BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews
 
Stick to Clutch
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-16-2008, 03:30 PM   #1
sainthoo
New Member
 
Drives: 335, XC90, Ferrari 308
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NC

Posts: 10
iTrader: (0)

"I'm gonna need some consideration"

Thought I would share my amusing (to me) conversation with a sales manager.

I have been on the list for M3 sedan, dealer has one that is not exactly what I want. It is 6MT without tech package, and I want DCT and tech package, otherwise same color, etc. But, it does have the 19" wheels that I do not want. I take the car for a test drive, and I really like the M 6MT more than my 335 6MT. So I start thinking...
I ask the salesman if I can swap out the wheels for standard since I want less spinning weight, don't care about the look, and don't want to pay for 19" rubber in the future. I explain that I know they are on back order, implying I'll buy the car that has been sitting for over a week.
Sales guy says lets go talk to the manager, good idea I think. This is probably a done deal.
Sales manager then proceeds to make a production about what a problem it would be, and how just might be able to get 18" wheels and then put the 19" wheels on some 3 series on the lot (huh?). He then goes on to tell me that he would need "some consideration" to make this happen.

Perhaps I am over reacting, but I was blown away. I viewed it as a win-win for everyone. Someone waiting for 19"s could have their car now and give me the 18"s. Dealer sells car(s). This seems simple to me, but you would have thought I asked the salesmanager to put 22"s on the car and paint flames down the side.

Last edited by sainthoo; 03-16-2008 at 03:52 PM.
sainthoo is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-16-2008, 03:34 PM   #2
BMW3R
Bimmer User
 
BMW3R's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: SLC, UT

Posts: 585
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 Mazda3  [0.00]
Why not just wait another couple of months and get what you want? I agree it seems like a no brainer to swap wheels.
__________________
2011 E92 M3 - Space Gray, ZCP, Akra Evo System, aFe filter, PC Stage II Tune & more!!!!

BMW3R is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-16-2008, 03:35 PM   #3
SS32
Major
 
SS32's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 M3
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Raleigh, NC

Posts: 1,431
iTrader: (0)

What dealer in NC is this?
SS32 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-16-2008, 04:03 PM   #4
Technic
Lieutenant General
 
Technic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, 2014 528i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

Posts: 10,842
iTrader: (16)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sainthoo View Post
Thought I would share my amusing (to me) conversation with a sales manager.

I have been on the list for M3 sedan, dealer has one that is not exactly what I want. It is 6MT without tech package, and I want DCT and tech package, otherwise same color, etc. But, it does have the 19" wheels that I do not want. I take the car for a test drive, and I really like the M 6MT more than my 335 6MT. So I start thinking...
I ask the salesman if I can swap out the wheels for standard since I want less spinning weight, don't care about the look, and don't want to pay for 19" rubber in the future. I explain that I know they are on back order, implying I'll buy the car that has been sitting for over a week.
Sales guy says lets go talk to the manager, good idea I think. This is probably a done deal.
Sales manager then proceeds to make a production about what a problem it would be, and how just might be able to get 18" wheels and then put the 19" wheels on some 3 series on the lot (huh?). He then goes on to tell me that he would need "some consideration" to make this happen.

Perhaps I am over reacting, but I was blown away. I viewed it as a win-win for everyone. Someone waiting for 19"s could have their car now and give me the 18"s. Dealer sells car(s). This seems simple to me, but you would have thought I asked the salesmanager to put 22"s on the car and paint flames down the side.
They are just monkeys with ties... you are asking for too much. Go somewhere else...
Technic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-16-2008, 06:45 PM   #5
hwrdcur
Client Advisor, Valley BMW, Modesto, CA. 95356
 
hwrdcur's Avatar
 
Drives: 1999 Mustang Saleen S281
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Manteca

Posts: 80
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to hwrdcur Send a message via Yahoo to hwrdcur
How would you feel if you went to buy a new car, you read the MSRP, it says 18 inch wheels but the car has these 19's, wouldn't you wonder why this happened? Also, you purchase this car, lease it or whatever, something goes wrong with the wheel, then they research it and find out the dealer is swapping out whells and whatever else. Who gets the blame now? Sounds simple, but its not.
I also think the 19's will most likely rub on a 335i sedan. Just my 2 cents...
hwrdcur is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-16-2008, 07:02 PM   #6
sainthoo
New Member
 
Drives: 335, XC90, Ferrari 308
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NC

Posts: 10
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwrdcur View Post
I also think the 19's will most likely rub on a 335i sedan. Just my 2 cents...
You are making my point, I do not think he had any intention of putting 19" wheels on a 335. I felt like he just wanted to make a big deal about doing me a "favor" to get some "consideration."

I think swapping between M3s would be easy. Perhaps I am wrong, but I was put off to say the least. Considering pulling my deposit to go somewhere else which is too bad, because I liked the sales guy.
sainthoo is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-16-2008, 08:40 PM   #7
lotus_enzo
Animal Chin Search Party
 
lotus_enzo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 Lotus
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NC

Posts: 31
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
What dealer in NC is this?
+1
lotus_enzo is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-17-2008, 10:26 AM   #8
Yonkers
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2006 BMW M5
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Houston, TX

Posts: 218
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwrdcur View Post
How would you feel if you went to buy a new car, you read the MSRP, it says 18 inch wheels but the car has these 19's, wouldn't you wonder why this happened? Also, you purchase this car, lease it or whatever, something goes wrong with the wheel, then they research it and find out the dealer is swapping out whells and whatever else. Who gets the blame now? Sounds simple, but its not.
I also think the 19's will most likely rub on a 335i sedan. Just my 2 cents...
I think the point is there is a backorder on 19" . In this scenario, sainthoo gets his 18", someone else doesn't have to wait for their 19". Win-win? Guess not.
Yonkers is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-17-2008, 12:43 PM   #9
Big Windy
Major General
 
Big Windy's Avatar
 
Drives: audi s4
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: seatac, wa

Posts: 5,118
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
dealer= dumb dumb.
Big Windy is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-17-2008, 01:18 PM   #10
WCH
Major
 
WCH's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 E92 M3 SSII; '14 F10 M5 SG
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Boston

Posts: 1,070
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2014 F10 M5  [0.00]
2014 Cayenne GTS  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sainthoo View Post
I have been on the list for M3 sedan, dealer has one that is not exactly what I want. It is 6MT without tech package, and I want DCT and tech package, otherwise same color, etc. But, it does have the 19" wheels that I do not want. I take the car for a test drive, and I really like the M 6MT more than my 335 6MT. So I start thinking...
Sounds like too many compromises - order the car the way you want.
__________________
WCH is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-17-2008, 03:03 PM   #11
skierman64
Brigadier General
 
skierman64's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 Space Gray M3 & E36M3
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Greater St Louis Metro area

Posts: 3,068
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
1998 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2008 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
Send a message via Yahoo to skierman64
My car comes in, in 2-3 weeks with 18s. I'll trade you 18s for 19s plus the difference in cash. Assuming no curb rash on either set of wheels and minimul mileage (no burnouts etc) over the next few weeks.

We could meet halfway in VA somewhere.

PM if you're interested.
__________________
Get a professional motorsports full featured stopwatch app for your Blackberry here: http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/19464
Invest Wisely...The best mod for your money?? BMWCCA high performance driver's school. The mod that lasts a lifetime and improves the performance of any car you drive
skierman64 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:02 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST