BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

INDustry distribution

12-11-2016, 07:15 PM   #1
opihi5
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 m3

Camber plates..

Can someone explain how Dinan's fixed camber plates work. Since they are fixed, will they automatically add -.7 degrees of negative camber, or will they have to be adjusted to the desired camber I need?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2016, 09:41 AM   #2
m3m3mr
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by opihi5 View Post
Can someone explain how Dinan's fixed camber plates work. Since they are fixed, will they automatically add -.7 degrees of negative camber, or will they have to be adjusted to the desired camber I need?

Thanks

Dinan camber plates are not adjustable.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2016, 01:17 PM   #3
cenix
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 ZCP, F15

No adjustability. You install them and that's what you get. Be aware that they add a little height in the amount of its thickness to your front suspension.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2016, 01:23 PM   #4
opihi5
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cenix View Post
No adjustability. You install them and that's what you get. Be aware that they add a little height in the amount of its thickness to your front suspension.

So in theory after I install them I will have the same camber on each side before an alignment since they are completely unadjustable.
I figured they would be a good option for auto x
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2016, 03:13 PM   #5
cenix
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 ZCP, F15

Quote:
So in theory after I install them I will have the same camber on each side before an alignment since they are completely unadjustable.
I figured they would be a good option for auto x
In theory yes, in reality probably not since the car has factory variances which mean your camber may not be exact side to side. My opinion, get some Vorshlag plates and get it done right the first time especially if you will be autox'ing. You will be able to change settings to your driving preferences as you improve. Dinan doesn't allow that.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2016, 05:13 PM   #6
opihi5
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
In theory yes, in reality probably not since the car has factory variances which mean your camber may not be exact side to side. My opinion, get some Vorshlag plates and get it done right the first time especially if you will be autox'ing. You will be able to change settings to your driving preferences as you improve. Dinan doesn't allow that.
What shops in socal would install the plates/adjust them.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2016, 06:33 PM   #7
macdude357
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: IB E90 M3

Quote:
Depends on where you live.

EAS in Anaheim
MRF Engineering in Lake Forest
Oceanside Motorsports in Oceanside
Independent Motorcars in Miramar

I'm in San Diego and had mine installed by Independent Motorcars. However, they don't do alignments so I had Malek at MRF do the alignment. He marked the plates for track and street settings. Once you've done that, it's easy to swap between them. If you are jacking up the car to swap wheels or pads, it's just a couple of minutes to loosen the nuts on the top of the strut and adjust the plate.
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2016, 08:31 PM   #8
opihi5
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdude357 View Post
Depends on where you live.

EAS in Anaheim
MRF Engineering in Lake Forest
Oceanside Motorsports in Oceanside
Independent Motorcars in Miramar

I'm in San Diego and had mine installed by Independent Motorcars. However, they don't do alignments so I had Malek at MRF do the alignment. He marked the plates for track and street settings. Once you've done that, it's easy to swap between them. If you are jacking up the car to swap wheels or pads, it's just a couple of minutes to loosen the nuts on the top of the strut and adjust the plate.
Thanks for the info, the reason I wanted to go with Dinan is because I won't be tracking/autoX often, maybe a few times a year. How much was it to get them installed, I am putting in springs soon so I might do it myself.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2016, 09:47 PM   #9
opihi5
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I've looked around and found that Dinan plates actually raise the car 3/8 inches. Is this true for the m3? And are e36 bump stops a direct replacement for our cars?
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2016, 01:00 PM   #10
Richbot
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

Dinan camber plates are adjustable within the new range you get, using the factory slotted strut mount holes. They contribute about -.7 degrees of additional negative camber, so for instance if you were able to adjust between -1 and -1.5 before, now you can adjust between -1.7 and -.2.2. They are "fixed" in that they don't have any adjustment built into them, but the car has some adjustment built in and it uses the factory holes. You might lose a bit of that range because the plate might bump up against the strut tower all the way to the "least negative" outboard side, but there's still some adjustment left for sure.

<- has them with ZCP springs, about -2.3 or -2.4 degrees maxed out

They do add 1/4" to the stack height. For whatever it's worth, adding ZCP springs + the dinan plates still lowered my '08 by more than 8mm up front (hard to get an exact measurement for obvious reasons; old springs had lots of miles, yada)

Last edited by Richbot; 12-14-2016 at 01:14 PM.
Appreciate 1
      12-14-2016, 08:20 PM   #11
macdude357
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: IB E90 M3

Quote:
How much was it to get them installed, I am putting in springs soon so I might do it myself.
I can't remember off hand. Maybe $250?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 01:02 PM   #12
elim11
Major
Rep
Drives: e90m3

Quote:
Quote:
West end. They installed and aligned.
      01-13-2017, 09:53 AM   #13
burnurass
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 DCT

They are kind of a scam with that -0.7 additional negative camber number. that includes removing the alignment pin on top of the shock tower. The plate itself does not net you -0.7. This is from Personal experience with an E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2017, 03:17 PM   #14
Richbot
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnurass View Post
They are kind of a scam with that -0.7 additional negative camber number. that includes removing the alignment pin on top of the shock tower. The plate itself does not net you -0.7. This is from Personal experience with an E92 M3
This is not true on my car. Got almost exactly .7 degrees. With zcp springs and the strut pushed all the way in I have about -2.4 on both sides. Pulling pins on a zcp spring car is usually good for about -1.6-1.7
      01-13-2017, 11:29 PM   #15
pbonsalb
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 M3, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

It's not hard to jack up the front end, remove the wheel, undo the head light adjuster, undo the sway bar link, undo the 3 strut nuts, push the strut down, carefully pull it down and under the fender lip (unless you want to do this inside the wheel well), tap out the 3 stock studs, stick the Dinan fixed adapter plate on top (which is why they add 1/4 inch), and reinstall. I ran them many years ago on an E36 before moving on to Vorshlag plates -- which are excellent and durable but may give a minimum negative that is too much on some cars (can't get less than -2.75 on my lowered E36).
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2017, 08:21 PM   #16
opihi5
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
This is not true on my car. Got almost exactly .7 degrees. With zcp springs and the strut pushed all the way in I have about -2.4 on both sides. Pulling pins on a zcp spring car is usually good for about -1.6-1.7
I decided to just go with the pins. Set each side to 1.5 since i do daily it.
Appreciate 0