BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
EclipsisNA
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-01-2008, 03:19 PM   #23
Pancho
Commander
 
Drives: BMW 530i
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Mexico

Posts: 222
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT3 Tim View Post
I drove the E92 and did not think it was notchy at all. If you want notchy, try a GT3! I think those that felt it was notchy prolly like the butter soft clutch as well. lol
Yes. When I mentioned the notchiness of the M3 to a friend with a 997 GT3, he told me to get used to it, it is common on MT. Also, you have to become accustomed to the variability. Sometimes the notchiness migrates to 2nd gear from the 1st and then to 3rd from 2nd.
Pancho is offline   Mexico
0
Reply With Quote
      04-01-2008, 03:21 PM   #24
!Xoible
Banned
 
Drives: ....
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: .

Posts: 46,037
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 M3  [3.50]
2007 335i  [4.50]
2008 528i  [4.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [4.00]
sportier clutches tend to do that. even my G35 was pretty damn notchy, it was like riding a mustang (like the horse, not Ford mustang)
!Xoible is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-01-2008, 07:06 PM   #25
Pancho
Commander
 
Drives: BMW 530i
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Mexico

Posts: 222
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantis View Post
sportier clutches tend to do that. even my G35 was pretty damn notchy, it was like riding a mustang (like the horse, not Ford mustang)
As Southlight has already mentioned, it is not the clutch what I am referring to Mantis but the shifter.
Pancho is offline   Mexico
0
Reply With Quote
      04-01-2008, 07:10 PM   #26
!Xoible
Banned
 
Drives: ....
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: .

Posts: 46,037
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 M3  [3.50]
2007 335i  [4.50]
2008 528i  [4.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancho View Post
As Southlight has already mentioned, it is not the clutch what I am referring to Mantis but the shifter.
gotcha. you feel like metal is kinda biting on each other, in other words a very light case of "grinding"??
coz i felt that even as the car was off when i was playing with the shifter
!Xoible is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-01-2008, 08:15 PM   #27
Pancho
Commander
 
Drives: BMW 530i
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Mexico

Posts: 222
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantis View Post
gotcha. you feel like metal is kinda biting on each other, in other words a very light case of "grinding"??
coz i felt that even as the car was off when i was playing with the shifter
Yep. That is the definition of notchy according to GregW. It is when gears collide against each other.
Pancho is offline   Mexico
0
Reply With Quote
      04-01-2008, 09:32 PM   #28
omerfar23
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2008 E92 335i, 2014 Corolla LE
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Baltimore, MD

Posts: 354
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancho View Post
Yes. When I mentioned the notchiness of the M3 to a friend with a 997 GT3, he told me to get used to it, it is common on MT. Also, you have to become accustomed to the variability. Sometimes the notchiness migrates to 2nd gear from the 1st and then to 3rd from 2nd.
I do not have M3 but a 335 but I can relate to the 'notchiness' feel in BMW manual transmission in question here. Originally when I got my car I didn't like the 6sp manual gearbox because of the notchy feel along with long throws. I even thought maybe there some technical problems.

My previous car was a Honda and I have driving Subaru 5spd over the years. Honda’s is one of the best transmission makers in the world. I researched online and found that bunch of people felt the notchy feel from MT. I also read professional review but on the contrary found that most journalists actually liked the manual transmission and though it was excellent.

So I was a little perplexed at first but I thought it was too late to do anything so I moved on. Long story short, now my car has 2k miles and I know understand why the transmission is excellent. First of all, I think most people experiencing the notchiness feel in tranny are not applying the clutch properly or new to a sports car tranny. Personally the ‘notichiness’’ along with relatively long throws in a MT is a good thing because it gives more of driving car feel rather driving a go-cart. It took me a while to understand this but I now appreciate a solid and heavy gearbox versus a light and loose one.

Now when I drive I Honda MT (2008 Honda Accord 5spd) the transmission feels like amateurish, MT gears designed for a kid where all the gears within inches of each other you confuse which gear you are in and there is a lot of play in the gears themselves. Where as the 335 6sp tranny is very precise, no play in gears you always know which gear you are in and solid shift feeling (when done right). No doubt the BMW 6sp is harder car to learn manual transmission but once mastered it is very rewarding since it provides feedback with every gear change.
omerfar23 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-01-2008, 10:07 PM   #29
corn on macabre
Registered
 
Drives: E92 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Columbus, Ohio

Posts: 4
iTrader: (0)

I definitely feel an occasional "bite" downshifting from 3rd to 2nd...I'm sort of worried, it doesn't seem right. Also my tranny seems to rattle between gears (specificially 1st and 2nd), though I've seen others on this forum complain about this noise I am still concerned. Maybe the problem will resolve itself after my 1200 mile service.
corn on macabre is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-01-2008, 10:14 PM   #30
sayemthree
Brigadier General
 
sayemthree's Avatar
 
Drives: bmw
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: usa

Posts: 4,844
iTrader: (0)

the e46 trans is a bit notchy- some consider it a good thing- if you get over the feel it works just fine.
sayemthree is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-02-2008, 12:45 AM   #31
Pancho
Commander
 
Drives: BMW 530i
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Mexico

Posts: 222
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn on macabre View Post
I definitely feel an occasional "bite" downshifting from 3rd to 2nd...I'm sort of worried, it doesn't seem right. Also my tranny seems to rattle between gears (specificially 1st and 2nd), though I've seen others on this forum complain about this noise I am still concerned. Maybe the problem will resolve itself after my 1200 mile service.
These two observations have come up frequently on this forum. The 1st is the notchiness we have discussed in detail in this thread and the 2nd is the known "clunk". The 1st will get better with use but will never correct completely. Both can be minimized with proper clutch application. Don't worry, it is normal and will not affect performance of vehicle.
Pancho is offline   Mexico
0
Reply With Quote
      04-02-2008, 09:43 AM   #32
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
 
KonigsTiger's Avatar
 
Drives: E92M3 RS46 Club Sport, others
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dweller

Posts: 4,398
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancho View Post
These two observations have come up frequently on this forum. The 1st is the notchiness we have discussed in detail in this thread and the 2nd is the known "clunk". The 1st will get better with use but will never correct completely. Both can be minimized with proper clutch application. Don't worry, it is normal and will not affect performance of vehicle.
+1!!!
__________________
==================================================
KonigsTiger is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-02-2008, 02:56 PM   #33
gadget
Major
 
gadget's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 e92///M SSII DCT
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: US

Posts: 1,162
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
On the other hand we don't have to know how to 'emergency-release' the parking lock with a screw driver.


Best regards, south

How often will this really happen, once in a blue moon... never... i can deal with that. The 6MT issue seems to be a far more common occurrence
gadget is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-03-2008, 04:10 PM   #34
m3larson
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 Cayenne S 1997 M3 Track C
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Tucson, AZ

Posts: 301
iTrader: (0)

I feel my clutch being spongy. Is that a word? I grabbed second gear yesterday when i was getting on her and heard a grind. that was weird...
m3larson is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-03-2008, 04:22 PM   #35
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
 
KonigsTiger's Avatar
 
Drives: E92M3 RS46 Club Sport, others
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dweller

Posts: 4,398
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3larson View Post
I feel my clutch being spongy. Is that a word? I grabbed second gear yesterday when i was getting on her and heard a grind. that was weird...
Have you been using the clutch too much? Should feel light!!! A grind is not a big deal, it happens when you let the clutch out too soon, but clearly not good to do it all the time.
__________________
==================================================
KonigsTiger is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-03-2008, 04:26 PM   #36
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
 
Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe, 2012 ML350
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lake Oswego, OR

Posts: 7,327
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
6MT

One thing I do notice compared to the E46 M3 6-speed is there is a much stronger detent to the 5-6 slot, which is good; makes it harder top confuse 3-4 with 5-6 by feel.
__________________

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2015 M4 Coupe - Silverstone/Sakhir/CF
2012 ML350
GregW / Oregon is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-03-2008, 04:35 PM   #37
BobbieBrighto
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: 03 BMW M5
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: California

Posts: 48
iTrader: (0)

The notchiness and impreciseness seems to be a common trait of european design.

Honda shifters are smooth like butter.
BobbieBrighto is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-03-2008, 08:01 PM   #38
Pancho
Commander
 
Drives: BMW 530i
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Mexico

Posts: 222
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
One thing I do notice compared to the E46 M3 6-speed is there is a much stronger detent to the 5-6 slot, which is good; makes it harder top confuse 3-4 with 5-6 by feel.
GregW, I would like to hear your opinion on the E92 6MT. Do you feel it similar to the E46? Do you feel it notchy? The notchiness affects the transmission long term? Thanks for your views.
Pancho is offline   Mexico
0
Reply With Quote
      04-03-2008, 09:45 PM   #39
!Xoible
Banned
 
Drives: ....
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: .

Posts: 46,037
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 M3  [3.50]
2007 335i  [4.50]
2008 528i  [4.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [4.00]
i just test drove the car at Crevier bmw. OMG the clutch is beyond horrible!!!! i thought it would be at least better than my old G35. i was thinking notchy as in Z4M. that thing is horrible. it's so light too, feels like super delicate. WTF is that all about??
worst clutch i've driven so far.

and you can definitely feel the annoying pull back of CDV. E46 clutch is much more forgiving than E92 for sure. i can drive e46 with no problems or jerkiness at all, but this?!!!

everything else in the car is
!Xoible is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-03-2008, 09:48 PM   #40
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
 
Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe, 2012 ML350
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lake Oswego, OR

Posts: 7,327
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mantis View Post
i just test drove the car at Crevier bmw. OMG the clutch is beyond horrible!!!! i thought it would be at least better than my old G35. i was thinking notchy as in Z4M. that thing is horrible. it's so light too, feels like super delicate. WTF is that all about??
worst clutch i've driven so far.

and you can definitely feel the annoying pull back of CDV. E46 clutch is much more forgiving than E92 for sure. i can drive e46 with no problems or jerkiness at all, but this?!!!

everything else in the car is
Totally disagree. I'm still getting use to the engagement action, but I LIKE the lightness compared to the E46. No way this is a delicate clutch. Making it easy to use is not a sin.
__________________

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2015 M4 Coupe - Silverstone/Sakhir/CF
2012 ML350
GregW / Oregon is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-03-2008, 09:51 PM   #41
!Xoible
Banned
 
Drives: ....
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: .

Posts: 46,037
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 M3  [3.50]
2007 335i  [4.50]
2008 528i  [4.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [4.00]
idk man, i didnt like it at all. i dont remember jerking in E46's at all, dang, i dont remember jerking in G35 that much and that was one of the most horrible clutches i've had.

i meant "less forgiving" or "high maintenance" more than delicate. like you either get it perfect or it jerks, not in between like 335's, or Z4M's clutches

maybe you either got used to it, or it improved after break-in?

btw, the car had 8.2 mpg WTF!!!
!Xoible is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-03-2008, 09:53 PM   #42
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
 
Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe, 2012 ML350
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lake Oswego, OR

Posts: 7,327
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
'08 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancho View Post
GregW, I would like to hear your opinion on the E92 6MT. Do you feel it similar to the E46? Do you feel it notchy? The notchiness affects the transmission long term? Thanks for your views.
Well, My E46 had 58k on it when i sold it, so it's hard to compare new to new. The synchors were definitely exhibiting some wear. For many years I had the bad habit of downshifting through the gears when coming to a stop. That adds synchor wear without any real benefit, and I don't do that any more.

As far as I can tell, the new tranny/clutch setup is like 50% better than the E46. Not smooth as cutting through butter with a hot knife under all circumstances, but definitely better and just fine.
__________________

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2015 M4 Coupe - Silverstone/Sakhir/CF
2012 ML350
GregW / Oregon is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-03-2008, 09:55 PM   #43
!Xoible
Banned
 
Drives: ....
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: .

Posts: 46,037
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 M3  [3.50]
2007 335i  [4.50]
2008 528i  [4.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [4.00]
have you driven a 6mt 335 Greg? how do you compare it to that, after clutch is broken in?
!Xoible is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-03-2008, 09:57 PM   #44
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
 
Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe, 2012 ML350
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lake Oswego, OR

Posts: 7,327
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mantis View Post
idk man, i didnt like it at all. i dont remember jerking in E46's at all, dang, i dont remember jerking in G35 that much and that was one of the most horrible clutches i've had.

i meant "less forgiving" or "high maintenance" more than delicate. like you either get it perfect or it jerks, not in between like 335's, or Z4M's clutches

maybe you either got used to it, or it improved after break-in?
Clutches take a lot of learning to get right. You can't expect your reactions and inputs to be spot on a quick test drive. Smooth action comes with a few k miles of getting used to it.

Quote:
btw, the car had 8.2 mpg WTF!!!
Well, then you know how it was being driven. One good reason not to buy a demo. Any V8, when driven to its potential, will have similar mileage. I'm only getting 13.5 taking it fairly easy, though. Economy is not the strong suit of this powerplant, but HELL, it sure is fun, and I haven't even gone over 6k Rs.
__________________

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2015 M4 Coupe - Silverstone/Sakhir/CF
2012 ML350

Last edited by GregW / Oregon; 04-04-2008 at 10:21 AM.
GregW / Oregon is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:41 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST