BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos
 
Evolve Automotive
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-29-2008, 02:25 AM   #45
ChaneRZ
If You Aint First, You're last !!!
ChaneRZ's Avatar
United_States
39
Rep
2,509
Posts

 
Drives: 08 BMW 335i, 01 Honda Prelude
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

actually click every car and they compare that car to a different car maker. LOL so funny!
__________________

08 BMW BSM 335i 6MT (Sports, Premium, NAV, PDC, AS, IPOD, HD Radio, Rear Sunshade, OEM Alarm) Angel iBright V3, Luminics Fog Bulb, Turbo Tuner, K&N Drop in Filter, Dinan Exhaust, Dinan Pedals, Vorsteiner CF Front Lip, and CF Rear Diffuser. Ordered:08/25/07 Started: 09/09/07 Finished: 09/14/07 On Ship: 09/15/07 Arrived: 10/08/07 Delivered: 10/10/07
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 03:09 AM   #46
Chowbow
pew pew
80
Rep
6,737
Posts

 
Drives: 三三五i
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: CA

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
That car will be in the 11's in 2 months, if that. It's fast and people just hate it because it's American and the build quality isn't the best, and it's faster than their car.

Who cares about build quality when you can buy a car in the low 30s, put $4k into it to make it run like hell, and basically dump it for $20k in 3 years.

POS gas guzzling LSx motor cars like the C6 vette, get 40+MPG on the highway with a tune on the manual BTW.
__________________
CSL replicas are now CSL counterfeits. Jesus saves, like Valentine1.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 08:39 AM   #47
ENINTY
Banned
51
Rep
3,415
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 325i Sport
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Virginia

iTrader: (0)

It is so amusing to hear people talk about build quality and BMW vs. American company cars. So let's see, the 335comes out; there are a thousands of threads on blown fuel pumps, over heated engine oil (no oil coolers on non-sport models), broken seat belt butlers, peeling interior plastic, easily dented aluminum trim, self shattering sun roofs, run-flat tires, poor optics of window glass, squeaky seats, self locking doors, self-opening windows...

GM builds a good solid car now. Some of you should owned BMW's in the '70s and '80s, they were just as bad on "build quality" as GM's back then too. They drove a lot better though.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 08:48 AM   #48
SG333E
Private First Class
SG333E's Avatar
1
Rep
104
Posts

 
Drives: 08 AW 335 Sedan 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: CHI

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENINTY View Post
It is so amusing to hear people talk about build quality and BMW vs. American company cars. So let's see, the 335comes out; there are a thousands of threads on blown fuel pumps, over heated engine oil (no oil coolers on non-sport models), broken seat belt butlers, peeling interior plastic, easily dented aluminum trim, self shattering sun roofs, run-flat tires, poor optics of window glass, squeaky seats, self locking doors, self-opening windows...

GM builds a good solid car now. Some of you should owned BMW's in the '70s and '80s, they were just as bad on "build quality" as GM's back then too. They drove a lot better though.
Very well said. And for those who say "it's not about how fast it is" who are you kidding? The classic american comparison of how your car performs is the drag race, either stoplight to stoplight or the timed 1/4 mile. While we may have not purchased these cars strictly for that reason, no one here is shy about posting "killed an EVO today" etc. It would be nice if we could all run our cars at Road America and post the times for comparison, but that is not feasible.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 08:53 AM   #49
grumpybear
not afraid to call it like I see it
10
Rep
316
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 325i
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: right outside the gates of hell

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaneRZ View Post
actually click every car and they compare that car to a different car maker. LOL so funny!
uh, every car maker does that.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 08:57 AM   #50
grumpybear
not afraid to call it like I see it
10
Rep
316
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 325i
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: right outside the gates of hell

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENINTY View Post
It is so amusing to hear people talk about build quality and BMW vs. American company cars. So let's see, the 335comes out; there are a thousands of threads on blown fuel pumps, over heated engine oil (no oil coolers on non-sport models), broken seat belt butlers, peeling interior plastic, easily dented aluminum trim, self shattering sun roofs, run-flat tires, poor optics of window glass, squeaky seats, self locking doors, self-opening windows...

GM builds a good solid car now. Some of you should owned BMW's in the '70s and '80s, they were just as bad on "build quality" as GM's back then too. They drove a lot better though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SG333E View Post
Very well said. And for those who say "it's not about how fast it is" who are you kidding? The classic american comparison of how your car performs is the drag race, either stoplight to stoplight or the timed 1/4 mile. While we may have not purchased these cars strictly for that reason, no one here is shy about posting "killed an EVO today" etc. It would be nice if we could all run our cars at Road America and post the times for comparison, but that is not feasible.
...exactly and that's what constantly cracks me up about the majority of the people on this forum. After reading the responses across all of the forums for a while now, it easy to tell how inmature and uneducated most posters are. If they flip-flopped and embellished anymore on things we'd have to start changing their names to Hillary Clinton...

Let's face it, the build quality on BMW's now isn't exactly world-class. I have a 3 yrs old Saturn and the interior on it has held up better then the one in my 325. As Eninty pointed out let's not even go into the problems the 335 had and continues to have.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 08:58 AM   #51
jdorsey
New Member
United_States
3
Rep
14
Posts

 
Drives: 335i Sedan Montego Blue ED
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Dublin, Ohio

iTrader: (0)

It will be a nice car. But I'll keep the 335i
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 09:00 AM   #52
ENINTY
Banned
51
Rep
3,415
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 325i Sport
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Virginia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG333E View Post
Very well said. And for those who say "it's not about how fast it is" who are you kidding? The classic american comparison of how your car performs is the drag race, either stoplight to stoplight or the timed 1/4 mile. While we may have not purchased these cars strictly for that reason, no one here is shy about posting "killed an EVO today" etc. It would be nice if we could all run our cars at Road America and post the times for comparison, but that is not feasible.
The reason I buy BMWs is for the handling, steering and they are the only company in the US to offer rear-drive with a manual transmission with an in-line 6 engine across the model range. The G8, for now only comes in with a manual with just the V-8. Let's face it a 3-series is barely bigger than a Honda Civic and is priced $10K - $20K more.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 09:01 AM   #53
David 12
Captain
David 12's Avatar
9
Rep
915
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 M5 BSM
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Omaha

iTrader: (0)

Looks to me to be faster or just as fast as the 400hp GTO.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 09:03 AM   #54
grumpybear
not afraid to call it like I see it
10
Rep
316
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 325i
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: right outside the gates of hell

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David 12 View Post
Looks to me to be faster or just as fast as the 400hp GTO.
it would probably be a drivers race between the 2.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 09:05 AM   #55
John 070
Lieutenant General
157
Rep
11,517
Posts

 
Drives: 335i cpe
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: ZSP/ZPP/ZCW

iTrader: (0)

There are so many good cars out there, so many. I was amped-up to see what the new Maxima was all about. Nissan is a car you can get way discounted OEM parts for, work on it yourself, and I can tell you from experience, 10 years and 200k on the road, never failed to start even once, and maintenance less tires and oil less than $2k. But wouldn't you know, they introduce the car at the auto show and it's a major disappointment. Going back to the 4DSC roots with a CVT, um, ok.

Point is, many cars are more practical, look better on paper, cheaper to operate, yada yada yada than a BMW. But nobody dreams about a just any car when they are in the 6th grade, and then tell the story about how they get one say 10 years after grad school and waiting 7-8 weeks for it to be built and come over on a ship.

The intangible is what I feel the Asian car mfgs miss altogether. The build it, buyers will come and if they don't we'll offer rebates mentality. It's great to be in Munich--you can send cars out with bad fuel pumps for 2 model years and guess what? The people with the cars still love their cars to death, and get a special feeling when the car is working and driving down the road. I personally doubt the G8 provides much if any driving satisfaction, but tha'ts just me.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 09:10 AM   #56
John 070
Lieutenant General
157
Rep
11,517
Posts

 
Drives: 335i cpe
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: ZSP/ZPP/ZCW

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENINTY View Post
The reason I buy BMWs is for the handling, steering and they are the only company in the US to offer rear-drive with a manual transmission with an in-line 6 engine across the model range. The G8, for now only comes in with a manual with just the V-8. Let's face it a 3-series is barely bigger than a Honda Civic and is priced $10K - $20K more.
BMW's are like supermodels. Are the latter really that great? But they have some quality that the rest of the pack can't get at any price. Ditto with BMW, they go to the nth degree to get the weight and handling. Who else wants to build an I-6 nowadays? It can't fit in the majority of vehicles. Even MB went the V6 route. Again, the V6 is good enough, but if you want secondary balance, one has to do I6 or V8. Physics can't be overcome with fancy marketing. The Civic is a good example--the 3 is no more practical than a Civic, which in its life, would cost probably 40k less total cost of ownershp-wise over 10 years. So why pay 40k extra for a 335? We all know the answer.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 09:12 AM   #57
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
thekurgan's Avatar
United_States
37
Rep
2,905
Posts

 
Drives: E90M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
If I was looking for a fast, cheap car, with a big V-8, and could fit 4 people, this could be it, I used to like the 300M hemi, but that car has gone the way of the gansta so it's out. The camero/firebird tends to glom onto the mullet head crowd, so it's out too.

It's good to see the pushrod engine live on as a piece of American history. This car will definitely sell.
__________________

08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Carbon/BPMSport 91 octane tune/BPMSport Feature coding/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust/Alcantara Wheel/Rear Fog Switch/Rattle fixes
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 09:13 AM   #58
grumpybear
not afraid to call it like I see it
10
Rep
316
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 325i
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: right outside the gates of hell

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
So why pay 40k extra for a 335? We all know the answer.
for alot of people, it's to boost their ego. They couldn't find a good "driving experience" if it bit them on the ass. Most of the rest just wants to be able to brag about how fast the car goes in a straight line and rarely ever go hard into a corner.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 09:18 AM   #59
BMdblU
Brigadier General
Canada
46
Rep
3,850
Posts

 
Drives: with no destination
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 416

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENINTY View Post
It is so amusing to hear people talk about build quality and BMW vs. American company cars. So let's see, the 335comes out; there are a thousands of threads on blown fuel pumps, over heated engine oil (no oil coolers on non-sport models), broken seat belt butlers, peeling interior plastic, easily dented aluminum trim, self shattering sun roofs, run-flat tires, poor optics of window glass, squeaky seats, self locking doors, self-opening windows...

GM builds a good solid car now. Some of you should owned BMW's in the '70s and '80s, they were just as bad on "build quality" as GM's back then too. They drove a lot better though.
Sure. But this kinda stuff happens with every car. My last car, an Audi A4, was a car from hell and pretty much fell apart on me. After half a year with my e92 335i, not one issue.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 09:21 AM   #60
grumpybear
not afraid to call it like I see it
10
Rep
316
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 325i
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: right outside the gates of hell

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMdblU View Post
Sure. But this kinda stuff happens with every car. My last car, an Audi A4, was a car from hell and pretty much fell apart on me. After half a year with my e92 335i, not one issue.
that's great to hear but you're one of the lucky ones. If you haven't already, go knock on wood, quickly....
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 09:24 AM   #61
Majikthese42
Philosopher-king
Majikthese42's Avatar
11
Rep
1,113
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E91
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: People's Republic of New Jersey

iTrader: (0)

__________________
E91 6MT Alpine, Terra, Xenons, ZSP, ZCW, ZPP, PDC, CA, alarm, M shifter and M brake handle, Euro rear fog light switch, Euro aspheric mirrors, rear power outlets, Garmin nüvi custom cupholder mount, Lidatek, V-1 built-in remote display, tire pump, jack, floor mats.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 09:30 AM   #62
grumpybear
not afraid to call it like I see it
10
Rep
316
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 325i
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: right outside the gates of hell

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majikthese42 View Post
I guess the moral of the story is compared to the Asian makers, US and European car makers both suck. Within the 1st 5-6 years they both seem to have about the same amount of issues. BMW is slightly worse then Ford when it comes to 10 year marks, so much for that "superior german build quality" line. I guess we should now refer to the "superior asian build quality" chart and start buying Toyotas.

and don't buy a VW, or a Hyundia, period.

BTW, this will probably be the point then the thread stops because most of the people on e90post can't stand reality and quickly run away when faced with it....

Last edited by grumpybear; 03-29-2008 at 09:48 AM.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 09:59 AM   #63
ENINTY
Banned
51
Rep
3,415
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 325i Sport
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Virginia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
BMW's are like supermodels. Are the latter really that great? But they have some quality that the rest of the pack can't get at any price. Ditto with BMW, they go to the nth degree to get the weight and handling. Who else wants to build an I-6 nowadays? It can't fit in the majority of vehicles. Even MB went the V6 route. Again, the V6 is good enough, but if you want secondary balance, one has to do I6 or V8. Physics can't be overcome with fancy marketing. The Civic is a good example--the 3 is no more practical than a Civic, which in its life, would cost probably 40k less total cost of ownershp-wise over 10 years. So why pay 40k extra for a 335? We all know the answer.

It comes down to you have to like what you drive (not speaking about super models). I love my E90. It replaced my E30 after 17 years. The problem with V-6's are most manufacturers use a 90 deg. (GM , Ford, MB) block so they can use their V-8 tooling. A 60 deg. V-6 block is also naturally balanced. Most Asian manufacturers use 60 deg V-6's becuase most don't use V-8's (except for their US market trucks). I wish Honda would come out with a rear drive 3-Series competitor...

If gas prices go totally wacky, I'd be inclined to get a Civic hybrid (even though it is an automatic).
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 10:21 AM   #64
quagmire
I am Gundam
quagmire's Avatar
31
Rep
1,161
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 Cadillac ATS 3.6 AWD
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENINTY View Post
It comes down to you have to like what you drive (not speaking about super models). I love my E90. It replaced my E30 after 17 years. The problem with V-6's are most manufacturers use a 90 deg. (GM , Ford, MB) block so they can use their V-8 tooling. A 60 deg. V-6 block is also naturally balanced. Most Asian manufacturers use 60 deg V-6's becuase most don't use V-8's (except for their US market trucks). I wish Honda would come out with a rear drive 3-Series competitor...

If gas prices go totally wacky, I'd be inclined to get a Civic hybrid (even though it is an automatic).
Actually, GM at least has gone to the 60 deg V6 design. The 2.8(DOHC), 3.5(OHV), 3.6(DOHC), and 3.9(OHV) V6's are 60 degree V6 designs. The only remaining 90 degree V6 at GM is the 3.8 and that is dying within the next 2 years. The OHV V6's are also dying and the 3.6 design will be GM's new workhorse V6.

Quote:
It will be a nice car. But I'll keep the 335i
That is all anyone can ask for. Give the credit where the credit is due. You may never buy the car due to your taste, but don't outright bash it because it's "American" or is a "POS" based on 10-20 year old data and never sat in Ford's and GM's latest offerings. Being closed minded will never get you anywhere.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 10:33 AM   #65
grumpybear
not afraid to call it like I see it
10
Rep
316
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 325i
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: right outside the gates of hell

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
That is all anyone can ask for. Give the credit where the credit is due. You may never buy the car due to your taste, but don't outright bash it because it's "American" or is a "POS" based on 10-20 year old data and never sat in Ford's and GM's latest offerings. Being closed minded will never get you anywhere.
well said. Yes, it's this is a BMW forum and you have to expect some level of "fanboi-ism", but there are way too many people on this board who are too quick to play the "American POS" or "HP per liter" or "German quality" or whatever other closed minded statements there are and don't even bother to learn more about the other cars on the market today. There are a number of great cars out there and like many other things in life, you do yourself a disservice by not learning more about them.

The funny thing is that most of the people on this forum appear to be very young which means a)this is probably their 1st BMW so they have little to no experience with BMW as a past entity but talk as if they know BMW's better then anyone and b)since they have little life experience they speak solely from other have told them and end up with alot of misconceptions based on things that haven't been true since a period of time when based on their age, they were still sitting on the floor and shitting on themselves.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 10:34 AM   #66
Majikthese42
Philosopher-king
Majikthese42's Avatar
11
Rep
1,113
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E91
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: People's Republic of New Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpybear View Post
I guess the moral of the story is compared to the Asian makers, US and European car makers both suck. Within the 1st 5-6 years they both seem to have about the same amount of issues. BMW is slightly worse then Ford when it comes to 10 year marks, so much for that "superior german build quality" line. I guess we should now refer to the "superior asian build quality" chart and start buying Toyotas.

and don't buy a VW, or a Hyundia, period.

BTW, this will probably be the point then the thread stops because most of the people on e90post can't stand reality and quickly run away when faced with it....
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wall Street Journal (on auto reliability)

"The BMW 7 Series, for example, has more than 120 electric motors, including 38 just for the front seats."
The BMW 3-series really isn't bad, for a Eurocar!

My daughter's Accord has, I think, one (1) motor in the front driver's seat. If you have 38, it's a good bet that at least one won't be working at any given time.

I like Eurocars because they're fun to drive, but I've never believed they were reliable or cheap to run. I can't say I'd look forward to driving a 10-year old Ford, but there are plenty of 10-year old BMWs that are still fun to drive.

Like everyone else here, of course I'm nuts.
__________________
E91 6MT Alpine, Terra, Xenons, ZSP, ZCW, ZPP, PDC, CA, alarm, M shifter and M brake handle, Euro rear fog light switch, Euro aspheric mirrors, rear power outlets, Garmin nüvi custom cupholder mount, Lidatek, V-1 built-in remote display, tire pump, jack, floor mats.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:21 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST