BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 Photos/Video/Media Gallery

Lux Angel Eyes

03-19-2008, 03:44 PM   #23
sayemthree
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldminer View Post
That's 4 lbs of unsprung weight, not just 4 lbs. That much unsprung weight is huge and no small thing in the handling department. By the way that is per wheel I believe so it is actually 16 lbs of unsprung weight. Racing engineers go to huge lengths to get much less than that.

So let me see better handling, smoother riding, and $1,200 bucks cheaper. Sounds like a no-brainer to me.

As for being better looking, well I am not some testosterone poisoned, rap star wann-a-be, teenager trying to make his car look like some slammed Rice Rocket or ghetto cruiser. There are many of us adults out there that think the 18"s look much better. F1 cars don't come with 20" rims and 25 series tires.

Don't confuse your taste in cars with the absolute truth.
+2

however I am not sure I like the dark 18's with jet black - I need to see them in person. for track tires, 18's for sure.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2008, 10:07 PM   #24
iatacs19
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 335is

I like these wheels much better, but why doesn't this design come in 19in and forged?

The optional 19in they have now are rather plain and too flat.

BMWCCA Referral
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2008, 12:04 PM   #25
SlammedR8
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2010 Audi R8 V10 +2013 Audi S4

Send a message via MSN to SlammedR8
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldminer View Post
That's 4 lbs of unsprung weight, not just 4 lbs. That much unsprung weight is huge and no small thing in the handling department. By the way that is per wheel I believe so it is actually 16 lbs of unsprung weight. Racing engineers go to huge lengths to get much less than that.

So let me see better handling, smoother riding, and $1,200 bucks cheaper. Sounds like a no-brainer to me.

As for being better looking, well I am not some testosterone poisoned, rap star wann-a-be, teenager trying to make his car look like some slammed Rice Rocket or ghetto cruiser. There are many of us adults out there that think the 18"s look much better. F1 cars don't come with 20" rims and 25 series tires.

Don't confuse your taste in cars with the absolute truth.

racing engineers...yes...are you a racing engineer? or better yet a race car driver? are the roads your personal track?
because im pretty sure your buying an m3 to drive to work and to drive to the same places the guy next door takes his 5 series or his Hyundai... and you already bought an m3, which handles great to begin with. so if that 4 lbs of UNSPRUNG WEIGHT is gonna make a difference to you, or that 1 inch of smaller wheels....so now you can take the turn @ 44mph instead of 38mph - well then i hope you feel better!

as for F1 cars....once again we are not talking about F1 cars -thats a whole different league of vehicles!

all im trying to say is, you bought an m3 because your a wheel-man, you enjoy driving. but the fact is, the car is amazing whether you have 18s or 20s on it. (both in looks and in the handling department)
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2008, 02:20 PM   #26
sayemthree
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammed335 View Post
racing engineers...yes...are you a racing engineer? or better yet a race car driver? are the roads your personal track?
because im pretty sure your buying an m3 to drive to work and to drive to the same places the guy next door takes his 5 series or his Hyundai... and you already bought an m3, which handles great to begin with. so if that 4 lbs of UNSPRUNG WEIGHT is gonna make a difference to you, or that 1 inch of smaller wheels....so now you can take the turn @ 44mph instead of 38mph - well then i hope you feel better!

as for F1 cars....once again we are not talking about F1 cars -thats a whole different league of vehicles!

all im trying to say is, you bought an m3 because your a wheel-man, you enjoy driving. but the fact is, the car is amazing whether you have 18s or 20s on it. (both in looks and in the handling department)
actually I will be tracking my car regularly, Laguna Seca, Sears Point, Willow SPrings, Cal SPeedway, ButtonWillow, etc. Lighter wheels makes a huge difference in both handling and acceleration. losing 16 lbs of rotating unsprung weight is like removing 160 lbs from the car.

with that said the latest info is showing the 19's are not as heavy as first thought.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2008, 02:51 PM   #27
sayemthree
Brigadier General
Rep

at Assael

Appreciate 0
      03-22-2008, 02:52 PM   #28
JEllis
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3

^ Thats fantastic looking. I am really happy with my choice of AW and 18's
      03-22-2008, 02:55 PM   #29
JEllis
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3

Quote:

Unsprung weight is huge in the feel of the car during everything from racing to taking the car out for a Sunday drive. Anyone that denies the benefits of lowering unsprung weight is a fool.

I went from stock Contours on my E36 to OEM LTW's weighing about 2-3 pounds less per wheel. The difference was significant and very noticeable even on my many drives to work.

Jason
      03-22-2008, 03:36 PM   #30
asaulo1
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe, alp white

just curious, how much was the stealership at assael charging over sticker? I remember when I was looking to get my mini, they were charging like $5k over sticker.. and that was just a $25k car....
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2008, 08:32 PM   #31
SHADY1
Hamann M3 Fan
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2008 E92 Jerez Black M3

Garage List
Talking +5 for the slammed335

Quote:

I think the 18's are okay save yourself $1,200 to buy extra tires for the track, and your M3 will still look good. I think 19's look good I ordered those for my M3 but soon as I pick my car up from the port in Cali. the 19's will come off and I will M3 into a 20inch chrome DUB having ghetto cruiser EDC slammed rice rocket with a Hamann body kit and for those of you that don't like can if a plain Jane M3 is your choice than so be it enjoy it on the track or what ever you want to do with it I'll still give you props and because not everybody can afford this car.

JZB,6MT, My mods 360 Forged 20inch wheels,VF650 Supercharger,SPEC Super Twin Disk Clutch,Hamann CF roof spoiler,H&R springs,CF grills,Hamann rear trunk spoiler,Hamann Side Skirts, ARKYM full CF bumper, Gintani Race exhaust, AA X-pipe catless,RPI scoops,AA SSK, Arkym CF Double Sided Vented Hood,Arkym CF rear Diffuser
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2008, 09:49 PM   #32
sayemthree
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by asaulo1 View Post
just curious, how much was the stealership at assael charging over sticker? I remember when I was looking to get my mini, they were charging like $5k over sticker.. and that was just a $25k car....

the one with 18's was sold. the two in the showroom they said they would like to get a few thou over. McKenna sold thier first one for 5k over. demand doesnt seem to be so high. both McKenna and Assael are both willing to order one at MSRP.
Appreciate 0