BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

INDustry distribution

03-21-2015, 07:56 PM   #1
Killerfish2012
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335I, E92 M3

My Power Steering Pump Fiasco

My '09 E92 M3 is at 109K miles, and about two months ago, I noticed that the steering wheel was about 50% harder to turn. I attributed this to a possible side effect of my installing rouge engineering pulleys, and thought nothing of it. Then a few weeks ago I started hearing a noise when I made a sharp left turn going over 30mph. I previosly had in mind replacing my front wheel bearings, but put it off, so I went ahead and replaced both, but the noise was still there. Then a second type of noise started happening on start up, emanating from the middle of the engine bay. This noise sounded more like bearings of a pump, on their last leg.

I looked up the power steering pump (PN:32412283041), and found the part to be at least $650 shipped. So I bought a used pump, and had it installed. This pump was unfortunately done, and there was absolutely no power steering. Driving this car without PS even for the 3 miles to my local Midas was a biblical experience! The steering wheel is incredibly difficult to turn without PS, and I bench 255lbs (Not bragging), so if I had difficulty, imagine an elderly person or a lady having this issue. So with my car grounded for a week, I ordered a new pump, had it installed today, and voila, the steering wheel is back to being easy to turn, with no noise.

I cannot stress how important it is to replace this part, once symptoms show up. I can't imagine what could happen if the pump failed completely, and you're not expecting the steering wheel to be like 500% harder to steer while driving on the highway. My car has 109K, and like 4 track days behind it, but it seems that at this mileage, the pumps are at 50% of their original selves, because my 335I is at 129K miles, and the steering wheel is much harder to turn now than before, but with no noise. My advise: when changing the belts, and idler pulley at 100K+ miles, do yourself a favor and just change the PS pump for peace of mind. Also change the following two sets of single use aluminum bolts used to a hold the pump: 07119905527 x3, 07119905394 x3

Last edited by Killerfish2012; 03-21-2015 at 11:28 PM.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 10:22 PM   #2
admranger
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2002 M3, 2005 X5, 2011 M3

Great information. Thanks for sharing.

Make sure you replace the fluid reservoir as it has a built in filter in it.

Not to thread jack, but how has the maintenance been overall on your M3 now that you have >100k miles on it?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 11:01 PM   #3
JRMorgan
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerfish2012 View Post
My '09 E92 M3 is at 109K miles, and about two months ago, I noticed that the steering wheel was about 50% harder to turn. I attributed this to a possible side effect of my installing rouge engineering pulleys, and thought nothing of it. Then a few weeks ago I started hearing a noise when I made a sharp left turn going over 30mph. I previosly had in mind replacing my front wheel bearings, but put it off, so I went ahead and replaced both, but the noise was still there. Then a second type of noise started happening on start up, emanating from the middle of the engine bay. This noise sounded more like bearings of a pump, on their last leg.

I looked up the power steering pump (PN:32412283041), and found the part to be at least $650 shipped. So I bought a used pump, and had it installed. This pump was unfortunately done, and there was absolutely no power steering. Driving this car without PS even for the 3 miles to my local Midas was a biblical experience! The steering wheel is incredibly difficult to turn without PS, and I bench 255lbs (Not bragging), so if I had difficulty, imagine an elderly person or a lady having this issue. So with my car grounded for a week, I ordered a new pump, had it installed today, and voila, the wheel is back to being easy to turn, with no noise.

I cannot stress how important it is to replace this part, once symptoms show up. I can't imagine what could happen if the pump failed completely, and you're not expecting the steering wheel to be like 500% harder to steer while driving on the highway. My car has 109K, and like 4 track days behind it, but it seems that at this mileage, the pumps are at 50% of their original selves, because my 335I is at 129K miles, and the steering wheel is much harder to turn now than before, but with no noise. My advise: when changing the belts, and idler pulley at 100K+ miles, do yourself a favor and just change the PS pump for peace of mind. Also change the following two sets of single use aluminum bolts used to a hold the pump: 07119905527 x3, 07119905394 x3
It happened to my 335i and yes it's very hard to turn. I can't imagine how it is on the M3 with all that extra rubber.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 11:26 PM   #4
Killerfish2012
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by admranger View Post
Not to thread jack, but how has the maintenance been overall on your M3 now that you have >100k miles on it?
The maintenance has been ok, and this is the first item to actually fail, and the way it failed, it made noises that got progressively worse over time, that no driver can ignore. Other than that I've been VERY aggressive with maintenance, having been through a lot with my 335I. I don't wait for things to fail, and I've been chucking parts left and right.
      03-22-2015, 09:00 AM   #5
VictorH
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 M3

Good to know. Had you ever changed your power steering fluid, or did you just make sure it was at the proper level?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2015, 10:17 AM   #6
Killerfish2012
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorH View Post
Good to know. Had you ever changed your power steering fluid, or did you just make sure it was at the proper level?
I did a complete flush last spring, and fall.