BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

GTB Performance

04-12-2008, 12:00 AM   #1
e90im
Brigadier General

Drives: f30

Bush Scandals List

INTRODUCTION: George Bush, the Connecticut cowboy, the good old boy from Yale is a man of mediocre intelligence, little imagination, and great stubbornness and vindictiveness. He may be the Decider but his handlers have long known how to manipulate him. The key is to hook him with short, simple sells. Karl Rove, Dick Cheney, and Condoleezza Rice knew that once he has consulted his gut and perhaps his higher father his decision is forever. So whoever gets to him first is likely to carry the day because he doesn't like to be challenged and is, quite simply, too lazy to change his mind. The Bubble is a natural consequence of this decision making process where logic, reason, and facts have little or no role.
....Bush's Presidency began in the shadow of a contested and likely stolen election and promised to be unsuccessful in a largely forgettable and unremarkable way. 911 changed all that and transformed a plodding, and essentially AWOL one termer into an accidental hero. Enormous power flowed to his office but Bush had no idea how to use it. He liked to campaign, not govern. In those around him, he prized loyalty over competence and honesty. A believer in the notion of "to the victor go the spoils," he was the perfect mark for every conniver, bumbler, bungler, hack, hanger on, and would be crony that Karl Rove, Dick Cheney, and their friends could find. In the normal course of things, this would have spelled failure. Post-911, it was catastrophic.
....At this critical juncture in our history we needed an adult but got an adolescent. Instead of responsibility, we got a truant. In place of flexibility we got obduracy. In the face of great and complex challenges, we got strawmen, a black and white universe, my way or the highway, regurgitated stump speeches, and a steadfast refusal to compromise not just with opponents but with reality.
....What all this comes down to is that George Bush should never have become our President. He is not just a bad President but the worst one we could have had, the worst our country has ever seen. This is a judgment that many Americans have come to but which our political establishment and media, even after 7 years, have yet to acknowledge, accept, and act on. This is the tragedy and crime of our times.

Here's a few...

1. Walter Reed outpatient treatment, poor living conditions, undelivered mail, lack of caseworkers to oversee and facilitate patient care for amputees, brain injured, and psychologically disabled veterans; Walter Reed is not the only military hospital about which questions have been raised; also out there the underfunding of the VA.

2. Firing of US attorneys. Most of the country's 93 US attorneys are usually replaced within the first 2 years of a new administration and this is what happened when Bush came into office in 2001. US attorneys are political appointees and are chosen to reflect the policy priorities of a President. Still their primary job is to uphold the law, and the law is not supposed to be partisan. Karl Rove, of course, had other ideas. He believes that government should be politicized and populated with compliant partisan hacks loyal to him and his.

3. Plamegate. Scooter Libby Chief of Staff to the Vice President was convicted on March 6, 2007 on two counts of perjury before the Grand Jury and one count each of obstruction of justice and making false statements to the FBI.

4. Iraq: axis of evil, lack of preparation for occupation, looting, including the National Museum, too few troops, lack of training, lack of equipment, lack of securing loose Iraqi munitions, disbanding the Iraqi army, banning the Baathists, the CPA, cronyism, Paul Bremer, losing tons of money literally, lack of international inclusion in reconstruction and security, weak Constitution, formation of sectarian parties, weak government, denial of actual conditions in Iraq, for example, its civil war, ignoring 4 years of failed policies and the basic proposal of the Iraq Study Group to withdraw, escalating instead, continuing lack of any discernible mission.

5. Afghanistan, transferring resources to Iraq before the job was finished, the results: a resurgent Taliban, continuing warlordism, and exploding opium production. On January 30, 2008, three independent non-partisan reports on Afghanistan by the Center for the Study of the Presidency (Jones-Pickering), the Atlantic Council, and the National Defense University concluded that Afghanistan has been neglected and is in danger of becoming a failed state and that a new comprehensive policy for it is needed. You would think that after 6 years we would have one by now but this is the Bush Administration we are talking about.

6. Osama bin Laden, where are you? The blown opportunity at Tora Bora. Al Qaeda, the Taliban, and the roles of Pakistan and Saudi Arabia in terrorism. Pakistan's intelligence service the ISI created the Taliban. Despite $11 billion in US aid from 2001 through 2007, the government of Pervez Musharraf continues to give it safe haven in Pakistan. As for al Qaeda, those efforts which do occur are limited and often timed to the visits of American dignitaries. In addition, Bush's oft stated policy of spreading democracy was dealt a blow when Musharraf fearing a Supreme Court decision preventing him from holding the Presidency and remaining Chief of Staff of the armed forces declared a state of emergency and instituted martial law on November 3, 2007.
....The Saudis for their part fund radical madrassas throughout the Moslem world and have a domestic educational system run by the most extreme of their homegrown extremists. Saudi and Gulf oil dollars find their way to many terrorist groups as well as the Sunni insurgency in Iraq.

7. Civilian contractors; also no bid contracts; in Iraq Halliburton tainted food and water, overpriced gas; Blackwater use of private security contractors, what used to be called mercenaries, with little or no accountability

8. Hurricanes Rita and Katrina, the destruction of New Orleans, FEMA and "Heck of a job, Brownie," lack of preparation, lack of emergency aid, slowness of reconstruction, Bush ignores for days then gives address from Jackson Square in New Orleans promising aid which never comes or much of which goes to politically connected outstate no bid contractors, disparity between response to Louisiana and Republican Trent Lott's Mississippi; Bush refuses to waive 10% state match for federal funds (waived in many previous disasters) increasing the bureaucratic paperwork, reducing aid to affected areas, and further slowing and complicating rebuilding.

f30 e92 tt S5 e92 350z e90
e90im is offline   United_States
      04-26-2008, 05:36 PM   #2
JB 330ci
Resident "Spook"

Drives: 03 330ci, 08 335i, 08 A5,

1. Walter Reed, These problems were evident even before Bush came into office. The VA has a history of being understaffed and not receiving enough money. This problem became magnified after the war in Afghanistan and Iraq.

The Secretary of the Army and the Department of Veterans Affairs are the real culprits here. I donít see how you can link Bush to this problem. Furthermore, Congress makes and passes the budget, so the real failure was in Congress.

2. Firing of US Attorneys.
You just said yourself that these attorneys are political appointees and now you question why Bush fired them. Kind of Hypocritical there.

3. Scooter Libby, Bush lackey gets busted, did you expect the President not to pardon him? So what is the issue here?

4. Iraq, Regardless of how people feel on Iraq and the execution of the Iraqi War (Which Bush is responsible for I will not argue that) we are stuck there. Is there a solution to the Iraqi problem?

5. Afghanistan, here we run into the same problem, Iraq is the main focus and more important than Afghanistan so Iím not surprised at what has happened there. If we sent 100,000 troops in Afghanistan and pumped billions of dollars into the economy Iím sure Afghan would be stable by now (2008).

6. OBL is near Afghan and Pakistan, in a remote area. We will be looking for him for a long time. Does this personally go back to Bush? How? Or is this the result of personalities below him or over in Afghanistan.

7. Contractors are everywhere, your point? They fill a need and do their job. It may not be efficient but is there another option available? Do you really want supplies in a War Theatre supplied by the lowest bidder?

KBR and Halliburton were two companies capable of accomplishing the job required by the contracts from DoD or other services/government agencies. They got the contracts because they have the expertise, personnel, and equipment to get the job done. It may not be cheap but no other options were available at the time.

8. I hate the fact people continue to blame the Federal Govít for the response to Katrina and Rita. If you read how the FEMA acts and responds you will find out the state must request federal help. The real blame lies at the Local and State level for not moving fast enough to request federal help/support. Furthermore, there was no pre-staging of assets at the state, and local level as well, since they expected the Federal Government to supply everythingÖand look what happened.

Additionally, the people of New Orleans are at fault as well, not moving when a Cat 4 Hurricane come to your city is just asinine.

People are so dependent on government (Federal) nowadays.

You forget the fact FEMA supplied credit cards to a many people in New Orleans and the surrounding areas, and look what they bought with it, new luxury cars, strippers, luxury homes, plasma TVs, not what I would expect from a Federal Disaster Area.
      04-27-2008, 12:05 PM   #3
e90im
Brigadier General

If you are not profiting from Bush failures or are not related to him, please stop the cheerleading because you are screwed, like the rest of us. You are not on HIS team. Can't you understand that it's not Dems vs GOP, it's us vs them.
Wake up dude.

04-27-2008, 12:35 PM   #4
!Xoible
Banned

Drives: ....

Garage List
2008 M3  [3.50]
2007 335i  [4.50]
2008 528i  [4.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [4.00]
*subscribed
!Xoible is offline   United_States
      04-27-2008, 08:25 PM   #5
JB 330ci
Resident "Spook"

Drives: 03 330ci, 08 335i, 08 A5,

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90im View Post
If you are not profiting from Bush failures or are not related to him, please stop the cheerleading because you are screwed, like the rest of us. You are not on HIS team. Can't you understand that it's not Dems vs GOP, it's us vs them.
Wake up dude.
??? That is a great response if I ever saw one. Got any other opinions to add?

I am not "screwed" or anything of the sort. Maybe its about time to read, research, present facts, present theory, and then post something we can discuss.

Close-mindedness and ignorance will be the downfall of this country, not one man named George Bush.
      04-27-2008, 10:15 PM   #6
e90im
Brigadier General

For now, he seems to be enough.

04-30-2008, 01:13 PM   #7
koreancow
Private

Drives: bmw 335i coupe 2007

lol
      05-17-2008, 02:59 PM   #8
caudalM3

Drives: 2008 AW M3 6MT

Alot of unforseen events happen in life and the President can't be held acocuntable for everything that happens, he is not G-d and cannot pull the strings as he wishes to make everything go perfectly.

What I do fault President Bush for is the lack of foresight to avoid the avoidable events and to use his bully pulpet power to help promote the interests of the nation in times of trouble instead of using it to promote his/his supporters/his inner circle's political agenda over the interests of the nation as a whole.
caudalM3 is offline   United_States
      05-17-2008, 05:44 PM   #9
fedinand
Major

Drives: '11 X3, '11 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by caudalM3 View Post
Alot of unforseen events happen in life and the President can't be held acocuntable for everything that happens, he is not G-d and cannot pull the strings as he wishes to make everything go perfectly.

What I do fault President Bush for is the lack of foresight to avoid the avoidable events and to use his bully pulpet power to help promote the interests of the nation in times of trouble instead of using it to promote his/his supporters/his inner circle's political agenda over the interests of the nation as a whole.
And there is the crux of the issue - personal gain over the good of the country. ..and people actually believe the Repubs give a damn about the working person.
fedinand is offline   United_States
      05-17-2008, 05:45 PM   #10
fedinand
Major

Quote:
For now, he seems to be enough.
      05-17-2008, 05:45 PM   #11
Solonng
Captain

Drives: Monacco Blue 335i coupe

Quote:
Wake up dude.
AMEN
      05-17-2008, 06:07 PM   #12
fedinand
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB 330ci View Post
5. Afghanistan, here we run into the same problem, Iraq is the main focus and more important than Afghanistan so I’m not surprised at what has happened there. If we sent 100,000 troops in Afghanistan and pumped billions of dollars into the economy I’m sure Afghan would be stable by now (2008).

6. OBL is near Afghan and Pakistan, in a remote area. We will be looking for him for a long time. Does this personally go back to Bush? How? Or is this the result of personalities below him or over in Afghanistan.
If we weren't Iraq (why the hell you think its more important than Afghanistan is beyond me) we would have had a much better chance of getting OBL - we had direct proof of the Taliban aiding OBL - and still have nothing on Iraq. Why is it more important again?

Quote:
8. I hate the fact people continue to blame the Federal Gov’t for the response to Katrina and Rita. If you read how the FEMA acts and responds you will find out the state must request federal help. The real blame lies at the Local and State level for not moving fast enough to request federal help/support. Furthermore, there was no pre-staging of assets at the state, and local level as well, since they expected the Federal Government to supply everything…and look what happened.

Additionally, the people of New Orleans are at fault as well, not moving when a Cat 4 Hurricane come to your city is just asinine.

People are so dependent on government (Federal) nowadays.
I bet you do - most people died because they couldn't get out - a lot of poor people don't have cars/transportation so they relied on Gov't to help them get out - and they died when they didn't come for days. Why were private citizens and the media there days before the Federal Gov't? Where was the National Guard and the equipment that could have gotten the people out and save countless lives....oh yeah it/they were in Irag, (that war that is more important than Afghanistan).

Do you repubs always blame the victims? I still think if the people of New Orleans held up signs saying "there are white people here and they are dying too" Help from the fed Gov't would have been there sooner..I know that is crass...but I'm only half kidding.

Last edited by fedinand; 05-17-2008 at 06:33 PM.
      05-17-2008, 06:11 PM   #13
Solonng
Captain

blah!
      05-17-2008, 06:21 PM   #14
fedinand
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solonng View Post
blah!
That is actually the most intelligent thing you have posted today.
      05-17-2008, 06:35 PM   #15
Solonng
Captain

aww, cute..thank you so much!