BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis
 
ESS Tuning
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-25-2009, 01:19 PM   #155
lucid
Major General
 
lucid's Avatar
 
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 8,034
iTrader: (0)

Below is what I got with the scale at the track last year:

With just a tid bit under 1/2 tank gas and no driver and a bunch of stuff removed from the trunk including the lid lining and the floor mats--otherwise stock with 6MT, 19"ers, tech and premium packages:

L: 1725.0 lbs
R: 1772.5 lbs

Total Weight: 3497.5 lbs

Estimated Curb Weight (with full tank of gas--9 additional gallons): 3554 lbs

Also, there is more weight data here:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...+weight&page=2
__________________
lucid is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-26-2009, 12:59 AM   #156
rzm3
Moderator
 
rzm3's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 4,600
iTrader: (14)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
Yes, there is something off there. I am not sure how to interpret bulletproof's claim: "The set of doors weigh 7.37lbs compared to 41 lbs for the stock doors". Those figures are referring to both doors (set), but then the parts catalog seems to be quoting a single stock door panel at 18 kg. Do you have additional info to clarify this?
As shown on Ericsson's web site, it is comparing the weight of the CF door to one OE door (18kg). So bulletproof probably made a mistake.
Attached Images
 
__________________
E92 M3 DCT - AiM EVO4 Data Logger / AiM SmartyCam HD / KW Competition 2-Way / OMP ARS Racing Seats / Brembo GT 365 / Pagid Yellow RS-29 / Rear Seats Delete
rzm3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-26-2009, 01:13 AM   #157
rzm3
Moderator
 
rzm3's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 4,600
iTrader: (14)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
Below is what I got with the scale at the track last year:

With just a tid bit under 1/2 tank gas and no driver and a bunch of stuff removed from the trunk including the lid lining and the floor mats--otherwise stock with 6MT, 19"ers, tech and premium packages:

L: 1725.0 lbs
R: 1772.5 lbs

Total Weight: 3497.5 lbs

Estimated Curb Weight (with full tank of gas--9 additional gallons): 3554 lbs

Also, there is more weight data here:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...+weight&page=2
Hey Lucid,

I found the CA Vehicle Code online and it says: (http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d01/vc660.htm)

The "unladen weight" of a vehicle is the weight equipped and ready for operation on the road including the body, fenders, oil in motor, radiator full of water, with five gallons of gasoline or equivalent weight of other motor fuel...

So, you would actually need to subtract 5gals of gas weight (bmwusa.com says M3 tank+reserve = 20gals) to get the official "curb weight" (US).

3497.5lbm - 5gals*6.073lbm/gal = 3461.1lbm
__________________
E92 M3 DCT - AiM EVO4 Data Logger / AiM SmartyCam HD / KW Competition 2-Way / OMP ARS Racing Seats / Brembo GT 365 / Pagid Yellow RS-29 / Rear Seats Delete
rzm3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-26-2009, 10:13 AM   #158
lucid
Major General
 
lucid's Avatar
 
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 8,034
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rldzhao View Post
As shown on Ericsson's web site, it is comparing the weight of the CF door to one OE door (18kg). So bulletproof probably made a mistake.
Thanks. I'll fix that. Also, can you post the url for that Ericsson page.

18kg for just a single external door panel seems a bit high, but I guess that's what it is then.
__________________
lucid is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-26-2009, 10:49 AM   #159
lucid
Major General
 
lucid's Avatar
 
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 8,034
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rldzhao View Post
Hey Lucid,

I found the CA Vehicle Code online and it says: (http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d01/vc660.htm)

The "unladen weight" of a vehicle is the weight equipped and ready for operation on the road including the body, fenders, oil in motor, radiator full of water, with five gallons of gasoline or equivalent weight of other motor fuel...

So, you would actually need to subtract 5gals of gas weight (bmwusa.com says M3 tank+reserve = 20gals) to get the official "curb weight" (US).

3497.5lbm - 5gals*6.073lbm/gal = 3461.1lbm
Thanks. I am not sure if curb weight is the same thing as unladen weight though. I don't think that it is. And yes, I recently saw the 20gal figure on the website. I thought it was 18gal. Good to know.
__________________
lucid is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-26-2009, 12:27 PM   #160
JC919
Lieutenant Colonel
 
JC919's Avatar
 
Drives: CSL
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland

Posts: 1,791
iTrader: (0)

I'd work on that body fat first, being that its the cheapest.
JC919 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-26-2009, 02:14 PM   #161
rzm3
Moderator
 
rzm3's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 4,600
iTrader: (14)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
Thanks. I am not sure if curb weight is the same thing as unladen weight though. I don't think that it is. And yes, I recently saw the 20gal figure on the website. I thought it was 18gal. Good to know.
sorry... i meant "official unladen weight"

so, unladen weight = 3497.5lbm - 5gals*6.073lbm/gal = 3461.1lbm
__________________
E92 M3 DCT - AiM EVO4 Data Logger / AiM SmartyCam HD / KW Competition 2-Way / OMP ARS Racing Seats / Brembo GT 365 / Pagid Yellow RS-29 / Rear Seats Delete

Last edited by rzm3; 01-26-2009 at 02:37 PM.
rzm3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-30-2009, 08:30 PM   #162
pepper
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 0 degrees

Posts: 262
iTrader: (1)

did you guys add the key lock on drivers sied when doing the cap replacement?

it felt heavy
pepper is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-03-2009, 06:37 PM   #163
lucid
Major General
 
lucid's Avatar
 
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 8,034
iTrader: (0)

Added Active Autowerke M3 X Pipe and Connecting Pipes to OP.
__________________
lucid is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-03-2009, 06:38 PM   #164
Sticky
Banned
 
Drives: E92 Jerez DCT M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Anaheim Hills / Malibu

Posts: 2,244
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
Added Active Autowerke M3 X Pipe and Connecting Pipes to OP.
Thanks for keeping this updated, extremely useful.
Sticky is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-03-2009, 06:41 PM   #165
lucid
Major General
 
lucid's Avatar
 
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 8,034
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticky View Post
Thanks for keeping this updated, extremely useful.
Glad it is useful. I purchased my first major mod after staring at the initial post: Vorsteiner exhaust. Couldn't resist is at $92/lb. It will be interesting to see if they come up with titanimum pipes.
__________________
lucid is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-03-2009, 09:48 PM   #166
jml
Captain
 
jml's Avatar
 
Drives: E90M3
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Austin, TX

Posts: 981
iTrader: (2)

09 E90 DCT all options (except extended leather), full tank, baby seat. No passengers or driver.

Name:  DSC_0763.jpg
Views: 595
Size:  388.8 KB
jml is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-03-2009, 09:57 PM   #167
Sticky
Banned
 
Drives: E92 Jerez DCT M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Anaheim Hills / Malibu

Posts: 2,244
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jml View Post
09 E90 DCT all options (except extended leather), full tank, baby seat. No passengers or driver.

Attachment 236646
Seems the E90 is a bit heavier.
Sticky is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-03-2009, 10:06 PM   #168
lucid
Major General
 
lucid's Avatar
 
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 8,034
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jml View Post
09 E90 DCT all options (except extended leather), full tank, baby seat. No passengers or driver.
Is that with CF roof or not?
__________________
lucid is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-04-2009, 03:59 AM   #169
Sticky
Banned
 
Drives: E92 Jerez DCT M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Anaheim Hills / Malibu

Posts: 2,244
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
Added Active Autowerke M3 X Pipe and Connecting Pipes to OP.
Was looking over the figures, and the AA exhaust does not seem to save much weight compared to the others.

Also, I believe you did not include the AA mufflers.
Sticky is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-04-2009, 08:28 AM   #170
mkoesel
Moderator
 
Drives: IB/PS M-DCT E93 M3
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI

Posts: 13,548
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
Is that with CF roof or not?
I think it's a sedan, right lucid? Probably he has the sun roof since he said all options.

Seems the sedan is heavier. I'd like to see that compared to a completely bare sedan, no ZTP (no EDC, no iDrive), no premium sound, no premium, no PDC, etc. I gotta believe all the options add up. Still, its heavier than a loaded coupe though.
__________________
2008 Interlagos Blue E93 M3 - FOR SALE - Engine failure at 95k miles.
Best offer takes it: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...1#post16279561
mkoesel is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-04-2009, 03:23 PM   #171
lucid
Major General
 
lucid's Avatar
 
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 8,034
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
I think it's a sedan, right lucid? Probably he has the sun roof since he said all options.

Seems the sedan is heavier. I'd like to see that compared to a completely bare sedan, no ZTP (no EDC, no iDrive), no premium sound, no premium, no PDC, etc. I gotta believe all the options add up. Still, its heavier than a loaded coupe though.
Yeah, I missed the sedan part.

Does the E90 M3 come with non-folding seats? If so, what's behind the seats? I remember us having a discussion on this earlier--that the chassis might be reinforced behind the seats on cars with non-folding seats for the E46 3-series I think. If so, that might also heavier, but I don't know the options on the E90 M3. Anyway, vague memories...
__________________
lucid is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-11-2009, 11:43 AM   #172
pepper
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 0 degrees

Posts: 262
iTrader: (1)

170 grams ( .37 pounds ) for the drivers side key lock.
pepper is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-05-2009, 05:23 PM   #173
ddnad123
Registered
 
Drives: e92 m3
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: charlotte, nc

Posts: 2
iTrader: (0)

OEM seats and coilovers

Do the original M3 seats contain airbags?
There are racing shells like the Recaro Profi SPA which weigh only 8.8 pounds each but I don't know if that will delete the side airbags.
If it's just a sensor that's in the seat that could probably be transplanted.

Also, I was wondering if anyone looked into weight savings from coilovers like these:
http://www.kw-suspension.com/en/30_P...port/index.php

That would save on the original springs which are usully heavy.

Very informative post.
Thanks
ddnad123 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-05-2009, 07:33 PM   #174
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
tom @ eas's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Anaheim, CA

Posts: 9,895
iTrader: (13)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddnad123 View Post
Do the original M3 seats contain airbags?
There are racing shells like the Recaro Profi SPA which weigh only 8.8 pounds each but I don't know if that will delete the side airbags.
If it's just a sensor that's in the seat that could probably be transplanted.

Also, I was wondering if anyone looked into weight savings from coilovers like these:
http://www.kw-suspension.com/en/30_P...port/index.php

That would save on the original springs which are usully heavy.

Very informative post.
Thanks
Yes, OEM M3 seats contain airbags. The OC3 sensor is part of the seat leather and cannot be ordered seperately.

We have a Occupancy module that will be released soon for those running race seats and remove the errors.
__________________
Tom G. | european auto source (eas)
email: tom@europeanautosource.com web: www.europeanautosource.com tel 866.669.0705 ca: 714.369.8524 x22

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG FACEBOOK YOUTUBE FLICKR INSTAGRAM
tom @ eas is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-05-2009, 09:03 PM   #175
lucid
Major General
 
lucid's Avatar
 
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 8,034
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddnad123 View Post
Also, I was wondering if anyone looked into weight savings from coilovers like these:
http://www.kw-suspension.com/en/30_P...port/index.php
I have not seen any data on stock or aftermarket suspension components, but that would be great to know.
__________________
lucid is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-05-2009, 09:15 PM   #176
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
tom @ eas's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Anaheim, CA

Posts: 9,895
iTrader: (13)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
I have not seen any data on stock or aftermarket suspension components, but that would be great to know.
badfish covered it pretty well here: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...ht#post2756528

I'll have to dig up our notes as well during the swap.
__________________
Tom G. | european auto source (eas)
email: tom@europeanautosource.com web: www.europeanautosource.com tel 866.669.0705 ca: 714.369.8524 x22

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG FACEBOOK YOUTUBE FLICKR INSTAGRAM
tom @ eas is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:40 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST