BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
GTB Performance
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-27-2008, 01:00 PM   #1
mkoesel
Moderator
 
Drives: IB/PS M-DCT E93 M3
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI

Posts: 13,474
iTrader: (1)

BMW considering cutting the cylinder count on M-models (and using FI) ?

Quote:
Of all the things that have hampered performance over the last two decades, vehicle weight is at the top of the list. Automakers have responded by putting more power under the hood to make up for the extra pounds, and BMW is as guilty as the rest – particularly with its M cars. The first (E30) M3 came packing a 2.3-liter four-pot and was able to put out an astonishing (at the time) 212 197 hp. When the E36 came along a few years later, the cylinder count increased by two and stayed that way through the E46 generation until today, where the new E92 M3 is motivated by a 4.0-liter V8 outputting more than double of the original, but also weighing considerably more.

So what's the next step? BMW CEO Norbert Reithofer is at least aware of this fact and mentioned to Auto Motor und Sport that he'd like to see the next batch of M cars lose a few cylinders, while simultaneously dropping the pounds. He points to the twin-turbocharged inline-six in the 135i, 335i and 535i as a good indication of what the future might hold, particularly in the case of the M-badged variants that would make more use of forced induction rather than upgraded displacement and higher cylinder counts (not that they could get much higher). We can only dream, but with emissions standards increasing across the globe, it's the next logical evolution of the performance breed.
Auto Motor Und Sport via Autoblog

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/03/27/b...t-on-m-models/

Another reference to turbo-charged Ms.
__________________
2008 Interlagos Blue E93 M3 - M-DCT
2011 Salsa Red Jetta TDI Sportwagen - DSG
mkoesel is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-27-2008, 01:13 PM   #2
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
 
KonigsTiger's Avatar
 
Drives: E92M3 RS46 Club Sport, others
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dweller

Posts: 4,398
iTrader: (0)

Well, Porsche (911 tt and GT2), AMG (CLK DTM AMG, SLR & their V12tt SLīs) and Audi seem to be doing very, very well with forced induction. Tuners like Ruff, Brabus, Dinan & Kleemann as well!!! So that I do believe that forced induction, if done well, can be fantastic!!!!! And I have no doubt M can do it right!!!!
__________________
==================================================

Last edited by KonigsTiger; 03-27-2008 at 03:05 PM.
KonigsTiger is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-27-2008, 02:27 PM   #3
mkoesel
Moderator
 
Drives: IB/PS M-DCT E93 M3
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI

Posts: 13,474
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-M-Mexico View Post
Well, Porsche (911 tt and GT3), AMG (CLK DTM AMG, SLR & their V12tt SLīs) and Audi seem to be doing very, very well with forced induction. Tuners like Ruff, Brabus, Dinan & Kleemann as well!!! So that I do believe that forced induction, if done well, can be fantastic!!!!! And I have no doubt M can do it right!!!!
I'm sure M could do great job, just like the other vendors you mention. BMW has already proven as much with the turbocharged N54 I6 and N64 V8.

The question is will we still get a 8000RPM+ motor or will it be something... lower? In other words how well will they be able to preserve the feel of today's M powerplants?
__________________
2008 Interlagos Blue E93 M3 - M-DCT
2011 Salsa Red Jetta TDI Sportwagen - DSG
mkoesel is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-27-2008, 02:33 PM   #4
mkoesel
Moderator
 
Drives: IB/PS M-DCT E93 M3
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI

Posts: 13,474
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
It makes sense... it's a good product roadmap. Gas is outrageously expensive and only going to get worse. All cars are going to get smaller and smaller. By BMW introducing the 1-series is a good sign they'll begin to regress back to smaller, more nimble cars... and the smaller they get the less power they'll need. I would like to see the 3-series shrink to the e36 size... IMO.
Well, the 1 series is E36 size, so the 3 will necessarily have to remain bigger.

But I know what you are saying. I think what you really want is for the 1 series to become the new 3 series (in a manner of speaking), complete with sedans in the lineup and of course an M version. That's likely to happen. And its likely to happen soon - next generation IMHO. I suspect that by the end of next decade - probably much sooner, the 1 series will have stolen the sales volume title away from the 3 series within the BMW lineup.

As for the size meaning less power, unfortunately that's only true if it also means less weight, which so far is not necessarily the case. The 1 series is almost as heavy as the 3 series (and for that matter the 3 is almost as heavy as the 5).
__________________
2008 Interlagos Blue E93 M3 - M-DCT
2011 Salsa Red Jetta TDI Sportwagen - DSG
mkoesel is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-27-2008, 02:50 PM   #5
mofomat
Captain
 
mofomat's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW M3 (E92)
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Maastricht, NL

Posts: 996
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-M-Mexico View Post
Well, Porsche (911 tt and GT3)
The GT3 doesn't have forced induction. I presume you mean the GT2.
__________________
BMW M3 (E92)
Silverstone II, Fox Red Extended, M-DCT.
mofomat is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      03-27-2008, 03:04 PM   #6
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
 
KonigsTiger's Avatar
 
Drives: E92M3 RS46 Club Sport, others
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dweller

Posts: 4,398
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofomat View Post
The GT3 doesn't have forced induction. I presume you mean the GT2.
Sorry, that is correct, it is the GT2!!!!
__________________
==================================================
KonigsTiger is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-27-2008, 03:16 PM   #7
JEllis
Brigadier General
 
JEllis's Avatar
 
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: SD CA/Yuma

Posts: 4,565
iTrader: (4)

Hmmm... the first and last V8 M3.... Sad day as we are probably looking at the 80's again. Cars hampered by heavy safety equipment and underpowered with small fuel efficient engines.... Hopefully exotic material technology and and prices keep up with the demands for smaller lighter cars....

Jason
__________________
http://www.m3post.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic14547_7.gif
JEllis is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-27-2008, 03:16 PM   #8
///austin
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2008 BMW ///M3 Coupe
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Texas

Posts: 106
iTrader: (0)

Interesting. Glad I got my V8!

I had an '05 997 S loaded. I definitely like the M3 better, in terms of the engine.
///austin is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-27-2008, 03:44 PM   #9
Last E92 M3
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: BMW M3
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Virginia

Posts: 1,507
iTrader: (0)

...i am probably the only one against his FI idea...i hope m stays NA. (high rev NA that is...)
Last E92 M3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-27-2008, 03:52 PM   #10
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
 
KonigsTiger's Avatar
 
Drives: E92M3 RS46 Club Sport, others
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dweller

Posts: 4,398
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
I'm sure M could do great job, just like the other vendors you mention. BMW has already proven as much with the turbocharged N54 I6 and N64 V8.

The question is will we still get a 8000RPM+ motor or will it be something... lower? In other words how well will they be able to preserve the feel of today's M powerplants?
Uffff, this is very difficult to respond to!!! HP is generated on naturally aspirated engines either though larger displacement (i.e., 2008 Dodge Viper SRT10īs 600 hp 8.4L V10 with red line of 6,250 RPM) or high revs/engine speed (i.e., 2007 BMW M6 500 hp 5.0L V10 red line of 8,250 RPM/or extreme 2008 F1 with a 750hp 2.4L V8īs red line at 19,000 RPM). BMW mainly has gone the smaller displacement high rev root in order to save weight, a more expensive and technologically challenging but IMO more rewarding rout. Now, you can always go even smaller with either more revs and technology or by adding forced induction. In general however, I find other forced induction cars absolutely wonderful to drive despite their lower RPMīs (i.e., Mercedes AMGīs such as the DTM and the 2008 Porsche GT2 red line at around 7,000 RPM or lower and both cars by the way produce power of 580 and 530 hp respectively and torque of 590 lbs/ft and 505 lbs/ft, absolutely fantastic and very flat), so that I do not at all believe that lower RPM will necessarily mean less fun etc… and in fact, a forced induction engine can be much more flexible and will not lose power when it gains altitude as readily as a NA engine will. So hay, Iīm all for it!!! Just look at the brouhaha associated with the tt GT-R!!! Hahaha!!!
__________________
==================================================
KonigsTiger is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-27-2008, 03:53 PM   #11
!Xoible
Banned
 
Drives: ....
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: .

Posts: 46,037
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 M3  [3.50]
2007 335i  [4.50]
2008 528i  [4.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [4.00]
i hope they cut down on count of cyl's. FI FTW
!Xoible is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-27-2008, 03:57 PM   #12
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
 
KonigsTiger's Avatar
 
Drives: E92M3 RS46 Club Sport, others
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dweller

Posts: 4,398
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantis View Post
i hope they cut down on count of cyl's. FI FTW
Why?
__________________
==================================================
KonigsTiger is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-27-2008, 04:06 PM   #13
E394KEN
M3//4KEN
 
Drives: E46 M3 & E90 335i (Woosh!)
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Ventura, CA

Posts: 409
iTrader: (0)

Been discussed before, not officially of course. FI is only a matter of time. Yes, as for the V8 in the M. In the not near to distant future the government here in the US will regulate for MPG. Say bye-bye to many of these big HP behemoths. Car manufaturers will have to get very creative and use every bit of tech to make future cars interesting. Sooooo get your M3's now while its feasible.
E394KEN is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-27-2008, 04:08 PM   #14
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
 
KonigsTiger's Avatar
 
Drives: E92M3 RS46 Club Sport, others
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dweller

Posts: 4,398
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E394KEN View Post
Been discussed before, not officially of course. FI is only a matter of time. Yes, as for the V8 in the M. In the not near to distant future the government here in the US will regulate for MPG. Say bye-bye to many of these big HP behemoths. Car manufaturers will have to get very creative and use every bit of tech to make future cars interesting. Sooooo get your M3's now while its feasible.
F1 will keep the 2.4L V8 until the end of the 2010 season at least!!
__________________
==================================================
KonigsTiger is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-27-2008, 04:13 PM   #15
!Xoible
Banned
 
Drives: ....
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: .

Posts: 46,037
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 M3  [3.50]
2007 335i  [4.50]
2008 528i  [4.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-M-Mexico View Post
Why?
coz what's going on right now is ridiculous. huge engines, a lot of cyl's, a hyundai has over 300 hp! that's like ferrari 10 years ago man.

IMHO all car manufacturers should put more effort in finding alternative energy, weight reduction solutions for cheap, improve efficiency.
!Xoible is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-27-2008, 04:14 PM   #16
mapezzul
Special Agent
 
mapezzul's Avatar
 
Drives: Depends on the day!
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bavaria

Posts: 1,736
iTrader: (1)

what people are assuming is that he was referring to the V8 getting cut down. He is more likely talking about the V10 getting cut down and using forced induction. If my memory serves me right, a new V8 N64 is a twin turbo getting 400hp the same performance as the V10 without pushing the //M button. So software and //M components could essentially do the same when added to the to it. Too much research went into the V8 in the //M3 to kill it, more likely they will use that engine and a twin turbo setup like in the N64 to get even more ponies. The V8 in the M3 weighs less than the previous 6 so that is not the issue with weight, the cars weigh more because of more rigidity and density in materials for performance and occupant safety versus older cars as well as additional safety equipment. People forget that the some of the high strength materials in the safety cage weigh more than in the past, the remainder of the car tends to be lighter. They even shave weight now by making button and levers hollow where in the past they were solid.
I can see the M5/M6 getting and engine update since they have been around since late 04 early 05 and were designed around the SMG, which has been on its way out for years.
mapezzul is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-27-2008, 04:21 PM   #17
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
 
KonigsTiger's Avatar
 
Drives: E92M3 RS46 Club Sport, others
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dweller

Posts: 4,398
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantis View Post
coz what's going on right now is ridiculous. huge engines, a lot of cyl's, a hyundai has over 300 hp! that's like ferrari 10 years ago man.

IMHO all car manufacturers should put more effort in finding alternative energy, weight reduction solutions for cheap, improve efficiency.
Oh yes, I do see your point and share your opinion!! But F1 does have a very, very small 2.4 L engine!! But again, I agree that the hp race has to stop and we ought to go the weight and efficiency rout!!! Ethanol has higher octaine (of about 104) so even our E92 M3 V-8's could be tunned to rev up even higher and yield more power and being greener!!!
__________________
==================================================
KonigsTiger is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-27-2008, 04:22 PM   #18
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
 
KonigsTiger's Avatar
 
Drives: E92M3 RS46 Club Sport, others
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dweller

Posts: 4,398
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapezzul View Post
what people are assuming is that he was referring to the V8 getting cut down. He is more likely talking about the V10 getting cut down and using forced induction. If my memory serves me right, a new V8 N64 is a twin turbo getting 400hp the same performance as the V10 without pushing the //M button. So software and //M components could essentially do the same when added to the to it. Too much research went into the V8 in the //M3 to kill it, more likely they will use that engine and a twin turbo setup like in the N64 to get even more ponies. The V8 in the M3 weighs less than the previous 6 so that is not the issue with weight, the cars weigh more because of more rigidity and density in materials for performance and occupant safety versus older cars as well as additional safety equipment. People forget that the some of the high strength materials in the safety cage weigh more than in the past, the remainder of the car tends to be lighter. They even shave weight now by making button and levers hollow where in the past they were solid.
I can see the M5/M6 getting and engine update since they have been around since late 04 early 05 and were designed around the SMG, which has been on its way out for years.
Very good points!!!
__________________
==================================================
KonigsTiger is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-27-2008, 05:31 PM   #19
dillon733
Major
 
dillon733's Avatar
 
Drives: Jet Black e92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: new york

Posts: 1,126
iTrader: (2)

keep the cylenders but still add the turbos
dillon733 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-27-2008, 05:39 PM   #20
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
 
KonigsTiger's Avatar
 
Drives: E92M3 RS46 Club Sport, others
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dweller

Posts: 4,398
iTrader: (0)

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillon733 View Post
keep the cylenders but still add the turbos
Now that would probably lead well into the 600hp arena!!!! Would be amazing!!!!!!
__________________
==================================================
KonigsTiger is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-27-2008, 06:32 PM   #21
Imola.ZHP
No car payments...
 
Imola.ZHP's Avatar
 
Drives: 2003 BMW 330i ZHP
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Mud Island, TN

Posts: 1,955
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to Imola.ZHP Send a message via MSN to Imola.ZHP Send a message via Yahoo to Imola.ZHP
It would also be nice if they would put real LSD's in non-M cars...
__________________

Marcus
-- 330i ZHP
-- Build Date 03/03/03
Imola.ZHP is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-27-2008, 06:36 PM   #22
!Xoible
Banned
 
Drives: ....
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: .

Posts: 46,037
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 M3  [3.50]
2007 335i  [4.50]
2008 528i  [4.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-M-Mexico View Post
Oh yes, I do see your point and share your opinion!! But F1 does have a very, very small 2.4 L engine!! But again, I agree that the hp race has to stop and we ought to go the weight and efficiency rout!!! Ethanol has higher octaine (of about 104) so even our E92 M3 V-8's could be tunned to rev up even higher and yield more power and being greener!!!

if 335's run ethanol i'd jump in one right away 104 octane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imola.ZHP View Post
It would also be nice if they would put real LSD's in non-M cars...
then why buy m cars - says Marketing
!Xoible is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:31 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST