BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

07-07-2008, 01:24 PM   #1
White08M3
Captain

Drives: 2008 BMW M3 Coupe

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to White08M3
Question Powder Coating Stock 18s?

I was thinking today...what my car would look like if the 18s were matte black. Does anyone think this would look good? ?

Does anyone have a flat black finish on their 18s or 19s? id like to see some pics...

Thanks

E92 ///M3/Alpine White/6MT/Tech/VRS Boot Lid/UUC SSK/H&R Sport Drop/Hamann lip/ Remus Race Exhaust...
White08M3 is offline   United_States
      07-07-2008, 01:25 PM   #2
pittsy
Captain

Drives: Jerez...E92 M3

I would love to see matte black 18s, there is a forum member with matte black powder coated 19s on AW and IMO it looks awesome!!
08 E92 M3 Jerez Black | Bamboo | 6MT | 18s | 5% tint | No iDrive | Heated Seats | V1 hardwire | ///M Alu Pedals | Matte Black Grills | Painted Reflectors | CF Roundels | GP Thunder 8500k | Remus Race Exhaust | VMR V701 18s Matte Black
pittsy is offline   United_States
      07-09-2008, 02:39 AM   #3
IWC Doppel
Private First Class

Drives: 08 M3

I have painted lots of wheels black before they where remotely trendy (I loved the old Dymag black race alloys in the late 80's)

They generally look better a dark metallic Grey, factory alloys will be lighter than you would imagine if you referenced the actual colour (UK darker than US anyway) the old E30 Sport EVO has centres in Negaro silver which is similar to Silver grey and lighter than you would imagine when you look at the wheel which looks nearly black in the centre from some angles

http://www.bimmers.com/m3/gallery/nikas/

The thing to watch is the tyre colour as this is not black ! (very dark grey) and getting the colour balance between wheel and tyre is what looks good (Get them the same and they can look odd). Tyre wall black changes the colour of the tyre (darkens it) I have seen wheels look good with no tyre wall black then somehow odd with tyre wall black !

I think the BMW colour choice on the 18" euro wheel is spot on