BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
BPM Sport
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-07-2008, 04:05 PM   #1
hl0m4n
Brigadier General
 
hl0m4n's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: NY

Posts: 4,847
iTrader: (42)

Talking Lets Talk Mods :)

lets talk mods. here are my perdictions/expectations and mod list if i had an m3 . now this is just the moderate spec sheet for me. hardcore would include motons along with other goodies your thoughts and opinions on the NA goodness?

Exterior:
Vorsteiner: boot lid, diffuser, vented hood, and front bumper w/ splitters.
Rims: Neez QD7/Gunmetal Morr VS8/ Rac RG4 On Toyo/PS2/F1 Tires.
35% HO Tint
halo upgrade

Interior:
C/F trim, paddles, knob, e-brake, alcantara ebrake and shift boot, v1 hardwire, m floor mats, rubber trunk mat, euro fog switch, csl seats and doors

Performance:
Round 1: SS Exhaust, ecu, pulley, cai, headers
Round 2: AP racing clutch/UCC, diff, etc
Round 3: F/I or N/A CSL Airbox
Round 4: C/f Driveshaft
Round 5: Cams

Cosmetic & Handling:
Vorsetiner c/f engine cover, c/f oil filter cap, radenergie c/f strut, kw v2
__________________
Cars: 07 335i ► 09 328i ► 11 328xi ► 13 M3
Reviews: 335i Supersprint Exhaust, C/F Trim Wrap, Alcantara Boots, VMR V710, Saikou Michi OCC, Royal Steering Wheel
For Sale:
Want To Buy:

Last edited by hl0m4n; 04-08-2008 at 09:48 AM.
hl0m4n is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-07-2008, 04:08 PM   #2
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
 
KonigsTiger's Avatar
 
Drives: E92M3 RS46 Club Sport, others
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dweller

Posts: 4,398
iTrader: (0)

Why ever would you change the pulley on this car. Cams?? They are double VANOS, difficult to change these!!!!
__________________
==================================================
KonigsTiger is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-07-2008, 04:28 PM   #3
hl0m4n
Brigadier General
 
hl0m4n's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: NY

Posts: 4,847
iTrader: (42)

it's a na engine. e46 m3 had pulley and they did wonders for inexpensive mod so why not on the new m3? and for the vanos wasn't the s54 double vanos?

cams are still a possability, i don't see why not. expecting great things from kellener's sport.
__________________
Cars: 07 335i ► 09 328i ► 11 328xi ► 13 M3
Reviews: 335i Supersprint Exhaust, C/F Trim Wrap, Alcantara Boots, VMR V710, Saikou Michi OCC, Royal Steering Wheel
For Sale:
Want To Buy:
hl0m4n is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-07-2008, 04:31 PM   #4
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
 
KonigsTiger's Avatar
 
Drives: E92M3 RS46 Club Sport, others
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dweller

Posts: 4,398
iTrader: (0)

Don't know about the S54 really!!! I realize its na, so why would a pulley make more power on an na engin. I can see how that would make a huge difference on a forced induction as you increase the speed of the trubine with a smaller pulley, but not on an na car. How would you do that?
__________________
==================================================
KonigsTiger is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-07-2008, 04:41 PM   #5
asaulo1
Lieutenant
 
asaulo1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe, alp white
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Santa Clarita, CA.

Posts: 568
iTrader: (0)

maybe.. and this is just a maybe.... a lighter pulley so it draws less from the engine to spin ? maybe :? I know with my mini, I changed the supercharger pulley as you said to make the s/c spin faster hence more boost but people also changed the crank pulley to a lighter one for less draw on the engine....

Last edited by asaulo1; 04-07-2008 at 04:42 PM. Reason: misspell
asaulo1 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-07-2008, 04:48 PM   #6
skierman64
Brigadier General
 
skierman64's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 Space Gray M3 & E36M3
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Greater St Louis Metro area

Posts: 3,068
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
1998 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2008 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
Send a message via Yahoo to skierman64
The alternator on the M3 motor doesn't generate power under high engine loads. The advantage of an underdrive pulley would be minimized I think.

My car will probably remain mostly stock.
__________________
Get a professional motorsports full featured stopwatch app for your Blackberry here: http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/19464
Invest Wisely...The best mod for your money?? BMWCCA high performance driver's school. The mod that lasts a lifetime and improves the performance of any car you drive
skierman64 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-07-2008, 04:48 PM   #7
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
 
KonigsTiger's Avatar
 
Drives: E92M3 RS46 Club Sport, others
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dweller

Posts: 4,398
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by asaulo1 View Post
maybe.. and this is just a maybe.... a lighter pulley so it draws less from the engine to spin ? maybe :? I know with my mini, I changed the supercharger pulley as you said to make the s/c spin faster hence more boost but people also changed the crank pulley to a lighter one for less draw on the engine....
OK, if we're talking the crank!! Then its a different story altogether!!! Yes, a lighter and stronger crank may be able to yield a few more horeses, but the pulley? Only in a SC car!!!! Now usually when you talk about changing the crank, it will make very little difference in an of itself if you don´t follow with other mods to increase engine speed etc...
__________________
==================================================
KonigsTiger is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-07-2008, 05:02 PM   #8
Epacy
Reincarnated
 
Epacy's Avatar
 
Drives: 02 Maxima SE
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: IL

Posts: 4,227
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
I think you need more CF in your lists...
__________________
Epacy is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-07-2008, 05:09 PM   #9
!Xoible
Banned
 
Drives: ....
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: .

Posts: 46,037
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 M3  [3.50]
2007 335i  [4.50]
2008 528i  [4.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [4.00]
gears would be something worth looking into
!Xoible is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-07-2008, 06:07 PM   #10
hl0m4n
Brigadier General
 
hl0m4n's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: NY

Posts: 4,847
iTrader: (42)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantis View Post
gears would be something worth looking into
o shit bro true that can't believe i forgot about that.

and for the pulley it really isn't a debate. alot of e46 owners got the bhs or rogue pulleys and generated a good 3-4whp out of the cheap upgrade so doing this again on an m3 will be great. i dont know the specifics but i don't think the pulley we are talking about are the same.

the pulley on the e46 m3 involved the water pulley along with another forgot name. but it does work and has been proven and im a hardcore m3 dude .
__________________
Cars: 07 335i ► 09 328i ► 11 328xi ► 13 M3
Reviews: 335i Supersprint Exhaust, C/F Trim Wrap, Alcantara Boots, VMR V710, Saikou Michi OCC, Royal Steering Wheel
For Sale:
Want To Buy:
hl0m4n is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-07-2008, 06:32 PM   #11
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
 
KonigsTiger's Avatar
 
Drives: E92M3 RS46 Club Sport, others
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dweller

Posts: 4,398
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hl0m4n View Post
o shit bro true that can't believe i forgot about that.

and for the pulley it really isn't a debate. alot of e46 owners got the bhs or rogue pulleys and generated a good 3-4whp out of the cheap upgrade so doing this again on an m3 will be great. i dont know the specifics but i don't think the pulley we are talking about are the same.

the pulley on the e46 m3 involved the water pulley along with another forgot name. but it does work and has been proven and im a hardcore m3 dude .
Just trying to learn and figure out why it works!!! That's all!!!!!! Not trying to create an argument. My apologies!!!!!!
__________________
==================================================
KonigsTiger is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-07-2008, 09:20 PM   #12
hl0m4n
Brigadier General
 
hl0m4n's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: NY

Posts: 4,847
iTrader: (42)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-M-Mexico View Post
Just trying to learn and figure out why it works!!! That's all!!!!!! Not trying to create an argument. My apologies!!!!!!
misunderstanding, nothing against you either lol. just do a search on m3forum.net and you will see alot of results
__________________
Cars: 07 335i ► 09 328i ► 11 328xi ► 13 M3
Reviews: 335i Supersprint Exhaust, C/F Trim Wrap, Alcantara Boots, VMR V710, Saikou Michi OCC, Royal Steering Wheel
For Sale:
Want To Buy:
hl0m4n is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-08-2008, 02:00 AM   #13
Salespunk
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: Slow
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SlowCal

Posts: 338
iTrader: (0)

The pulley is an underdrive for the accessories such as waterpump, alternator, etc. The theory is that the stock pulley drives the accessories much faster than they need to be and the underdrive cuts down on parasitic losses on the motor.
Salespunk is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-08-2008, 02:06 AM   #14
gorun
Lieutenant
 
gorun's Avatar
 
Drives: W166 ML63 PP
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Where the roads are crap...

Posts: 515
iTrader: (0)

why would you ruin the car like that?
gorun is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-08-2008, 09:00 AM   #15
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
 
KonigsTiger's Avatar
 
Drives: E92M3 RS46 Club Sport, others
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dweller

Posts: 4,398
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
The pulley is an underdrive for the accessories such as waterpump, alternator, etc. The theory is that the stock pulley drives the accessories much faster than they need to be and the underdrive cuts down on parasitic losses on the motor.
OK, thanks for the info!!! Seems like you may gain a very, very small amount of hp's doing that!! But would have to try it one day!!! Probably not for me if not recommended by Dinan or someone like that!
__________________
==================================================
KonigsTiger is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-08-2008, 09:29 AM   #16
hl0m4n
Brigadier General
 
hl0m4n's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: NY

Posts: 4,847
iTrader: (42)

pulley gain you a 3-4whp gain for $200-$300 max which isn't bad at all
__________________
Cars: 07 335i ► 09 328i ► 11 328xi ► 13 M3
Reviews: 335i Supersprint Exhaust, C/F Trim Wrap, Alcantara Boots, VMR V710, Saikou Michi OCC, Royal Steering Wheel
For Sale:
Want To Buy:
hl0m4n is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-08-2008, 09:40 AM   #17
GT3 Tim
Moderator
 
GT3 Tim's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sacramento, CA

Posts: 1,897
iTrader: (0)

Well, when I had my E36 M3, I was able to get 75 RWHP more out of it via cams, intake manifold, headers, exhaust, and tuning.

I do not think there is near that potential in the E90/92/93. I think the motor is already fairly highly strung...

Cams with a software tune will prolly be the biggest HP gain to be had, as always, but I bet you can prolly only get about 30-35hp more out of the motor when all is said and done (with exahaust, headers, etc.).

Of course, theoretically, there is more to be had....I think the new ALMS M3 is boasting about 485 HP from the motor, but keep in mind, that is a race motor...good for 5-10 hours of use most likely. Even the GT3 cup motors, which are not a big jump in hp, require a total tear-down and rebuild every 50-100 hours.

So, if you think you are gonna get big hp gains from this motor, I think you are mistaken. Motors in high end "sports cars" today appear to be farily maxed out right out of the box. I don't think there is much to be had without sacrificing reliability.

If I decide to mod my car, it will most likely be external parts. I don't think I will even touch the cams. I would prolly do exhaust, intake, and software. If it turn out there is a decent gain from headers, I may go there too, but that would prolly be it.

I guess once the tuners get a grasp on everything, we will know what the potential truly is, but I bet the gains will be smaller from what we have seen in the past....If you think about it, I started with 189 rwhp in my car, stock (my E36 M3). After all the mods and tuning, I was at 264 RWHP. That is about a 40% increase in power! Now, if we take the E92's motor, that would be a whopping 580 hp or so. lol. Wouldn't that be nice....but it aint gonna happen.
__________________
Tim (apparently likes "3" cars)
E90 M3 -- Current ride
2004 GT3 -- Sold
1997 M3/4 -- Sold
1995 M3 -- Sold
GT3 Tim is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-08-2008, 09:52 AM   #18
lucid
Major General
 
lucid's Avatar
 
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 8,034
iTrader: (0)

Or, you can install a rebuilt modified 4.5l engine from Dinan for who knows how much!

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132499
__________________
lucid is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-08-2008, 11:38 AM   #19
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
 
KonigsTiger's Avatar
 
Drives: E92M3 RS46 Club Sport, others
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dweller

Posts: 4,398
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT3 Tim View Post
Well, when I had my E36 M3, I was able to get 75 RWHP more out of it via cams, intake manifold, headers, exhaust, and tuning.

I do not think there is near that potential in the E90/92/93. I think the motor is already fairly highly strung...

Cams with a software tune will prolly be the biggest HP gain to be had, as always, but I bet you can prolly only get about 30-35hp more out of the motor when all is said and done (with exahaust, headers, etc.).

Of course, theoretically, there is more to be had....I think the new ALMS M3 is boasting about 485 HP from the motor, but keep in mind, that is a race motor...good for 5-10 hours of use most likely. Even the GT3 cup motors, which are not a big jump in hp, require a total tear-down and rebuild every 50-100 hours.

So, if you think you are gonna get big hp gains from this motor, I think you are mistaken. Motors in high end "sports cars" today appear to be farily maxed out right out of the box. I don't think there is much to be had without sacrificing reliability.

If I decide to mod my car, it will most likely be external parts. I don't think I will even touch the cams. I would prolly do exhaust, intake, and software. If it turn out there is a decent gain from headers, I may go there too, but that would prolly be it.

I guess once the tuners get a grasp on everything, we will know what the potential truly is, but I bet the gains will be smaller from what we have seen in the past....If you think about it, I started with 189 rwhp in my car, stock (my E36 M3). After all the mods and tuning, I was at 264 RWHP. That is about a 40% increase in power! Now, if we take the E92's motor, that would be a whopping 580 hp or so. lol. Wouldn't that be nice....but it aint gonna happen.
I entirely agree, I think you may be able to squeeze out about +/-450 hp with aftermarket intake, ECU, exhaust and maybe an additional 10hp with cams, pulley, etc… maybe. I generally believe the limit is probably around 460 hp for our cars unless you go really wild with reliability etc… or, of course, go the forced induction rout that IMO will cost at least $15K to do it well.
__________________
==================================================
KonigsTiger is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-08-2008, 12:45 PM   #20
GT3 Tim
Moderator
 
GT3 Tim's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sacramento, CA

Posts: 1,897
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-M-Mexico View Post
I entirely agree, I think you may be able to squeeze out about +/-450 hp with aftermarket intake, ECU, exhaust and maybe an additional 10hp with cams, pulley, etc… maybe. I generally believe the limit is probably around 460 hp for our cars unless you go really wild with reliability etc… or, of course, go the forced induction rout that IMO will cost at least $15K to do it well.
Yeah FI is possible...somebody will do it! And yeah, it will be crazy expensive I bet. Screw that. I am "older" now, so I am not AS tempted as I used to be
__________________
Tim (apparently likes "3" cars)
E90 M3 -- Current ride
2004 GT3 -- Sold
1997 M3/4 -- Sold
1995 M3 -- Sold
GT3 Tim is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-08-2008, 01:29 PM   #21
ersin
Brigadier General
 
ersin's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 IB E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Maryland

Posts: 4,068
iTrader: (1)

My upgrade plan

Tier 1 mods (must do, and do early):
a) window tint
b) clear bra or something similar
c) hardwire Valentine 1
d) install laser jammer
e) acquire road safety kit (first-aid kit, fire extinguisher, triangle, tools, etc.)
f) floor mats (no BMW mats, coco mats for me)

Tier 2 mods (cheap)
a) valve stem caps
b) strut brace
c) replace sway bars and bushings (maybe?)
d) lights - outside (replace angel eye bulbs, black out rear lights, etc.) and inside (xenon color interior lights?) and add euro switch to turn on rear fog lights
e) CDV delete or replace (maybe?)
f) stainless steel (or aluminum) pedal covers

Tier 3 mods (more expensive, but otherwise first)
a) wheels and tires
b) lowering springs
c) exhaust -- cat back only. Because OEM hangs down ugly and well, you just gotta do it.
d) CAI
e) vent the front brakes

Tier 4 mods (do when have time or when it starts getting old)
a) replace shift boot and hand brake boot (alcantara or interior matching leather)
b) replace shift knob and hand brake handle
c) cover upper dash in alcantara or black leather with M-stitching
d) cover paddles (if DCT) in leather, have circular opening where the "+" and "-" are

Tier 5 mods (electronics, fairly expensive)
a) add TV/video
b) add backup camera
c) add FLIR
d) add CB and/or HAM radio and antenna
e) add scanner

Tier 6 mods (body, expensive)
a) CF roof (if sedan)
b) CF trunk lid
c) CF hood
d) diffuser
e) front splitters
f) gull-wing/suicide/scissor doors (NOT)

Beyond that anything is still possible but not too likely. Changing any of these will definitely change the character of the car -- maybe to it's detriment.
o cams
o FI
o port, polish, blueprint and balance
o bore out cylinders, new pistons, etc.
o headers (probably not for public road use)
o hot tub
o fully stocked bar
o 2 to 3 bikini clad babes in back (remember I said not too likely)
__________________

I've been assimilated. 6MT/ZPP/18"/PS extended.
ersin is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-08-2008, 01:37 PM   #22
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
 
KonigsTiger's Avatar
 
Drives: E92M3 RS46 Club Sport, others
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dweller

Posts: 4,398
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT3 Tim View Post
Yeah FI is possible...somebody will do it! And yeah, it will be crazy expensive I bet. Screw that. I am "older" now, so I am not AS tempted as I used to be
Well I'm a bit older as well!!!! hahaha!!! I still love modifying my cars. They are not my daily drivers and do it only with reputable tuners.
__________________
==================================================
KonigsTiger is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:00 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST