BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

E92-lighting

03-11-2008, 08:56 AM   #23
rai
Captain

Drives: M3 coupe with DCT

many reasons as mentioned, particularly for me the DCT

The gas mileage figure isn't helping it either. I see oil at $107 an who can say it won't be at $200 in the next several years? I don't think it will but I won't bet against it.

I don't mind paying $70 or $80 to fill up but where is it going to stop?

I don't say I can't afford the gas obviously anyon espending $70K on a car can afford gas, but it's something to think about while the stock market is going down 20% in the past several months doesn't help either.
rai is offline   United_States
      03-11-2008, 09:05 AM   #24
M3NNIS
Colonel

Drives: a truck for now

Send a message via AIM to M3NNIS Send a message via MSN to M3NNIS
how about, because most of the cars out there were demo's.
Are you going to buy the first car to the dealer that is being Test Driven?
I know my dealers first 5 allocations are all staying in the dealers family. so give it a bit more time and people will be getting theirs in.
man this thread makes me want my 335 back.
      03-11-2008, 10:37 AM   #25
devo
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: .2GT3/335Cpe/991 GT3 coming
Location: thinking about cars, girls and money, not necessarily in that order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgdog View Post
A lot of the potential M3 buyers have already modded their 335s to near M3 performance with the exception of a ton more torque. And when you consider the M3's gas mileage, well?
One more reason to get M-DCT is to further separate the M from all the modded 335 wannabes.
      03-11-2008, 10:47 AM   #26
southlight
Moderator / European Editor

Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo View Post
One more reason to get M-DCT is to further separate the M from all the modded 335 wannabes.
Just out of curiosity: Are you still 6MT Club member?

Best regards, south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
      03-11-2008, 10:54 AM   #27
devo
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: .2GT3/335Cpe/991 GT3 coming
Location: thinking about cars, girls and money, not necessarily in that order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
Just out of curiosity: Are you still 6MT Club member?

Best regards, south
I will know in a matter of days.
      03-11-2008, 11:24 AM   #28
!Xoible
Banned

Drives: ....

Garage List
2008 M3  [3.50]
2007 335i  [4.50]
2008 528i  [4.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epacy View Post
Oh, god. Here we go again...
+infinity E
!Xoible is offline   United_States
      03-11-2008, 11:49 AM   #29
M3aHOLIC84
Private First Class

Drives: 2002 Laguna Seca Blue M3

Because there are only a handfull of crackheads to go and pay that much for an M. I think the dealers are not doing anything stupid either. They mark them up really high and make their RIDICULOUS profits in the first 3 or 4 months then they will as always drop the prices when the hype is over and sell em like hotcakes. Also yes I hear many are waiting for the DCT. One final note, its not because of the economy because its actually a great buyers market. Those people really taking a hit by the economy probably would have not been looking at a 70k car anyways.
      03-11-2008, 12:25 PM   #30
wahoo
Bangin' my head against the wall

Drives: '08 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by yungmsix View Post
by summer time their will be dozens of them lying around in show rooms. they just say that. eh. bmw's first mistake was to give this car a 70K price. 60K would have been better fully loaded. but oh wells. whats done is done, and people will always love the M3. and your right the M3 doesnt take it by default, because i saw the C63 already and its a beast. i stepped inside of it recently, because some guy that owns every single AMG out there had it delivered to the Benz dealership i buy from and my boy hit me up to see it. and its a beast.
i think you are spot on. Especially when gas goes to $4/gallon for premium. When someone starts spending $300/mo on fuel, then sales will certainly level. I think BMW will ultimately regret taking the M up-market. Only time will tell. I plan on getting a 2yo used one.
      03-11-2008, 12:29 PM   #31
///Murdock
Private

Drives: 06 M5, 04 M3

Quote:
DCT will be better than 6-speed.
I dunno bout that.

Have u driven the 6MT? It is a VERY AWESOME transmission. I had the opportunity on Sunday to really spend some time in one, and found the transmission to be the best feature, very smooth, much improved (which is saying alot) from the e46 tranny... dont be so quick to knock... Have you driven the DCT?

I do have high EXPECTATIONS for DCT but you cant say it is BETTER
      03-11-2008, 12:34 PM   #32
yungmsix
Private

Drives: 2006 BMW M6

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to yungmsix
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Murdock View Post
I dunno bout that.

Have u driven the 6MT? It is a VERY AWESOME transmission. I had the opportunity on Sunday to really spend some time in one, and found the transmission to be the best feature, very smooth, much improved (which is saying alot) from the e46 tranny... dont be so quick to knock... Have you driven the DCT?

I do have high EXPECTATIONS for DCT but you cant say it is BETTER
I have an M6, SMG is a must for that car. the 6 speed is slower. i'm judging it on that. view the numbers on how they slip with the 6-speed, compared to the SMG. with that said the DUAL CLUTCH is suppose to be better than the SMG, the next step of the SMG, now how are you going to argue with that?
yungmsix is offline   United_States
      03-11-2008, 12:34 PM   #33
!Xoible
Banned

Garage List
2008 M3  [3.50]
2007 335i  [4.50]
2008 528i  [4.00]
IBL!

c'mon guys... why does every thread deteriorate into a 6mt vs. *.* or lease vs. buy.... this is ridiculous
      03-11-2008, 12:37 PM   #34
yungmsix
Private

Drives: 2006 BMW M6

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to yungmsix
Quote:
Originally Posted by mantis View Post
IBL!

c'mon guys... why does every thread deteriorate into a 6mt vs. *.* or lease vs. buy.... this is ridiculous
its a forum. its about agreeing, disagreeing. compromising, getting opinions. if you dont like it, why did you join a forum? no diss.
yungmsix is offline   United_States
      03-11-2008, 12:51 PM   #35
southlight

Quote:
I have an M6, SMG is a must for that car. the 6 speed is slower. i'm judging it on that. view the numbers on how they slip with the 6-speed, compared to the SMG. with that said the DUAL CLUTCH is suppose to be better than the SMG, the next step of the SMG, now how are you going to argue with that?
You know that DCT isn't exactly a further development of SMG, don't you?

Best regards, south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
      03-11-2008, 02:00 PM   #36
AndrewAZ
Major

Drives: 335i

DCT= noob driver who wants to look good.. It will be fun for about 2 months just like SMG was then you will be bored and starting topics if you can convert a DCT to a 6 speed. DCT is like having pre made food that you heat up in the microwave since you lack the skills to cook on the grill, if you practice and do everything right it will be more rewarding and fun in the long run to have a 6 speed.

Most E46 M3 owners are going to wait a good year since its still fresh in our minds about the engine issues off the start on the E46.

$70k is too much. I had a fully loaded E46 M without nav and the MSRP was $58k.

I will never pay MSRP for a car again.. I am waiting for the new car to be at Invoice plus $500.

Last of all I went to porsche the other day and could lease a $6xk caymen for $860 a month including tax with no money down. (I am hearing M3 lease numbers in the $1k range... Year right not worth it)
      03-11-2008, 02:00 PM   #37
FifthStreetz
O! So Sour!!

Drives: Fast e30 / Slow M3

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.75]
seems like every thread is being and becoming arguments between 6mt, dct or something else...
      03-11-2008, 02:52 PM   #38
msing
Private

Drives: 330i

i think it's primarily because of the current state of the US economy as well as the stiff competition that BMW is facing from other manufacturers who are now producing better vehicles (with competitive prices) than in the past to compete with the M3. the US $ has also weakened considerably against the Euro, which may also explain the 70k price tag for a fully loaded M3.

Check out this interesting article if you haven't seen it....it talks about BMW's plans of laying off thousands of workers.

http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/12/21/business/bmw.php

"Still, the layoffs are stark evidence that BMW faces a new competitive landscape. Porsche and Audi have close ties with Volkswagen, which analysts say will make them stronger in coming years. BMW's archrival, Mercedes-Benz, has finally emerged from the shadow of the failed DaimlerChrysler merger."

cheers!
      03-11-2008, 03:29 PM   #39
hakaida442
First Lieutenant

Drives: 11 Porsche 911 Carrera GTS

It's timing imho. Lots of other choices hitting the market at the same time. I think the C63 has a pretty big following because an ecu flash should restore the engine to 500hp easily and will crush the M3 in a straight line. The GTR is also getting a lot of attention because it is just flat out a monster in the straights and on the track and can also be easily upgraded with an ecu flash for crazy power. The M3 will be much more expensive to mod and a majority of the people that I know could care less about going to the track, but the m3 is a great overall package and still should sell very well.

Last edited by hakaida442; 03-11-2008 at 04:41 PM.
      03-11-2008, 03:45 PM   #40
rzm3

Drives: E92 M3

The car has only been launched for a couple days, so give it some time! This is a $70,000 piece of toy - not a $300 iPhone.

People who really want an M3 (like us) already ordered. The ones on the dealer lots are only supposed to be demos (most of them have full options), but many dealers are ignoring bmw's advice and marking them up way high for sale. So most rational people (who don't want it ASAP) would rather order one @ MSRP.

Moreover, M3 customers are usually enthusiasts who are very picky about color, options, etc., so that's why a lot of people would rather order them to get the exact car they want.

Last, how do you know there are "so many"? Just because there are serveral threads on this forum? M3 is a mass production car, so of course there will be ones sitting around on the lot.
      03-11-2008, 04:13 PM   #41
!Xoible
Banned

Garage List
2008 M3  [3.50]
2007 335i  [4.50]
2008 528i  [4.00]
Quote:
its a forum. its about agreeing, disagreeing. compromising, getting opinions. if you dont like it, why did you join a forum? no diss.
i know it's a forum. bro i have 27k posts, i know my shit lol
but every discussion turns into 6mt vs. other stuff... there's no end to it, no point and it's been beat to death sooo many times before
      03-11-2008, 04:39 PM   #42
Epacy
Reincarnated

Drives: 02 Maxima SE

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
You know that DCT isn't exactly a further development of SMG, don't you?

Best regards, south
He doesn't seem to really understand much at all by his posts.
      03-11-2008, 04:45 PM   #43
southlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epacy View Post
He doesn't seem to really understand much at all by his posts.
Already the second curiosity, possibly not the last.

Best regards, south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
      03-12-2008, 11:05 AM   #44
SteveMondragon
Seaman

Drives: E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewAZ View Post
DCT= noob driver who wants to look good.. It will be fun for about 2 months just like SMG was then you will be bored and starting topics if you can convert a DCT to a 6 speed. DCT is like having pre made food that you heat up in the microwave since you lack the skills to cook on the grill, if you practice and do everything right it will be more rewarding and fun in the long run to have a 6 speed.
On the contrary, my co-worker has had his E92 M3 since last week and hates the 6-spd in it... at least for his commute into work. Today he drove his wife's Range Rover but otherwise hated it the last few days driving into downtown LA with the manual gearbox. He said he liked driving his old E60 M5 becuase that at least was more comfortable to drive in traffic and still had plenty of power when needed. He likes his M3 and wants to keep on driving it on a daily basis but now plans on going to the dealership later this week to put down a deposit on the DCT model that comes out in the summer because he likes that setup better, and will trade in his 6-spd.

And before people start to say that it's a better setup for the track or racing, he has a 360 CS that is dedicated for runs at the track so I don't think he's worried about that.
SteveMondragon is offline   Niger