
karalunj
Registered
0
Rep
2
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Southern California

iTrader: (0)

The dealer can tell you if it has been redlined

I know this for fact that they can tell since they are trying to use it against me in my quest for a lemon law settlement. BMW Customer Care mentioned that it clearly states in the report that the tech pulled up an over rev code. I did not do it and always break my vehicles in according to specs and inquired a my local dealer. They told me the car was indeed over reved at one point but exactly when is not possible to decipher. I was not the first to drive car and suspect a salesman or prospective buyer did it upon test drive. I hope that that info helps..
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2009, 11:12 PM   #7
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
United_States
137
Rep
7,648
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe, 2012 ML350
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lake Oswego, OR

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by karalunj View Post
I know this for fact that they can tell since they are trying to use it against me in my quest for a lemon law settlement. BMW Customer Care mentioned that it clearly states in the report that the tech pulled up an over rev code. I did not do it and always break my vehicles in according to specs and inquired a my local dealer. They told me the car was indeed over reved at one point but exactly when is not possible to decipher. I was not the first to drive car and suspect a salesman or prospective buyer did it upon test drive. I hope that that info helps..
In your case, unless the can time and date stamp the "events", there is no way to prove whether you did it, or some lot jockey or tech while it was in for service. A good lawyer would have that "evidence" dismissed in no time.
__________________

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2015 M4 Coupe - Silverstone/Sakhir/CF
2012 ML350
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2009, 10:17 AM   #8
Alex///M
E90 - the Ultimate family hauler
Alex///M's Avatar
Canada
7
Rep
568
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E90 ///M3
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Halifax

iTrader: (14)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCMPOWER View Post
I believe only service information and check control functions are stored on the key, and the key has to be in the ignition. For many with comfort access that rarely happens. I found this out taking my car for service my Service advisor read the key and nothing was on it. After a quick insertion into the ignition it was spewing out fault codes! I am sure BMW's computer would store how the car was driven just for a maintenance point of view. However getting this information from a dealer is another story. Unless you blew your engine like I have read some has already done.
Would you be able to point me in the direction of sites/places I can read about this? This is the first I've heard of motor problem(s) with the S85 and I want to stay as informed about this as possible as I do plan on tracking my car.
__________________
2008 AW E90 M3 - current
2002 TIAG E46 M3 - gone
1991 DiamondSchwartz E30 M3 - gone but not forgotten
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:35 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST